PDA

View Full Version : 2007/08 summer of cricket

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Jarro
11th October 2007, 07:27 AM
Ok footy is over, let's bring on the cricket season 8-)

Sri Lanka and India are coming over for some test matches and the one-day series. Aus Vs India should be the highlights of the series, particularly after the aggro that's been happening in the one-dayers in India at the moment :smt023

Anyone going to the one-dayers here in brissy ?

AndyP
11th October 2007, 07:38 AM
Looks like I'll be going to the first day of the test, and either the regular one-dayer or the final.

I've been warming up the No Ball call for when the motherchucker strolls in.

Jarro
11th October 2007, 07:41 AM
That motherchucker looks set to become the greatest wicket taker in test history in this series too doesn't he ? He's only a few wickets behind Warney now.

AndyP
11th October 2007, 07:53 AM
He will be the most prolific wicket taker, not the greatest. ;)

Jarro
11th October 2007, 08:02 AM
No arguements from me

3oneday
11th October 2007, 08:02 AM
He will be the most prolific wicket taker, not the greatest. ;)this is true.

Fishman Dan
11th October 2007, 08:55 AM
Biggest and most successful at cheating.

Jarro
11th October 2007, 08:56 AM
Biggest and most successful at cheating.

Yes Daryl ;)

dc68
11th October 2007, 09:15 AM
Just had to pass on my ticket for the Friday of the test... A "mate" (term used loosely) decides it is a good idea to get married on that day... FFS.

dc68
11th October 2007, 03:49 PM
The Munchers are struggling big time 7/105

Jarro
11th October 2007, 03:55 PM
Johnson is bowling superbly ... he has to be picked for the first test at the 'Gabba :)

dc68
11th October 2007, 04:06 PM
5 for 22 for Mitch... Munchers are Goooorrrrrrrrrrrrrne

Jarro
11th October 2007, 04:08 PM
.. on a wicket that is as flat as too.

Aussie bowlers are right on their game today :smt023

goughy
11th October 2007, 04:17 PM
Wot's the deal with playing india now and then again over here? At least I'll get to hear some of it; it's not on abc radio atm.

Bruce
15th October 2007, 04:32 PM
Based on what I've seen so far we will crush both of them. Tests will be lucky to go for 4 days.

Mitch Johnson may be the new guy to bowl at the death. He was pretty awesome last night bowling a double wicket maiden after Brett Lee had been spanked all around the park. His ability to send an old ball up around the ribcage of batsmen trying to open their shoulders really put the brakes on. I want him in the first XI.

3oneday
15th October 2007, 04:35 PM
How about that sitter that Lee dropped... hit him on the knuckles !

I wonder if he was thinking of his new indian chart topping single :lol:

Jarro
15th October 2007, 04:39 PM
I was also pretty impressed with Johnson's spell in yesterdays game.

The guy should be picked for the test series for sure

Moe Norman
15th October 2007, 08:40 PM
one day form should not be considered for test selection.

AndyP
15th October 2007, 11:14 PM
Tell the selectors that. They seem to consider it all the time.

Fishman Dan
16th October 2007, 08:30 AM
one day form should not be considered for test selection.

Works for Shane Watson.

Either Mitchell Johnson or Bracken will play tests. Bracken has a track record, Johnson has form. A left armer is potent when on the money, but fodder if the ball isn't moving around or the natural left-arm inswing strays onto the pads.

Bruce
16th October 2007, 09:34 AM
I'd pick Johnson ahead of Bracken because he bangs it in to the deck a lot harder than Andy G.

markTHEblake
16th October 2007, 09:35 AM
Any bloke that wears a hair net to bowl really only deserves to play for the Nimbin XI

Jarro
16th October 2007, 03:34 PM
A left armer is potent when on the money, but fodder if the ball isn't moving around or the natural left-arm inswing strays onto the pads.

This is why i reckon Johnson would be great in the test side. He's been swinging the ball both ways in india on flat lifeless wickets, what the hell will he be able to do at the 'Gabba :smt023

BrisWesty
17th October 2007, 07:14 AM
And apparently we're the only racist team in the world - (feeble attempt at threadjack.)

Moe Norman
17th October 2007, 07:54 AM
Assuming everyone is fit, Lee and Clark are straight into the side.

Shaun Tait should be at the front of the queue, and if they play 4 quicks, in comes Mitch

Grunt
17th October 2007, 07:55 AM
They will play 4 quick in Brisbane & Perth, then slot in a spinner at the other tests won't they?

Moe Norman
17th October 2007, 07:57 AM
depends if we doctor the wickets.

producing greentops will be a good idea to reduce the influence of Murali, but traditionally we aren't cheating pommies.

Grunt
17th October 2007, 08:06 AM
Hopefully all the pitches will start to go back to their traditional setups. Last few years has seen some bad ones, Perth Notably. No where near as quick as it used to be.

Fishman Dan
17th October 2007, 08:11 AM
And apparently we're the only racist team in the world - (feeble attempt at threadjack.)

Symonds needs to get a thick skin. There isn't a touring team in the world who's come to Australia and not been racially taunted - and it will happen again this season.

I think he's better than that though as his scores will tell you!

