PDA

View Full Version : Injured- but could have been way worse.

Grunt
15th October 2007, 08:16 AM
Hi all

Had a real close call at work last night.
In moving an engine stand (about 500kg at a guess) at work I got my foot crushed between the stand locking foot and the ground. At the time I though it was broken for sure. It was trapped for a little while the guys released the lock. First off going the wrong way and winding it down harder on to my foot. The locking foot rode over my steel cap then jammed between my ankle and the end of the steel cap. As a result I have the top of my foot, the Heel and the side of the ball of my foot all blue with bruising.

Got taken to a occupational Doctor and he said it is not broken and sent me back to on light duties. He said I could go back to work with the following restrictions. Limited Walking , Standing & use of stairs. Anyone who has seen a plane would know that my job is awfully restricted by these. The company was stoked as it was my last nightshift before a break they have 5 days for me to recover and be back at work on Saturday. That way they don't have a LTI (lost time Injury).

Had a full week of golf planned this week too! :mad: Can't walk today, will see how I go later in the day. If it feels better tomorrow I am going to try play Liverpool with the Work Social club, I am going to hire a cart for it.
Lucky it is not broken as it would have seen me out of the Champs, not out of the weekend up there just the golf.

Eag's
15th October 2007, 08:20 AM
Bugger Grant, that is not good mate :(
Sounds like you were very lucky not to break it.

Grunt
15th October 2007, 08:25 AM
Bugger Grant, that is not good mate :(
Sounds like you were very lucky not to break it.

When I was pinned to the ground by it I thought it was definitely broken. AS it was released I was expecting to see something not pretty. I got my shoe and sock off and it was just red and starting to swell. A few minutes later I stood up and hobbled out of the way of the aircraft. As I could stand on the ball of my foot I got confident that it was not broken. A few guys said I was a bit like a dog who has been run over and tried to do the runner and get moving as quickly as possible. I guess I wanted to convince myself that nothing was seriously wrong.
Would have alerted some passengers at the Domestic terminal too. I was in full view of them.

Fishman Dan
If you play golf this week then you have no leg to stand on (pun intended) when you return to work and complain about soreness.

The shareholders won't be pleased.

BrisVegas
Maybe take a week off golf and give it a chance to heal. I'd suspect playing golf for a week will just aggravate.

(Not that I can talk, as I keep re-injuring my wrist every time I play lately).

Grunt
15th October 2007, 08:29 AM
If you play golf this week then you have no leg to stand on (pun intended) when you return to work and complain about soreness.

The shareholders won't be pleased.

They don't give a **** about my injury, all they care about is the fact if I go back Saturday it will be no LTI. Even the boss said that last night. I got back to work last night and sat in the office with my foot elevated doing nothing. They had me there until midnight until they realised I might be better off going home so as to recover better chance of returning to full duties on Saturday.

TS
15th October 2007, 08:33 AM
Sorry to hear about your accident, but it is good to hear that it is not something major. Take a break for a few days and let the foot heal mate.

Grunt
15th October 2007, 08:57 AM
Maybe take a week off golf and give it a chance to heal. I'd suspect playing golf for a week will just aggravate.

(Not that I can talk, as I keep re-injuring my wrist every time I play lately).

Sorry to hear about your accident, but it is good to hear that it is not something major. Take a break for a few days and let the foot heal mate.

That is the plan, Doctor last night thought I would be sore today and it would be better tomorrow. Thinking at the moment that I will be able to play Thursday. Am doing the RICE thing. Could not stay in bed as it was hurting lying down so am now laying back at the computer desk with foot up elevated & bandaged after a 20 min session of ICE, another ICE in 2 hours. Who knows if I stick to it today I may be back on the course tomorrow ;)

markTHEblake
15th October 2007, 09:00 AM
Grunt, next time you see an engine stand, start screaming, lie down and roll around on the ground, and keep yelling out get them off me.

Nobody will think any lesser of you, and that should be good for a couple years salary payout and a nice pension (after you get out)

Trung
15th October 2007, 01:32 PM
Grant,

Your profile pics with your legs flying everywhere after your swing. With your foot injury, I suspect that you can cure your golf swing.

BrisVegas
15th October 2007, 01:51 PM
good point trung. parking a half-tonne engine on his toes might help him stay a bit more "planted"!

Muza
15th October 2007, 02:44 PM
unlucky but lucky at the same time. hope it recovers soon. I think the best way for it to recoover is to play as much golf as you can. Can you claim cart hire on medicare?

Fishman Dan
15th October 2007, 03:19 PM
Grant,

Your profile pics with your legs flying everywhere after your swing. With your foot injury, I suspect that you can cure your golf swing.

Post of the year.

Grunt
15th October 2007, 03:30 PM
Is the front foot so it could even get worse with me not transferring weight through the swing.

poidda
15th October 2007, 03:35 PM
Ever thought of trying left handed? :)

Grunt
15th October 2007, 04:35 PM
Coming good, if it keeps improving I may not even miss a game this week. Walking around with a slight limp now. The ICE is really working.

Fishman Dan
15th October 2007, 04:38 PM
Coming good, if it keeps improving I may not even miss a game this week. Walking around with a slight limp now. The ICE is really working.

It was never in doubt really, was it. Does Ben Cousin's supply your ice?

dc68
15th October 2007, 04:39 PM
Give it a REST...... Jeez mate take it easy.

Grunt
15th October 2007, 04:41 PM
It was FD, still only 60/40 if I play. Tomorrow is only a chance because of the cart option.

Jarro
15th October 2007, 04:41 PM
Put your feet up for the week Grant.

Grunt
15th October 2007, 04:43 PM
Put your feet up for the week Grant.

