PDA

View Full Version : What now Ben?

dc68
16th October 2007, 03:56 PM
A whisper going around Ben Cousins is in the poo again.

3oneday
16th October 2007, 03:59 PM
anal sex this time ?

AndyP
16th October 2007, 04:00 PM
anal sex this time ?Supposedly that's his bag, but I don't think he'd get in trouble for it.

Any news links, dc?

Jarro
16th October 2007, 04:02 PM
Police pulled him over while he was driving his car in W.A.

They searched the car, then led him away in handcuffs.

They haven't as yet disclosed what he's been charged with.

dc68
16th October 2007, 04:03 PM
Just radio at the moment.

AndyP
16th October 2007, 04:06 PM
Broken tail-light?

shazza_rs
16th October 2007, 04:07 PM
I'm gunna go with the obvious answer...... drugs!

3oneday
16th October 2007, 04:07 PM
I thought someone said he was back in the USA ? Not true then ?

Jarro
16th October 2007, 04:08 PM
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22595613-29277,00.html

3oneday
16th October 2007, 04:09 PM
Media beatup ?

Fishman Dan
16th October 2007, 04:15 PM
His mother would be so upset (http://realfooty.com.au/news/news/cousins-arrested-in-perth/2007/10/16/1192300751402.html)

dc68
16th October 2007, 04:15 PM
Taken away in handcuffs? Beatup? pfft!!!

3oneday
16th October 2007, 04:29 PM
Taken away in handcuffs? Beatup? pfft!!!more the bit about "a Channel 9 reporter says he saw him being taken away"

You trust everything you read I see :p

dc68
16th October 2007, 04:50 PM
Only in the pro-shop.....

raidrboy
16th October 2007, 06:48 PM
Taken away in handcuffs? Beatup? pfft!!!

What handcuffs?

Jarro
16th October 2007, 06:56 PM
When they arrested him they chucked the cuffs on

Hush Puppy
16th October 2007, 06:59 PM
Such Is Life

Moe Norman
16th October 2007, 07:21 PM
was arrested by the special gangs unit, so might have something to do with the company he kept/keeps

markTHEblake
16th October 2007, 08:47 PM
I wonder why he was smiling as he was lead away?

anyway it now sadly appears that he has been charged. Nobody really likes to see stars fall from grace, but as Mike Sheehan has previously written, his fall is complete.

Can only hope that now he gets his life together rather than become broke and washed out like many have done so before him.

AndyP
16th October 2007, 08:47 PM
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/10/16/2061401.htm

What a dumb ****!

Moe Norman
16th October 2007, 09:25 PM
if he avoids jail time - what odds of Carlton pcking hm up in the PSD? :)

Fishman Dan
16th October 2007, 10:07 PM
I'd say he'd be a better fit for the Pies, he has a past of gangs and firearms.

A bloke who has it all, couldn't give a f**k. Angwin and Karl Norman are touted as kids who threw it away - they lost nothing compared to this wanker.

markTHEblake
16th October 2007, 10:29 PM
Isnt he on a Zero tolerance deal with the AFL? so that would make this offence a ban from the sport, on top of whatever WCE might do.

I wouldnt like to think its a life ban though. For someone to rehabilitate they need something to work towards.

AndyP
16th October 2007, 10:36 PM
Isnt he on a Zero tolerance deal with the AFL?
No, that's his contract with West Coast. The AFL have stood back so far.

Fishman Dan
16th October 2007, 10:51 PM
I wouldnt like to think its a life ban though. For someone to rehabilitate they need something to work towards.

He should start by assisting police and giving a blood sample. Then 'getting out of prison' would be a good milestone.

Apart from that he's had plenty of chances to reform, and he's refused. It's egg on the face of the Eagles, the AFL and his teammates who saw fit to forgive.

raidrboy
16th October 2007, 11:13 PM
Being a West Coast supporter I am really disappointed with his action, he had the chance to straighten himself out so you commit the crime you do the time and, also it just might be the end of Daniel Chicks career also particulaly after WCE did not renew his contract.

Coffs_Hacker
17th October 2007, 12:25 AM
Come on guys u need to forgive and forget.... We all did for Andrew Johns.... Maybe he has a disorder too

Courty
17th October 2007, 06:34 AM
This would never happen in Rugby League. 8-[

goughy
17th October 2007, 07:28 AM
West Coast might fell this one now! Apart from the trouble for Cousins, there is talk of the AFL having to come down hard on them. Trade restrictions, competition points, fines you name it. They could be the West Coast Bald Eagles when it's all finished!