Grunt
17th October 2007, 08:24 AM
Talk yesterday on the radio was that the Team had let the issue pass and the Aussie media was using it to create a bigger story. Was mentioned as the Footy season is now over they have had limited sports stories to cover. That was until yesterday arvo with Cousins!

markTHEblake
17th October 2007, 10:52 PM
Symonds has already written it off, he didnt give a crap about it.

I just wondered where the media got the idea that a dark skinned person calling a dark skinned person a monkey is racism.

AndyP
18th October 2007, 06:06 AM
Different shades of dark.

Bruce
28th October 2007, 08:18 PM
Hungry Jacques falters least to get the nod for the 1st Test. We can now close the book on Brad Hodge's test career.

Where will Hungry field? Perhaps fine leg to fine leg will make a comeback.

Grunt
28th October 2007, 08:22 PM
He is the designated Short leg fielder for NSW. He may get Jason Langers spot there too

BrisWesty
29th October 2007, 08:34 AM
Justin Langer?

Despite not being in contract, has Katich done enough to get a look in for the opener's position after hitting 306? Would the selectors be willing to revisit him?

Fishman Dan
29th October 2007, 10:02 AM
Westy - no chance, which is a real shame. He's not an opener, and Hodge looks the most likely to fill in the next spot - any spot - in the order. He's on fire too, after a crap tour he's made 2 and a Golden opening for VIC, but Ponting will find a spot for him.

3oneday
29th October 2007, 10:25 AM
He is the designated Short leg fielder for NSW. He may get Jason Langers spot there tooahhh, good ole Jason :lol: how quick we forget !

Are they allowed gloves there now ? I reckon this Jacques character could take some fielding lessons off Phil Tufnell and actually improve !!! :lol:

Bruce
29th October 2007, 11:24 AM
Westy - no chance, which is a real shame. He's not an opener, and Hodge looks the most likely to fill in the next spot - any spot - in the order. He's on fire too, after a crap tour he's made 2 and a Golden opening for VIC, but Ponting will find a spot for him.

The new Hussey (Brazen) must have jumped ahead of him by now? Hodge = NTPTCA (Never to play test cricket again)

BrisWesty
29th October 2007, 07:53 PM
Noffke seems to be doing everything right.

AndyP
29th October 2007, 08:59 PM
Noffke isn't young anymore at 30. I think his chance has passed him.

terryand
29th October 2007, 11:09 PM
Good to see the Aussies spearhead amongst the wickets :roll:

Terry.

Jarro
30th October 2007, 07:13 AM
Surely Hogg has to be our new Test spinner.

3oneday
30th October 2007, 07:26 AM
Good to see the Aussies spearhead amongst the wickets :roll: do you mean that Johnson kid ? 0/300 apparently ???

:lol:

BrisWesty
30th October 2007, 08:52 AM
do you mean that Johnson kid ? 0/300 apparently ???

He's got all those runs taken off him, that means he must be due to take about 10/0 now, to keep his average around 30. :lol:

Jarro
30th October 2007, 09:22 AM
Johnson will be there

AndyP
31st October 2007, 02:39 PM
Look no further for an allrounder for the Test side.

Here he is: http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/australia/content/player/5392.html#Profile

A nice 118 made in the Pura Cup match too. They really should be batting him higher in their order.

markTHEblake
31st October 2007, 05:22 PM
we already have Shane Watson, superstar of the future.

Jarro
31st October 2007, 05:26 PM
Dizzy is too old, he'll never get back in the side now

Jarro
1st November 2007, 02:39 PM
A 13 man squad has been announced to play the Sri-lankans in the first test next friday.

Hayden, Jacques, Ponting, Hussey, M.Clarke, Symonds, Johnson, Gilchrist, Hogg, MacGill, Lee, Clark, Tait.

PeteyD
1st November 2007, 03:40 PM
Drop MacGill Drop MacGill ...

Jarro
1st November 2007, 03:47 PM
Nah, he's a cert :roll:

Hogg will probably go and Tait will be 12th man

Bruce
1st November 2007, 04:17 PM
Hogg has some pretty decent form at the moment. No one in the world seems capable of reading his wrong'un.

Jarro
1st November 2007, 04:19 PM
I agree Bruce, i'd much rather have him in the side then MacGill.

Hogg is a much better batsman as well, whether that helps him or not i'm buggered if i know :roll:

AndyP
2nd November 2007, 03:43 PM
Noffke seems to be doing everything right.

Noffke isn't young anymore at 30. I think his chance has passed him.
Noffke has 5/36 against the Sri Lankans ATM. He is in ripping form with ball and bat.

Can he overtake Johnson and Tait this summer? Unlikely, but I hope so.

Bruce
3rd November 2007, 05:39 PM
Bugger! Tait appears to have had a reoccurence of his elbow injury and is out of contention. That settles the fast bowling selection then.

MacGill or Hogg to carry the drinks remains the only question now.

I can't wait till Thursday.

Jarro
3rd November 2007, 05:57 PM
Yeah, bummer that Tait won't be playing ... i was looking forward to seeing some good, aggressive bowling from him this test :(

AndyP
3rd November 2007, 07:41 PM
Noffke in the squad for the next test?
I know I said he was too old, but his form is impressive and I'm biased because I've played cricket with him.

