PDA

View Full Version : Thurgoona Golf Club

raidrboy
20th October 2007, 08:24 PM
I ventured North of the Murray yesterday for a round of golf at Thurgoona GC. Riding from the pro-shop to the 1st tee you would swear we had just had snow except that the guys who teed off before us were kicking up white dust. It turned out to be lime dust which was spread over the fairways. We played 3 holes and went home with a coating of lime dust over clothes, and golf equipment. I rang the head groundsman at our football club who told me that lime is a very good fertilizer but it has to be watered in after spreading. The water restrictions in our area are just as tough as any other place around the country at present unless you have re-cycled water as we are lucky enough to have at Wodonga. I think OZ is a member at Thurgoona and he might be able to shed some light on their actions or anybody who knows anything about course maintenance. It was really disappointing to see a really nice course deteriorating and nothing can be done to prevent it, except a lot of rain.

Andrew
20th October 2007, 09:04 PM
Lime is generally only used in humid climates where leaching occurs, causing acidic soils that restrict grass growth. It is a practice that often takes place in some of the warmer eastern seaboard states of America & is normally applied early autumn. It generally needs a couple of waters for it to work its way into the soil.

I’ve seen it on golf courses a few times in America, but never in Australia.

Moe Norman
20th October 2007, 09:09 PM
Having played alot of golf at Thurgoona as a youngster, thats sad to hear.

In fact I think I played my first ever 18 holes there - might have been on the sandscraped at holbrook, I can't recall.