PDA

View Full Version : My finest hour...I finally conquered this game

Pages : [1] 2

scarfie1
21st October 2007, 04:32 PM
Well I finally did it...I shot par. My lifelong goal has finally been reached at the tender age of 22. Beat my previous best by 2 shots.

It's funny because for the last couple of weeks I have been thinking really hard about how to score. I came up with a relatively easy (in theory) solution: 4 bogeys, 4 birdies, the rest pars. Well today I did just that :mrgreen:

This was after shooting a miserable 86 at Kooralbyn just 3 days ago. Well I bought a new putter and went to the practice green. Then I really took my time on the course (lined up putts etc.) 3 putted twice but sunk two 20+ footers on the closing holes, and finished with an even par 71.

Next goal..break par.

Jarro
21st October 2007, 04:36 PM
Congrats Scarfie.

What course did you play today ?

scarfie1
21st October 2007, 04:36 PM
Thanks Jarro, I played Surfers as usual

Jarro
21st October 2007, 04:38 PM
.. and my next question ??

What's your handicap ?

3oneday
21st October 2007, 04:40 PM
haha, and was it in a comp :lol:

Doesn't matter anyway, well played 8)

scarfie1
21st October 2007, 04:49 PM
Jarro...my index is 5.1, but that could be somewhat misleading as it is only based off 6 cards.

And no it was not in a comp. I don't really play in too many comps as I'm not a full member anywhere and I just like playing socially by myself or with a mate. Comp golf has it's pros and cons but I hate playing with people that take it too seriously especially around the greens (I adhere to al the rules BTW) resulting in massively slow play. 3 Practice swings on every shot etc. It only takes me 2.5 hours compared to 4+ in a comp, and I like it that way.

BrisVegas
21st October 2007, 05:00 PM
congratulations scarfie! Hope you do it again soon.

markTHEblake
21st October 2007, 05:05 PM
Did you bomb it over the lake on the 18th to set up your best score or did you lay up like girly tosser that hits 5w bunts of the tee. :smt038

scarfie1
21st October 2007, 05:08 PM
Did you bomb it over the lake on the 18th to set up your best score or did you lay up like girly tosser that hits 5w bunts of the tee. :smt038

I always bomb it over the lake :) (well always try), infact today was one of my biggest, cut the corner, middle of the fairway and had 175m to the hole. Had 5 iron but came up a little short, only got par.

markTHEblake
21st October 2007, 05:19 PM
Nice work, the round wouldnt count if you didnt man up.

Jarro
21st October 2007, 05:21 PM
Nice work, the round wouldnt count if you didnt man up.

Says who ?

PeteyD
21st October 2007, 05:59 PM
Nice shooting Scarfie. Good to see your puting woes were only at Kooralbyn!

scarfie1
21st October 2007, 06:02 PM
Nice shooting Scarfie. Good to see your puting woes were only at Kooralbyn!

Thanks Pete, yeah I'm not usually a spastic putter like I was on thursday. Too much pressure of performing in front of you guys, the nerves got to me:smt081

PeteyD
21st October 2007, 06:04 PM
Ha. I just played like a mong, shouldn't have bothered you at all ;)

rick3003
21st October 2007, 06:15 PM
Well done on the par round. Always satisfying to shoot an even round.

Grunt
21st October 2007, 06:18 PM
Nice work, par is something that will more than likely never happen for me, net par maybe.

perci
21st October 2007, 06:22 PM
Good Shooting mate!

phoeno
21st October 2007, 06:37 PM
Congrats on the par round, at 22 there will be plenty more I am sure.

So what if he lays up, that was Zach Johnson's plan at the masters this year and he did alright !

markTHEblake
21st October 2007, 06:43 PM
If you know the hole then you would appreciate how much balls it took to go for it with a PB on the line.

scarfie1
21st October 2007, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone. Regarding laying up, it's my luck lately that when I do lay up, things turn to sh*t. i.e I would hook my 3 wood off the tee, or stuff up the second shot and place pressure on hitiing GIR etc. Sometimes I have more confidence to blast it with the driver than layup, especially on that hole where the only real trouble is out right, I'd have to really stuff it up to be out there.

markTHEblake
21st October 2007, 07:15 PM
especially on that hole where the only real trouble is out right, I'd have to really stuff it up to be out there.

you forgotten about the water long left as well, that comes into play if you try to carry the water. ;)

scarfie1
21st October 2007, 07:25 PM
Yeah don't remind me, i've been in there a few times. I only really end up there when I'm not trying to carry the water and just hit straight but end up hitting too far.

Webster
21st October 2007, 08:05 PM
Nice round. But until you can do it in a competition round, todays score will always have an "*" beside it.

PeteyD
21st October 2007, 08:13 PM
You blast that driver pretty well, good reason to have confidence in it.

You are a harsh man Jack.

scarfie1
21st October 2007, 08:14 PM
I don't really see what difference it makes, it would be nice to do it in a tournament, something worth winning, but a weekly competition is nothing, just a bunch of blokes competing for a few crappy balls and vouchers. To me golf is golf, par is par, no matter what the circumstance. It's not like the course gets harder or anything, there were some pretty tricky pins out today and the tees were back.

Eag's
21st October 2007, 08:32 PM
Very nice score top stuff :smt038

markTHEblake
21st October 2007, 08:42 PM
I don't really see what difference it makes.

Makes a huge difference to my golf, as I have always sucked at social play, I guess becuase there is little reason to care.

I might need to take up punting on myself.

Johnny Canuck
22nd October 2007, 12:37 AM
I don't really see what difference it makes, it would be nice to do it in a tournament, something worth winning, but a weekly competition is nothing, just a bunch of blokes competing for a few crappy balls and vouchers. To me golf is golf, par is par, no matter what the circumstance. It's not like the course gets harder or anything, there were some pretty tricky pins out today and the tees were back.

agree 100%. i don't feel anymore pressure in a comp round then i do in a social round as i usually have some $$ riding on every social round that i play. i take more care and line up putts a little longer in a comp round, which can lead to a better score.

i think comps are somewhat b/s in general as handicaps come into play (although i still play every week). it's like giving someone a head start in a race and then having them turn around and tell me that they are faster.

it's the same dumbass argument that says a hole in one shouldn't count in a non-comp round. is it any easier? i think not.

good work on the 71.

Jarro
22nd October 2007, 12:41 AM
it's the same dumbass argument that says a hole in one shouldn't count in a non-comp round. is it any easier? i think not.

I agree 100%.

Although it'd be nice to have an "official" hole-in-one in comp play, i have no probs with somebody spruking off about one in social play at all ... providing they have a witness to the event :smt023

Man JC, this is gonna fire up plenty of debate now :roll: :lol:

goughy
22nd October 2007, 05:59 AM
Makes a huge difference to my golf, as I have always sucked at social play, I guess becuase there is little reason to care.

I might need to take up punting on myself.

Where is I am the opposite, or at least was. I generally played much better socially than in a comp. Now days I just don't care, and play shite at either!

oz
22nd October 2007, 06:09 AM
Re: the comp issue... it only matters, if it matters to you. If it makes no difference to you, then that's cool. Congrats on the PB. Always satisfying. Well done.

Webster
22nd October 2007, 06:30 AM
Its a nice score in a social round. Nothing more than that. It wont count for handicapping purposes. If you had a hole in one during that round then that would not count for anything either.

I would like to see you repeat it in an official competition round, then I may be somewhat tempted to go along with your humble statement of:

"My finest hour...I finally conquered this game "

terryand
22nd October 2007, 06:39 AM
Its a nice score in a social round. Nothing more than that. It wont count for handicapping purposes. If you had a hole in one during that round then that would could for anything either.

I would like to see you repeat it in an official competition round, then I may be somewhat tempted to go along with your humble statement of:

:-# :-#

chappy1970
22nd October 2007, 07:34 AM
Well done mate, fantastic effort.

Haven't done it myself, but it is a goal of mine.

scarfie1
22nd October 2007, 07:41 AM
Its a nice score in a social round. Nothing more than that. It wont count for handicapping purposes. If you had a hole in one during that round then that would not count for anything either.