Nah too hypo to sit around for a week, remember the Brain Tumour only caused a break of 10 days or something from golf. What's a little bruising going to do?

dc68
15th October 2007, 04:48 PM
All that proves is they took out the part of your brain that says you need to rest up.

Fishman Dan
15th October 2007, 05:01 PM
So basically that melodramatic spiel you put on us in post #1 was over-hyped and unwarranted?

3oneday
15th October 2007, 05:06 PM
This healed yet ?

AndyP
15th October 2007, 05:30 PM
Pics?

Grunt
15th October 2007, 06:29 PM
Pics?
Can get one if you like?

AndyP
15th October 2007, 07:38 PM
Sure, why not. Let's hear what all this sooking is all about. :p

terryand
15th October 2007, 09:28 PM
Is Grunt sooking, hadn't noticed :-s

Terry.

PeteyD
15th October 2007, 09:35 PM
were bones sticking out?

3oneday
15th October 2007, 09:38 PM
is it mint ?

Flowergirl
15th October 2007, 09:38 PM
I've had a broken toe and a stress fracture this year - man up ladybug.:smt023 ;) :mrgreen:

I'll kiss it better for you at the champs.

Grunt
15th October 2007, 10:02 PM
I've had a broken toe and a stress fracture this year - man up ladybug.:smt023 ;) :mrgreen:

Just recovered from a broken little toe on the other foot.

mikezone13
15th October 2007, 10:07 PM
Easier to recover from a broken toe than a broken ego mate, hope you never have to get over one of those... in fact I'm certain there's some on here still trying to get over a broken ego... ;) :D

I know I have lately :D

markTHEblake
15th October 2007, 10:14 PM

theres about 20 Ozgolfers right now wondering whether it's worthwhile to have a zipper injury.

Grunt
16th October 2007, 09:35 PM
After giving it a good session on RICE yesterday, I played golf today. Was not flash but got out there. Pulled up a little sore but nothing too bad. I dropped out of tomorrows game with Andrew as a precaution of any damage I may have done today. I was a little sore this afternoon but now I am really happy the injury is recovering. Bruising has peak and now I have a blue heel and ball on the foot with the additional bruising over the top of it. On the whole a pretty good recovery, I am almost a definite for St Mick's on Thursday now, no cart too. Not even Aircraft tooling/injuries can keep me off the Golf Course :lol:.

markTHEblake
16th October 2007, 10:30 PM
Grunt, wasnt amputation been discussed yesterday?

now you playing golf - crikeys.

dont tell me, your mrs put a bandaid on it and it stopped hurtin :-)

Fishman Dan
16th October 2007, 10:46 PM
I like reading how a blue foot means that it's healed well and it's time to play again. You certainly have a way with words!

3oneday
16th October 2007, 10:50 PM
dont tell me, your mrs put a bandaid on it and it stopped hurtin :-)you forgot.. and kissed it better !

:lol:

Grunt
19th October 2007, 04:07 PM
Thought the foot had healed well over the week, guess I did too much. Heel has not healed and now the big toe has bruised up and is stiff.
Have to go tomorrow and see the work doc to get cleared to resume full work duties. Can't see how he can work a way for me to be on my feet for 12 hours. Guess you all were right, oops. Hope I have not done any further damage and I hope the Doctor not seeing the need for X-rays on the night has not missed anything.

markTHEblake
19th October 2007, 04:10 PM
get the kids to jump up and down on it a few times. make sure you get a couple more weeks off

Grunt
19th October 2007, 04:12 PM
get the kids to jump up and down on it a few times. make sure you get a couple more weeks off

Maybe, but I have actually not had any time off at all. I have been on my normal rostered days off. Tomorrow will be the 1st day that QANTAS will actually be bothered if it is healed or not.

mikezone13
19th October 2007, 04:39 PM
Guess you all were right, oops.

That's definitely worth immortilising ;)

Fishman Dan
19th October 2007, 04:39 PM
Are you going to tell him you played golf and had golf lessons on your broken foot?

Is this the same guy who wrote in and got his speeding ticket turned around?

Grunt
19th October 2007, 04:43 PM
Is this the same guy who wrote in and got his speeding ticket turned around?
Did not need to, the RTA made all fines invalid due to poor signage of both the speed limit and the camera.

AndyP
19th October 2007, 05:06 PM
That's definitely worth immortilising ;)Signature worthy?

Fishman Dan
19th October 2007, 05:20 PM
Signature worthy?

Banner worthy!

Grunt
22nd October 2007, 05:04 PM
X-Rays were taken today another appointment with the Doctor on Wednesday afternoon. Feels about 80% healed now, am on restricted duties at work this week due to the fact the doctor doesn't want me walking around for 12 hours.

Fishman Dan
22nd October 2007, 08:53 PM
X-Rays were taken today another appointment with the Doctor on Wednesday afternoon. Feels about 80% healed now, am on restricted duties at work this week due to the fact the doctor doesn't want me walking around for 12 hours.

But is it ok to play golf?

3oneday
22nd October 2007, 09:40 PM
that's only 4 hours, should be fine.

Fishman Dan
22nd October 2007, 09:43 PM
that's only 4 hours, should be fine.

One of your finest :lol: :smt038

Grunt
24th October 2007, 04:11 PM
All cleared, X rays cleared of any breaks, Just soft tissue damage that has almost 100% healed. Golf is back on!!

terryand
29th October 2007, 02:46 PM
How's the foot going Grunt.

Terry.

3oneday
29th October 2007, 02:56 PM
How's the foot going Grunt.

Terry.:lol: :lol:

You're getting waaayyy too much sun there Tezz :lol:

Trung
29th October 2007, 03:50 PM
I'm tempted... But must resist to fuel more fire..... :smt108:-k