PDA

View Full Version : Qld holiday question

Boonie
11th October 2007, 08:09 PM
We couldn't get away during school holidays this year due to work, but have just decided we may take the kids out of school early November for a week and head north for a week or R&R.

We have 3 kids (6,8,10 y.o). Basically keen to go somewhere where the ocean is warmish and swimmable (rules out stinger zones), and there is a good chance it won't piss with rain for a week.

We are thinking Lindeman, Rydges Capricorn Yeppoon, Dunk Is - that sort of thing.

Lindeman is a fair bit more expensive, but we may be happy to pay it if it is that much better. We want the kids to have plenty to do, but we aren't into dumping them at kids club all day. A good resort pool close to the beach would be a bonus I guess.

So basically - decent weather, good beach(es), some activities and kid friendly. Golf is not an issue, clubs are staying home.

Any advice from those up north would be appreciated.

Rydges looks OK, and is a fair bit cheaper - is this a good option for a family trip?

Thanks guys

PeteyD
11th October 2007, 08:28 PM
November weather is always a risk, but usually evening storms rather than constant rain. PM DC68 about accommodation etc. Out of season he may be able to get you a good deal.

perci
11th October 2007, 09:05 PM
Twin waters Resort on the Sunshine coast could be a good alternitive unles you want to go further up North.

poidda
11th October 2007, 09:48 PM
Boonie, I grew up in Rockhampton, and Rydges is a great option for a faimly holiday. It's right on the beach, and the pool/facilities are great for families. It's a few kms out of yeppoon, so is a real nice place to get away from everything. I've traveled about a lot, and Great Keppel Island is one of the most beautiful places in the world, and is an easy day trip from Rydges/Yeppoon. It hasn't changed a bit in 25 years, which is great. That part of Aussie is lucky as it's just far enough away from a major city that the weekenders haven't ruined it yet.

Anyway, if you want more details feel free to ask.

Oh yeah, the 2 courses at the resort are excellent, and there's another 2 within an hour worth playing as well.

Courty
11th October 2007, 10:08 PM
Wot PeteyD said. I'd cross Dunk Island off the list. It's become a haven for short people with black hair who take photos of everything. :???:

Moe Norman
11th October 2007, 10:31 PM
Rich,

Dunk etc is too far north mate. Stinking hot weather and stingers in the water. Don't go any further north than the whitsunday's.

Considered somewhere a little further south, like Kingscliff?

Salt is nice, I think its run by Peppers now. Very kid friendly

If you want activity overload - Couran Cove at South Straddie

Julie
12th October 2007, 07:10 AM
I am pretty sure that Dunk Island has got a nine hole golf course!!!!!!!!

markTHEblake
12th October 2007, 09:04 AM
Dunk has, and I heard they play an interesting stableford competition up there. For every stroke above Par, after each hole you skull a beer or nip of spirits.

I guess if you have a birdie you get a credit. God help the poor buggar who triples the first, he might be unconscious by the 4th.

Their first greenkeeper up there was a bit of a drinker, maybe he had something to do with the concept. He used to be at Horton Park, and one day a golfing lady knocked on the door of the greenkeepers house and said to his son, that "the man on the mower has fallen off it and cant get up again"

Boonie
12th October 2007, 01:07 PM
Thanks guys, appreciate it.

Looks like we will do a combination of Rydges and Keppell, should be good. Looks like what we are after.

Weather zone site says Sunshine Coast gets twice as much rain as Capricorn in November also. Does that sound right?

Not a deciding factor, as I know it could rain for a week at either. If it rains it rains, but might as well play the odds a bit

Salt and Twin Waters both looked excellent if we had gone down the Sth Qld/Nth NSW route. Will keep them in mind.

Cheers, Rich

AndyP
12th October 2007, 01:19 PM
Weather zone site says Sunshine Coast gets twice as much rain as Capricorn in November also. Does that sound right?Everywhere seems to be struggling for water supply, except the Sunshine Coast. It has been raining a lot there in recent times. I can't imagine that November will be much different.

Fishman Dan
12th October 2007, 05:01 PM
Boonie - don't rule out northern NSW. Byron, Ocean Shores etc. Fly to Cooloongatta then head south for 30 minutes.

a) It's not QLD
b) Daylight savings.
c) Ocean Shores Golf and Country Club ;)

You know it makes sense.