PDA

View Full Version : Steel head drivers

amanda
1st October 2004, 07:05 PM
Hi everyone,

Brad is thinking of buying a 2nd hand steel head driver as an experiment for windy days when the Deep Bore just won't behave (because of the lack of spin). Any recommendations on something recent?

terryand
1st October 2004, 07:09 PM
I'm sure you can pick up a brand new Cally steelhead or steelhead plus for less than $200 at Golfworld.

Terry.

Jarro
1st October 2004, 07:27 PM
TaylorMade's 200Steel drivers are VERY good and should be had for a low price at the moment :wink:

senecio
2nd October 2004, 10:45 PM
Not exactly recent but if you can find one a King Cobra "Deep Face" driver would fit the bill perfectly (the one that Tiger and Norman used back in the late 90's

I still have mine and I every time I have a bad driving day I threaten to put it back in the bag.

Ryan

markTHEblake
2nd October 2004, 11:34 PM
I dont get it, Brad wants more spin when its windy?

jaster
2nd October 2004, 11:46 PM
What blakey said???? He should look at more spin on less Windy days but spin + wind = balloon city 8)

Ducky
3rd October 2004, 03:15 AM
Maybe it's for downwind occasions...

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

Jarro
3rd October 2004, 07:54 AM
maybe he'd be better off with an R7 Amanda :smt017

amanda
3rd October 2004, 09:54 PM
blakey - the SMT DB puts very little spin on the ball because there are no lines on the face. When you're in a strong crosswind, he thinks that the wind puts spin on the ball and you can't counter-act that with the DB. However, if you've got a club that can put spin on the ball, you can spin it against/with the wind to work to your advantage. Well - that's his theory anyway!

markTHEblake
3rd October 2004, 11:00 PM
My understanding is that the score lines on a driver dont attribute to the ball spin rate.

in any case that ball is still spinning at least 2500rpms so I aint too sure about his theory - maybe direct him towards some Einstein books :-)

McMw
3rd October 2004, 11:11 PM
score lines in the middle of the clubface (or on the clubface wherever) has been tested to be more of a help in the wet conditions...think of tyre threads and wet roads...

goughy
4th October 2004, 07:19 AM
I would think you're both right. The driver's face is to upright for the scorelines to do any real work apart from channeling gunk away from the ball. And how much gunk is on the ball when you're hitting it with a driver; I whipe mine off if it's dirty before teeing.

If you look at many current drivers they often don't have score lines at the impact area.