I don't get this whole belief that competition golf is the only golf thats counts BS. Who was the almighty one that decied that. I understand that I won't get my name on some board if I shoot the course record or get a hole in one, but that doesn't matter, all I care about is that I did it. It does count for something because I make it count, and thats all that matters, what I think. To me I played the game of golf by the rules of golf, and any score should count, whether your competing against other hackers or not.

3oneday
22nd October 2007, 07:51 AM
Was it off the plates ?

:lol:

Just mucking around, I always think of social golf, off the yellows and about 50 in front of the normal tees :)

scarfie1
22nd October 2007, 07:59 AM
Was it off the plates ?

Just mucking around, I always think of social golf, off the yellows and about 50 in front of the normal tees :)

I always play off the back tees, however due to bad tee conditions they weren't 100% off the plates, but not much inbetween. Only a couple of metres on each hole. It's funny how they say social players must play off the whites....what a joke, they assume your going to be a hacker and hack up the tee box or something. It's just another one of the stupid members rules I ignore.

mikezone13
22nd October 2007, 08:38 AM
It's funny how they say social players must play off the whites....what a joke, they assume your going to be a hacker and hack up the tee box or something. It's just another one of the stupid members rules I ignore.

Agree, although yellow are social tee colours at most courses in NSW.

I think that as a social player but hold an AGU handicap you should definitely be allowed to play off the member tees.

Flowergirl
22nd October 2007, 10:24 AM
I agree with the intelligent posts here ( and not with the obvious ones who are just sh*t stirrrers) What difference does it make if it is a comp round or a social round. It is still golf!!!!!!!!!!! Why doesn't it matter if it's not in a comp round. Does that mean that the pros could turn around and say to us - "oh that doesn't count cos it wasn't on tour".
He played by the rules -and on the day - he conquered the game. Doesn't mean he'll do it every time for now - but he acheived his goal and I say CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!:smt038 :smt038 :smt038 :smt038

peter_rs
22nd October 2007, 10:41 AM
congrats scarfie.

I don't think comp has anything to do with shooting a PB. But I know shooting a PB in comp is better (You know you shot the best score of any person on that day). Its one thing to say I set a new pb but if the course rated 6 shot easier that day its not your best. In my case I have broken 80 twice once at windaroo of the social tees on a perfect golf day the other at nudgee in high winds when the comp CCR was 2 over. I know the nudgee round is more special.

As per the title he conquered a goal not the game. good luck reaching the next goal.

mike
22nd October 2007, 12:15 PM
I don't get this whole belief that competition golf is the only golf thats counts BS. Who was the almighty one that decided that.

Jim

Jarro
22nd October 2007, 12:19 PM
Jim

I'm sure he had a little help from his friends ;)

3oneday
22nd October 2007, 01:20 PM
Whatever butters your bread I guess. I shot 29 the other day, playing a par 30 with my son, it means nothing to me at all (apart from watching my son).

If I was even par on my home track, playing comp, and had a 10 footer on the last for 70.... well to me that means something because I make it mean something to me.

So Scarfie1, if you make it mean something and get as much out of it as I would with my scenario, full kudos to you 8)

BrisVegas
22nd October 2007, 01:23 PM
par 70? what sort of pitch'n'putt track do you play ??? :wink:

3oneday
22nd October 2007, 01:26 PM
par 70? what sort of pitch'n'putt track do you play ??? :wink::lol:, sorry, the putt would have been birdie, par 71 ;)

Johnny Canuck
22nd October 2007, 01:47 PM
golf is a game that is played on many differnt levels, by many people.

i have broken par in both comp events and non-comp events. i can't really say that one was more satisfying than the other. whenever i play, i simply play against par. if someone says "hey good round, net 70 is a good score", I say thanks, but I still look at it is being 3 over what I should have shot.
the only difference between shooting under par in a comp event is that i might get a $50 gift certificate to spend in my pro shop that has no stock in it whatsoever (although this usually won't happen because some 27 handicapper will have 46 points). I might win $15-$20 in a social round, or even nothing. However, the only thing that is important to me is having the satisfaction of breaking par, without the aid of course ratings or a handicap. The satisfaction of "beating" the game for just one day is all that I need to make me come back the next day, shoot 90 and wonder what the hell went wrong.

scarfie1
22nd October 2007, 06:19 PM
Well said Johnny

Moe Norman
22nd October 2007, 06:59 PM

It counts for "1" on the scorecard. It won't be on the honour board, but its still a hole-in-one.

goughy
22nd October 2007, 07:05 PM
If you were a yank you could have handed it in for handicapping! Go figure. Always disliked that about the US system. But then again, do they get the access to several weekly comps like we do here?

Great score, regardless of how it happened. My best mate had shot his best round at our home club in a social round with iain and I always gave him props on that.

You're a tough man Jackie boy :)

Webster
22nd October 2007, 07:32 PM
It counts for "1" on the scorecard. It won't be on the honour board, but its still a hole-in-one.

If you are not playing in the comp then there is no point at all in even recording the scores on a scorecard, unless you want to write it down and show it to your mates to impress them (even though they will probably ask "was it in a comp")?

scarfie1
22nd October 2007, 07:40 PM
If you are not playing in the comp then there is no point at all in even recording the scores on a scorecard, unless you want to write it down and show it to your mates to impress them (even though they will probably ask "was it in a comp")?

Are you being serious? How about writing the score down so you no what you scored so you can set new benchmarks etc. For the love of the game, make you keep coming back and trying to better it.

Your the only idiot that cares if it was in a comp or not.

Webster
22nd October 2007, 07:50 PM
Are you being serious? How about writing the score down so you no what you scored so you can set new benchmarks etc. For the love of the game, make you keep coming back and trying to better it.

If you are only playing for fun then you should keep the scores in your head. Only comp rounds should be written down, as the card needs to be handed in. Social or fun rounds dont mean anything and you can't hand the card in for handicapping purposes.

What is the point of trying to better the score if it has no impact on your handicap? How do you even know if you are getting better or worse if your scores arent being recorded officially?

And of course if the par round is questions is to be 100% legitimised then it will be in a comp and recorded on your golflink record. Otherwise you may just be making the whole thing up!

scarfie1
22nd October 2007, 07:59 PM
If you are only playing for fun then you should keep the scores in your head. Only comp rounds should be written down, as the card needs to be handed in. Social or fun rounds dont mean anything and you can't hand the card in for handicapping purposes.

Socials round not meaning anything just shows that you're nieve in understanding why other people play the game.

What is the point of trying to better the score if it has no impact on your handicap? How do you even know if you are getting better or worse if your scores arent being recorded officially?

Who cares about handicaps. I know when I'm getting better because I'm not retarded and can tell when a 71 is better than the 76 I usually shoot. Handicaps are just for making that 85 you shoot seem better by reducing the score for a nett result.

And of course if the par round is questions is to be 100% legitimised then it will be in a comp and recorded on your golflink record. Otherwise you may just be making the whole thing up!

Yep thats what I am doing, making the whole thing up. I don't really care what anyone else thinks, I play golf for my own satisfaction and trying to shoot better every time I play. Grow up.

Fishman Dan
22nd October 2007, 08:02 PM
Has anyone conquered this game?

Webster
22nd October 2007, 08:06 PM
I don't really care what anyone else thinks, I play golf for my own satisfaction and trying to shoot better every time I play. Grow up.

Then why come on here telling everyone what a ferking superstar you are for alledgely shooting a par round that wasnt even in an official competition ? For all we know you made the whole thing up and everythign you say is just a load of crap? You have no proof!

Andrew
22nd October 2007, 08:12 PM
I have never kept score when playing a social round, especially with the amount of different courses I play. Scoring tends to get in the way of me taking in the course, so I’m just happy remembering a few good holes, laughing at the bad ones & spending some time with friends.

In saying that, I don’t really mind how you treat the round, Scarfie.

terryand
22nd October 2007, 08:17 PM

Jack, what about the masses out there that aren't as fortunate as to have a AGU or a club. Do you think your theories affect the way they play the game or the the enjoyment they get out of it.