Moe Norman
17th October 2007, 07:51 AM
they might lose the draft picks they got from Carlton for Judd!

that would be quite amusing

Grunt
17th October 2007, 07:54 AM
Maybe Judd left because he could see this coming. Did not want to be there when the Proverbial hit the fan.

Fishman Dan
17th October 2007, 08:07 AM
they might lose the draft picks they got from Carlton for Judd!

that would be quite amusing

I hope they were offered with a "Return to Sender" policy.

Maybe Judd left because he could see this coming. Did not want to be there when the Proverbial hit the fan.

Gee, do you think?

AndyP
17th October 2007, 08:08 AM
Maybe Judd left because he could see this coming. Did not want to be there when the Proverbial hit the fan.Nah, he's just a money grub.

Moe Norman
17th October 2007, 08:10 AM
a little of column A and a little of column B

3oneday
17th October 2007, 08:13 AM
Do you reckon he/they will get away with it again, last time he confessed to having a problem out of season so wasn't caught by the AFL, now he's been done by the cops... but not by the AFL ???

Be interesting, I guess he could always go play gridiron :lol:

Fishman Dan
17th October 2007, 08:19 AM
He's going to get reamed. I'd be surprised if there's no prison sentence, considering that by all reports so far he had a 'quantity' of a prohibited substance.

The backlash has been massive. I expect something pretty harsh from the AFL today. If they don't act hard, the Weagles will lose sponsors and members - if they haven't already.

Moe Norman
17th October 2007, 08:20 AM
posession is a pretty minor charge.

however there is rumour that it will be upgraded to "posession with inent to supply'

Grunt
17th October 2007, 08:22 AM
Doesn't possession go off how much they found? Could they now have found more, say at his house?

dc68
17th October 2007, 08:27 AM
Come on guys u need to forgive and forget.... We all did for Andrew Johns.... Maybe he has a disorder too

Speak for yourself. No way am I gonna forgive that druggie. And I hope Cousins goes to jail. :p After all he was caught in possession. If it were you or I caught we would.

Fishman Dan
17th October 2007, 08:28 AM
Possession over a certain amount implies that you have intent to distribute. Being that he was taken down by a gang operation in Northbridge, it sounds like strayed into the net of a larger operation.

What the hell does someone like this need to get involved in the distribution of drugs (if that's what he was doing)?

just
17th October 2007, 08:35 AM
Because it guarantees his own supply.

AndyP
17th October 2007, 08:36 AM
The backlash has been massive. I expect something pretty harsh from the AFL today. If they don't act hard, the Weagles will lose sponsors and members - if they haven't already.I read an article that said one of their major sponsors had left, and others were seeking assurances that things would clean up, before this went down.

Poor Josh Kennedy.

Fishman Dan
17th October 2007, 08:45 AM
Poor Josh Kennedy.

Who??

That kid has to realise he'll be on a 2-3 year contract. After a couple of years of good footy he can negotiate whatever he likes. The better he plays, the more he'll earn.

Cousins and Chick's exit from the game will benefit Josh. It means that he won't be mixing with this level of f*&kwit.

AndyP
17th October 2007, 08:55 AM
Kerr, Braun, .... There's still ****wits left.

3oneday
17th October 2007, 09:19 AM
I heard on the radio it was only a very minor amount of drugs, so I doubt any of the jail terms and other ramblings :p will occur :)

dc68
17th October 2007, 09:23 AM
Bugger!

markTHEblake
17th October 2007, 09:29 AM
so I doubt any of the jail terms and other ramblings :p will occur :)

you mean apart from playing football for a long time, or forever?

3oneday
17th October 2007, 09:53 AM
you mean apart from playing football for a long time, or forever?this remains to be seen, but you would think it unlikely. Sadly though, public outcry doesn't necessarily run AFL ?

Virgal_Tracy
17th October 2007, 09:57 AM
Unless the AFL de registers him there is no way that West Coast will sack him. Would you sack him knowing that the AFL will register his contract with another club.

This is where the AFL have to show some leadership. Clubs don't want to do the right thing if it means that next week / seasonthey are coming up against that player who may well cost them competition points.

Fishman Dan
17th October 2007, 10:54 AM
The AFL won't re-register him.

