PDA

View Full Version : Help needed - electric shavers

Fishman Dan
14th October 2007, 08:43 AM
I need some help. I need your feedback regarding these beasts.

I've never trusted them. As a kid when I fired up Dad's antique gadget I got scared; the thing rumbled the howled like it was going to take off my epidermis. I switched it off and backed away, never to return.

My new job has a certain "keeping up appearances" element. Not that I ever went to work unshaven, but I used to be able to go 2 or 3 days without shaving and it was fine. Occasionally I could let it go longer to let my stubble grow out, which minimised in-growns.

One week on the new job and I had to shave 3 times, and with a black-tie do last night I had to rack up another - that 4 times in a week. The after-shave 'sting' last night took about an hour to subside. My 2-day rule is shot - more meetings tomorrow at work, so another shave is inevitable.

So what's out there, how often do you use them (note I will still prefer a blade where possible), and what can I expect to pay. What happened to the "Close as a blade or your money back!"??

mikezone13
14th October 2007, 08:47 AM
Keeping up appearances doesn't always mean shaving... you could always do the trimmed beard look... i.e. once a week trimmed very short

kpac
14th October 2007, 09:01 AM
"Close as a blade or your money back!"??
It's a farse sorry mate,
I've given a couple a go and have reverted back to the blade. They are expensive, but you save money on blades. (mind you i've just discovered oem brand blades that go almost as good)
Anyway for what it's worth, i stuck with a braun for 6 months, soft on your skin and stuff, but the criticism from the miss's for the constant stubble gets annoying aswell. For all intents and purposes if you can cop a constant 5 o'clock shadow then they are your answer.

Jarro
14th October 2007, 09:30 AM
The BLADE is your friend Dan ... never trust the electric face peelers !!!

Grunt
14th October 2007, 11:38 AM
I have got the Phillishave Coolskin and have been using electrics for years. Coolskin models are good as they can be used in the shower too for the quick tidy up. No complaints here, I just have to use the trimmer attach before I attempt to shave if I have left it any more than 2 days. Otherwise it is just plane torture. Go for the full cordless Dan, Shavershop is good to go and have a look at models they have heaps. Not sure what their prices are like though.

Grunt
14th October 2007, 11:39 AM
Also G69 had a thread about this topic too

scarfie1
14th October 2007, 12:23 PM
I've got one of the top current Phillips models and basically it's sh*t. Especially under the jaw line it refuses to cut everything. Plus it's annoying on longer hair as it tends to pull them out. If you want a half decent job it takes 10mins as well so you might as well use a blade.

goughy
14th October 2007, 02:20 PM
I have never used a blade razor in my life. I used dad's phillishave as a kid and have used them ever since. They are right when they say they are not as close as a blade. Simple as that. But they are close enough for work, even if they are picky.

Some people tend to find the phillishave style better and easier on their faces (other brands are also like these), and some like the remington type ones.

I have a fairly thick growth, and it's fast. If I shave in the morning and am going out that night I can easily have to shave again. Some of the new phillishave ravors; the coolskin models; come with some lotion which fits in the razor and is used while you are shaving. It should make things easier on your skin. You can also get ones that you wash the razor clean under water. I'd definitely look at something with those features.

Youdon't have to get the highest models, but don't go bottom barrel. Sub $200 should cover you easily.

Fishman Dan
14th October 2007, 05:59 PM
I'm not surprised to see a lot of these reactions, electric shavers tend to be a myth, however I can't debunk Goughy's response. I'm similar - thick stuff that regrows pretty readily. As much as people are against them, I have faith in Goughy's word - he's often got a good opinion, and he uses Ping. Can't go past that.

Tomorrow morning I might wind up taking off more skin than stubble, but it will have to be done. I'm also in trouble because it's a relatively new blade - once the edge is taken off the blade I'm sure the blood-flow will be reduced.

mikezone13
14th October 2007, 06:56 PM
That's funny fishy, I get more cuts with old blades than new ones. The old ones tend to grab on a stubborn hair etc.

goughy
14th October 2007, 07:35 PM
I can't debunk Goughy's response. I have faith in Goughy's word - he's often got a good opinion,

I cried when I read these words! Seriously!

markTHEblake
14th October 2007, 08:03 PM
I have tried a couple of electric shavers, i seem to end up burning my skin on em, through the microscreen, cos i gotta push down so hard on the bloody thing otherwise nothing gets cut.

Kinda like mowing the lawn when someones swiped the blades, just rolls over the grass.

kev
14th October 2007, 08:39 PM
How about using a blade first thing on Monday morning and electric for the rest of the week? Rinse and repeat. I use disposables on Mondays and get 2 or 3 shaves out of them, then a Phillishave for the rest of the time.