Terry.

Webster
22nd October 2007, 08:20 PM
I'm sure they can still enjoy their golf Terry. But blowing your own trumpet big time on this (or any other) website when it all counts for nought and you have no proof is an entirely different matter altogether.

mikezone13
22nd October 2007, 08:21 PM
I have never kept score when playing a social round, especially with the amount of different courses I play. Scoring tends to get in the way of me taking in the course, so I’m just happy remembering a few good holes, laughing at the bad ones & spending some time with friends.

In saying that, I don’t really mind how you treat the round, Scarfie.

Do you even keep score in a comp round? I thought you just scored NCR;s? ;)

For the record, I keep scores in a social round and even keep stats (as long as it's not played off the social tees). If I didn't keep score how would I know who won the money? ;)

For the argument, shooting par is shooting par ... is shooting par around Cypress Point in a 'social' round easier or harder than shooting even par in a comp round at your home track? I know which one I'd be happier with, and as far as records go I could just do what everyone did before computers have my playing partner record the score and sign it.

What would your argument be jack if there was no golflink, how would you verify shooting par in a comp round? Probably show someone a scorecard or get a signed letter from your club handicapper? :D

Disclamier: I play about 7 or 8 comp rounds to every 1 social round.

scarfie1
22nd October 2007, 08:21 PM
Then why come on here telling everyone what a ferking superstar you are for alledgely shooting a par round that wasnt even in an official competition ? For all we know you made the whole thing up and everythign you say is just a load of crap? You have no proof!

Because beleive it or not, there are people on hear that care about how others score and Im sure every golfer can appreciate someone doing something for the first time. I think it's sad that your trying to shoot me down because it wasn't in a comp. You've got to understand thats how I play my golf. How many times do I have to say it, golf is not defined by competition. When you look up the definiton of golf does it say: can only be played AGAINST OTHERS IN COMP.

When I first started playing 12 years ago and learnt how to hit a five wood pretty good, do you think my old man said...now now unless you can hit like that in a comp it doesn't matter....NO.

I don't give a f**K whether my round is credible or not. I don't need proof of my round for dickheads like you, and saying that I'm calling myself a ferking superstar just sounds a little jealous.

Andrew
22nd October 2007, 08:23 PM
D

For the argument, shooting par is shooting par ... is shooting par around Cypress Point in a 'social' round easier or harder than shooting even par in a comp round at your home track?

My home track is much harder than Cypress Point ;)

Webster
22nd October 2007, 08:24 PM
What would your argument be jack if there was no golflink, how would you verify shooting par in a comp round? Probably show someone a scorecard or get a signed letter from your club handicapper? :D

Golflink makes little difference other than making it easier to verify to score by seeing it easily online. Under the old system, the score recorded in a competition round would still be manually entered into your handicap record at your club and a copy can be taken to prove to everyone that it actually happened.

Webster
22nd October 2007, 08:28 PM
Because beleive it or not, there are people on hear that care about how others score and Im sure every golfer can appreciate someone doing something for the first time. I think it's sad that your trying to shoot me down because it wasn't in a comp. You've got to understand thats how I play my golf. How many times do I have to say it, golf is not defined by competition. When you look up the definiton of golf does it say: can only be played AGAINST OTHERS IN COMP.

When I first started playing 12 years ago and learnt how to hit a five wood pretty good, do you think my old man said...now now unless you can hit like that in a comp it doesn't matter....NO.

I don't give a f**K whether my round is credible or not. I don't need proof of my round for dickheads like you, and saying that I'm calling myself a ferking superstar just sounds a little jealous.

It is becoming very obvious from your uncontrollable emotional outbursts that your credibility has been damaged to the point where your whole story has a distinct smell to it. What started out as a nice little rant about a probable fictitious score has turned into you becoming extremely defensive when challenged to provide some proof - of which, of course, you have none. I do not believe a word of your story anymore.

mikezone13
22nd October 2007, 08:28 PM
Golflink makes little difference other than making it easier to verify to score by seeing it easily online. Under the old system, the score recorded in a competition round would still be manually entered into your handicap record at your club and a copy can be taken to prove to everyone that it actually happened.

Yes it could, so can a signed scorecard from a social round I assume? And if there was no golflink would you expect to have to show mates/associates your handicap record for a par/under par round? No you'd just tell them and they'd congratulate you, no questions asked... where has the trust gone in this world.... ;)

scarfie1
22nd October 2007, 08:29 PM
I'm sure they can still enjoy their golf Terry. But blowing your own trumpet big time on this (or any other) website when it all counts for nought and you have no proof is an entirely different matter altogether.

Seems like it counts for naught only for you. And to think I'm blowing my trumpet big time, by starting a simple thread about how I shot PAR is just plain ol dumb. This is the first time I have ever mentioned my scoring, it's not like I keep people constantly updated every time I shoot my PB or pull off a great shot.

It's people like you that ruin a great site like this. How about you stay out of all my threads in the future as you obviosuly don't bring anything positive to the table.

mikezone13
22nd October 2007, 08:29 PM
My home track is much harder than Cypress Point ;)

Hmm.... dunno, while I'd hope not to score worse there than at Newcastle, I'm sure I probably would. :(

Webster
22nd October 2007, 08:31 PM
Yes it could, so can a signed scorecard from a social round I assume? And if there was no golflink would you expect to have to show mates/associates your handicap record for a par/under par round? No you'd just tell them and they'd congratulate you, no questions asked... where has the trust gone in this world.... ;)

Because the card would not have the CCR recorded on it by the club pro or clubs handicapper. And I would ask "did you win the comp with that score?" and if you answered "it wasnt in the comp" then you would have no cred and the round would have no standing.

terryand

But saying that, if he is "blowing his own trumpet and has no proof", who is he cheating, you, me, no he's only cheating himself.

Terry.

Eag's
Hmm.... dunno, while I'd hope not to score worse there than at Newcastle, I'm sure I probably would. :(

Nah Newcastle was a push over mate :smt090 :smt037

mikezone13
22nd October 2007, 08:33 PM
Because the card would not have the CCR recorded on it by the club pro or clubs handicapper. And I would ask "did you win the comp with that score?" and if you answered "it wasnt in the comp" then you would have no cred and the round would have no standing.

Interesting point of view, wonder how those that play in a registered social club think about it?

Fishman Dan
22nd October 2007, 08:35 PM
I mean, conquer is a tough word. I could argue I conquered this game by making 4 birdies last weekend...... You could argue that Tiger conquered this game when he won $20m this year or something, but got beaten by a Canadian chopper in the Prezzies Cup.....

3oneday
22nd October 2007, 08:35 PM
Interesting point of view, wonder how those that play in a registered social club think about it?registered social clubs play off social tees don't they ? probably a different argument ;)

Someone hand me a beer please 8)

markTHEblake
22nd October 2007, 08:37 PM
Scarfie meet Jack - Ozgolf's official grumpy bastard.

mikezone13
22nd October 2007, 08:37 PM
registered social clubs play off social tees don't they ? probably a different argument ;)

Dunno, but I'll have a Cascade thanks :)

Eag's
22nd October 2007, 08:38 PM
registered social clubs play off social tees don't they ? probably a different argument ;)

and pass the pizza ;)

terryand

No,no,no, can we put a hold on this till tomorrow, I gotta go to bed :oops:

the rate this is going I won't have time to read the rest of it at work tomorrow :-s

Terry.

mikezone13
I propose scarfie and jack play a showdown of 2 rounds of strokeplay, one in a comp and the other socially... I'd be more than happy to make up the foursome

BrisVegas
22nd October 2007, 08:39 PM
Wow, this has turned into a hot topic! As I said earlier, good on you scarfie for a good round.

See, I knew there was a reason why I don't like social golf!

EDIT: I'm playing 9 before work tomorrow.. hope I don't have an ace...

Fishman Dan
22nd October 2007, 08:40 PM
79 posts - more posts than shots during the round!

