PDA

View Full Version : How old and how long....

terryand
1st October 2004, 06:29 PM
OK guys and Gals, time to fess up to how old you where when you started playing golf and how did you get into it.

Also how long have you been playing for.

I started when I was 15,in 1980, when one of my Mates who was a couple of years older than me, that worked on the green staff at the old long pocket course( now Indooroopilly) suggested we go for a game.

After I laughed at him he convinced me to go with him. So off we go T shirt,stubbies and sand shoes(no socks), great golf attire.

After the starter had a quite word to us he let us on for a hit, and well... the rest is history.

So that means I have been playing for 24 years, only for fun up until 1987 when Indro hit us with a levy, so I thought I better start playing seriously to get my monies worth.

Terry.

drunken
1st October 2004, 08:02 PM
Played from about 13 when I had a bit of a hit with my Dad & Uncle. Played fairly seriously until I was 15 & had my handicap down to 13.

Played maybe three rounds a year until I was 19 when I started playing somewhat seriously again, so have been playing regularly for about 8 months now.

amanda
1st October 2004, 08:16 PM
I originally was intersted in golf because the bosses at my work played and at our Monday group lunch it was all they ever talked about!

So I told Brad that I wanted to learn how to play golf [age 23]. We went to the local goat track and Brad hired me a half set and I hacked around for 18 holes - thoroughly frustrated but still enjoying myself! After 2 rounds with hired sticks, he bought me a cheap $400 set (including the bag/buggy). I had a few lessons with a pro and played the goat track once a fortnight for a couple of months.

Once Brad noticed I was serious, he decided that we should join a club - so 6 months after I started playing, we joined and I got my handicap. That was in November 2002 - so I've been playing since July 2002. I'm pretty chuffed that I've improved so much - halved my handicap in 2 years!

Iain
1st October 2004, 09:27 PM
I started when I was 15,in 1980

Ha ha, thats funny, what month in 1980?? As I was only born in Sept 1980!!!!! :wink:

Anyway back to the question in hand, I played golf back at school for a couple of semester's (Back in '96 or '97), just most Wednesday afternoons, didn't really keep score, just out for a bash, then when I'd had a job a couple of years I decided to play, that was March '03. I bought a set and haven't looked back since. 8)

I'd always liked golf, as the old man has played as long as I can remember, just never got pushed in that direction (Or any other direction for that matter :roll: )

damoocow
1st October 2004, 09:48 PM
What a great thread !! [onya Tezza] -
I can recall quite clearly my Dad buying a set of Slazenger Masters clubs [but strangely only had 3 5 7 irons !] from the old Vic Park Pro Shop sometime in about 1977 / 1978 - I borrowed them when I found out Golf was a sport at High School [my mates were playing] - so in 1978 [aged 14] took it up - we used to play 9 hole comps at Virginia's crap back 9 [hang on that is every 9 at Virginia !!] against other schools - then when the interschool stuff finished we had an internal comp - which I won - nailbiting stuff - I think me and my nearest challenger were neck and neck coming into the final 9 hole round - he had a 56 - I had a 52 [an amazing round of golf !] and won the trophy which was presented on school assembly - one arvo at Virginia after school comp had finished we snuck onto the main course and played a few extra holes - on one of the par 3's a guy called Wayne Grady asked if he could play through - he hit an absolute pearler to within 30cm from the pin - I can still recall the look on all our faces - this would have been around '78 / '79 I guess - strange thing is that since then -[25 years of playing or so ] - I can really only manage to hit 5 or 6 shots better on an average round than that magic trophy winning day back in 1978 [ notwithstanding those days you can't explain where you get a hole in one or play + 8 off the stick when your handicap is 25]-
really this game is stupid,
damoocow

Ducky
1st October 2004, 09:58 PM
I started out reasonably young playing in the nine hole junior competitions at my old club (at which time I was around 9 or 10 years old). I had originally found an interest in golf through sibling rivalry after my brother had started playing.

I continued to play for a few months (mainly in the cricket off-season) learning the basics and rules, all the while wondering when I would be rewarded for the effort I was putting in. It wasn't to be long, as several weeks later I found myself in a sudden death putting play-off for a gigantic Easter egg as part of the Easter junior competition.

The winner was to be showered in 'chocolaty' goodness, where as the loser was to also be showered in 'chocolaty' goodness... just on a smaller scale. As it turns out, I won the competition, and came to the conclusion that golf had its rewards.

Shortly after, I decided that my game was progressing well enough to start playing in the eighteen hole Saturday competitions. I was given the maximum handicap allowed by the club (which was 32 at the time), and set about trying to lower it.

Once I hit a handicap of 16, I decided to try and qualify for the JNJGF tournaments. I did so successfully winning the handicap net score. Unfortunately, this was the point where I stopped playing competitively.

