PDA

View Full Version : First set you owned....

terryand
1st October 2004, 09:59 PM
A spin off to the "How old and how long" thread...

What was the very first set of clubs you used or owned.

For me it was a mixture of Keith Knox and Brosnan Taipans... :oops:

Wow they where the days :smt011 :smt105

Terry.

990B Luva
1st October 2004, 10:05 PM
Cobra Junior :lol: still have them

damoocow
1st October 2004, 10:06 PM
Tezza - cannot recall the quality but those knox irons were in just about every hire set in the 70's - who was Keith Knox???
damoocow

terryand
1st October 2004, 10:14 PM
Tezza - cannot recall the quality but those knox irons were in just about every hire set in the 70's - who was Keith Knox???
damoocow

Got me buggered Damo...

I think, but not 100% sure he is a 50's or 60's Aussie golfer :smt102

Terry.

BrisVegas
1st October 2004, 10:22 PM
First irons I ever owned came from K-Mart Toowoomba, bought one at a time... I think they were Dunlop or Spalding cavity backs. First wood was a hand-me-down ladies Brosnan persimmon 2 wood I think.

Later I bought a full set of PGF PowerPacts ( :lol: ) from the Bribie Island pro shop. I had all the irons and 2,3,4 woods (although I think they were plastic). Dad bought me a cool black Molitor golf bag to go with them.

2nd real set was PGF Aristocrat SB blades and persimmon woods, bought from City Golf Club pro shop. I still got these irons.

damoocow
1st October 2004, 10:23 PM
I think I will look for a retro set for the Ozgolf Champs - can you get flares tailor made ?
damoocow

McMw
1st October 2004, 10:57 PM
spalding top flite half set, progressed onto the wilson prostaff2, then pingi2, ta845s, revos, and aeps now...

apart from the top flite - still got all of them.... 8)

markTHEblake
1st October 2004, 11:25 PM
I was fortunate that when i started playing golf, my dad had just stopped, so I instantly acquired a flash full set of sticks, and a dirty great golf bag most impressive for a scrawny 15yo who couldnt break 120.

was a set of PGF Status Mk V's complete with a Sand Iron that is a brand I cant remember, and was probably about 20 years old at that stage.

The Putter was a PGF prototype in a Ping anser shape, that does have "Ping" on it and a Patent number, but dont know what it means. Its dated early 60;s when dad bought it from the sydney factory, and its still the putter I use today.

Jarro
2nd October 2004, 06:18 AM
I was fortunate that when i started playing golf, my dad had just stopped, so I instantly acquired a flash full set of sticks, and a dirty great golf bag most impressive for a scrawny 15yo who couldnt break 120.

was a set of PGF Status Mk V's complete with a Sand Iron that is a brand I cant remember, and was probably about 20 years old at that stage.

.. you mean you're not still using them :P

My first set was Brosnan somethingorother :? pretty good for a first set...

..OH that was a long time ago now when the world was such a nicer place :roll:

Courty
2nd October 2004, 08:11 AM
My first set was an ex-hire mongrel half set. No two irons were the same make. :roll: I then inherited my dad's old Prosimmons (complete with puny persimmon heads). The lasted until I started playing regularly again about 5-6 years ago, when I bought a full set of Wilson Advantage from Golf World. Then a few years ago, I won a NRL tipping comp and bought my darling Revo's with the proceeds! Woods & putter are changing with a lot more frequency though. :roll:

markTHEblake
2nd October 2004, 09:25 AM
.. you mean you're not still using them

No Master, I learnt the obvious truth that changing clubs often was a total waste of money by age 20, by which time i was on my 3rd set of clubs.

jaster
2nd October 2004, 12:30 PM
'Cept when you sell/trade them more than you bought them for hey blakey ;)

First set I owned was a mixed set, Woods were some PGF Ladies laminated 2 and 5 wood. Irons were 3, 5, 7, 9 Slazenger Masters. Putter was something with P75 on the botton, no idea of the brand but I still have it...sorta like a Cameron Nappa...but it's chrome and has a shorter blade.

senecio
2nd October 2004, 09:20 PM
A half set of cavity back irons with XL 3000 stamped in the cavity and on the sole. 3, 5, 7, 9 irons and a 3 wood. I was one of the first people I knew with a metal headed wood. At least half of it was metal. It was a hybrid, metal face and sole with a chunk of laminated wood to make up the rest.