He's going to cop a ban over a blood test that I'm sure he'll be forced to take, and at 29 there's no coming back from there.

I'm sure there'll be an emotional "I lost my mate Chris Mainwaring and I was having serious problems dealing with it" as a form of defence. He might get some sympathy but he's not playing footy again.

markTHEblake
17th October 2007, 03:37 PM
this remains to be seen, but you would think it unlikely. Sadly though, public outcry doesn't necessarily run AFL ?

no public outcry doesnt have anything to do with it, but the zero tolerance clauses put into his contract do ( so we were told )

pt73
17th October 2007, 09:42 PM
News break tonight says Eagles have sacked him.

Jarro
18th October 2007, 04:32 AM
Yep, he's been sacked.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22604085-23211,00.html

Bruce
18th October 2007, 09:58 AM
The word this morning is that he only had valium on him when he was picked up.

This in of itself is no crime. So we still only have Ben's word that he is drug addict.

markTHEblake
18th October 2007, 10:31 AM
regardless of what drugs he had, i am surprised the Eagles moved that quickly instead of waiting for him to be found guilty. I guess it was the last straw.

Interesting that the Eagles said that it was in Cousins best interest to be sacked. I am wondering what Ben's future prospects are like now? Who would employ him, who would go into business with him? If he doesnt value life (most drug addicts dont) then what is his motivation to rehabilitiate?

poidda
18th October 2007, 10:51 AM
The word this morning is that he only had valium on him when he was picked up.

This in of itself is no crime. So we still only have Ben's word that he is drug addict.

Yeah they said on the news last night that it was a drug to help recovering drug users. Will be interesting to see what the court finds.

I agree though. What happenned to being innocent until proven guilty?

poidda
18th October 2007, 10:57 AM
oh yeah, and the fact that it was the Organised Crime Squad that actaully picked him up might mean there's a great deal more to it than just posesssion.

phoeno
18th October 2007, 11:21 AM
I wonder if it had to do with the people he had been associating with after he had been told not to. Valium is p!$$ poor, like saying someone is a drugo coz they used panadol.

markTHEblake
18th October 2007, 11:25 AM
Apparently he spent the whole weekend on a drunken bender with Chick and a couple of strippers. No wonder the cops were following him.

Fishman Dan
18th October 2007, 11:45 AM
I wonder if it had to do with the people he had been associating with after he had been told not to. Valium is p!$$ poor, like saying someone is a drugo coz they used panadol.

Unless you've consumed so much blow that you need the valium to come down 'gracefully'?

poidda
18th October 2007, 11:49 AM
And FFS. If he had half a brain and got a cab he could have carried on with his bender.

Moe Norman
18th October 2007, 10:51 PM
regardless of what drugs he had, i am surprised the Eagles moved that quickly instead of waiting for him to be found guilty. I guess it was the last straw.
the whole not cooperating with police part may have had something to do with it....

markTHEblake
19th October 2007, 08:43 AM
This is an interesting story
http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/defiant-unrepentant-cousins-takes-up-fight/2007/10/18/1192300952925.html

I was surprised when Cousins pleaded not guilty, when it appeared at first he was as guilty as Sylvester with a yellow feather in his mouth.

Its now reported that drug he had on him was a prescription drug used by drug addicts on rehab.

If Cousins lawyer is right, there is going to be an interesting outcome to this saga.

poidda
19th October 2007, 09:09 AM
Well, it didn't take long.

http://lh5.google.com/poidda/RxfnHjrXvlI/AAAAAAAAAB4/iSBpbre_OYg/Ben4.jpg

http://lh5.google.com/poidda/RxfnHjrXvkI/AAAAAAAAABw/_X3Q-MXvWO0/Ben3.jpg

http://lh5.google.com/poidda/RxfnHjrXvjI/AAAAAAAAABo/LI6unuVzVHI/Ben2.jpg

http://lh5.google.com/poidda/RxfnHjrXviI/AAAAAAAAABg/NKcfv4-JQ58/Ben1.jpg

goughy
19th October 2007, 05:40 PM
http://au.sports.yahoo.com/071019/60/1g5fd.html

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=307329

Whoops!! Although his actions speak volumes.

markTHEblake
19th October 2007, 05:42 PM
Newsflash - Drug Charges dropped. (http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/10/19/2064629.htm?section=sport)

yeah its not all over yet but.....