When I competed in the JNJGF tournaments, I effectively discovered the early blooming 13 year old gorillas. I can't say I really appreciated having to play against 13 year olds that were already 6ft, hitting the ball 260-280m, and shooting even par rounds. The realisation that I wasn't going to cut it had set in, and I decided to give up as opposed to carrying on.

I started playing again just recently as a way of getting myself away from the computer (which was slowly turning me into a hermit), and am quite enthusiastic about playing once again. I am now 19, so it has been almost 10 years since I first picked up a golf club.

Hmm, I got a bit off track there didn't I? Whoops!

:oops:

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

BrisVegas
1st October 2004, 10:35 PM
I first set foot on Wynnum Golf Club at around 14. My good mate Paul (rok) and his cousin Pete (stoney) lived there and I used to come down on school hols to hang out.

We started off just fishing for balls in the creek. Paul's Dad was the manager of Wynnum, so there was always something going on at the golf club. Kev was pretty encouraging, but never really forced it upon Paul or me. He gave us a few tips, but pretty much left us to our own devices. We used to go into the nets til late at night, the practice range and the putting green. Eventually we snuck onto the course at dawn and dusk, always wary of the evil course marshall - Alf Binty!

I stopped playing weekend tennis fixtures and started playing golf as a school sport in grade 11 & 12. I joined City Golf Club as a junior at 15, in 1989. First hcap was 17. Got down to a 7 hcap by the end of school, ie. 2 years. Been a member there ever since. I'm now 30.

McMw
1st October 2004, 10:56 PM
i would post something of relevance, but I got sidetracked by Terry's AVATAR!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

markTHEblake
1st October 2004, 11:21 PM
I started when I was 15,in 1980,

Uncanny? we may well be celestial twins or something.....

Although I had hit golf balls on the odd occasion since I could walk, technically it was Autumn of 1980 when I started playing formally, when I gave up surfing for the winter - too cold, and never went back to the water again. Part of the motivation for taking up golf was that my younger brother was going to the Junior clinic on sat mornings and Iheard he was doing OK, so i couldnt bare the thought of him being better than me at something.

Starting off with a freindship with the trainee pro who was about 20 who was really cool (ie means he had a car) I soon developed a real passion for the game, playing everyday for the last 3 years of high school except for a couple of days that were flooded out.

It took me about a year to get from 100+ to first breaking my handicap, from there it didnt take long at all to go from being the worst in my age group (by far) to the best by a long shot which was pretty sastisfying as i was hopeless at all sports. I still remember those 18 handicappers who thought they were pretty good laughing at my original hopelessness as I left them in my wake.

Since then i retired from the game twice, once due to a period of debauchery, and the other to a period of paternity, about 4 years missed all up.

Ona
2nd October 2004, 12:06 AM
first hit age 14, my dad played a couple of times a year> joined a club at 15, had never broken 100, but had a nice group of juniors, many of whoom are still good mates> was on 8 handicap a year later and continued to play in the weekly comps and pennants till 20> lost interest> found internet golf forums and spend far too much time reading about all your shit! :twisted: :wink:

Trung
2nd October 2004, 01:17 AM
i would post something of relevance, but I got sidetracked by Terry's AVATAR!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

at 700kb, the file is too big for an avartar. :twisted:

Jarro
2nd October 2004, 06:28 AM
I started dabbling in golf at High School at around the age of 14/15. Didn't really get into it seriously as i was too busy excelling at every other sport i tried my hand at :P :roll:

after the age of 15.. girls and alcohol became much more important and the golfing interest dropped off (as one would expect) and i never really got back into it until my late twenties (now 38)

at least it's the type of sport you can play 'till you're a really old fart :wink:

Courty
2nd October 2004, 08:06 AM
I was interested from a young age 'cos my dad used to (and still does) play a lot of golf. So when I was about 13, he started taking me to golf clinics at Cairns GC on Saturday mornings. I kept at it for a few years, but gave it away when I discovered cars and girls :twisted: . I started playing regularly again about 5 years ago when I became friends with a guy who played a lot, and I got the bug back. Hence, I am now addicted!

jaster
2nd October 2004, 08:45 AM
Started in Charleville at 8 (1982) after watching Bob Shearer win the Australian Open that year and I got a hand me down set of....SLAZENGER MASTERS ;) just like moocow. 3, 5, 7, 9 and a PGF ladies 2 wood and 5 wood. Played sporadically alternating between League and Golf until I was about 12 and my uncle gave me a sweet set of handmedown Wilson X31s and started to really like golf after I got injured playing hooker and the scrum fell on me :shock: Got down to 12 at age 13 after shooting my best ever nett of 57 with a 75 off the stick playing off 18 (had 6 chip ins!!!). I then stopped playing for couple of years due to a few health issues but then I started again at 16 getting down to a 6 handicap in that year. Ended up getting serious after I left school and playing Gary Player events and going to Greg Norman foundation clinics and got down to 3 at 18/19 but then moved to Toowoomba to study and stopped playing due to money/girls issues. Started back again at 28 and was playing off 11 and have since got down to where I am today in those 2 years.

