PDA

View Full Version : Week Commencing 15th October

Grunt
16th October 2007, 02:14 PM
Hi

Went out and played in a Social Game with the Work social club this morning. I hired a cart and it was not too bad. Foot meant there was not weight transfer forward as I hit the ball. All shots were off the back foot. In the end it did not turn out that bad. I shot 33 points for the day and got 3rd. 36 won the day so I am happy.

Foot did not play up too much through the day. I could not have played with out a cart though. Is a little sore this afternoon and I will ice it up and see how it is. Going to give tomorrows game a miss and see how I am for the St Mick's game on Thursday. If I can't walk it I may hire a cart and play there. Not sure though. St micks is not a place to be slicing the eyes off it all day.

phoeno
17th October 2007, 06:32 PM
Had a game at Logan City Golf Club on Monday in the trainee pro am. Played with 3 trainee's, Nick from Caboolture, Paul from Club Pelican and Eugene from somewhere in Sydney near Cronulla.

Three top young guys, all good players, and I enjoyed the company. As for my game, well I played pretty solid, didn't know the first nine we played that well and hit a couple of poor shots, 1 OOB and 1 lost in the next fairway with a blocked drive, both cost me 2 shots each time. Apart from that pretty much parred my way around the rest of them.

Course is in ok condition, greens recently renovated like most courses and fairways ok considering they don't have a fairway watering system.

It was good fun to play a short course and I look forward to playing there a bit more and trying to shoot a really low score.

Grunt
18th October 2007, 02:17 PM
Played St Mick's this morning, course was in great condition, little bit of work happening on the 14th & 16th Holes (new bunkers and bunker restoration), greens were excellent as alway rolling fast but rolling true.
I did not play well, 25 points. I tried to walk the course but foot was really not up to it and the game faltered as a result, some good shots some poor ones. Really stuffed up the holes where I tried to play smarter and not use driver, not once did the play safe shot work.
Short game (chipped in on one hole:smt038) and putting was ok, lots of scrambling and not much scoring. Broke the four iron on a punch shot out from under a tree.:oops: I hit a tree with the follow through and it just folded up around the tree
Oh well it was a game of golf and most of the rest of you were at work, so in the end I don't really care how badly I played.:smt023

AndyP
18th October 2007, 02:19 PM
Are they still working on the drainage? Were they still clearing those trees up the top as well?

Grunt
18th October 2007, 02:34 PM
The drainage repairs are everywhere, not too bad but lines of thinner turf coverage in the repaired areas. When you say up the top where do you mean?

kpac
18th October 2007, 02:37 PM
hmmm. for all those that read my last weeks write-up of hills international...

Rose coloured glasses is the verdict. When you're shooting 8 over par and having a day out the course is great, returning the following week playing from the blues and starting double, par, bogey, quadie, double, quadie the verdict is a little different.
Off the blue tees it is LONG very very very long, and just to be annoying they have, on many of the very long holes, forced layups and central f'way obstructions.
However i still think it is a good course, but it'll be a long time before you find me out there on a blue marker day!! off the whites the course is very enjoyable (equates to a norma courses blue markers) and a nice layout. Off the blues they are having a laugh. The 4th hole is the only down right stupid hole, tree 40m-50m right infront of the f'way?!?!? can't figure out anything with that one. As for the 17th i'll have to disagree with AP's critique of the hole. From the tee yes it looks like you'll be bloked by trees where ever you land, but have a look from the green and there is ample landing space for a range of 2nd shots (i took photos to illustrate and will post shortly so other can decide.)

Hills international = Nice course from the whites / over-ambitious off the blues.

ncr :oops:

markTHEblake
18th October 2007, 02:56 PM
You parred the 2nd :shock: thats the hardest hole in the world. If I parred that I would retire.

My best score on that hole was a 7, but i got lucky made a long putt.

I dont know about a tree in the middle of the 4th, isnt that on the left, but just the way the hole shapes makes it look like that?

the only hole i dont like is the 5th. Its unrealistic golf for me to hit 3 or 4 iron tee shot on a 400+ par 4.

Mate of mine is a long hitter - he claims to have reached every par 5 in two around there. He plays that hole 6 iron then 3 wood.

PeteyD
18th October 2007, 03:17 PM
Chopped around Kooralbyn for over the ton today, but enjoyed it. Was fun watching Scarfie and DC try and out drive each other. Steve played a really solid round. I played one hole well :D

AndyP
18th October 2007, 03:40 PM
I dont know about a tree in the middle of the 4th, isnt that on the left, but just the way the hole shapes makes it look like that?
It's on the right, and shouldn't be a huge problem for a fader like kpac. I think you can go over it anyway. It certainly looks daunting though.