Webster
19th October 2007, 06:12 PM
The more serious charge was refusing the drug test. You only do that if you have something to hide.

Grunt
19th October 2007, 06:22 PM
The more serious charge was refusing the drug test. You only do that if you have something to hide.

I know that here in NSW that refusing a test is taken that the person is guilty of whatever it is they suspect or were going to test for.

goughy
19th October 2007, 06:51 PM

Spot on! The guys a dope ;)

Webster
19th October 2007, 06:53 PM
Why do you think he ran away from the coppers last year and jumped in the river? Same thing - to avoid the blood test.

markTHEblake
19th October 2007, 06:54 PM
In NSW do the Police have to have a reason to get a blood test done or can they just pick anyone out at random?

Grunt
19th October 2007, 07:39 PM
In NSW do the Police have to have a reason to get a blood test done or can they just pick anyone out at random?

Think they can now MTB, we have random Drug testing as well as Random Breath Testing.

markTHEblake
19th October 2007, 07:42 PM
are you sure, sounds very much something like the civil libertarians would go crazy ape bonkers over.

goughy
19th October 2007, 07:54 PM
are you sure, sounds very much something like the civil libertarians would go crazy ape bonkers over.

They were the first one to refuse random drug tests and have all been locked up!

jimandr
19th October 2007, 10:30 PM
My understanding of the 'refuse a test' law in NSW is that it is a 'last resort' offence that is intended to be used as an inducement for people to eventually agree to the test, often after receiving legal advice. They can be charged, but they usually get off (more likely the charge will be withdrawn) unless there are other offences that will stick.

The Police rule of thumb is that if they do not have 'reasonable suspicion' they will let you go if you stick to your guns after you've been taken to the station. They have already caused considerable inconvenience, so they figure that is enough for one day or night.

In the Cousins case, I am amazed they pursued such a high profile matter without something more to go on. It's a very bad example of evidence collecting.

Fortunately for the police, the court of public opinion has already spoken. Even if he gets off, nobody believes he has done nothing wrong.

raidrboy
19th October 2007, 10:31 PM
Kerr, Braun, .... There's still ****wits left.

And if Kerr was on the market don't worry Hawthorn wouldn't say no.

markTHEblake
19th October 2007, 10:58 PM
In the Cousins case, I am amazed they pursued such a high profile matter without something more to go on. It's a very bad example of evidence collecting.

Its highly possible that the Police, knowing Cousins is a bit of a soft target went for him with no evidence at all. apart from the fact he spent the weekend on the piss with a tart.

Cousins realising that he could be up for a breath or blood test every time he walks out his front door has said "go and get stuffed" on principal.

The word is he was blood tested the weekend Mainwaring died and was clean. So far nothing has been revealed that suggests he is on the drugs again.

Mind you if he did refuse the blood test on principle then he has cut off his nose to spite his face hasnt he.

Refusing the blood test is a serious charge apparently and with what has come out today, my money is on him getting off that as well, on basis that he was victimised by the police.

Its a long shot but I like the odds :-)

Fishman Dan
20th October 2007, 12:16 AM

New WA drug driving legislation. Forget any relevance to our state laws, it's newly introduced over there and the failure to submit for a drug test when requested is an offense on it's own. That in itself breaks the Cousins Zero-tolerance clause. Goneski.

Is there an echo in here?

Not to mention having a prescription drug in his possession, without a prescription.

He's as guilty as Martin Bryant, but he'll get away with it, and then start proceedings against the West Coast Eagles, eventually going to the high court who will force them to legally reinstate him.

Such is life.

markTHEblake
20th October 2007, 12:22 AM
Not to mention having a prescription drug in his possession, without a prescription.

yeah, a drug that recovering drug addicts on rehab take.

That line in the movies has always amused me " have you a prescription for these"

since when has anyone ever got a prescription on them - you give it to the chemist and they keep the bloody thing.

3oneday
20th October 2007, 06:25 AM
The word is he was blood tested the weekend Mainwaring died and was clean. So far nothing has been revealed that suggests he is on the drugs again.word is that was a rumour, and didn't happen at all.

AndyP
20th October 2007, 06:27 AM
And if Kerr was on the market don't worry Hawthorn wouldn't say no.
We let Everitt go because he was a wanker, I don't see why we'd get Kerr in. The fact that he punched our captain in the balls probably counts against him too.
I forgot to mention Fletcher on my initial list.