AndyP
3rd November 2007, 08:08 PM
Hilfenhaus is the replacement.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/11/03/2080921.htm

Jarro
3rd November 2007, 08:12 PM
Makes sense as he was named in the original squad of 13 anyway

Moe Norman
3rd November 2007, 08:20 PM
you don't upgrade a bloke past 5 others based on 2 weeks form when another has been solid for 12 months.

Hilfenhaus had to come in, Noffke has always been a streaky bowler.

Jarro
6th November 2007, 02:16 PM
MacGill has been picked to start in the team, leaving Hogg in the cold :(

3oneday
6th November 2007, 02:24 PM
boo

dc68
6th November 2007, 02:27 PM
Freakin wine drinking toff!!

goughy
6th November 2007, 07:51 PM
So they picked the big mouth whinging spinner who can't handle when he gets tonked and can't bat, field or run - and left out the ok spinner who can do the rest mucho better and is a nice guy.

Jarro
6th November 2007, 08:23 PM
That's about it G-man.

MacGill must have some nudie pics of Hilditch with Kerry Packer or something :roll:

Grunt
6th November 2007, 08:25 PM
Sorry MacGill is away better bowler than Hogg in the longer form of the game.

3oneday
6th November 2007, 08:27 PM
He "may" have been a better bowler last year, but he said in the papers today he was chucking pies at the qldrs last week.

Whilst this may be an appealing thing for you and I :lol: it won't cause the Lankans much harm !

Jarro
6th November 2007, 08:31 PM
I don't know the stats off the top of my head but i find it very hard to imagine MacGill troubling the lankans more than Hogg :-s

Webster
8th November 2007, 08:26 AM
Anyone going today? What is the weather like?

goughy
8th November 2007, 08:40 AM
The partners at robs work are going. $350 each for their corporate box. Me thinks lots of drinking and maybe even some cricket if they are lucky!

3oneday
8th November 2007, 09:41 AM
Hope the weather is better than Sydney's, pissing down here !

dc68
8th November 2007, 11:11 AM
Covers off. Starting at 1015 we are batting.

3oneday
8th November 2007, 11:36 AM
Covers on ? one over bowled :lol:

Grunt
8th November 2007, 11:39 AM
Must have settled in they have stopped coverage and are playing the News.

dc68
8th November 2007, 11:57 AM
Hosing down :(

3oneday
8th November 2007, 11:58 AM
10:51 local, 00:51 GMT The rains not let up, and the covers are still on. Yawn.

PeteyD
8th November 2007, 12:54 PM
that french guy is hopeless, get rid of him.

Webster
8th November 2007, 01:04 PM
that french guy is hopeless, get rid of him.

I agree - Jacques looks "all at sea"

Jarro
8th November 2007, 01:42 PM
Weather seems to have cleared up somewhat ... lets hope they start on time after lunch.

Grunt
8th November 2007, 01:44 PM
Sri Lankan Bowlers are starting to have a bit of Trouble with Hayden. Jaques will come good, I reckon nerves are getting to him. He looks to be making sure he does not get out rather than score runs.

3oneday
8th November 2007, 03:46 PM
Is Fernando bowling as bad as it reads ?

Grunt
8th November 2007, 03:48 PM
Sure is Pete.

Bruce
8th November 2007, 08:18 PM
Another visiting captain sees green on a Gabba wicket and thinks it means he needs to send the Aussies in. Surely no one will repeat this mistake now.

Not quite as brutal as previous starts but still a fairly good 3.5 runs an over for the day and only 3 wickets lost.

Do you Queenslander's ever wish you got a more interesting test match? They have been shockingly one-sided for a decade.

Moe Norman
8th November 2007, 08:30 PM
if they had actually picked their most dangerous quick, it wouldn't have looked like such a silly decision.

Jarro
8th November 2007, 08:42 PM
But it was still a stupid decision all the same ... especially when they knew they weren't going to have Malinga in their side for this match :roll:

Hayden and jaques made them look very ordianry very early on in the piece

AndyP
9th November 2007, 10:46 PM
Anyone going today? What is the weather like?
I went on the first day, it was a relief to get plenty of cricket in.

Hosing down :(
It was never that heavy. And at the ground we were pretty confident that the rain was only temporary.

Is Fernando bowling as bad as it reads ?
He was pretty shyte. In fact the only really good "bowler" was Vaas. If he was younger, I'm sure they'd get plenty more overs out of him. Maharoofisonfire's figures looked tidy, but I can't recall many ooo's or aaaahh's from him beating the bat.
The other guy just kept chucking it, and the no ball call from the stands was never far away.

Bruce
10th November 2007, 10:20 AM
I am such a nerd.

7 of the last 8 visiting captains who have won the toss at the Gabba have sent the Aussies in. Only the Kiwis in 2004 chose to bat.

Not that this really matters. Since 88/89 Australia average 442 batting first, and 463 batting second. Putting them in seems stupid, but the alternative isn't much better...