From memory, poidda made the 2nd green in 2 and then 4 putted.

markTHEblake
18th October 2007, 03:41 PM
I just remember there is lots of trees, including the gully or something full of bushes. its kinda hard to define where you should be aiming off the tee.

AndyP
18th October 2007, 03:56 PM
The first time I played it, the hole looked like a dogleg left from the tee, when it's actually straight.

mikezone13
18th October 2007, 04:03 PM
The first time I played it, the hole looked like a dogleg left from the tee, when it's actually straight.

Kooindah waters hole #4...

kpac
18th October 2007, 04:45 PM
You parred the 2nd :shock: thats the hardest hole in the world. If I parred that I would retire.

parred it off the blues this week and off the whites last week. Far from the hardest hole on ther course o though.

when you look at the hole you'd think it goes to the left like andy says, it doesn't dead straight, and the tree may be 5metre right of centre, but very hard to play to the left and fade it back as the fway slopes savagely right to left and if you go left you're next shot is blocked. Didn't like that hole but i'll think about a different tactic for next time.

the only hole i dont like is the 5th. Its unrealistic golf for me to hit 3 or 4 iron tee shot on a 400+ par 4.

agreed, i hit 4iron and then 5 wood but only get front edge, not the best hole thats for sure.

Mate of mine is a long hitter - he claims to have reached every par 5 in two around there. He plays that hole 6 iron then 3 wood.
I recon you mate is taking the piss if he managed to land on the green in 2 on the 18th, cannot see that as posible, and 350m:shock: drive will leave you 230 in and it is heavily protected in front, it's a special day anyone gets that green in 2 surely. i played it drive in the piss for 1 drop 2 hit fway wood in the piss 3 drop 4 9 iron to 10m 5 jagged the only decent putt all day for 6 :roll: very tough hole, par 5's dont usually seem to grab top spot on the index's but i recon that should be no 1.
I'll start a thread on the 17th though, i recon it's a good hole.:smt023

markTHEblake
18th October 2007, 05:24 PM
parred it off the blues this week and off the whites last week. Far from the hardest hole on ther course o though.

are we talking about the same hole. 430m OB hard left all the way, little green stuck up in the air on a pedestal and nowhere to miss the green. And if you cant reach the green in reg you have to lay up 175m back
(yeah there is the scruffy area running down towards the lake, but that doesnt count)

Scariest hole I have ever seen, you must be the Wee Ice Mon !

I recon you mate is taking the piss if he managed to land on the green in 2 on the 18th,

Nope - not a problem for this guy. was a member for years there also.

He says on 18th hit it right with a big hook, ball runs for miles. Then getting home is easy.

kpac
18th October 2007, 06:10 PM
are we talking about the same hole. 430m OB hard left all the way, little green stuck up in the air on a pedestal and nowhere to miss the green. And if you cant reach the green in reg you have to lay up 175m back
(yeah there is the scruffy area running down towards the lake, but that doesnt count)

? yeah 430 but down hill off the tee - off the white i hit driver and 5 iron in, 5m two putt, off the whites hit driver and 5 wood to 4 metres. didn't find it too tought really, no pressure off the tee shot just dont hook, find the green with your apraoch and it's all good.

Scariest hole I have ever seen, you must be the Wee Ice Mon !

Nope - not a problem for this guy. was a member for years there also.

Well that helps, still a big hitter getting home from there :smt038

I'll be taking interest in a warm up game out ther before the champs if you lads are interested (similar style to the KV course) and just as tough. $17 inc comp fee.

AndyP
18th October 2007, 06:45 PM
I'm sure the 2nd hole is index 1. My last venture there, saw me miss the green to the right, and go way down the hill. The chip back went thru the green and was right on the OOB fence with no backswing. I'm sure it was still a few shots home from there.

You're probably better off starting a thread on the whole course, not just the 17th, kpac.

markTHEblake
18th October 2007, 07:30 PM
? yeah 430 but down hill off the tee -

yeah but like many holes at Hills, you run out of fairway so the downlhill part doesnt help much

when i played there, our group had a total of about 34 strokes on that hole. I had a 7 which was the best.

I'll be taking interest in a warm up game out ther before the champs if you lads are interested

I'll have a crack, especially the weekdays ending 2nd November, as Emerald lakes is closed, so my normal wed game is out.

kpac
18th October 2007, 07:57 PM
sound good blake - both times i've played out there, it's been pretty quick round too. Nov the 2nd is a white tee comp (GOOD!)

markTHEblake
18th October 2007, 08:40 PM
White tee, heck wil have to be hitting 7 iron off the tee on the par 4's then

goughy
19th October 2007, 06:18 AM
Had a really interesting range session and 9 holes this week! Made a slight change to my grip which has had a profound effect on the feel of my swing. It now feels less contrived at the top of my back swing and my wristcock feels much more natural and fluid. Hit the ball really really well at the range.