The word is he was blood tested the weekend Mainwaring died and was clean. So far nothing has been revealed that suggests he is on the drugs again.The word is that it was said he did test, when he in fact didn't.

Fishman Dan
20th October 2007, 09:01 AM
yeah, a drug that recovering drug addicts on rehab take.

A drug that recovering addicts take to relieve anxiety and encourage sleep.

Or in Cousins case, a drug that brings you down from a monstrous high.

In either case it's not a drug that enhances your driving ability. If he was a recovering addict on valium (or diazepam as I've heard), he'd be at home in bed in the foetal position.

The fact that he punched our captain in the balls probably counts against him too.

Rhys-Jones and Diesel Williams ended up playing in the same team! Besides, your captain wouldn't mind a bit of gooly-action.

markTHEblake
20th October 2007, 10:13 AM
In either case it's not a drug that enhances your driving ability.

Only if you take it, having a drug in your pocket doesnt impair driving ability.

Fishman Dan
20th October 2007, 05:00 PM
Only if you take it, having a drug in your pocket doesnt impair driving ability.

Going on his all too well publicised history, I'm prepared to call it. He was higher than Jezza in *that* mark.

Jarro
20th October 2007, 05:08 PM

Jarro
1st November 2007, 09:07 AM
What's the go now ?!?

He's lobbed in L.A. but nobody has seen him since he got off the plane :roll:

What a great city for a cocaine addict to get lost in :mrgreen:

poidda
1st November 2007, 09:30 AM
What's the go now ?!?

He's lobbed in L.A. but nobody has seen him since he got off the plane :roll:

What a great city for a cocaine addict to get lost in :mrgreen:

No body but the two mystery glamours that picked him up from the airport! Got more respect for him now! :)

gazgolf1
9th November 2007, 08:24 PM
wow!!!

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=321475

3oneday
9th November 2007, 08:50 PM
That the 5 day bender on cocaine ? he's a waste of space.

goughy
9th November 2007, 09:04 PM
"Bite my shiny metal ass".

Fishman Dan
9th November 2007, 09:34 PM
He's not a footballer anymore, this is in the wrong forum :? Now he's just a bloke with too much money who's gone way off the rails. He needs serious guidance from here.

markTHEblake
10th November 2007, 12:48 AM
I liked the reporter on channel 9 that broke the story. He made a good act of seeming reluctant in telling it. I am sure the $$$ bonus he got lessened the burden.

Well thats kinda stuffed up Cousins hearing on monday, he has no hope in hell now.

Not sure what people expected really, take away a drug addicts means of getting off back on track - his career, what else would he do.

Bruce
10th November 2007, 09:23 AM
Sadly this is catch 22 of addictions.

"Oh man, My life is totally ****ed up! I've lost my job , my friends and everthing important thanks to my cocaine addiction. Some cocaine would make me feel better about things."

gazgolf1
10th November 2007, 09:47 AM
Ben Cousins limited edition T-shirt. ;)

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g32/gazgolf1/bencousinstshirt.jpg

Fishman Dan
11th November 2007, 09:48 AM
Sadly this is catch 22 of addictions.

"Oh man, My life is totally ****ed up! I've lost my job , my friends and everthing important thanks to my cocaine addiction. Some cocaine would make me feel better about things."

I think the final sentence should have read "I'm gonna take as much of this stuff as I can until my head explodes and I don't give a ****".

AndyP
16th November 2007, 09:31 AM
Benny's Stash Tin

andylo
16th November 2007, 09:35 AM
I read the news that his charged has been dropped. Does that mean he will goes back to his team to play whatever sport he's in?

Fishman Dan
16th November 2007, 09:44 AM
No - he has been sacked. They had a zero-tolerance clause in his contract, and the fact that he got tangled up in the law should mean he's blown his chance. He has had too many chances as a footballer.

Impressed with your post in an AFL thread though A-Lo ;)

AndyP
16th November 2007, 09:50 AM
I read the news that his charged has been dropped. Does that mean he will goes back to his team to play whatever sport he's in?His charges in Perth have been dropped, however charges may still be laid by the LA police for his 5 day binge and overdose.

goughy
27th November 2007, 07:16 AM
Instead of cleaning himself up as they say he was going too, Cousins has been seen partying it up at schoolies at the gold coast.