Jo.
10th November 2007, 10:34 AM
But it was still a stupid decision all the same ... especially when they knew they weren't going to have Malinga in their side for this match :roll:

Hayden and jaques made them look very ordianry very early on in the piece

I still can't figure out why Malinga isn't playing:(

BrisWesty
10th November 2007, 12:50 PM
When is Johnson going to take the coat hanger out of the back of his shirt? Just something about his run up seems very stiff, but the ball obviously comes out OK, because he's been up around 150km/h

Jarro
10th November 2007, 01:09 PM
He does look rather "fragile" ;)

But then again, Lee isn't the biggest bloke in the world either ..... yet still manages to generate great pace.

Johnson will go ok with his current technique, i think DK Lillee has had a bit to do with him and has given him the thumbs up .... and who are we to argue with him ;)

Looks like MacGill isn't having the test he'd like so far ... being upstaged by Clark in the battle of the spinners.

Moe Norman
10th November 2007, 01:44 PM
I am such a nerd.

7 of the last 8 visiting captains who have won the toss at the Gabba have sent the Aussies in. Only the Kiwis in 2004 chose to bat.

Not that this really matters. Since 88/89 Australia average 442 batting first, and 463 batting second. Putting them in seems stupid, but the alternative isn't much better...we haven't lost there in about 20 years batting first or second.

It wasn't such a bad call in this game, even with the mind boggling decision to leave out Malinga, if they'd held their chances on day 1 we would have been 4 down at a minimum for not much over 200.

The decision to give Jayasuriya out was quite poor, and really puts a side on the back foot - he didn't get near it.

Jarro
10th November 2007, 01:57 PM
The decision to give Jayasuriya out was quite poor, and really puts a side on the back foot - he didn't get near it.

Surely we must be getting close to the stage whereby the umpires can call for a video ref to make 100% sure that the batsman is out in circumstances like that :?

3oneday
10th November 2007, 04:12 PM
yes, bad start to the summer that call :p

Grunt
10th November 2007, 04:30 PM
Brett Lee not bowling too badly so far this test. Just bowled the almost perfect yorker to get the 9th Wicket, Sri lanka are in deep ka ka now.

Jarro
10th November 2007, 05:56 PM
Symonds bowled rather well too i thought ;)

Moe Norman
10th November 2007, 06:40 PM
Brett Lee not bowling too badly so far this test. Just bowled the almost perfect yorker to get the 9th Wicket, Sri lanka are in deep ka ka now.sums up his career really.

Gets an opener that doesn't get anywhere near a wide pie, then cleans up the bloke batting at #10 and probably did the chainsaw!

Bruce
10th November 2007, 07:13 PM
It was worse than the chainsaw - it will be all over the replays for the rest of the year now so I won't spoil it for you. Truly horrendous.

His second wicket was OK. After the 9th he started trying to knock Murali's block off while he ran out to square leg. Punter started gesturing for him to cut that shit out and bowl properly. It's amazing how badly a bunny plays a back of a length ball - 90 tests and he still hasn't learned a thing.

Then Jayasuriya takes to him and again he starts sending down half volleys, long hops and other junk. I'm hoping Clark continues his progress and takes the #1 bowlers slot off him.

Fishman Dan
10th November 2007, 07:59 PM
sums up his career really.

Gets an opener that doesn't get anywhere near a wide pie, then cleans up the bloke batting at #10 and probably did the chainsaw!

4/26 off 17.5 overs and your panning him, including the first 2 wickets with absolute corkers.

Best spell of fast bowling this year in any game. He can do whatever he likes.

Then Jayasuriya takes to him and again he starts sending down half volleys, long hops and other junk. I'm hoping Clark continues his progress and takes the #1 bowlers slot off him.

When you're 350 runs ahead on the first innings (largely due to Lee) late on the 3rd day, then you can afford to pitch a few up and look for the edge. I thought you preferred test cricket Bruce? If anything it was a great session of cricket, with a shotmaker like Jayasuriya willing to take him on.

Jarro
10th November 2007, 09:51 PM
Yep, that leap of his is the gayest thing since the 7 wood.

PeteyD
10th November 2007, 09:55 PM
Hey

Moe Norman
11th November 2007, 08:19 AM
4/26 off 17.5 overs and your panning him, including the first 2 wickets with absolute corkers.

Best spell of fast bowling this year in any game. He can do whatever he likes.

if you think a wide nothing ball that Sanath flashes at (and clearly misses) is a corker, you're watching a different game to me.

kpac
11th November 2007, 08:32 AM
totally agree, he's a disgrace, and it'll come to an end for him dont worry, time will find him wanting. He had a place in the team back when he first started, when he was bowling dangerous fast, i remeber seeing him early at the waca, was very good to watch. These days he tries to bowl fast but really generates little danger or accuracy, and when he get hit theres a quick bowling change because punter knows he cant respond to it. Taking lower order wickets is one thing he does pretty well.....

Moe Norman
11th November 2007, 09:15 AM
actually, I thought Johnson looked a bit average as well. Magill and Clark were clearly our superior two bowlers.

A pace attack of Clark, Tait and Hilfenhaus excites me. Clark is the accurate seamer who can remove world class batsman on flat decks. Tait the genuine quick and Hilfenhaus the classy swing bowler.