Speirsy11
2nd October 2004, 01:39 PM
I got my first club at about 3yrs, but didn't actually start playing until I was 10. I got a membership at St. Charles CC when I turned 10, and have been there ever since.....I always enjoyed it, but didn;t start playing competitively until I was about 14......

Speirsy11

senecio
2nd October 2004, 09:05 PM
Started caddying for my old man when I was about 8. When we were far enough away from the club house that we couldn't be seen he would get an old ball out for me. I always used his 8 iron. For some reason in his old mis-matched set it was about an inch and a half shorter than his wedge.

I think I was in grade six at primary school when I came home one day with a school newsletter. They were starting golf as a school sport on Wednesday afternoons.

The next Friday dad picked me up after school and we went to the golf club. After he payed his green fees the club pro went out the back of the shop and came out with a brand new cut-down half set and one of those old crappy carry bags. I've been playing ever since (29 now).

The funny thing is that I still have that first half set and my wife is learning to play with them now.

Ryan

AndyP
2nd October 2004, 09:13 PM
Started playing the occasional social round while in high school in the late 80s/early 90s, I think, which makes me around 13. Don't really know why I started playing. Something to do I guess.

Became a junior member of Horton Park not that long after, but only used it for free social golf and only for one year.
Continued to play the very occasional social round.

Got into it more in 2000 when I entered the Shark Challenge, which allowed social players to submit cards. They started my h/cap at 30, and I was at 23 by the end of the year.

Joined Nambour GC in Jan 2001 (first h/cap of 17), and played on average twice a month for a few years.
Have been playing even more frequently since I have started chatting to you guys. 8)

Eag's
3rd October 2004, 12:18 PM
Took up Golf at 16 when I had to quit Footy due to some bad Knee injuries. Used to caddy for the old man and he would let me have a couple of hits during the day.

Played full on until I was about 23, then had a big break of about 7 years where I did not touch a club :oops:

Had a few games here and there but I was not really into it like when I was a kid. Then I met you guys and the rest is history as they say :wink:

Kee
4th October 2004, 07:22 AM
I started playing golf in September 2003, I was 26. My uncle, who is a keen golfer, gave me his hand me down Tommy Armour set a few years ago and tried to encourage me to take up the sport so he can have a playing partner when he visits Brisbane. I never touched it as golf never interested me. Golf seemed to be a "boring" sport.

I was a keen tennis and basketballer until a good friend persuaded me to follow him to the driving range for a group lesson in September. And when I started hitting the ball in the air, I was hooked and couldn't get enough of it.

Had a few months off this year due to marriage and a knee injury, but I'm now back playing again and loving it even though I can't break 100.

Flowergirl
7th October 2004, 10:30 AM
I started playing three years ago when I was 40 something ( no..not actually going to give the age away). Played socially for nine months and then joined my club in June 2002. Played off 45 for three months and then started to drop the old handicap. After 12 months I was off 29 and 12 months after that 23. Hopefully by this time next year I'll have achieved my aim of 18. :D

AndyP
7th October 2004, 11:43 AM
I started playing three years ago when I was 40 something ( no..not actually going to give the age away).
I think that's more than you've ever given away. You must be slipping. :P

Flowergirl
7th October 2004, 12:03 PM
I started playing three years ago when I was 40 something ( no..not actually going to give the age away).

I know...............it's about time I accepted that everyone doesn't judge you on your age. There are plenty of women who are at their peak in their 40's and I proudly am one of them. I'm sassier and sexier than ever - and playing well ( golf that is) - it's all good!!!!! :lol: (it's amazing how pointless worrying about your age is when your friends battling in hospital after a heart attack. )

terryand
7th October 2004, 03:17 PM

I know...............it's about time I accepted that everyone doesn't judge you on your age. There are plenty of women who are at their peak in their 40's and I proudly am one of them. I'm sassier and sexier than ever - and playing well ( golf that is) - it's all good!!!!! :lol: (it's amazing how pointless worrying about your age is when your friends battling in hospital after a heart attack. )

Oh god. wait till Jarro reads this :smt110

Or are you baiting him Flowergirl :smt047

Terry.