3oneday
22nd October 2007, 08:43 PM
I've been here for years longer than you mate and don't you forget that.
all of you ? or is that's you's ;)

mikezone13
22nd October 2007, 08:44 PM
In the red corner....

It's people like you that ruin a great site like this. How about you stay out of all my threads in the future as you obviosuly don't bring anything positive to the table.

And in the blue corner....

Its full of shit liars like you that drag down sites like this pal. Stop making stuff up and we will get along just fine.

And I will post in any thread I choose to angry boy, in fact especially ones started by you. I've been here for years longer than you mate and don't you forget that.

Gunna need more than 1 beer for this....

Eag's
22nd October 2007, 08:44 PM
This is better than watching a movie :lol:

scarfie1
22nd October 2007, 08:45 PM
Its full of shit liars like you that drag down sites like this pal. Stop making stuff up and we will get along just fine.

And I will post in any thread I choose to angry boy, in fact especially ones started by you. I've been here for years longer than you mate and don't you forget that.

Mate, have you ever considered that I'm not making it up. I've got better things to do than make up stories to get my jollies, like actually play golf, rather than criticise what others have to say.

And don't give me that "i;ve been hear longer' crap...what you think this is like a company where you get promoted and have more rights than others. That was the only thing you've said that actually made me laugh, maybe you should write more like that.

mikezone13
22nd October 2007, 08:45 PM

It's like one of those foreign films, it's got subtitles, but we're yet to get to the nudity.

Eag's
22nd October 2007, 08:47 PM
It's like one of those foreign films, it's got subtitles, but we're yet to get to the nudity.

If these blokes do a nudy run I am out of here :shock:

3oneday
22nd October 2007, 08:48 PM

8)

Fishman Dan
22nd October 2007, 08:48 PM
I'm getting Spielberg on the phone. I think we can get Tom Hanks to play Jack, a misunderstood single marker with a passion for the game.... and Alec Baldwin to play the role of Scarfie - a young upstart who likes to take life by the scruff of the neck!

Eag's
22nd October 2007, 08:50 PM
Something tells me this thread may disappear real soon ;)

Fishman Dan
22nd October 2007, 08:51 PM

Seems to happen to most threads with more than 5 posts in an hour :?

3oneday
Something tells me this thread may disappear real soon ;)nah, no one called anyone a wanker... I think :confused:

mikezone13

No personal attacks... yet ;)

Webster
22nd October 2007, 08:55 PM
I'm getting Spielberg on the phone. I think we can get Tom Hanks to play Jack, a misunderstood single marker with a passion for the game.... and Alec Baldwin to play the role of Scarfie - a young upstart who likes to take life by the scruff of the neck!

I wanna be played by Sean Connery. Scarfie can be played by Joe Pesci.

3oneday
22nd October 2007, 08:57 PM
Who's playing Pamela ?

Fishman Dan
22nd October 2007, 08:58 PM
Who's playing Pamela ?

You make her sound like she's an instrument.

Is she a part of the woodwind or brass? I reckon percussion - magnificent set of bongo's!!

3oneday
22nd October 2007, 08:59 PM
Is she a part of a woody or bra's?not sure :confused:

scarfie1
22nd October 2007, 09:01 PM
Oh my..i've just read the page 1 info..its Surfers GC....might have had more cred at that par 3 course at Cararra.

Care to explain?

goughy
22nd October 2007, 09:05 PM
Bandwagon going by! Hmmmmmmmmmm

Scoot
22nd October 2007, 09:09 PM
Well done on the round Scarfie.

Just shoot a 69 next week end in the comp.

That'll XXXX em'

No comment at this stage re comp v social rounds.

mike
22nd October 2007, 09:09 PM
Man JC, this is gonna fire up plenty of debate now :roll: :lol:

Nice call Jarro.:)

What are the Powerball numbers gonna be this week and who's gonna win the Melbourne Cup ?

Fishman Dan
22nd October 2007, 09:10 PM
No comment at this stage re comp v social rounds.

I'd get in now, you might not have the chance later ;)

Webster
22nd October 2007, 09:12 PM
Well done on the round Scarfie.

Just shoot a 69 next week end in the comp.

I hope he does. I will be the first to congratulate him. But I doubt its gonna happen.

Fishman Dan
22nd October 2007, 09:13 PM
Bit harsh mate..I was only telling it like it is !

I reckon that would make it into the paper, but he'd be claiming he didn't do it. Oh the irony!!

Webster
22nd October 2007, 09:15 PM
What is the ACR at this course anyway?

scarfie1
22nd October 2007, 09:15 PM
Nah thats cool G69, I know it's not the hardest of tracks but I'm not sure about being easier than emerald. There's plenty of water and most holes are pretty tight. 5900 off the tips too. It's no Kooralbyn but hey it's cheap.

Well I guess the crowd has spoken, thanks to all who posted in my favour. Seems like the consensus is that I'll keep it under wraps until I shoot 6 under at the Aus Open

scarfie1
22nd October 2007, 09:16 PM

3oneday
22nd October 2007, 09:16 PM
I hope he does. I will be the first to congratulate him. But I doubt its gonna happen.I didn't think Scarfie1e was a member anywhere with an official handicap, so yes, not gunna happen.

scarfie1
22nd October 2007, 09:18 PM
I do have on official handicap actually. And the challenge has been layed down, 69 it is.

Scoot
22nd October 2007, 09:19 PM
I'd get in now, you might not have the chance later ;)

Following the recent spate of heated discussions, I decided that it's too hot in here for me.

Oh, well can't help myself.....

wait, Yes I can

mikezone13
22nd October 2007, 09:20 PM
I do have on official handicap actually. And the challenge has been layed down, 69 it is.

Good luck, I reckon if you do it in a comp round jack should buy you a case of beer.

3oneday
22nd October 2007, 09:21 PM
or a 6 pack of CD's ;)

goughy
22nd October 2007, 09:22 PM
But it would probably be VB! Blech...

Fishman Dan
22nd October 2007, 09:22 PM
Good luck, I reckon if you do it in a comp round jack should buy you a case of beer.

I reckon Jack will buy him a brewery if he can repeat the feat in a comp!

Webster
22nd October 2007, 09:34 PM
The pressure will be too much for him. I can feel it in me waters.

Fishman Dan
22nd October 2007, 09:35 PM
Hope it's not the Gold Coast waters - that place was built on a swamp.

Webster
22nd October 2007, 10:04 PM
I don't often agree with jack, coz he is normally a gizzswallower...but social round scores have nil cred....even if it did actually happen.

In all the confusion, I missed this gem earlier. Who is writing your stuff 69'er? Vikki Pollard?

yeah but, no but, yeah but!

Johnny Canuck
22nd October 2007, 11:40 PM
I don't often agree with jack, coz he is normally a gizzswallower...but social round scores have nil cred....even if it did actually happen.
don't see the reasoning behind this. do you find it easier outside of a comp? to me it's all the same. 18 holes that the ball needs to fall into in as few shots as possible.

i can't see why scarfie would go and make something like this up. who really gives a shit what a large group of people, many of which we will never meet or see really think?

in regards to the comment about the american handicapping system that was brought up about 16 pages ago, handicaps don't really mean as much in north america as they do here.
all tournaments i have ever played in, stroke, ambrose, whatever, have always been off the stick.
there are tournaments where handicaps come into play, but not anything like aus.
the ability to turn in cards played in a "social" round would actually show a truer reflection of handicap. turning in 5 cards over the course of a week will give a much better picture of my golfing ability than taking a snapshot of only one round. with the very limited opportunities we have to actually play handicapped golf at home, it is sometimes the only way.
we use a rating, or "slope" system of the golf course combined with or score that is used in calculating our handicaps. i would use an online service that asked for the slope of the course (dependant on the tees used) and the score i shot. it would give me an "unofficial" handicap, but one that was calculated accurately, and something i could use as a benchmark to see if i was improving or not.
from my personal experience, growing up in toronto, you could only be a member of a club if dad was a lawyer, doctor, or something similar. every course offering memberships in toronto has a waiting list, a minimum of about $20,000 nomination (this was about 7 years ago) and an insane yearly fee. this is only for about 5 months of solid golf. it makes competition golf (at clubs that actually have them) something that is participated in by a minority.

the cheapest membership i could find about 5 years ago was at a course that was about an hour outside of downtown toronto and they were charging about $4000 for a year. to give you an idea what it is like, i would compare it to a yarra bend ( iplayed there in 2001, and it was nothing special)
they have golf "leagues" but nothing like the comp system in aus, which i think is brilliant to some degree, but too much emphasis seems to be placed on it by others.

final question: did golf's first ever hole in one not occur until someone organized a competition for it to occur in? i'll bet there would be an angry scotsman if he were alive today and you tried to tell him otherwise!

