PDA

View Full Version : Port Douglas - Sea Temple

Toolish
12th October 2007, 12:12 PM
Well, next weekend I tie the knot with the long suffering better half.

For our honeymoon we are spending time at the Sea Temple resort in Port Douglas. I had already got sign off that while there I would be playing a round. However I contacted them today about hire clubs and was informed that they are changing the grass on the greens and half the course is shut, so a round becomes 2 x 9 holes off different tees.

So,given the multitude of queenslanders on here, question is do I go with that, or are there other courses up there I should look at. we have a hire car but I don't want a massive drive.

Cheers

mikezone13
12th October 2007, 12:18 PM
Congrats on the impending doom.. I mean marriage ;)

Appears as if I may have to take up this 'option' soon... I'll definitely be tryign to get sign off on a golf day (or 2) on a honeymoon.

gazgolf1
12th October 2007, 12:19 PM
So,given the multitude of queenslanders on here, question is do I go with that, or are there other courses up there I should look at. we have a hire car but I don't want a massive drive.

Cheers

Earth calling County. :)

Andrew
12th October 2007, 12:31 PM
Let me congratulate you Toolish, & in the future Mikezone, not on getting married, but on setting the standard early. The most important thing a golfer can do on their honeymoon is to play a few rounds of golf. I played four rounds on my honeymoon.

Relationships need to be based on truth right from the start. If you are a dedicated golfer, then playing one or two rounds a week is the truth.;)

mikezone13
12th October 2007, 12:34 PM
Let me congratulate you Toolish, & in the future Mikezone, not on getting married, but on setting the standard early. The most important thing a golfer can do on their honeymoon is to play a few rounds of golf. I played four rounds on my honeymoon.

Relationships need to be based on truth right from the start. If you are a dedicated golfer, then playing one or two rounds a week is the truth.;)

Here here Andrew... oh shit the missus might see me type this ;) :D

AndyP
12th October 2007, 01:22 PM
Courty will have all the answers for you, Toolish. Commiserations on the marriage.

FWIW I played 9 holes of golf with the missus on a flooded 9 hole golf course on South Molle Is on our honeymoon.

BrisVegas
12th October 2007, 01:26 PM
Be buggered if I was gonna leave my missus alone for that long on my honeymoon.

Grunt
12th October 2007, 01:37 PM
Congrats Toolish
I played the morning of the wedding @ Kapalua. Was easy and ever since the golf has never been a problem. Playing 4 days next week. :p

mike
12th October 2007, 01:41 PM
Sea Temple is a great course. Shame about the course maintenance.

Most obvious 2nd choice is Paradise Palms, about half hour south. If you play there and care to go for a swim on the 10th you'll find a couple of Fishman Dan's golf balls at the bottom of the lake. And I think that's where my putter landed, too.

Also, Mossman ( a stones throw to the north ) is a terrific country course. Watch the back 9, tight tight tight.

Congrats and have fun.

Courty
12th October 2007, 04:48 PM
Mike has it spot on, Paradise Palms is at Palm Cove (about a half hour drive south from Port Douglas). P'Palms is in sensational condition at the moment as the (Von Nida) Cairns Classic is on in a few weeks time. Fishman was going to post a mini review & some pics.

The other alternatives are:
1. Mirage Country Club (in Port Douglas) which is an over-priced dud these days.
2. Mossman GC. Never laid eyes on it.
3. Half Moon Bay GC. Another 10-15 mins south from Paradise Palms. Hardly worth the drive from Port Douglas.
4. Cairns GC (my home course). 10-15 south again. Currently undergoing green renos also. Avoid.

Fishman Dan
12th October 2007, 04:57 PM
Mike - that's cruel. Besides there are more in dry creek beds than there are on the lake to the right of the 10th tee. Whatever you do Tooly - don't think "I'd better not block one off the 10th tee". Under no circumstances should you EVER think that ;)

PS - It's possible to par the 11th after a cold top too ;)

EDIT: I also played here on my honeymoon. And yes, it owned me on that occasion too.

Courty
12th October 2007, 05:03 PM
PS. I also played a round of golf on my honeymoon, although it was at some nondescript course at the Gold Coast which I can't recall the name of.

Boonie
12th October 2007, 07:28 PM
Paradise Palms is definitely the best up there if you want to do the 30-40 min drive back towards Cairns. It's a resort course, but a good track

As Mike said, Mossman is close and a really fun country course that is very enjoyable

Do not even contemplate playing at Mirage, awful, awful golf course that costs an enormous amount of money. Stay well clear.

And congrats Toolish! Port Douglas is great, you will have a ball

Flowergirl
13th October 2007, 12:30 AM
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Congratulations on your approaching nuptials:mrgreen:

And I agree- Paradise Palms is a great course to play. You'll pass it on your way up to Port Douglas. The Mirage is crap.

mike
13th October 2007, 08:02 PM
Watch the back 9, tight tight tight.

I was referring to your wedding night, not Mossman Golf Club.

Julie
14th October 2007, 06:39 AM
Mossman is only 15 minutes away from Port, and less than half the price of Sea Temple.
Although I was at the Sea Temple yesterday for a lesson, and it was looking absolutely beautiful.

Courty
25th October 2007, 10:15 PM
This done yet?

Toolish
31st October 2007, 11:14 PM
yeah mate, got back in yesterday...went for Sea Temple playing the 10 holes they had in operation, but dropped into Paradise Palms on the drive up.

Sea Temple was damn nice, fairways are mint and although the greens were pretty slow they were true. I however was far from mint...had a rock solid 50 for 10 holes. Hit one into the lake to the right of the 4th green which I did not know was there as teh mrs told me 'nah, there is no trouble there'...guess I need a new caddy.

Also the first time I have ever used hire clubs... A reg cally X460 11° is a bit different to a Stiff Titty 905S 9.5°!!

The whole trip was a blast, and 10 holes was enough for me with a dodgy shoulder at the moment anyhow...thanks everyone for the advice...if I head to the area again both Sea Temple and Paradise Palms will be on the to do list...and during 4 days in Port Douglas we drove past the Mirage at least 10-12 times...only ever saw 1 golfer on there!

Flowergirl
1st November 2007, 11:19 AM
How was the wedding? Pictures??

Toolish
2nd November 2007, 12:05 AM
Wedding was great, day went perfectly...I will get some pics up soon!