PDA

View Full Version : Cloth or disposable?

Fishman Dan
30th October 2007, 06:10 PM
Gang...

Here's one for the parents out there. The great debate, do you use cloth or disposable nappies? Do you use both?

There have been environmental impact studies done - water to wash vs pooey landfill and the process to make them in the first place?

What do people out there recommend. Seeing as though we'll be going through 10 or more changes per day for the first 'x' months, perhaps cloth isn't such a bad idea?

What did you do?

markTHEblake
30th October 2007, 06:13 PM
we did cloth for the first and disposable for our second.

from a purely cost point of there wasnt that much difference if you take into account all the time involved. you can trust me when I say washing cloth nappies is a crappy job, it makes changing nappies comparitively easy.

dont even consider cloth, no matter what the reasons. Baby and Parents will be much happier.

Jarro
30th October 2007, 06:15 PM
Cloth to start with (get the inlaws to buy you nappy-service for the first year as a pressie) then disposables.

goughy
30th October 2007, 06:53 PM
Studies have shown that there is little to no cost difference between cloth and disposable. And the environmental impact of all the cleaning and chemicals used with cloth is about the same as disposables. And chucking them away is mucho easier.

When we did our classes at the hospital we were asked this question by the sister running the classes. We were the only ones going 100% disposable in the whole class and she pretty much told the others they were nuts to use any cloth at all.

In fact I'd heard a few years ago that there was going to be a recycle service for diposables in Melbourne!

terryand
30th October 2007, 07:10 PM
Fishy, your sleep patterns will love you for disposables. With our first we put her in cloth and every time she was wet she would wake up. When we put her in disposable after about 3,4,5 months :smt102 she started to sleep alot longer.

With the second, straight into disposables and not a restless night from day one.

Terry.

Moe Norman
30th October 2007, 07:16 PM
can't even begin to imagine what it would be like using cloth nappies - wouldn't it leak out the side?

do you have to become a folding expert?

Stick with disposable mate, nice and easy

goughy
30th October 2007, 07:30 PM
Much much less nappy rash with disposables too!

AndyP
30th October 2007, 07:33 PM
A mixture of both for the first baby.

Only disposable for the second. Convenience being the main factor.

Tip: If you see any specials on disposables at the supermarkets, buy up now.

markTHEblake
30th October 2007, 07:43 PM
can't even begin to imagine what it would be like using cloth nappies - wouldn't it leak out the side?

Not really, the crap sticks to the nappy. Makes for a hellava job cleaning.

goughy
30th October 2007, 07:44 PM
Yeah, I usually end up getting boxes of huggies for $29 instead of rrp of $43. Somewhere always seems to have them at the price and when they do it's buy up big!!

Grunt
30th October 2007, 07:52 PM
Dan go disposables, we found a shop near here called New Nappyland. They are a bulk place is way cheaper to buy in lots of 50 or more. They have a few stores around Sydney, maybe one nearby you.

shavey
30th October 2007, 07:56 PM
Dan, been going through this dilemma with ours only three weeks away...

Visit www.bubhub.com.au and goto the forums.. seems Aldi (believe it or not) has the best disposables going around..

3oneday
30th October 2007, 07:56 PM
Go cloth Dan, best thing you will ever do 8)

sorry guys, I want him to experience cleaning the shite off the nappies, just when the wife has gone out and it starts to ooze out the side !!!:lol:

Fishman Dan
30th October 2007, 08:01 PM
Tip: If you see any specials on disposables at the supermarkets, buy up now.

Heard that before too, thanks AP. I mean, 6-10 PER DAY?!?!

Moe - the cloth ones these days come with velcro tabs so they shouldn't leak... :shock: I did my first ever at the pre-natal class the other day - safety pin and all. Baby didn't cry!!!

Baby was plastic however...

Jarro
30th October 2007, 08:06 PM
Safety pins are a thing of the past Dan, get a few of those little rubber thingies that don't stick the kid ..... they'll thankyou for it later in life, trust me ;)

3oneday
30th October 2007, 08:09 PM
We used those plastic things 10 years ago... maybe safety pins are politically incorrect !

Jarro
30th October 2007, 08:22 PM
And don't do what Lowey does and put the disposables in the freezer :roll:

markTHEblake
30th October 2007, 08:28 PM
Safety pins are a thing of the past Dan, get a few of those little rubber thingies that don't stick the kid

those rubber thingys are brilliant for keeping them wrapped in the blanket at night too

BrisVegas
30th October 2007, 08:45 PM
cloth for the first one. we even went as far as getting the fancy lined "cushy" nappies, that are washable, but are pre-shaped and have velcro tabs etc....

after about 12-18 months we went to disposables. They sleep better in disposables.

Aldi's nappies are great. We use either Aldi or Woolworths Select.

kpac
30th October 2007, 08:58 PM
if you're polishing a car get all over the cloth ones dan...

PeteyD
30th October 2007, 09:01 PM
Disposables are much better. Huggies when they are little, nothing comes close. You can branch out to cheaper ones when they get older.

goughy
30th October 2007, 09:04 PM
Huggies are the rolls royce, and they are the best. My sister uses the aldi ones during the day and huggies through the night. I bought some of the aldi ones to try but they just weren't up with the huggies.

Fishman Dan
30th October 2007, 09:11 PM
And don't do what Lowey does and put the disposables in the freezer :roll:

Story!!