Took it out for 9 holes the other day then. Had my best 9 hole score in years, 4 over. Included no fairways in regulation. But missed shots were much stronger and not as much offline as in the past. My first off the first was a hook (surprise) but not my usual pull hook. It started right then went left, which is new for me and as a result it didn't go oob. Ended up birdie so who's complaining. Apart from that shot, most of my misses were blocks which I think aren't far off from the hook I hit on the first, just no hooded face.

Scarfie, that 1 iron is shmick. Was bombing it at the range, off the turf too, and it held up well at the course. Fatted it off the 3rd tee 200mtrs, Then bombed it down the 7th with a slight block that was going down the right edge of the fairway. Headed down and never found the ball. Had no clue! Ended up having a double and finished the day with 4 over. Was very happy with that, as it didn't feel anything special, just solid.

The grip change worked for my putter too, with 12 putts for the round.

markTHEblake
19th October 2007, 07:25 AM
Goughy the Golfer. Has a nice ring to it.

goughy
19th October 2007, 05:54 PM
Was golfin' goughy in school! Didn't play much golf back then. But the name stuck!

And I'm not giving up that 1 iron mtb ;)

markTHEblake
19th October 2007, 05:55 PM
Wait till you try and hit over the lake on the 18th at Kooralbyn.

I'll be standing by with my snorkel and flippers.

Jarro
19th October 2007, 06:16 PM
Goughy, if you continue using that 1 iron you're a nutter :p

Glad to hear you've had a good 9 holes recently though 8)

goughy
19th October 2007, 07:03 PM
Goughy, if you continue using that 1 iron you're a nutter :p

I'll take that as a compliment, as it implies you didn't think I was a nutter beforehand. Thanks Jarro!

I was hitting it off the deck at the range and it was going pretty good.

Where it shines though is when I need to hit a low cut out of the trees. You can open the face up and still keep the ball down reasonably well.

markTHEblake
19th October 2007, 07:25 PM
Well arent you an idiot. if you hit the 1 iron off the tee, you wouldnt be in the trees.

BTW, even God doesnt practice with a 1 iron.

goughy
19th October 2007, 07:43 PM
Well arent you an idiot. if you hit the 1 iron off the tee, you wouldnt be in the trees.

BTW, even God doesnt practice with a 1 iron.

And yet, when I hit it down the right edge of the fairway I couldn't find he ball!

Jarro
20th October 2007, 10:55 AM
Played Nudgee this morning. Started well playing the front nine in 4 over par 40, then went double, bogey, triple on the second nine :smt013

Was hitting the driver and irons well, but just couldn't get used to the pace of the greens ... they were running really quick !

84 (40/44) par 71 (36/35)
8 fwys
10 G.I.R
39 putts :oops:

3oneday
20th October 2007, 10:56 AM
Dump the scotty.

Jarro
20th October 2007, 10:58 AM
Nah, greens were just super quick and it took me a bit by surprise :shock:

Always the way though, they were in great nick today and are due to be renovated shortly :roll:

shazza_rs
20th October 2007, 11:46 AM
With Pete and I not having a home club in brissy anymore found ourselves having a social hit at Nudgee today. (South course).

For something interesting we played matchplay.

I was lucky enough to win 2 Up.

Was hitting my driver and irons fairly well. Greens had been cored 1st week of october so pretty bumpy. However the guy in the proshop gave us a drink voucher for the green conditon so that was pretty cool.

Fairways - 7
GIR - 11
Putts - 34

Oh and i shot a 79 off the stick.... :):)

AndyP
20th October 2007, 12:04 PM
Oh and i shot a 79 off the stick.... :):)Although it's not comp and doesn't count ;), well done. Your golflink doesn't have any scores under 80. Is this a first time?

Jarro
20th October 2007, 12:12 PM
blah blah blah blah..

Oh and i shot a 79 off the stick.... :):)

Nice shootin Blondie :smt023

shazza_rs
20th October 2007, 12:14 PM
Thanks Andy and Jarro...

Yep it is the first time under 80... previous best was an 83 at st lucia/nudgee south.

kpac
20th October 2007, 01:52 PM
top stuff shaz, i'm still holding out for the 70's...

oz
20th October 2007, 02:32 PM
Played in a 4BBB at Howlong with a new guy form work today. My driver was a bit wayward today, and you play for that at Howlong. Made a couple of nice birdies, though, and we finished with 42 pts. Not a disgrace.