Come Ashes 09, throw in Bryce McGain and we have a lovely attack - (shame he is 35!)

Fishman Dan
11th November 2007, 09:38 AM
Lee's first innings effort was sensational. What a shame he actually managed to take lower order wickets :roll: Agree that if he rips the chainsaw with figures of 1/100 get all over him, but 4/26 off 18 overs is sublime.

Agree with Moe - MacGill bowled very well and without luck. And before people say "he went for more than 3 per over", that's the way he is. It's a lot easier to take wickets if they are playing shots.

Kpac - you demonstrate how little you know about the game. Lee will be around until he breaks down again or retires. He's 32 (?) now - you're right, then end will come for him before we know it. Well done Nostradamus :roll:

Note - bowling at Murali's head should be adopted by more bowlers around the world.

Moe Norman
11th November 2007, 10:23 AM
Fishy - he could be gone within 2 years. Thats his one good set of figures to rest his hat on for the next 18 months, so he's got at least that long. But Tait appeals to me more as a genuine wicket taking speedster (Lee could never remove Punter on a flat track like Tait did a week ago with an absolute ripsnorter out of nowhere) and Clark is clearly Australia's #1 quick with daylight second.

If Hilfenhaus continues his rise and keeps improving, bye bye Brett Lee.

kpac
11th November 2007, 10:46 AM
The sadest end would be if he genuinely breaks down and therefore gets recognised as a quality quick, when realistically over the few year he has left he'll prove himself to be a erratic child that cannot bowl at an opposition that gets on top of him.

As for not knowing about the game FD, someone that knows anything about the game would realise that lee's a weak no 1 bowler.

terryand
11th November 2007, 11:07 AM
Don't worry Kpac, you just have to realize where Fishy is coming from.

He'd be one of the only males in Oz over 30 that has posters of Lee up on his bedroom wall :-s

The only other male over 30 would probably be Lee himself :shock: ;)

Terry.

markTHEblake
11th November 2007, 01:53 PM
and probably did the chainsaw!

if its anything like they behaved when thrashing the likes of Bangladesh and Zimbabwe they should all be embarrased.

Thats almost as ridiculous as hitting sixes off little schoolkids and being proud of the effort.

Its one thing to have to be competitive, but there is no glory in smashing a weak opponent.

Fishman Dan
11th November 2007, 06:26 PM
Don't worry Kpac, you just have to realize where Fishy is coming from.

He'd be one of the only males in Oz over 30 that has posters of Lee up on his bedroom wall :-s

No Tez. I don't like it when someone does something well and gets panned for it.... (without proof of course ;))

Ripper of a ball from MacGill for his 200th.

As for not knowing about the game FD, someone that knows anything about the game would realise that lee's a weak no 1 bowler.

You keep saying that Kpac, but a strong first innings performance on the back of decent tour form, I'd say he's a pretty strong bowler. Remeber - McGrath has retired. We will be clutching at straws for many years looking for our next 200 wicket pace bowlers. At least we have 1 at the moment.

Moe Norman
11th November 2007, 08:09 PM
You keep saying that Kpac, but a strong first innings performance on the back of decent tour form, I'd say he's a pretty strong bowler. Remeber - McGrath has retired. We will be clutching at straws for many years looking for our next 200 wicket pace bowlers. At least we have 1 at the moment.
The only bloke calling Lee our number 1 bowler is Lee. Clark is our best pace bowler by a significant margin.

He has 50 wickets from 10 tests, he'll be racking up his 200th some time in 2009 given the amount of cricket we have coming up.

The fact that Lee already has 200 and will end up with more than Jason Gillespie is disappointing to say the least, given Lee isn't fit to tie Gillespie's bootlaces.

just
11th November 2007, 08:45 PM
The fact that Lee already has 200 and will end up with more than Jason Gillespie is disappointing to say the least, given Lee isn't fit to tie Gillespie's bootlaces.

Hear, hear!

Lee is a one trick pony whose trick is wearing thin!

Fishman Dan
11th November 2007, 09:19 PM
The only bloke calling Lee our number 1 bowler is Lee. Clark is our best pace bowler by a significant margin.

I don't disagree with that, but Clark fell into the 11 as the last man picked. He took 100 wickets in a tour of Sth Africa and was dropped. Unfortunately he is the 3rd fast bowler to be named, test after test.

The thing is, the selectors see Lee take wickets, they don't see him do "the chainsaw" ;)

Moe Norman
11th November 2007, 09:29 PM
i see a 30+ average and two 5 wicket hauls in a 50+ test career.

with Clark I see an 18 average, with four 5 wicket hauls in 10 tests.

markTHEblake
11th November 2007, 09:57 PM
Unfortunately he is the 3rd fast bowler to be named, test after test.

How do you know that? They dont select the names on live telly one at a time like lotto numbers.