I think it's simply that he doesn't want to clean up. He's happy doing what he is. All his 'effort' at rehab have been for show and for family, club and friends. I don't think he's interested in rehab at all and is happy with the life he's living.

Taking drugs isn't necessarily a cry for help! I'm sure there are plenty who are content and happy in themselves that dope it up 'cause they like being stoned!

BrisWesty
27th November 2007, 07:48 AM
Definitely a Toolie at Schoolies.

poidda
27th November 2007, 10:49 AM
BEN Cousins has been filmed sniffing something from a table at a "party" apartment on the Gold Coast, says Channel Nine's A Current Affair.

The fallen football star has been on the Gold Coast for several days, reportedly partying until dawn.

A Nine film crew has been following Cousins for three days and A Current Affair is tonight running a story on the fallen star's noctural ways.

After eating at an exclusive restaurant, Cousins was filmed socialising with men and young women until early hours of Saturday morning on a veranda in the heart of the Gold Coast’s main eating and drinking strip.

It was during this time that the cameras apparently picked up Cousins leaning over to sniff something off the table.
But the reporter stopped short of revealing what the substance was.

Cousins then returned to his apartment in the light of morning.

Critics are baffled as to why the fallen AFL star, who has asked the media to leave him alone while he deals with his drug addiction, has chosen the Gold Coast during Schoolies week to hang out.

3oneday
27th November 2007, 11:02 AM
Maybe he was cleaning up the salt from his chips ?

markTHEblake
27th November 2007, 11:58 AM
Cousins wont be able to fart without the media making something of it.

Jarro
27th November 2007, 05:24 PM
I saw the "Current Affair" footage last night ... sure looked like he was snorting coke.

The guys a dickhead .... everything in the world to lose, end he keeps ploughing on ahead.

poidda
27th November 2007, 05:40 PM
And to think he could've just wating a few more years and then go on a 30 year bender without anyone even noticing.

goughy
27th November 2007, 07:55 PM
He should just say that he doesn't want to clean his act up. Tons of people want to do drugs. They don't want rehab. If he'd just stop saying he was gonna do rehab it would be better!

steverawlo
25th February 2008, 03:08 AM
Apparently Cousins is fighting on the undercard at Mundine's bout on Wednesday night....

Grunt
25th February 2008, 07:28 AM
Apparently Cousins is fighting on the undercard at Mundine's bout on Wednesday night....

Not now his management refused to do the mandatory blood test before the fight. They thought it would be for other drug in his system. I heard Johnny Lewis on the weekend comment on this. The test is mandatory for all boxers to ensure they are not at risk of Hep & other blood borne diseases.

AndyP
18th November 2008, 09:54 PM
He's back.
The question of where still remains.

Jarro
18th November 2008, 09:55 PM
Lions ??

adlo
18th November 2008, 10:03 PM
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa203/petluvins/PityTheFool.jpgHe is bad news.

Fishman Dan
18th November 2008, 10:19 PM
Should fit into Collingwood's boozy "Eddie will get me off the hook" culture quite nicely.

Flowergirl
18th November 2008, 10:36 PM
Well I wish him all the best. ;) I'm no saint and I'm sure most of you guys aren't either. Everyone deserves a second or third chance. Whatever it takes. I've had a bit of dealings in the past with addicts and if you give up on them it's a death warrant.
None of you guys ever had a friend or a relative whose had an addiction problem?

adlo
18th November 2008, 10:49 PM
He should earn some trust FG. Spend some time in the lower ranks. At least in the WAFL.

Fishman Dan
18th November 2008, 10:53 PM
Flowery - yes I have.

But the people I know and loved didn't have everything the world could possibly give them, albeit through his own hard work, only to flush it down the toilet. The people I knew and loved didn't stand there grinning like an idiot when they got done by the cops for the upteenth time, and then write a big fat cheque to lawyers and spin-doctors to discredit prosecution and escape serious penalty.

He's had so many chances it's akin to a soap opera.

If he manages to stay clean that's fantastic, though I think his best playing days are behind him. I doubt he could ever return to his prime - which when you come to think of it, may well have been with the aid of something in his blood.

3oneday
19th November 2008, 07:11 AM
But the bloke has never tested negatively to drugs, what about the other 6 guys still playing with 2 strikes against their name ?

Shame AFL, SHAME !!!!!!!!!

sms316
19th November 2008, 08:01 AM
Society is so soft on drug users. Every single one of these little germs has made a decision at one point in their life to take up drugs - nobody has held them down and forced it upon them. They should just line them all up and shoot them, rather than just throwing money in their direction (meth clinics etc).