Webster
23rd October 2007, 06:43 AM
Nice rant. As expected, you missed the points entirely. WTF does golf in Toronto have to do with scarfie big noting himself (with no proof) in this thread?

PS. The Caps Lock and Shift Keys are easily found on most keyboards. Give them a try.

Moe Norman
23rd October 2007, 06:56 AM
I've played social golf with Jack, he kept score.

I've still got the card somewhere - it prooves that smails 3 jabbed the last to lose.

I guess it comes down to what an official competition is. Not all clubs are on golf link.

The Ozgolf champs aren't an official competition, but I'd claim an ace or a PB round if either happened there.

The course record at Virginia was shot my a professional without a handicap in an unofficial competition - its on the honour board too....!

Johnny Canuck
23rd October 2007, 08:36 AM
Nice rant. As expected, you missed the points entirely. WTF does golf in Toronto have to do with scarfie big noting himself (with no proof) in this thread?

PS. The Caps Lock and Shift Keys are easily found on most keyboards. Give them a try.

wouldn't really call it a rant, as that infers that it was written with a little anger. i have seen you over at ISG jack, and i know exactly what you are trying to do, which makes it all the more amuzing. you help turn one board to shit and then try and do it to another?

the reference to toronto golf was in response to the point that was brought up about the handicapping system used in north america, which is perhaps why i view social golf as i do.

i think it is unfair that you jump on a guy because he shot a par round and it wasn't in a comp. i can't see any reason for him to boast and lie about something that didn't happen. are any of us that insecure that we need this type of reassurance?

you and 69 simply saw the opportunity to stir a little shit and jumped on it. scarfie, not knowing you, bit on the bait that was cast.
jc

dc68
23rd October 2007, 08:42 AM
NIce read, thanks for the entertainment fellas.

Webster
23rd October 2007, 09:03 AM
i think it is unfair that you jump on a guy because he shot a par round and it wasn't in a comp. i can't see any reason for him to boast and lie about something that didn't happen. are any of us that insecure that we need this type of reassurance?

It matters little to me what you consider to be fair or unfair, as we all form our own opinion on such matters.

The issue here is that scarfie started his own thread to boast about "my finest hour...I have finally conquered this game" when in fact he cannot prove the legitimacy of the score because it was in a meaningless social hit with a mate. The score is not verifiable in any way shape or form and therefore for all intents and purposes it does not exist. That fact is undeniable. Had scarfie shown a little more modestly in reporting his score on these boards then he would not be copping so much shit from me and many others.

poidda
23rd October 2007, 09:04 AM
Hey...how did I get dragged into this ?
I stated facts and gave my opinion....would you prefer I just had the same opinion as yours and all agreed with each other.

I Agree! ;)

mikezone13
23rd October 2007, 09:05 AM
Hey...how did I get dragged into this ?
I stated facts and gave my opinion....would you prefer I just had the same opinion as yours and all agreed with each other.

69er the conformist? After looking at the ancient 5 wood in the bag, Hmm don't think so ;)

Fishman Dan
23rd October 2007, 09:07 AM
I had nothing to do with this!!! Oh wait, I haven't been fingered in this one....

i have seen you over at ISG jack, and i know exactly what you are trying to do, which makes it all the more amuzing. you help turn one board to shit and then try and do it to another?

To be fair, ISG dropped itself in the sh!t.

In all honesty - what's wrong with a little niggle? It's not like he called 100% of OzGolfers a bunch of 'self-pleasurers'.

scarfie1
23rd October 2007, 09:17 AM
It matters little to me what you consider to be fair or unfair, as we all form our own opinion on such matters.

The issue here is that scarfie started his own thread to boast about "my finest hour...I have finally conquered this game" when in fact he cannot prove the legitimacy of the score because it was in a meaningless social hit with a mate. The score is not verifiable in any way shape or form and therefore for all intents and purposes it does not exist. That fact is undeniable. Had scarfie shown a little more modestly in reporting his score on these boards then he would not be copping so much shit from me and many others.

I believe the title of this sub forum is:

What did you shoot this week? (http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
Give us the lowdown on your latest game.

Nowhere does it say: tell us what you shot in an official competition.

And it wasn't a meaningless social hit, it was every bit as meaningful as a weekly comp, even more so because I enjoy it more and that's how my golf is done. Does shooting a good round in a comp mean anything more? Nup. And just because Golflink doesn't have record of my score doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Who gives a toss if my round is verifiable or not, only you by the looks. I certainly wouldn't want to be mates with you if you questioned everything I did. Where's the trust gone between Ozgolfers.

Fishman Dan
23rd October 2007, 09:20 AM
Don't read too much into the "What did you shoot" title. It's really only a sub-forum to keep Grunt busy.

And yes, he plays comps. ;)

Fishman Dan
23rd October 2007, 09:23 AM
Fish was correct, you're such a wanker Mike !

:shock: :-k

poidda
23rd October 2007, 09:28 AM
I can see why Grunt cant make any friends in NSW now! :)

Webster
23rd October 2007, 09:29 AM
scarfie,

Have a scroll down the list of threads in the "What did you shoot this week" forum. Aside from this dubious chest puffing thread of yours, the rest of the threads stick to the standard format, save for Johnny Canucks official, verifiable win in the Kennedy Bay Club Championships (well done JC) and agave's first career ace (in a comp, fully verifyable - well done agave). Yet you are blurting about a round which has no credibility? Are you serious?

Just a further question for you about your supposedly par round - how many other people were playing in the group? Or were you possibly playing by yourself as suggested in post # 6 of this thread?

Fishman Dan
23rd October 2007, 09:38 AM
I can see why Grunt cant make any friends in NSW now! :)

Don't start that Poidda - I'll happily play with Grunt anytime... in a comp, of course.

poidda
23rd October 2007, 09:50 AM
Don't start that Poidda - I'll happily play with Grunt anytime... in a comp, of course.

See that's the problem, he doesn't need playing partners, he wants companions! :lol:

Fishman Dan
23rd October 2007, 10:02 AM
How do we know that this isn't all reverse psychology? Every time something like this happens, the same few people get branded as the sh!t stirrers. The boot is on the other foot now, why don't people think of it that way?

How do we know that Scarfie (all 200 posts of him) hasn't turned up to cause trouble? How do we know that he hasn't deliberately posted this topic to bait someone? Surely he knew that Jack would bite?

Has anyone met this bloke? I doubt it - he plays solo, and never in comps? How can we tell this isn't some fake account by a vengeful Queenslander?

You've been had, Jack. I bet you feel cheap knowing that now. Typical OzGolf xenophobia.

mikezone13
23rd October 2007, 10:05 AM
Oh yeah...i forgot..shinier is better....Fish was correct, you're such a wanker Mike !

Cheers, now can you give me my rubber gloves back? :lol:

:shock: :-k

And I thought we were mates fishy :( :cry:

Webster
23rd October 2007, 10:06 AM
jeezuz Fishguts, next you will accuse me of being scarfie too and that I'm just talking to myself?

PeteyD
23rd October 2007, 10:06 AM
You been sniffing glue fish fingers?

Fishman Dan
23rd October 2007, 10:08 AM
You been sniffing glue fish fingers?

That's just the friggin' reaction I'm talking about. Why does someone who thinks against the common process at this place get branded 'off his head'?