Fishman Dan
11th November 2007, 10:36 PM
Don't like it - suggest something new! (http://youtube.com/watch?v=5n97H9bn0Hg)

markTHEblake
11th November 2007, 11:17 PM

Nothing beats Lillee - true gentleman. Poor batsman running up and down the wickets all day, very easy to get disorientated and lose sense of direction. He was just helping em.

http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/2433/lillee2bc7.jpg

(the pic is not the right one, but i know you got the idea)

Jarro
12th November 2007, 06:06 AM

How about he just walks down the other end to Gilly and Punter and gives them a pat on the bum and doesn't do anything else :roll:

Fishman Dan
12th November 2007, 08:14 AM
Nothing beats Lillee - true gentleman. Poor batsman running up and down the wickets all day, very easy to get disorientated and lose sense of direction. He was just helping em.

http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/2433/lillee2bc7.jpg

(the pic is not the right one, but i know you got the idea)

Pay Symcox was much better at "the send off" - until the ICC stepped in and ruled it 'unsportsmanlike' :roll:

3oneday
12th November 2007, 08:47 AM
How about he just walks down the other end to Gilly and Punter and gives them a pat on the bum and doesn't do anything else :roll:I think the Merv tonguey was better than a pat on the arse 8)

Moe Norman
12th November 2007, 08:49 AM
I don't mind a bit of a celebration if you dismiss a class batsman who is in great nick with a rip snorter of a delivery.

If you send down a pie that barely gets inside the popping crease and a 38 year old opener chases it and misses it by a foot and is given out my some bloke from the blind society, perhaps the dorothy the dinorsaur celebration isn't required....

markTHEblake
12th November 2007, 10:54 AM
rain heading your way chaps, might not see Brett Lee get another 5 wicket haul today.

AndyP
12th November 2007, 10:58 AM
6 down now. 4 to go.
It looks to be a race against the rain.

And Jaques has dropped a catch. :roll:

3oneday
12th November 2007, 11:24 AM
And Jaques has dropped a catch. :roll:he's a quality fieldsman isn't he ! Bit hard to hide him and MacGill in the one team !

Grunt
12th November 2007, 11:40 AM
Will the rain save the Sri Lankans? Looks heavy right now.

Fishman Dan
12th November 2007, 11:48 AM
Are there any spare undercover seats?

AndyP
12th November 2007, 11:50 AM
http://mirror.bom.gov.au/products/IDR663.loop.shtml?looping=1&reloaded=0&topography=true&locations=true&range=true#skip

Looks like there is definitely some cricket left today.

3oneday
12th November 2007, 12:00 PM
Stoopid qld weather :p

AndyP
12th November 2007, 12:23 PM
FFS.

On a lighter note, Brett Lee recently agreed to a deal that could see him become Australia's biggest recording artist. After recording the chart-topping "You're The One For Me" in India last year, Lee has been asked to produce and perform the theme song for the next cricket World Cup, which will be held on the subcontinent in 2011.

Moe Norman
12th November 2007, 01:21 PM
6 down now. 4 to go.
It looks to be a race against the rain.

And Jaques has dropped a catch. :roll:funnily enough he dropped it off Clarks bowling....

markTHEblake
12th November 2007, 01:34 PM
Why would they go to Lunch with Murali coming in. He bats like a bloke who needs to get to a Tab to put a bet on.

Credit to the Srilankans for getting about 300 in a 3rd innings, not easy to do against a class opposition. Hopefully they can give a better fight in the next one.

Grunt
12th November 2007, 01:36 PM
Going to be a quick afternoon session

Grunt
12th November 2007, 01:46 PM
Who do you all think will get Man of the Match?

Grunt
12th November 2007, 01:47 PM
Michael Clark for mine, but Lee maybe an outsider. Nine commentators have been talking him up all match.

3oneday
12th November 2007, 02:04 PM
but Lee maybe an outsiderWho picks M.O.M ? anyway, I'd be shocked if Lee got it. Hussey for mine.

So, I wonder if Clark said to Lee "see that Binga, now that's how you bowl to a tailender mate, on the ****in stumps, ffs !"

ridiculous over he bowled at Muruli :p

Oh, and Lee has never gotten more than 8 wickets in a match before ! redefines the saying "strike bowler" ;)

AndyP
12th November 2007, 02:06 PM
Why would they go to Lunch with Murali coming in. He bats like a bloke who needs to get to a Tab to put a bet on.It was frustrating on the first day too, after limited play. They are able to move tea, but not lunch. I can only assume that this is because of catering purposes for all the boxes, functions, etc.

3oneday
12th November 2007, 02:07 PM
Well, I'm officially :shock:ed

Fishman Dan
12th November 2007, 03:02 PM
Didn't Lee hit the stumps twice this innings? :lol:

(Haven't seen anything, purely working off a scorecard here!).

Bruce
12th November 2007, 03:24 PM
Lee bowled well today. Good control in good areas.

3oneday
12th November 2007, 03:29 PM
Lee bowled well today. Good control in good areas.until Murali walked out :lol:

I can't see how 8 wickets in the context of the match was more important than a Clarke, Hussey or even Can'tFields innings ? Any of you gurus care to enlighten me ?

:)

Fishman Dan
12th November 2007, 03:40 PM
He's marketable! :p

3oneday
12th November 2007, 03:44 PM
He's marketable! :p
Clarke & Hussey play "back Yard Cricket" whereas Lee eats Bix and sings poorly in Indian, oh and now he dances around with that guy from Everton ?