Is this a new way he's found to low-ball?

just
30th October 2007, 09:15 PM
Buy the cheapest ones your missus will let you get away with. The little mongrels will bleed you dry in the long run.:)

We used a mix of cloth and disposables for both. Huggies Newborns are the only way to start because they are the only decent newborn nappy out there. After that don't ever waste your money on Huggies again, they are overpriced and quite frankly there is not much difference between nappies. Buy whatever is on special in bulk.

markTHEblake
30th October 2007, 09:22 PM
Either that or just stick em in the backyard in the morning, and hose em off at sunset.

terryand
30th October 2007, 09:25 PM
if you're polishing a car get all over the cloth ones dan...

Good for golf towels too ;)

Terry.

kpac
30th October 2007, 09:41 PM
Good for golf towels too ;)

Terry.

i like where you heads at tez 8-)

Jarro
31st October 2007, 06:22 AM
Any other tips you need Dan ?

3oneday
31st October 2007, 07:52 AM
Any other tips you need Dan ?hang them on the cloths line and hose them off ?

You can do this with the nappies as well ;)

Fishman Dan
31st October 2007, 09:54 AM
Any other tips you need Dan ?

Is it true that cutting the umbilical is like getting a knife through half-cooked calamari?

BrisVegas
31st October 2007, 10:11 AM
yes.

AndyP
31st October 2007, 10:12 AM
I can't really remember, and didn't do it the second time around, but it wasn't easy. I didn't find anything particularly rewarding about cutting the cord.

AndyP
31st October 2007, 10:22 AM
I wasn't going anywhere near the frikkin cord.
I sat in with the bride for all 3 caesars....and that was ugly enough, even behind the sheet of doom.
I thought all the blood on the floor was cool. Seeing all of the guts sitting outside of the body up around her chest was pretty special too. 8)

Fishman Dan
31st October 2007, 10:27 AM
I thought all the blood on the floor was cool. Seeing all of the guts sitting outside of the body up around her chest was pretty special too. 8)

I'm frikkin' dobbing that post. You are a disgrace!

BrisVegas
31st October 2007, 10:28 AM
wait til they show you the placenta. And then tell you how some mothers like to take it home and cook it up.

AndyP
31st October 2007, 10:31 AM
It tastes like chicken.

BrisVegas
31st October 2007, 10:33 AM
yeah, a chicken that's been eaten by a giant squid.

3oneday
31st October 2007, 10:46 AM
eewwww, great thread Dan :p

Eag's
31st October 2007, 10:48 AM
No disrespect to any of you blokes but Damn I am glad I don't have kids :shock: ;)

Fishman Dan
31st October 2007, 10:50 AM
wait til they show you the placenta. And then tell you how some mothers like to take it home and cook it up.

They touched on that during the ante-natal classes. We've got a fully stocked Coles up the road, but I'll remember that if we get peckish over the Xmas period.

poidda
31st October 2007, 10:58 AM
Worst Thread Ever!

kpac
31st October 2007, 11:04 AM

thats the most disgusting thing i've ever heard!

Fishman Dan
31st October 2007, 11:12 AM
Worst Thread Ever!

I'm dobbing this one too - this is the BEST thread ever!!

Kpac - it's true ;)

Eag's
31st October 2007, 11:15 AM
thats the most disgusting thing i've ever heard!

Kent, I could tell you some things that would make Dion's seem like child's play ;)

3oneday
31st October 2007, 11:27 AM
Kent, I could tell you some things that would make Dion's seem like child's play ;)via PM I hope !!!

:lol:

Eag's
31st October 2007, 11:32 AM
via PM I hope !!!

:lol:

haha yes mate I don't want to make anyone lose their lunch ;)

Webster
31st October 2007, 02:48 PM

Here are a few recipes you wont find on the Foxtel Cooking channel 117

http://www.twilightheadquarters.com/placenta.html

goughy
31st October 2007, 08:14 PM
I wasn't going anywhere near the frikkin cord.
I sat in with the bride for all 3 caesars....and that was ugly enough, even behind the sheet of doom.

If anyone is wondering, I have colour and black and white photo's of both our kids births. For jaz I had an slr with b/w and one of those disposable flash cameras for colour. With kyan I just had the digital slr!

Our OB even asked me if I wanted to come and take a pic of the glory shot (the 'wound' before stitching up) which I did :twisted:

Funny thing is, if I hadn't I wouldn't have got one of the best shots! Jaz was breach and I have a b/w shot of her coming out butt first where one of the lights was shining behind her. Kind of looks like the sun is shining from her ass!

Jarro
31st October 2007, 08:18 PM
You are a sick, sick man Mr Gough ......... :smt078

Eag's
31st October 2007, 08:21 PM
Umm not exactly something you can pull out to show at family get togethers Goughy, or maybe you do 8-[ :smt108

PeteyD
31st October 2007, 09:06 PM
Now that is a bunch of 21st birthday photos if ever there was one.

You don't know gross until you talk to nurses, hey Eags.

Jarro
31st October 2007, 09:14 PM

I dunno, i work with a guy that used to be an Ambo ... some of his stories are bad enough to make a bloke hit the drink :smt030

Eag's
31st October 2007, 09:18 PM
Now that is a bunch of 21st birthday photos if ever there was one.

Damn straight Pete ;)
Very true Jarro those blokes deserve a medal.

markTHEblake
2nd November 2007, 12:38 PM
I dunno, i work with a guy that used to be an Ambo ... some of his stories are bad enough to make a bloke hit the drink :smt030

i used to know ambos, so I agree with ya, especially the one that told me what happened when that balloon fell out of the sky in Alice.

But the Funeral parlour guy i knew told much worse stories....