Should be auslander.net/forums.

miro
23rd October 2007, 10:10 AM
...but social round scores have nil cred....even if it did actually happen.

Gotta say I agree with the old boy on this one. I am sure that this is a personally important milestone for Scarfie however, and i congratulate you as it is a great achievement, however a social round cannot be compared against a comp round.

In most (no not all) comp rounds you have the certainty of an independent umpire -your partners. No wiggle room, no mental pressure, not the same. But an achievement all the same.

PeteyD
23rd October 2007, 10:12 AM
Common process? You are making some wild allegations.

Scarfie has played in 1 OzGolf day, and is just a young guy excited about his golf. His views differ from Jacks and there has been a robust debate, which is kinda one of the points of forums anyway.

scarfie1
23rd October 2007, 10:15 AM
How do we know that Scarfie (all 200 posts of him) hasn't turned up to cause trouble? How do we know that he hasn't deliberately posted this topic to bait someone? Surely he knew that Jack would bite?

Has anyone met this bloke? I doubt it - he plays solo, and never in comps? How can we tell this isn't some fake account by a vengeful Queenslander?

Well your wrong, I have played with a couple of Ozgolf boys at Kooralbyn last week, and have bought and sold off heaps off you blokes. I'm insulted that you would accuse me off joining up to cause trouble. I joined in September last year and have been visiting the site for much longer than that. I had about 200 posts before starting this topic.

To even think that I'm a fake account just shows how wacked your thinking is.

BTW I didn't know about Jack...I didn't get a couple of PMs about him until well into this topic. Seems like his reputation is worse than mine.

As no golfer69 I'm not a member at surfers, but I would be if not for waiting lists etc. I'm a mega member at colonial.

markTHEblake
23rd October 2007, 10:20 AM
I'm insulted that you would accuse me off joining up to cause trouble.

Whats wrong with that. That is the only reason Jack drops in occasionaly.

I didn't get a couple of PMs about him until well into this topic.

Jacks PMS is permanent

BrisVegas
23rd October 2007, 10:27 AM
I'm a mega member at colonial.

You just lost all credibility! (My mega member brother ;) ) :lol:

Webster
23rd October 2007, 10:29 AM
so scarfie, were you playing alone or not?

scarfie1
23rd October 2007, 10:41 AM
Sure was. As I do most of the time...I'm not going to deny it.

It's funny how everyone says social golf has no cred....I've never met a bunch of blokes that were so disbelieving of others scores. I thought it was the player that had the cred or not, not the form of the game, and I would've thought I'd been here long enough to have a little cred.

Anyway..I'll leave you guys to argue it out. I'm off to actually play golf, you should try it sometime.

Flowergirl
23rd October 2007, 10:53 AM
All I can say is that there must be a lot of you guys that must cheat if they think they can get away with it. That's why you are questioning Scarfie's honesty. So are you they sort of guys that use the foot wedge when your playing partners aren't watching??? What ever happened to honesty, trust and integrity???
I am ashamed of you boys.

terryand
23rd October 2007, 10:53 AM
I know it will be a tuff job, but I will put my hand up to be the one to introduce 69'er and scarfie1 at the Champs :-s

Terry.

Jim
23rd October 2007, 10:54 AM
Thanks Pete, yeah I'm not usually a spastic putter like I was on thursday. Too much pressure of performing in front of you guys, the nerves got to me:smt081

That's the difference between playing in a comp or not - 15 shots. Also reminds me of the amount of blokes who shoot great scores whilst playing matchplay - who cares. Experience suggests the moment you start boasting you have the game licked is just before you take a ginormous tumble. Just ask AndyA.

You guys really want to do something about Jack - he is quite a troublemaker.

terryand
23rd October 2007, 10:56 AM
Oh look who got a pm from his mate, welcome back stranger :roll:

Terry.

Jim
23rd October 2007, 10:58 AM
Oh look who got a pm from his mate, welcome back stranger :roll:

Terry.

You're all my mates on here Tez.

Where have the smilies gone?

peter_rs
23rd October 2007, 11:00 AM
In all honesty - what's wrong with a little niggle? It's not like he called 100% of OzGolfers a bunch of 'self-pleasurers'.

Who did that.....

Webster
23rd October 2007, 11:09 AM
All I can say is that there must be a lot of you guys that must cheat if they think they can get away with it. That's why you are questioning Scarfie's honesty. So are you they sort of guys that use the foot wedge when your playing partners aren't watching??? What ever happened to honesty, trust and integrity???
I am ashamed of you boys.

Calm down Flowergirl. No need to get those knickers in a twist. We are just establishing the circumstances as they apply to scarfies "par" round. Interesting that it took 9 pages for him to come clean on the very important fact that he was playing alone.

But enough of this bickering. It's a lovely day outside and I'm off for a hit myself soon. There is a little 5900m course not far from here which should be easy to get on as its not comp day. I'm feeling confident, even though I will be playing alone. I think I can post a 64 or maybe a 65 today. Now would that be threadworthy?

PS. I have no idea who Jim is.

peter_rs
23rd October 2007, 11:16 AM
Should be auslander.net/forums.

you would know as the head of personal attacks :)

peter_rs
23rd October 2007, 11:17 AM
Don't worry scarfie keza copped worse and hers were on golf link in a comp (all be it adhoc's due to small fields)

BrisVegas
23rd October 2007, 11:22 AM
I was wondering what today's red hot thread would be. Trust peter_rs to dig that one up.

Jarro
23rd October 2007, 11:24 AM
Keep doing you thing Scarfie ... stick it up these old farts :p

peter_rs
23rd October 2007, 11:26 AM
G69 not starting anything... they were scores in a comp with a marker and some people did not believe them.

BV I have done nothing in this thread and its going fine.

I wonder if my "Peter_rs is becoming a golfer" thread is due for an update tomorrow. :)

Moe Norman
23rd October 2007, 11:28 AM
If you're a regular club golfer that plays in the Saturday comp most weeks, of course your social rounds mean very little.

If you're primarily a social golfer, then the social rounds, provided you adhere to the rules, will obviously gain more importance.

I personally don't rate social rounds, but I play reasonably regularly with a group of friends, none of who have handicaps, nor have they ever had handicaps. One of them had an ace in our annual little event last year and another shot a PB round of 81. Both of them are entitled to claim their achievement as far as I'm concerned.

But I do see the point from both side of the argument.

Moe Norman
23rd October 2007, 11:29 AM
Don't worry scarfie keza copped worse and hers were on golf link in a comp (all be it adhoc's due to small fields)yes, but they were all complete bullshit!

peter_rs
23rd October 2007, 11:31 AM
what if you treat comps as social golf as you don't get to play your home course, and comps are cheaper then social golf. :)

In the end all scores matter other wise you would stay at the range.

Webster
23rd October 2007, 11:31 AM
Moe, what about when you are playing on your own and then claim the score as a PB and then start a thread on an internet golf forum telling everyone you have "conquered the game"? Is that the same as a score shot playing with a group of friends?

What scarfie is claiming is not even worthy of being called a social round.

Jarro
23rd October 2007, 11:32 AM
jusy trying to keep things moving along

Fishman Dan
23rd October 2007, 11:33 AM
you would know as the head of personal attacks :)

Now now, I've only ever made one comment about you, and that was deleted. Besides - it was a cracker :lol: For heavens sake, if it was taken in the light it was meant to it may not have even been deleted.

Tez - Jim wouldn't have received a PM, that would involve coming back and checking. I reckon MSN Messenger was used!!

Moe Norman
23rd October 2007, 11:34 AM
Moe, what about when you are playing on your own and then claim the score as a PB and then start a thread on an internet golf forum telling everyone you have "conquered the game"? Is that the same as a score shot playing with a group of friends?

What scarfie is claiming is not even worthy of being called a social round.
if its the norm that he plays by himself, then yes.

Personally, I would never play 18 holes alone without breaking several rules, including the odd mulligan - so its a bit of a non event for me.