As I said in Terry's other post, my wife is using those iron's now for her first set.

Ryan

AndyP
2nd October 2004, 09:38 PM
The set I started using was just some crappy mixed set that was just lying about the place. I think Keith Knox was the more dominant make of clubs in that set. Everytime a club would break, I would just replace it with something from Cash Converters.

Got "my first" set in July 2000, the Palmer Prizms.

BrisVegas
3rd October 2004, 07:25 AM
'Cept when you sell/trade them more than you bought them for hey blakey ;)

Mental note.... Don't buy any used clubs from Jaster!! :wink:

Eag's
3rd October 2004, 12:11 PM
I had a set made up of Spalding, Dunlop, and some K-Mart cheapies.
Damn it was an ugly set, but it got me around :wink:

wayz
3rd October 2004, 04:31 PM
Hmm... first set wasnt really all that long ago :)
Co: Carnegie Clark, it was a set of a fullset of:

Alien DS9
Believe it or not.. longest irons i have ever hit....

use to hit 7 iron 160-165mtrs easy

Bruce
3rd October 2004, 04:54 PM
I've still got them (see other thread)

Prosimmon Heritage set that my dad gave me when he last upgraded. I have added a metal wood and a taylormade putter to it that he obsoleted from his current bag.

Fishman Dan
4th October 2004, 09:36 PM
My first club was found by the side of the road, a very old 3-iron that was used to whack rocks in the bush over the road, and carved a neat hole in my forehead when i walked into my sister back-swing. Bled on my Carlton jumper too!

First real set were Carnegie Clarke 5- and 9-iron's, added to when i went to Sharpies with Dad and bought a 3-wood, 3, 7-iron's and a putter. That was my set while i went through school.

First (full) set when i was all growed up was the PGF Status QSS, when i purchased i was entered into a raffle and won my (current) set of Cobra Norman Grind II's.

markTHEblake
4th October 2004, 10:30 PM
My first club was found by the side of the road, a very old 3-iron that was used to whack rocks in the bush over the road

Seve Ballesteros started out with a 3 iron as well!

AndyP
5th October 2004, 09:47 AM
Seve Ballesteros started out with a 3 iron as well!
I think that is about as far as the comparison between Fishy and Seve should go.

Flowergirl
7th October 2004, 05:45 PM
Kmart specials for me too. Gave them to my Dad....he was rapt :D
Callaway copies for my second set - they had the words "Big & Easy" written on them - my husband said they were personalised & monogrammed !!......now onto some pretty nice little clubs purchased from my new best friend Ben :wink: ( that's when the game started to improve lately).

amanda
7th October 2004, 05:50 PM
Hmm... first set wasnt really all that long ago :)
Co: Carnegie Clark, it was a set of a fullset of:

Alien DS9
Believe it or not.. longest irons i have ever hit....

use to hit 7 iron 160-165mtrs easy
So why aren't they still in the bag?

My first set was purchased in July/Aug of 2002 - Dynacast MDS Plus - a full set of fairway woods and irons for $400 (including the bag & buggy!). I used that set to learn to play and get my handicap down from 45 to 31. I then gave them to lady to wanted to learn how to play but couldn't invest in a set of clubs (which seems weird as playing golf can be almost as expensive as buying golf equipment).

BrisVegas
7th October 2004, 07:31 PM
Callaway copies for my second set - they had the words "Big & Easy" written on them - my husband said they were personalised & monogrammed !!......

That's harsh, especially coming from your hubby! =D> :smt054 :smt043 :smt044 :smt061