Greens were a bit slow, and it took me a while to adjust to the pace, but I do believe I made some short game progress today. 1/2 dozen nice up & downs is a decent improvement over my recetn rubbish.

Courty
20th October 2007, 03:44 PM
I played this arve in an individual stableford. I was consistently mediocre with 16pts on each side for a total of 32pts. Although the score wasn't fantastic, I have taken some encouragement out of the round. Some things started to click with my swing, and my putting was excellent.

FIR: 7/14
GIR: 5/18
Putts: 27

BrisVegas
20th October 2007, 04:36 PM
well, you beat me courty. I played single stab today and had 30 points (16 & 14) despite hitting some pretty good shots. I had a couple of 3-jabs and also had two wipes due to plugged balls in bunker faces... I've had worse rounds for sure, but a little disappointing none-the-less.

13/14 Fairways
4 GIR
32 putts

Scoot
20th October 2007, 06:21 PM
1st round of champs today, had a 91 / 77.
Very disappointing, but only due to three holes (two quad bogeys and a triple). Otherwise not too bad.

Had 4 consecutive 1 putts to bring it hime which is the most encouraging part.

Made it a bit harder than I wanted to, but... 54 holes to make it up!.

mikezone13
20th October 2007, 07:10 PM
Fantasic day at The Links, Shell Cove great ball striking but could nto putt to save myself...

46 shots and 44 putts :( for 28 points.

9/13 fairways
10/18 GIRS
44 putts

Highlight of the day was my mate grabbing an eagle on the 3rd hole from about 10 feet and my two putt birdie on the same hole.

I did try a new putting grip, but it wasnt that that was the cause of the 44 putts, the green speed was just difficult to judge, we had 84 putts between me and 4BBB partner for the round.

BrisVegas
20th October 2007, 07:12 PM
46 shots and 44 putts

That's a new way of saying 90. :wink:

phoeno
20th October 2007, 07:18 PM
Played the qtr final of the club matchplay championship at Carbrook. Had 4 over and lost 2&1. Reasonably happy to get close against a quality opponent but made a few too many mistakes for my liking.

mikezone13
20th October 2007, 07:24 PM
That's a new way of saying 90. :wink:

Bugger, you noticed ;)

goughy
21st October 2007, 10:07 AM
Cardiovascular fitness has hit an all time low running out of puff on the 10th. Pretty wussy that's for sure. Short game is costing shots big time. But happy enough with how things progressed considering. Can't expect much when you're out of puff.

Did find out that bunting drives is for the ducks! I missed the fairways just as much so I just went swinging. Hit some pearler's.

Jarro
21st October 2007, 12:39 PM
Wantima today with the Hackers. 84 off the bat (37/47) par 70 (35/35)

Started the round well opening up with 5 pars and hitting every fairway and GIR for those holes. Back nine claimed me bigtime though, i started bogey, double, double, triple :roll:

6 Fwys
9 G.I.R
31 putts

Eag's
21st October 2007, 01:04 PM
Played Wantima today with the Hackers
83 (40/43) The new irons went well just need to get a few more rounds in with them to build up confidence.

8 Greens
9 Fairways
32 Putts

jimandr
21st October 2007, 05:08 PM
38 points today at the home of Fishman Golf, Gordon.

It is the sort of course where you aren't really sure whether you are actually playing well or not. My driving, for the most part, was terrible, but my irons were quite good, and I didn't find the bad spots on the course. My short game was OK, so the score turned out quite well.

Fairways = 5 of 9
GIR = 10 of 18
Putts = 32, zero 3 putts
Up & Down = 3 of 6

I'll post some more details of the game in Fishy's first tee thread.

rick3003
21st October 2007, 06:19 PM
Played the final two rounds of the champos this weekend. Had a 76 & 77.

Left plenty out there with the flatstick as per usual.

Overall I am pretty happy considering the course was set up very difficult as it should be this time of the year.

Always 08 guess ;)

Scoot
21st October 2007, 07:05 PM
2nd round of champs, and followed my 91 / 77 up with... a 91 /77.

Geez I'm crap.

Grabbed an 8 on the Par4 5th again, but found a different way to do it today.

If I tell myself I'm not out of yet, I may beleive it. 2 rounds of 70 / 56 required though

MBA golf day tommorrow to lighten things up a bit.

Scoot
22nd October 2007, 09:24 PM
Played in a 4 ball ambrose today (social).

Had a handicapping system using 6 secret holes to calculate it.

We had -5 with caps of 14 15 19 and a non player - 27 (at least).

That makes 75 and divide by 6? gives us 12.5 for a nett 54.5 normally

Got done by the winner who got 58 odd.

We got ripped off, but I smucked the driver all day. Real happy, and got NTP on second shot for $50 drummonds voucher