PDA

View Full Version : Little Aussie Battler.

BrisVegas
21st October 2007, 08:38 AM
The Aussie Dollar's now buys US$0.90c! I can't remember when it was this high before. Does anyone have any clue if it's a good thing or a bad thing for our economy. I heard on the news that it's helping to keep inflation down as we're importing more stuff. If that keeps interest rates down, then that's a good thing.

I remember just a few years ago when I was living in the states, that every dollar I sent home was pretty much two dollars Aussie. It was a big part of the attraction of working over there and helped us save a deposit for a house. But when our family came to visit and spend Aussie dollars, the exchange rate was a killer.

At the moment, America's a good place to visit as a tourist, but not worthwhile working and living there.

P.S. Has anyone else made any rash ebay purchases of late??:oops:

kpac
21st October 2007, 08:49 AM
depends who you ask re: economy really.... i personally think it's bad, as it hurts exports pretty bad. But that is only one small part.
The US ebay is the winner out of all this :)

AndyP
21st October 2007, 08:58 AM
P.S. Has anyone else made any rash ebay purchases of late??:oops::smt039

I don't think I would have been looking without the dollar being where it is.

Courty
21st October 2007, 09:55 AM
P.S. Has anyone else made any rash ebay purchases of late??:oops:

So what are you trying to tell us? :-s

BrisVegas
21st October 2007, 09:57 AM
well I know andyP and Eag's have lashed out on new gear...

Courty
21st October 2007, 10:01 AM
You sure there isn't something else you want to confess to?

PS. Although the exchange rate is quite appealing, I haven't seen anything (golf-related) that I really want to purchase.

goughy
21st October 2007, 11:11 AM
I don't think they can let interest rates hit the highs of the 80's. And wasn't our dollar strong against the greenback then too.

They were reporting on the radio that during the time of the 17 to 20% interest rates people were paying a lesser percentage of their income towards paying their mortgage than most do now days! And I think a lot more were losing their houses now days than back then.

I don't think they can afford to let the interest rates get much higher than they are now.

markTHEblake
21st October 2007, 03:27 PM
the guts fell out of the AU dollar in 1986, particularily one day, might have fallen about 5c. I remember cos i was working on Magnetic Island and we got hit with a contiki tour cashing travellers cheques, and every person got more money than the previous one. The rate was changing almost every minute, whereas it would rarely change more than once a day. That was like watching your country get flushed down the toilet.

Our dollar at 0.90c is nothing to do with how good our ecomony is, as we are still inherently weak against the other currencies, it just highlights the deep hole that Bernanke and the US Fed have dug for themselves.

Any problems that the USA has will have an equally negative effect here. We have already seen that the sub prime issue has caused interests rates here to go up on average 0.3% for non bank lenders and also a tightening of lending policy.

There is a light on the horizon - Gold surging towards $1000 and beyond. You all bought some when i told yas to when it was $500, didnt ya?

markTHEblake
21st October 2007, 03:29 PM
BTW - all the lenders have been pushing up fixed rates over the last month or so, by .1% here and there. I wouldnt bank the house on it, but the hottest tip so far for Melbourne Cup day is 0.25% up.

This is based on the latests inflation figures report. I forgot all the data, but the conclusion was that everytime the figures had that result the Reserve Bank increased rates.

BrisVegas
25th October 2007, 10:48 AM
speaking of the aussie dollar's buying power in the usa at the moment....

3balls just shipped me some clubs in under 3 days. Checked out Monday lunch time, delivered this morning. unbelievable! Is it any wonder people are buying stuff from o/s with shipping that fast??

Eag's
25th October 2007, 10:53 AM
speaking of the aussie dollar's buying power in the usa at the moment....

3balls just shipped me some clubs in under 3 days. Checked out Monday lunch time, delivered this morning. unbelievable! Is it any wonder people are buying stuff from o/s with shipping that fast??

What did you just pick up mate?

BrisVegas
25th October 2007, 11:05 AM
21deg hybrid and a 18deg 5 wood.

plus a couple of new drivers for some mates.

poidda
25th October 2007, 11:08 AM
Our dollar at 0.90c is nothing to do with how good our ecomony is, as we are still inherently weak against the other currencies, it just highlights the deep hole that Bernanke and the US Fed have dug for themselves.

But isn't the Aussie dollar also buying something like 44 pence? It was only 5 or so years ago that we were only getting 33 pence. Hmm, that was a great time to be earning pounds! :lol:

markTHEblake
25th October 2007, 12:01 PM
But isn't the Aussie dollar also buying something like 44 pence?

Yup, but we are also at .63 Euro....

NAB head said yesterday that in light of US sub prime drama that banks may look to increase rates even if the Reserve Bank doesnt.

What a load of BS. One month ago the major banks were marketing the fact that they were immune to the sub prime issues and that australians were better off borrowing from banks (deposit taking institutions) than non-banks , basically they were kicking the likes of Rams in the balls while they were down, now they are claiming 'increased cost of funds'.

What it really means is that in the 90's when banks did not pass on two 0.25% reserve bank increases in order to compete with the Non Bank lenders, are obviously now looking to recover that lost margin due to the competitions higher rates now.

Eag's
25th October 2007, 12:18 PM
So interest rates are supposed to be going up again sometime around Melbourne Cup day. If so, that will spell the end of Howard's reelection chances.
Not that he had much of a chance anyways.

gazgolf1
25th October 2007, 12:19 PM
21deg hybrid and a 18deg 5 wood.

plus a couple of new drivers for some mates.

just picked up a couple of D2's myself ;)

BrisVegas
25th October 2007, 12:22 PM
hope i wasn't bidding against you!