Dotty
19th November 2008, 08:17 AM
... and when we finish this, we start on the left-handed, who are too lazy to conform. And the big-eaters, who are driving up the food prices at the supermarkets. ;)

(Not your best post, SMS, but a very common view in society, which I have been / am guilty of also.)

sms316
19th November 2008, 08:22 AM
Would Australia be worse off if we had drug laws like those in Singapore, Malaysia etc?

It is something that society certainly doesn't need - yet we look at drug users as victims.

Dotty
19th November 2008, 08:53 AM
Perosnally, I'd like to see stronger drug laws, along with stronger domestic violence laws, child neglect laws, etc. The 'line them all up and shoot them' is probably taking it too far, but it is a sign that we want the problem to go away. Unfortunately, it is mostly only the 'softies' (or cashed-up defence lawyers) that are getting their hands dirty with the problem, hence the emphasis on nurturing the 'victims'.

One of the minor reasons, I got out of retail pharmacy was to avoid the addicts and the subsequent risk of hold-ups.

I don't want this thread to become a drawn out debate on hypothetically tackling society's drug problems. This thread is about someone with a drug problem and a bucket load of cash available to address a single individual's problem.

razaar
19th November 2008, 09:23 AM
Well if he sh*ts in his nest again he can step up a notch and caddy for John Daly. :smt056

Grunt
19th November 2008, 09:39 AM
Seems he still thinks he has done nothing wrong.

Cousins may reject Drug Rules (http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24673852-23211,00.html)

PeteyD
19th November 2008, 10:14 AM
Main issue I have is what Grunt points out. Only thing he is sorry for is getting caught, not what he has done. Bloke should be given a chance if he is reformed, but rubbed out if not.

Ned
19th November 2008, 10:21 AM
The situation will always be the issue, individuals will come and go, this time it is Ben Cousins, next time it will be some one else.

In regards to the drug and society issue, especially when it comes to High Profiles, society and the powers to be are too reactive, instead of proactive.

Prevention is better then the cure.

If the earlier media was to be believed, Cousins issues and people like him were well known on the quiet but officialdom chose not to do anything, until public outcry forced them to react, and subsequently they did with one of the biggest sticks going.

Sets the bar very high for the next victim.:-k

shazza_rs
19th November 2008, 02:02 PM
I don't like the idea of a death penalty for drug trafficking. That would make my job that much more interesting. I'd be giving results to potentially get someone killed.

chappy1970
19th November 2008, 02:09 PM
I for one hope that the SAINTS pick him up

macjackass
26th November 2008, 02:22 PM
Thoughts on St Kilda passing on him? For me, there's only two clubs who don't need him and they were the two played in the grand final. They are clearly a level (or two in some cases) above the other teams. Even if you got two years you'd be getiing an elite player and proven big game player. The clubs are crazy, if he messes up cut your ties, easy done.

sms316
26th November 2008, 02:26 PM
The clubs are more worried about their image than winning. Stupid.

Sportsmen are not role models - they are great to model one's game on, but that is where it ends.

3oneday
26th November 2008, 02:37 PM
But how can sponsors threaten to walk if they sign him when all the do gooders of the world say he deserves a 2nd chance ?

This confuses me, if anyone bags the guy they get bashed from pillar to post yet sponsors are the ones saying he's bad for our brand ?

macjackass
26th November 2008, 02:38 PM
The clubs are more worried about their image than winning. Stupid.

Sportsmen are not role models - they are great to model one's game on, but that is where it ends.

Stupid, huh?

Collingwood is clearly not worried about theirs. Keeping that clown Didak surely signifies that?

sms316
26th November 2008, 02:38 PM
I would have thought any club who signs Cousins would get more than their fair share of media exposure. I thought any publicity is good publicity?

poidda
26th November 2008, 02:43 PM
What about the Broncos? They might be interested in him! ;)

3oneday
26th November 2008, 03:30 PM
Aussie cricket team ?

AndyP
26th November 2008, 03:45 PM
St Kilda were happy to recruit Cuz's partner in 'crime', Michael Gardiner. I wouldn't want either of them at my club though.

Fishman Dan
26th November 2008, 05:17 PM
But how can sponsors threaten to walk if they sign him when all the do gooders of the world say he deserves a 2nd chance ?