Fishman Dan
23rd October 2007, 11:36 AM
Don't worry scarfie keza copped worse and hers were on golf link in a comp (all be it adhoc's due to small fields)

I reckon there were under 30 starters at my course the other day. Funnily enough, there's no "A" in GolfLink next to my score??

markTHEblake
23rd October 2007, 11:36 AM
Personally, I would never play 18 holes alone without breaking several rules

And you dont have to look over your shoulder as you use the foot.

peter_rs
23rd October 2007, 11:37 AM
Now now, I've only ever made one comment about you

But you fired more then few shots at other people as well...

Fishman Dan
23rd October 2007, 11:38 AM
But you fired more then few shots at other people as well...

Lies, lies and damn lies. But your 100% comment cannot be refuted! Anyway, stop threadjacking this argument with an argument!

peter_rs
23rd October 2007, 11:39 AM
Ladies comps at riverlakes could be as small as 6. I believe if you don't make 25 (or the min to get a CCR) the score is done as a adhoc.

peter_rs
23rd October 2007, 11:43 AM
Lies, lies and damn lies. But your 100% comment cannot be refuted! Anyway, stop threadjacking this argument with an argument!

Stop replying to my replys then...

I don't refute my comment and it was a generlisation not a attack, I never called anyone directly a wanker I just said this place was full of them (by the definition including myself at times... in some peoples eyes)

terryand
23rd October 2007, 11:43 AM
Tez - Jim wouldn't have received a PM, that would involve coming back and checking. I reckon MSN Messenger was used!!

True, my bad ;)

Terry.

Jim
23rd October 2007, 11:53 AM
No need for any of that stuff - I'm always on the lookout for this type of thread. Blokes bignoting without a valid reason is my speciality. :smt079

AndyP
23rd October 2007, 11:55 AM
Hi everybody. First post here, long time reader.

I believe if you don't make 25 (or the min to get a CCR) the score is done as a adhoc.Nope. I've got a non-adhoc score with a field of 20.
For fields of 20 or less, the ACR or women's equivalent would be used.

Moe Norman
23rd October 2007, 12:04 PM
Ladies comps at riverlakes could be as small as 6. I believe if you don't make 25 (or the min to get a CCR) the score is done as a adhoc.do they only play 9 holes in these 6 person comps?

Maybe that would explain the massive variance in her scores :-k

Johnny Canuck
23rd October 2007, 12:32 PM
scarfie,

Have a scroll down the list of threads in the "What did you shoot this week" forum. Aside from this dubious chest puffing thread of yours, the rest of the threads stick to the standard format, save for Johnny Canucks official, verifiable win in the Kennedy Bay Club Championships (well done JC) and agave's first career ace (in a comp, fully verifyable - well done agave). Yet you are blurting about a round which has no credibility? Are you serious?

Just a further question for you about your supposedly par round - how many other people were playing in the group? Or were you possibly playing by yourself as suggested in post # 6 of this thread?

Thanks for the compliment Jack.

I think one of the problems that I have is that I am a trusting sort. Also, I view things such as shooting par as a sense of accomplishment, which is all that matters to me. I could care less what anyone else thinks. For this reason, I don't see why people would lie about something in order to get praise from others. However, I do realise that this does happen (from my past readings on ISG, etc..) I trust that Scarfie shot par as I personally would never boast about anything that didn't happen. If he didn't and posted that he did, he is an absolute wanker (hypothetically speaking Scarfie, no offence intended.)

I can see where you are coming from though in terms of the verification process. I have played in social rounds, shot good scores and made sure that I had my playing partners sign the card. The same goes for when I have recorded aces in social games. I just like to have some form of verification other than my word that it did happen.

69, sorry for calling you out, it just seemed like the fire was getting a little more fuel than it needed.

Strange phenomenon. When I am at work, I capitalize letters in my sentences, at home on the laptop, I don't. I wonder if it is the professional environment or the keyboard that causes this as it is not something that I consciously do.

Johnny Canuck
23rd October 2007, 12:35 PM
How do we know that this isn't all reverse psychology? Every time something like this happens, the same few people get branded as the sh!t stirrers. The boot is on the other foot now, why don't people think of it that way?

You've been had, Jack. I bet you feel cheap knowing that now. Typical OzGolf xenophobia.

Maybe he is SVEN!

Johnny Canuck
23rd October 2007, 12:37 PM
Wow..what a game of poker.....scarfie needed an ace on the river to beat him and only drew a deuce.....funny coming from a bloke playing solitaire.

But he took a mulligan and got the ace!

Just kidding Scarfie!

Jarro
23rd October 2007, 12:46 PM
I'd like to know what AndyA and Smails think about this ?

AndyA
23rd October 2007, 12:48 PM
Experience suggests the moment you start boasting you have the game licked is just before you take a ginormous tumble. Just ask AndyA.

Why bring me into this Jim? I have three posts to my name on this website (all from over a year ago).

Comp round are the only fully legitimate scores. Social rounds are semi-legitimate, but this bloke was playing alone, so its not a social round. Rounds played alone count for nothing.

Jarro
23rd October 2007, 12:51 PM
Welcome back AndyA ... perfect timing 'eh ?

markTHEblake
23rd October 2007, 12:52 PM
Have you got one of those wanker whistles Jarro?

Webster
23rd October 2007, 12:57 PM
Jarro owns the patent on wanker whistles Blake.

terryand
23rd October 2007, 12:57 PM
MSN must be on fire with the usage today :-s

Terry.

Jim
23rd October 2007, 01:05 PM
Maybe he is SVEN!

Why? Do you think Sven would spend a lot of time playing with himself?

3oneday
23rd October 2007, 01:12 PM
Hi everybody. First post here, long time reader.damned lurker :p

Quiet day at thepornforum ?

Jarro
23rd October 2007, 01:14 PM
ThePornForum must be empty today .. all the big guns are over here at our little shop of horrors.

Aren't we lucky.

Iain
23rd October 2007, 02:05 PM
Holy crap, I love these threads!!

Great achievement Scarfie, but I agree with Jack, don't think it deserves it's own thread...

kpac
23rd October 2007, 02:30 PM
what a read..... wasted 25mins of billable time on this thread and it was worth every second.

dc68
23rd October 2007, 02:42 PM
So bill it anyway.

AndyP
23rd October 2007, 03:20 PM
I don't know about the score, but I don't think there's any way the round was finished in just one hour.

PeteyD
23rd October 2007, 04:33 PM
Interesting. I should have started a new thread for my first career ace ;) haha

Webster
23rd October 2007, 06:11 PM
So scarfi, how many did you rack up on your own today?

terryand
23rd October 2007, 06:20 PM

Jack with all the dooms day stuff about not counting when you are on your own got me worried about my new love away from golf.

I thought jeez it would be terrible if I captured there perfect sunset and no one was there to witness it :cry:

Terry.

Webster
23rd October 2007, 06:22 PM
i have no idea what you are crapping on ebaout Tegs..

scarfie1
23rd October 2007, 06:24 PM

Only 75 today, 1 under through 9 and blew it with a 5 over coming in.

Webster
23rd October 2007, 06:25 PM
Tough luck there sport. Does this mean that your fictional handicap goes out by a notional .1?

Moe Norman
23rd October 2007, 06:26 PM
nice avatar scarfie - he's gained a bit of weight since then though.

bit average to make it personal though don't you think?

scarfie1
23rd October 2007, 06:30 PM
It's just to show that he can't hide behind his username.

And no my actual handicap stays the same, even if I could hand it in, it wouldn't change.

Webster
23rd October 2007, 06:39 PM
That is the best avatar I have ever seen.

Jarro
23rd October 2007, 06:42 PM
That is the best avatar I have ever seen.

If you're gay !

Webster
23rd October 2007, 06:43 PM
You should see it from the next down baby

mike
23rd October 2007, 06:43 PM
Scarfie , that's poor form.

scarfie1
23rd October 2007, 06:46 PM
Scarfie , that's poor form.

