PDA

View Full Version : Paradise Palms renos

Courty
25th October 2007, 09:20 PM
Received this email today:

As you are aware Paradise Palms is undergoing a transformation that will position it as one of the most popular and challenging resort golf courses in Australia. “The Keys” apartments will be due to open March 2008, with “The Entry Statement” due for completion on November 2. The next phase involves the construction of a 96 room resort, adventure playground and “Putt Putt” course. The bottom level of the Clubhouse will also undergo a major renovation which will result in a modern “state of the art” Pro Shop and food and beverage facilities.

This work has commenced and will run for a period of approximately 12 months. There will be minor disruptions but we are confident that you will be as excited about the changes and improvements as we are.

The schedule of works that we have planned is as follows:

23 October 2007
- Earthworks will commence for the construction of a new 18th green. The existing green will be in operation throughout this period.

20 November 2007
- The surface of the 18th green will be relocated to the new green, with a temporary green in play for four weeks.
- Construction of the Resort and Putt Putt course will commence along with the earthworks for the creation of Adventure Park (located near the existing volley ball court)

1 December 2007
- The refurbishment of the ground floor of the Clubhouse will commence. Food and beverage facilities will operate from the Orchid Room on the upper level for breakfast and lunch only. During this time the Pro Shop will be in relocated to a temporary building in the cart staying area.

18 December 2007
- The new 18th green opens

14 April 2008
- Club House refurbishment will be completed and will re-open along with the Adventure Park and Putt Putt golf.

1 October 2008
- The Resort accommodation and our fabulous new gymnasium and spa as well as the Hair and Beauty Salon are scheduled for completion.

- Clubhouse top floor refurbishment commences.

We have gone to considerable lengths to ensure that disruption to patrons is kept to a minimum and that amenities and facilities will remain available during the period of redevelopment.

Once these renovations and additions are completed, we will have one of the finest golfing facilities in the country.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any queries on 4059 9999.

On behalf of the management and staff at Paradise Palms, I would like to thank you for your support.

Yours sincerely

Nathan Young
General Manager

Some big changes in the wind. 69er, you know anything about the 18th green?

Courty
1st May 2008, 03:23 PM
More info on the reno's: here (http://www.cairns.com.au/article/2008/05/01/3529_local-sport-news.html). Sounds like they're going to try to replicate the 17th at Sawgrass. :roll:

haysey
8th May 2008, 02:14 PM
Courty, Do you know how they,re handling the removal of the 7th. Does 8 become 7 as a par 4 followed by this island green par 3??

I've got a feeling i'm not going to like the place much by the time all this development work is done.

mike
8th May 2008, 06:24 PM
Courty, Do you know how they,re handling the removal of the 7th. Does 8 become 7 as a par 4 followed by this island green par 3??
Apparently when #7 goes, #1 will be converted from a par 5 into a par 4 and a par 3. Not real sure where the island par 3 will be. Probably the new 8 (?) maybe even the new #2.
Can't figure out what will happen to the existing #9 . The new #9 is going to be the old #18 I think.

I've got a feeling i'm not going to like the place much by the time all this development work is done.
I think it's going to be great. I'm glad they're doing something. It would've been easy to cut #7, change the 1st to a 4 and a 3, and have the same old course as a par 71.

One thing's for sure, the place is going to be a big mess for a couple of years.

It's a shame about #7 being bulldozed. What a brilliant par 3.

Fishman Dan
8th May 2008, 06:40 PM

Agree. It was a fantastic hole.

haysey
9th May 2008, 06:07 AM
Apparently when #7 goes, #1 will be converted from a par 5 into a par 4 and a par 3. Not real sure where the island par 3 will be. Probably the new 8 (?) maybe even the new #2.
Can't figure out what will happen to the existing #9 . The new #9 is going to be the old #18 I think.
I think it's going to be great. I'm glad they're doing something. It would've been easy to cut #7, change the 1st to a 4 and a 3, and have the same old course as a par 71.
One thing's for sure, the place is going to be a big mess for a couple of years.

I thought the old #9 was going for units. But if that happens and #18 becomes #9 where does the new #18 go?

No doubt it will still be a great course. I'm not a fan of the developers building style and am a little concerned about the final look of the whole place.

Agree on #7. My favorite hole, shame to see it go.

mike
9th May 2008, 09:57 PM
I thought the old #9 was going for units. But if that happens and #18 becomes #9 where does the new #18 go?

Units on the old #9 ? Right in the guts of the course ? Wouldn't surprise me.

The new #18 is shifting to the right of the existing #18, running closer to the water. They're levelling that huge hill/mound and half filling the lake to make the new fairway.

haysey
10th May 2008, 03:14 PM
Units on the old #9 ? Right in the guts of the course ? Wouldn't surprise me.
The new #18 is shifting to the right of the existing #18, running closer to the water. They're levelling that huge hill/mound and half filling the lake to make the new fairway.

In todays cairns post there is a full page add detailing zoning changes, etc needed for development approval.

The way the add reads the zoning changes for the building work inside the golf course still have to go to council for approval. It makes you wonder what would happen with the golf course works that are going on if approval was declined by the council

It also has a fairly vague picture of the new routing of the course and housing where the current #9 is

mike
10th May 2008, 06:05 PM
If they build units on 9, where will their access be ?

haysey
10th May 2008, 08:14 PM
It looks like access is through the carpark into the driving range/#7 hole area, then around the clubhouse. ( How they plan to make this work with golf club operations I have no idea)

BrettM
11th May 2008, 06:57 AM
The new 8th green is going in the deep pond just past the left of the 17th tee. Will play around 140m from memory. New 9 and 18 run parallel with each other with Mt. Fuji to fill in some of the pond on 10. The 18th green was sprigged with TifEagle last week I think.

Fishman Dan
13th May 2008, 03:43 PM
It's a shame to rip up the course. As strange as Mt Fuji was, it was a bit of an icon of the final hole.

Does anyone know if the expansion part of the original plan?

Courty
13th May 2008, 03:47 PM
Does anyone know if the expansion part of the original plan?

No it's not. The course got new owners last year (all of them property developers :roll:) and they are now chopping it up to make as much money as they can from land sales.

Courty
28th November 2008, 06:39 PM
http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/4876/pphareanov2008pl3.jpg

Pic courtesy of Haysey.

It shows the residential area will encompass the entire 9th hole (as expected), but also the lake beside it, which I thought was to be converted into a stadium par 3 with island green a la the 17th at TPC Sawgrass.

haysey
28th November 2008, 06:43 PM
Pic courtesy of Haysey.

It shows the residential area will encompass the entire 9th hole (as expected), but also the lake beside it, which I thought was to be converted into a stadium par 3 with island green a la the 17th at TPC Sawgrass.

Thanks Courty,

I'm not sure whats going on with the lake either, maybe someone got a little exuberant with the red pen:roll:

haysey
28th November 2008, 06:51 PM
Oh and if anyones interested there's some background here.... http://www.cairnsblog.net/2008/11/paradice-palms-steam-rolling-ahead.html (http://www.cairnsblog.net/2008/11/paradice-palms-steam-rolling-ahead.html)

How stuffed up is it that I can post a link but not a picture from the link:roll:

mike
19th March 2009, 11:06 PM
This done/started yet ?

Courty
20th March 2009, 05:51 AM
The new 18th green has looked ready to use for some time. I'm not sure what they're waiting for.