Anyway, yesterdays fish and chip wrappers now :)

Moe Norman
12th November 2007, 04:26 PM
until Murali walked out :lol:

I can't see how 8 wickets in the context of the match was more important than a Clarke, Hussey or even Can'tFields innings ? Any of you gurus care to enlighten me ?

:)
blokes make centuries all the time, 8 wicket hauls are far less regular.

Only a batsman would think a century is more important.

As an example Steve Waugh made 32 tons in 168 tests and Border made 27 in 156, while Warne took 10 wickets in a match only 10 times in 145 tests and McGrath took 10 in a match 3 times in 124 tests (and only won man of the match in 1 of those 3!)

When you take it down to 8, Warne took 8 or better 28 times and McGrath 17 times.

So essentially, taking 8 or more wickets in a match is much harder and less frequent than some bloke scoring a ton on a flat track :smt023

Grunt
12th November 2007, 04:36 PM
blokes make centuries all the time, 8 wicket hauls are far less regular.

Only a batsman would think a century is more important.

As an example Steve Waugh made 32 tons in 168 tests and Border made 27 in 156, while Warne took 10 wickets in a match only 10 times in 145 tests and McGrath took 10 in a match 3 times in 124 tests (and only won man of the match in 1 of those 3!)

When you take it down to 8, Warne took 8 or better 28 times and McGrath 17 times.

So essentially, taking 8 or more wickets in a match is much harder and less frequent than some bloke scoring a ton on a flat track :smt023

Was that you actually saying Lee deserved it today Moe?

Moe Norman
12th November 2007, 05:21 PM
On Raw stats he was always going to get the MOM, but I don't think he was particularly great.

Then again, all the blokes that made a ton were put down before they had 50, so its neither here nor there.

8 for 114 match figures generally deserves a MOM award, even if the bloke getting the figures is an overrated hack who has been given too many excuses in a near 10 year career with very few highlights.

Jarro
12th November 2007, 05:46 PM
I thought Johnson didn't do too bad either playing in his first home test match.

Figures of 4/96 off 37 overs isn't too shabby :)

Fishman Dan
12th November 2007, 05:57 PM
8 for 114 match figures generally deserves a MOM award, even if the bloke getting the figures is an overrated hack who has been given too many excuses in a near 10 year career with very few highlights.

I think that's a YES Grunt ;) :lol:

3oneday
12th November 2007, 07:41 PM
Thanks, I was wondering when the gurus would answer :)

I would have taken it off him for the over I saw him bowl to Murali, he's meant to be the spearhead, not the ****head :lol:

terryand
12th November 2007, 07:57 PM
I think Ponting summed it up pretty well. " If he (Lee) can keep up performances like that I will be happy" :-s

Terry.

McCoy
12th November 2007, 08:11 PM

You're on fire Moe. And I was interested in your Warne/McGrath stats, if you asked me who the best cricketer of the last 15 years was I would say McGrath. But from the stats you provide you could make a good case for Warne.

As a "purist" I'm worried about the state of test cricket. Australia are so much better than any other nation it's not interesting. The only decent test series we've seen in Australia recently was when the pitches were doctored to suit Dravid, Tendulkar and Laxman.
No other country seems interested in tests either. I caught some Foxtel on the weekend with the SA/NZ test and it was awful, Shane Bond aside the Kiwis were shithouse. If the dreadful Aussie sides of the Hughes/early Border era were playing now I reckon they'd be bloody competitive.

Moe Norman
12th November 2007, 08:39 PM
You're on fire Moe. And I was interested in your Warne/McGrath stats, if you asked me who the best cricketer of the last 15 years was I would say McGrath. But from the stats you provide you could make a good case for Warne.

As a "purist" I'm worried about the state of test cricket. Australia are so much better than any other nation it's not interesting. The only decent test series we've seen in Australia recently was when the pitches were doctored to suit Dravid, Tendulkar and Laxman.
No other country seems interested in tests either. I caught some Foxtel on the weekend with the SA/NZ test and it was awful, Shane Bond aside the Kiwis were shithouse. If the dreadful Aussie sides of the Hughes/early Border era were playing now I reckon they'd be bloody competitive.

You could make a case for either Warne or McGrath, but most would say Warney. Not because of the stats I listed though.

Warne bowled 40,000 odd deliveries to McGrath's 30,000. Further McGrath was rarely a bloke who cleaned up the tail, that was usually left to Warney and whatever 3rd string pace bowler they had at the time who needed a confidence boost (Lee made a career out of it). McGrath's effectiveness at removing top order batsman is extraordinary compared to most quicks in the last 30 years. Only Ambrose, Gillespie and Marshall are in the same league.

All 4 of these blokes had over 65% of their CAREER test wickets being batsmen in the Top 6. Warne and Murali are below 60% and at the other end of the spectrum, 31% of Brett Lee's career wickets have been batsmen in the Top 6.

Speaking of the SA vs NZ game, Bond tore a stomach muscle and has gone home. It's a great shame this bloek hasn't been able to stay on the park, he's an absolute gun. one of the best opposition quicks I've seen in Australia in 10 years, perhaps even the best.

Fishman Dan
12th November 2007, 09:49 PM
Gillespie?!