They're a steal right now.

BrisVegas
25th October 2007, 12:23 PM
gaz - your ebay id is not gg_nipple_shot is it?

markTHEblake
25th October 2007, 12:28 PM
So interest rates are supposed to be going up again sometime around Melbourne Cup day.

Not around, its the only dead cert favourite for the day.

If so, that will spell the end of Howard's reelection chances.

If they dont, then that proves that the PM/Govt does have influence over the Reserve Bank decisions, because the inflation figures that came out yesterday are a lay down misere for an immediate increase, as it always has been a precedent.

miro
25th October 2007, 12:32 PM
Bought two sets of Callaway x-18's for guys in the office in the past week at Aussie $550 incl shipping. I reckon that's a steal for the average punter.

gazgolf1
25th October 2007, 12:56 PM
gaz - your ebay id is not gg_nipple_shot is it?

probably should be. ;)

gazgolf1
25th October 2007, 12:57 PM
hope i wasn't bidding against you!

They're a steal right now.

No I bought from their store not Ebay.

Jarro
30th October 2007, 07:08 AM
Buy up boys ..... she's gonna hit the roof soon :mrgreen:

Surely it can't get any higher can it ?

Eag's
30th October 2007, 07:47 AM

Might be time to grab those wedges I was chasing ;)

AndyP
30th October 2007, 07:55 AM
I just checked out from 3balls last night. :)

kpac
30th October 2007, 08:26 AM
last night for me aswell ;)

Fishman Dan
30th October 2007, 08:31 AM

You're going to look silly when we hit parity.

Jarro
30th October 2007, 09:19 AM
You're going to look silly when we hit parity.

You think that's gonna happen ? Seriously ???

AndyP
30th October 2007, 09:21 AM
We'll just buy more then.

Jarro
30th October 2007, 09:25 AM
We ???

You a member of a little secret club now are you ?

poidda
30th October 2007, 09:57 AM
They're tipping $ for $ in the first 1/4 of next year.

Jarro
30th October 2007, 09:59 AM
Not good for tourism :(

poidda
30th October 2007, 10:00 AM
Less travelling yanks the better if you ask me.

kpac
30th October 2007, 10:03 AM
BULL...SHIT!!! get your ass overseas!!!!! it's great for tourism!! ;)

dc68
30th October 2007, 12:27 PM

Sweet for a little trip to Georgia around April I reckon......:lol:

BrisVegas
30th October 2007, 12:31 PM
But isn't the Aussie dollar also buying something like 44 pence? It was only 5 or so years ago that we were only getting 33 pence. Hmm, that was a great time to be earning pounds! :lol:

I remember it well. when I first moved to the states in 98, the dollar was around US$0.70c. It got down as low as US$0.47c I think in 01/02 just before I came back. Happy days indeed.

Trung
30th October 2007, 12:34 PM
I remember it well. when I first moved to the states in 98, the dollar was around US$0.70c. It got down as low as US$0.47c I think in 01/02 just before I came back. Happy days indeed.

It was .49 when i went to states in 2001

Eag's
30th October 2007, 12:34 PM
Sweet for a little trip to Georgia around April I reckon......:lol:

Don't rub it in you lucky bastard :razz:

dc68
30th October 2007, 12:46 PM
:razz:

;)

Fishman Dan
30th October 2007, 01:00 PM
You think that's gonna happen ? Seriously ???

It's been tipped for the last 6 months. Things like the sub-prime mortgage thing have weakened the US economy.

Our dollar still sucks against the pound and euro ;)

poidda
30th October 2007, 01:00 PM
where's that wanker thread when you need it! ;)

markTHEblake
30th October 2007, 02:05 PM
On this day on 1929 the US stock market Crashed. :neutral: and today the US Dollar index hit another all time low. (ok thats USA time 29/11/1929)

The markets are wondering what Mighty Ben and his Fed mates will do tomorrow. Another Interest rate drop is on the cards, but last time they did that it stuffed the finance markets, so will he do it again? Does he have another trick up his sleeve.

Yesterday saw the markets buying gold like there is no tomorrow - now they wait......

AndyP
2nd November 2007, 09:12 AM
I paid for the clubs on Monday night. Clubs arrived at work late yesterday afternoon. That's fast.

I don't know how they fit all those clubs in the box, but I'm regretting taking a couple out for a looksee, as I've got no chance of putting them back in without pulling the whole box apart. I still need to get them home.

Very Good Condition looks pretty damn good to me.

BTW my PayPal conversion ended up being just over $0.90.

BrisVegas
2nd November 2007, 09:15 AM
you gotta take em out of the box anyways mate. How else do they go "in the bag"???

3 days shipping is pretty amazing hey!

AndyP
2nd November 2007, 09:26 AM
I know, but I should've waited until I got them home. Now I have to carry around a box of clubs (16) plus 3 loose clubs (Titty 904F 3W & 2 reg shaft Ping i3 irons).

3oneday
23rd November 2007, 09:58 AM
So, is the dollar on a permanent decline again or just a glitch in its climb to reaching dollar for dollar ?

mikezone13
23rd November 2007, 10:11 AM
So, is the dollar on a permanent decline again or just a glitch in its climb to reaching dollar for dollar ?

Always a slight downturn in any currency just before an election.

markTHEblake
23rd November 2007, 10:12 AM
I think the AUD is on the way back down, as the USD has not strengthened at all so not a good sign for us.

The guts has fallen out of the US stockmarket in the last month and shows no signs of stopping now so that might get the USD out of its freefall.