I haven't found any electric razor that does a really good job, but they're good enough to get me through the week.

Fishman Dan
14th October 2007, 09:17 PM
Kev - you're a thinker. I like that. The electric is a big time saver aside from all the negatives. Being that my stubble is dark it's hard to bluff, and Monday's I have a WIP meeting with the MD of the NSW/ACT business, so it's all about appearance! The blade has to remain for Monday's.

Goughy - that's a little bit gay.... and there's everything wrong with that!!

goughy
14th October 2007, 09:43 PM
How about using a blade first thing on Monday morning and electric for the rest of the week? Rinse and repeat. I use disposables on Mondays and get 2 or 3 shaves out of them, then a Phillishave for the rest of the time.

I haven't found any electric razor that does a really good job, but they're good enough to get me through the week.

Actually, I've gone nearly 2 weeks without shaving then pulled out the electric (not using the beard trimmer) and have shaved it off. It took a while, and I had to empty it about 6 times as it was getting a bit clogged, but it still did the job.

raidrboy
14th October 2007, 10:06 PM
Actually, I've gone nearly 2 weeks without shaving then pulled out the electric (not using the beard trimmer) and have shaved it off. It took a while, and I had to empty it about 6 times as it was getting a bit clogged, but it still did the job.

Goughy has hit on the key word empty it and clean it after each shave and it should give you a good shave. I used electric shavers through most of my career in the Army and never had any problems. Only used the blade when on exercise at Shoalwater and Tin Can Bays. Of course on sum execises the Engineers bought in the 66 KVA generators and the electric quickly appeared out of the pack.

markTHEblake
14th October 2007, 11:51 PM
Only used the blade when on exercise at Shoalwater and Tin Can Bays.

theres nothing better than a dry shave in a leech infested swamp - memories :neutral:

goughy
15th October 2007, 06:59 AM
Less than 2 minutes this morning having not shaved since thursday. No probs. Will take half the time tomorrow.

Fishman Dan
15th October 2007, 08:01 AM
Less than 2 minutes this morning having not shaved since thursday. No probs. Will take half the time tomorrow.

I'm in pain!! Ok Goughy - I want brand names and models if you can get that specific!!!

Fishman Dan
15th October 2007, 08:03 AM

I'm in pain!! Ok Goughy - I want brand names and models if you can get that specific!!!

It's the combination of frequent shaving and the wearing of shirt/tie that's doing me in.

EDIT - Oooh, double post....

AndyP
15th October 2007, 08:09 AM
Ask your boyfriend.
http://ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7750

I use electric, but my facial hair growth is pathetic, which makes for an easy job.

goughy
15th October 2007, 06:40 PM
http://www.gadgetguy.com.au/articles/664/philips-hs8060-moisturising-shaving-system-home-appliances-small-appliances-electric-shavers-men

I'd look at the cheaper of the 2 myself. I've never had the top of the line ones, but go for the middle range. You'd get them cheaper than their retail too!

http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/en/au/consumer/cc/_productid_HS8060_24_AU_CONSUMER/moisturizing-shaving-system+HS8060
http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/en/au/consumer/cc/_productid_HS8020_17_AU_CONSUMER/moisturizing-shaving-system+HS8020

kpac
15th October 2007, 08:23 PM
anyone else excited about the annual excuse to got without shaving for a month in Movember......

Excellent awareness/cause aswell!!

Grunt
15th October 2007, 08:33 PM
May do it all again

PeteyD
15th October 2007, 08:45 PM
http://www.gadgetguy.com.au/articles/664/philips-hs8060-moisturising-shaving-system-home-appliances-small-appliances-electric-shavers-men

I'd look at the cheaper of the 2 myself. I've never had the top of the line ones, but go for the middle range. You'd get them cheaper than their retail too!

I got one for Fathers Day. Not a bad unit and being able to use it in the shower is a plus. There is still a patch under my chin that the shaver struggles with, but on the whole I am pretty happy with it. Mind you I am like AP in the beard growth stakes, more a fuzzy peach than a coconut rough.

Fishman Dan
15th October 2007, 10:39 PM
These things sell for $550!!!!

I figure there are 3 types; Phillips, Braun and Remington. And each make about 200 models.

goughy
15th October 2007, 11:33 PM
Stick with philips. Just buy the cheaper one in my links above, unless you have the dosh for the dearer one.

Jarro
16th October 2007, 04:41 AM
There is still a patch under my chin that the shaver struggles with, but on the hole I am pretty happy with it.

How do you manage that one ?

With a mirror :-s

PeteyD
16th October 2007, 05:45 AM
I gave up on that and go for the BSC at Bronzed Brazilian now ;)

goughy
16th October 2007, 06:44 AM
40 secs this morning