This confuses me, if anyone bags the guy they get bashed from pillar to post yet sponsors are the ones saying he's bad for our brand ?

In the same way that Chris Judd was a massive turnstile-mover for Carlton, Cousins may do the opposite for fans and sponsors alike.

The impact of the intense media scrutiny would be too distracting for any team with a host of young up'n'comers, which is why I thought the Lions/Pies/Saints may still be interested.

goughy
27th November 2008, 08:06 AM
With the Lions out it may be to the draft for him! Someone could get him cheap.

henno
27th November 2008, 08:16 AM
With the Lions out it may be to the draft for him! Someone could get him cheap.

A few grams of coke and a couple of hookers should be enough to sign him.

And in news just in, some pictures have surfaced of Ben in training during the off-season:

http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/7824/corkpu3.jpg

AndyP
27th November 2008, 08:43 AM
With the Lions out it may be to the draft for him! Someone could get him cheap.Errm, he was already in the draft. It's just that every club has stated that they won't be taking him via the first draft. However, the Lions may still take him in the second draft later on.

goughy
27th November 2008, 08:52 AM
Ahhhhhh OK. Still don't understand!

sms316
27th November 2008, 08:54 AM
Would I be correct in saying that if a club drafts him, they are not obliged to pay him any more than minimum $$$? It's not like he would have any bargaining power once a club owns him.

AndyP
27th November 2008, 09:01 AM
Incorrect, he can put a price on his head.

sms316
27th November 2008, 09:01 AM
So if a club draft him, they are obliged to pay that price?

AndyP
27th November 2008, 09:03 AM
Unless they come to some other agreement with him afterwards, then yes. That would be something they would have to take into account when drafting him.

AndyP
29th November 2008, 06:21 PM
Noone took him in the national draft, which leaves the pre-season draft. It doesn't look good for him though.

Jarro
29th November 2008, 06:22 PM
That's good .... he's a drug-cheat anyway

AndyP
29th November 2008, 06:35 PM
I agree. Stiff shit to him.

goughy
30th November 2008, 07:30 AM
While I wouldn't normally fully agree with you, in this case I must. It's not really the whole drugs thing that gets me. It's been his attitude and I bet that's what's scared the clubs off.

He's never seemed sorry about it - at least others fake it. Actions speak louder than words and he made a meal of fixing him self up. That bender in the US instead of being in rehab was a killer. And even when Bris still had his name in the hat they had to go see him! Shouldn't he have been putting in the effort.

Too bad so sad!

Ned
13th December 2008, 10:57 PM
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24796890-23217,00.html

poidda
16th December 2008, 12:27 PM
So he's off to Richmond then.

AndyP
16th December 2008, 12:28 PM
Haha. Even more reason to hate them.

3oneday
16th December 2008, 12:45 PM
Oh ?

That's nice.

chappy1970
16th December 2008, 12:54 PM
Personally, I'm happy he is playing again

macjackass
16th December 2008, 12:57 PM
Personally, I'm happy he is playing again

Me too. If his hammy is ok he will be a great pick up. If they get 2 good years out of him it will be a very shrewd move indeed.

Johnny Canuck
16th December 2008, 01:35 PM
Finally, something to cheer about for us Richmond fans!!!!!!

I hope.

BrisWesty
16th December 2008, 01:53 PM
Given your tag line, Johnny Canuck, you could be in trouble if Ben falls off the wagon.

Johnny Canuck
16th December 2008, 02:26 PM
I'm more worried about Graham Polak stepping in front of the wagon, than Ben falling off it!

He'll be under such scrutiny that he'll have no choice but to stay clean.

Hmmmm. Maybe I'll change the tagline just to be safe.

Bruce Dickinson
16th December 2008, 02:46 PM
Richmond just need to keep him away from Michael Gairdiner

BrisWesty
17th December 2008, 07:37 AM
Looks like he might be back in it already.
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24812402-1243,00.html

Johnny Canuck
17th December 2008, 09:39 AM
Cool. Maybe he can make a cameo in the prequel to Underbelly.

Ned
26th February 2009, 10:25 PM
Well his comeback did not save Richmond on this occasion, does this mean he will take the boys out for a quick snort to console or make it up to them ? (http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25112301-23211,00.html)

macjackass
27th February 2009, 12:44 AM
How about the crowd! Tonnes of black and white ferals on day release by the looks.