Mate, I'm only marginally returning all the bad form that Jack has shown me in this thread and others. If your going to dish it out on Ozgolf, you'd better be prepared to take it.

terryand
23rd October 2007, 06:48 PM
Mate, I'm only marginally returning all the bad form that Jack has shown me in this thread and others. If your going to dish it out on Ozgolf, you'd better be prepared to take it.

Just ask Mike how the Dragons went this year, that should shut him up 8-)

Terry.

Jarro
23rd October 2007, 06:48 PM
:smt062

mike
23rd October 2007, 06:51 PM
Terry that's poor form

mike
23rd October 2007, 06:51 PM
Keep that up and this could get nasty

terryand
23rd October 2007, 06:56 PM
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8-) 8-) 8-)

Fishman Dan
23rd October 2007, 07:09 PM

In 3.5 years of this website, no one has been able to justify that.

So where can we find your desirable mug on the internet mate? After all, if you dish it out, you should be able to take it.

I thought it was Shane Watson..... :-s

Jim
23rd October 2007, 07:28 PM
nice avatar scarfie - he's gained a bit of weight since then though.
I haven't seen anything that funny since Henry used Scorpiochick's photo from RSVP as his avatar. And then he got banned and it was there forever.

PeteyD
23rd October 2007, 07:34 PM
Ack don't ban Scarfie until he changes it :D

scarfie1
23rd October 2007, 07:42 PM
Alright...I'll take down the ugly bastard, only because I'm sick of looking at him, and everyone's had a chance to see who he really is.

Don't ban me though...now that would be bad form.

Webster
23rd October 2007, 07:46 PM
Alright...I'll take down the ugly bastard, only because I'm sick of looking at him, and everyone's had a chance to see who he really is.

Don't ban me though...now that would be bad form.

whats replacing this?

markTHEblake
23rd October 2007, 07:47 PM
I liked it better when I thought Jack was an overweight drunken slob (like that guy on the simpsons), so I have lost all respect for the man now.

Webster
23rd October 2007, 07:53 PM
I liked it better when I thought Jack was an overweight drunken slob (like that guy on the simpsons), so I have lost all respect for the man now.

just as well you got the tattoo then Blakey

http://www.jwz.org/images/asstattoo015.jpg

goughy
23rd October 2007, 08:37 PM
Did I miss something? I didn't even get a chance to delete it!! :(

Fishman Dan
23rd October 2007, 08:47 PM
Has he changed it yet?

Johnny Canuck
23rd October 2007, 11:33 PM

man, i thought the same thing. boy was i wrong.

Flowergirl
24th October 2007, 05:47 AM
You're lucky you didn't see the #1 wanker thread yesterday....and that you polled a vote...and it wasn't from me !

What thread????????? Am I going to be offended and crack the sh$ts???????? If so delete it please. I am very sensitive you know.

Fishman Dan
24th October 2007, 06:58 AM
man, i thought the same thing. boy was i wrong.

You make it sound like you were pleasantly surprised.... not that there's anything wrong with that!

AndyP
24th October 2007, 08:00 AM
The only place that thread was going, was to offend someone.

AndyP
24th October 2007, 08:13 AM
Nice! Calling me a softcock and wanker in the space of two posts.

I'm so ****ing over this.

dc68
24th October 2007, 08:17 AM
:smt038

;)

Fishman Dan
24th October 2007, 08:22 AM
The only place that thread was going, was to offend someone.

I was offended when I saw the picture of Jack.

In the words of our favourite red-headed long bomber - Harden the 'love' up Admin!!

AndyP
24th October 2007, 08:28 AM
It was your post that led to it being removed, so I'm not taking the blame for it, just because I clicked the button.

dc68
24th October 2007, 08:30 AM
Sooooooooo Fishdick, It's your fault!!!!!!!! Typical.

Fishman Dan
24th October 2007, 08:39 AM
Huh? Comparing him to Shane Watson?

dc68
24th October 2007, 08:42 AM
You wanker.

Fishman Dan
24th October 2007, 08:51 AM
GGF COAT.

(ditto).

Johnny Canuck
24th October 2007, 10:09 AM
You make it sound like you were pleasantly surprised.... not that there's anything wrong with that!

more like disappointed. i actually pictured him looking like the comic book guy from the simpsons. i got the impression that he would be the type to sit and home, alone, eating frozen dinners on a little tv table watching non-stop porn,

never thought of the blonde, shane warne/watson type.

Johnny Canuck
24th October 2007, 10:11 AM
Wow, in the time it takes to write a five line email, there is another full page of posts. Best thread ever!

3oneday
24th October 2007, 12:13 PM
Wow, in the time it takes to write a five line email, you gotta start making em shorter Johnny ;)

Jarro
24th October 2007, 01:54 PM
I'll see if i can dig up a more recent picture off Google.

Just give me a few minutes ........

Courty
24th October 2007, 03:48 PM
never thought of the blonde, shane warne/watson type.

More like a pudgy older version of Michael Clarke. :wink:

markTHEblake
24th October 2007, 03:52 PM
You received one vote and I believe Blakey was miles in front when Andeesoftcock pulled it offline

Wota Wanker - Golfer69 was miles in front :smt038

Grunt
24th October 2007, 03:55 PM
Reckon I could have polled a few. ;)

3oneday
24th October 2007, 04:14 PM
Reckon I could have polled a few. ;)yeah yeah, mememe ;)

c'mon boys, fire this up a little please 8)

Moe Norman
24th October 2007, 04:27 PM
more like disappointed. i actually pictured him looking like the comic book guy from the simpsons. i got the impression that he would be the type to sit and home, alone, eating frozen dinners on a little tv table watching non-stop porn,

never thought of the blonde, shane warne/watson type.mostly spot on mate, you just got his looks wrong :lol:

Scottt
1st February 2010, 12:10 PM
No need for any of that stuff - I'm always on the lookout for this type of thread. Blokes bignoting without a valid reason is my speciality. :smt079

Just stumbled on yhis thread while searching for something else and saw this post. Made me laugh, in light of recent events! :lol:

Webster
1st February 2010, 12:43 PM
Great thread. Where is Scarfie? Did he turn pro?

Jarro
1st February 2010, 03:50 PM
Great thread. Where is Scarfie? Did he turn pro?

Last i heard he was moving to Melbourne so he could fulfill his lifelong dream of becoming a hitman

Yossarian
1st February 2010, 04:06 PM
I shot even par around freo public. Does that count?

Tongueboy
1st February 2010, 04:34 PM
that was entertaining

zigwah
1st February 2010, 04:42 PM
so it wasnt just me then, you wankers

Ned
1st February 2010, 04:46 PM
Last i heard he was moving to Melbourne so he could fulfill his lifelong dream of becoming a hitman

When he grows up ? :-k

:roll:

:wink:

3oneday
1st February 2010, 06:22 PM
so it wasnt just me then, you wankers

Which part ?

;)

Chris32
15th June 2010, 08:57 AM
I shot par on saturday at my local Par 3 course, have I finally conquered this game....

Yossarian
15th June 2010, 10:05 AM
Was it a comp?

KristianJ
15th June 2010, 10:13 AM
I shot par on saturday at my local Par 3 course, have I finally conquered this game....

If I'm anything to go by, probably not. :lol: About 3 weeks ago I shot -2 at what is effectively a par 3 course with a few short par 4s, and besides a 79 last Monday, haven't gotten anywhere near 85 in the 4 rounds I played since on par 71/72 courses. Granted, they were somewhat windswept rounds, but my conquering was quite short lived.

May it be different for you by all means, but don't get too optimistic, so to speak.

Chris32
15th June 2010, 11:31 AM
Was it a comp?

Nah, social round... :lol:

I had some time to kill while the other half got her hair done, so I thought I'd play the local par 3, haven't played it for about 10 years. Highlights included 3 birdies, one of which was almost a hole in one (hit the pin in the cup and jumped out to about 6 ft) When I was tallying up the scorecard I was even par, and I thought of the famous scarfie thread - time to rejoice - I had conquered the game :D

Peter
15th June 2010, 06:21 PM
What a classic thread!

Peter
9th January 2013, 02:59 PM
This one, Jack?