Flowergirl
7th October 2004, 05:39 PM
Doh...........after promising myself that I wouldn't do it again...here I am thread jacking AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!! Please ignore me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

terryand
7th October 2004, 06:19 PM
Doh...........after promising myself that I wouldn't do it again...here I am thread jacking AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!! Please ignore me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I started the thread Flowergirl :smt045

So you can jack it all you like :smt047 :smt101

Terry.

cazandpaul
8th October 2004, 04:15 AM
Been playing comp golf for 20 years now but only took it up seriously in my mid 20s - when I was a kid golf was seen as an old blokes sport - having said that didn't have much time after cricket, sailing and girls.

Met and married Caz on the golf course :D

wavemaker
8th October 2004, 10:48 AM
i played my first game in tabulam in mid 2002 aged 48 and loved it. played 3 or 4 more games over the next year and then last november i bought a second hand set of clubs whilst visiting the family in umina. once i had my own clubs i started playing every week. in march this year i bought a new set and now i am terrorising the poor bastards at maryborough. i will be joining the club here next week. dont have a handicap other than my self. i have had 2 lessons in cairns and will look for some more here. i have improved marginally since i went around with courty and onewood. i have never played sport so i am amazed at my enthusiasm for this crazy game. i love it.

Flowergirl
11th October 2004, 07:59 AM
Been playing comp golf for 20 years now but only took it up seriously in my mid 20s - when I was a kid golf was seen as an old blokes sport - having said that didn't have much time after cricket, sailing and girls.

Met and married Caz on the golf course :D

Now...........that's my kind of wedding!!!. Love to hear the details. :D
( I am a wedding junkie!)

Jarro
11th October 2004, 03:31 PM

Oh god. wait till Jarro reads this :smt110

don't worry Tezza, i didn't miss it :wink:

Flowergirl
11th October 2004, 03:58 PM
Oh bother!!!!! My friend is making a speedy recovery from his heart attack so I don't feel as philosophical about ageing this week!!!
So hows about we forget the postings of last week and I'm back at 39 again!!!!! ( somehow I don't think a certain person called AndyP will let me get away with this)

AndyP
12th October 2004, 09:34 AM
So hows about we forget the postings of last week and I'm back at 39 again!!!!! ( somehow I don't think a certain person called AndyP will let me get away with this)
O:)

Sorry to hear about your disappointment in your friend's recovery. :?

Flowergirl
12th October 2004, 10:07 AM
Oh no...........you didn't think I was anything but joking did you. I love this man - and I am just soooooo happy to know he is recovering.
You couldn't possibly think I was serious could you? :cry:

AndyP
12th October 2004, 10:28 AM
You couldn't possibly think I was serious could you? :cry:
Of course not.

Eag's
12th October 2004, 10:46 AM
Bugger me Andy :roll: you love to stir people don't you? :smt017

Flowergirl
12th October 2004, 11:08 AM
Now Eags - don't worry. I knew Andy was palying games with me and I was just playing back. But thanks for being chivalrous. :smt058

AndyP
12th October 2004, 12:35 PM
Now Eags - don't worry. I knew Andy was palying games with me and I was just playing back. But thanks for being chivalrous. :smt058
Eag's, It's all about figuring out who you can play with, and who you can't, and to what level. I'm slowly learning. :oops:

I'll PM you a spreadsheet that keeps track of it, if you want. :wink:

mike
19th October 2004, 09:56 PM
Took up golf in 2000 at the tender age of 36. Always considered golf too pedestrian a sport for me. I was more of a squash and touch footy player.
My, doesn't this game suck you in...

davidp
19th October 2004, 10:06 PM
Took up golf in 1999 at 30 years of age after I had to give up basketball because of bad ankles, and tennis because of tennis elbow and a rotator cuff problem. Hit some golf balls in my father in law's home paddock out at Wandoan with a 7 iron and hit them 155m and straight.

I've never been able to repeat that session, after I started thinking what I was doing. :(

I think I'll be struggling with this for a while... :shock:

Flowergirl
21st October 2004, 06:39 AM
Took up golf in 1999 at 30 years of age after I had to give up basketball because of bad ankles, and tennis because of tennis elbow and a rotator cuff problem. Hit some golf balls in my father in law's home paddock out at Wandoan with a 7 iron and hit them 155m and straight.

I've never been able to repeat that session, after I started thinking what I was doing. :(

I think I'll be struggling with this for a while... :shock:

Ah yes DavidP...welcome to the real world of golf. :wink:

TS
21st October 2004, 07:22 PM
Started golf at age 40 in 1998, handicap 12 at the moment. Hope to cut couple more stroke early next year.

Tony

Flowergirl
22nd October 2004, 08:12 AM
Started golf at age 40 in 1998, handicap 12 at the moment. Hope to cut couple more stroke early next year.

Tony

Well best of luck to you TS. Keep us posted :wink:

TS
22nd October 2004, 08:20 AM

Tony

Well best of luck to you TS. Keep us posted :wink:

You will be the first I tell if I get there.