For me, the defining moment for Brett Lee was against the South Africans 2 years ago in Melbourne. He nailed Kallis right on the national emblem with the quickest, most accurate bouncer he's produced. Kallis was stunned. The next ball was full and sent middle stump cartwheeling towards Gilly. A paceman's 3-card trick. Kallis is no rabbit and made him look utterly pedestrian. No other bowler can do that. Tait possibly, but not yet (and not from the grandstand!).

The only other bowler (Bond aside) who is capable of that would be Malinga. Shame he didn't get a run, it would be good to see what he can do on our bouncy pitches.

Moe Norman
12th November 2007, 10:52 PM
Gillespie had two lives as a test player.

He came into the side in 96 when he was 21, pushed off the sight screen and was super super quick. Destroyed a solid South African side at Port Elizabeth with short sharp spells in about his 3rd test, then ripped the Poms apart with one of the best spells I've ever seen in the 97 Ashes with 7 for 30 odd on a flat track.

Not long after these fireworks he was injured. He came back in about 2000 bowling off about 10 steps with an ability to zip it both ways. Bowled long accurate spells and was unplayable with the new ball. He moved it so far there wasn't a batsman on the planet good enough to nick him.

His 260 wickets at about 25 vs Lee's 240 at 30+ tell the story. Dig deeper and you see that 172 of Gillespies 260 wickets were Top 6 batsman, while a mere 79 of Lee's 239 have been Top 6 batsman. Effectively making almost 70% of his wickets tailenders!

Oh and Dizzy has a test double ton too!

On the right pitch Lee can be very good, but he has no plan B.

Edit: Fishy, if Harmison and Tait can both do it to Punter then there is not much doubt they can do it to Kallis.

regarding Gillespie, this sums him up nicely on cricinfo

Through it all, in partnership with Glenn McGrath, he blossomed into one half of Australia's most statistically successful opening pair ever. But if McGrath's strength was his ability to make the ball do just enough, then Gillespie's flaw is his tendency for it to do too much. No other contemporary fast man has elicited so many plays-and-misses.

Fishman Dan
13th November 2007, 07:56 AM
Thanks Mr Wisden!

3oneday
13th November 2007, 08:06 AM
Righto, next test please ;)

terryand
13th November 2007, 09:55 AM
Thanks Mr Wisden!

I think you finally stumped him Moe :smt038

Terry.

dc68
13th November 2007, 10:15 AM
Geez Moe get better soon... I have had enough stats already.

Moe Norman
13th November 2007, 03:24 PM
back at home mate.

don't you just love the Lee stats in regards to tailenders, a 'strike' bowler indeed!

dc68
13th November 2007, 03:32 PM
I am over stats as they mean different thing to different people... a la peanuts from the other place. You remember that little spat we had.

Moe Norman
13th November 2007, 03:34 PM
agree, but its difficult to argue with an 'opening bowler' having the damning statistic of only 30% of his wickets being recognised batsman.

The figure actually surprises me a little, as usually he appears to be trying to kill tailenders, not get them out.

3oneday
13th November 2007, 03:36 PM
He does appear to have a better strike rate against top order batsmen in one dayers...

Sorry :oops:, had a Wisden ;)

kpac
13th November 2007, 03:40 PM
moe, what's his % of openers, because one thing he has done sucessfully is get an early wicket, it's when he hasn't got a wicket for 5 overs that he looses the variety and ability to produce i think.

3oneday
13th November 2007, 03:55 PM
I don't know what is more boring..the actual test match itself or the long winded post mortems.so why watch either ;)

wanker

Moe Norman
13th November 2007, 04:15 PM
moe, what's his % of openers, because one thing he has done sucessfully is get an early wicket, it's when he hasn't got a wicket for 5 overs that he looses the variety and ability to produce i think.

dunno mate, got those stats of someone else - couldn't work out how to find them on the cricinfo site.

But I reckon it would be average, because he has really only got the new ball since the 2005 Ashes. Prior to that he was always a first change bowler behind Dizzy and McGrath.

Given the quality of world opening batsman at the moment, I'd expect him to improve in the coming year though!

Will be interesting to see how he deals with Sehwag, if he is selected.

Bruce
16th November 2007, 10:30 AM
A lot of Murali apologists use the "everyone chucks a bit" argument.

To this load of bollocks I counter with:
The World's Fastest bowler from 1979 (http://youtube.com/watch?v=bPDW7hj1yfs)

Watch the super slow-mo of the actions and tell me these past champions are anywhere near the travesty of Murali.

3oneday
16th November 2007, 10:50 AM
Been done to death, there will always be a cloud over the record but it won't be changed now sadly. Too many people with too much to lose if he is found a chucker after all these years.

Pinglauncher
16th November 2007, 02:45 PM
Another century to Jaques :smt038

Fishman Dan
16th November 2007, 02:47 PM
Listening to it now, sounds like he's doing it pretty easily against some largely ordinary bowling.

McCoy
16th November 2007, 03:18 PM
I thought Murali's dismissal of Ponting was a piece of superb bowling. Gave him a few turning off breaks, then threw up the doosra and sucked Ponting in beautifully.

I've read a few times that if he had of been Australian Murali's "diabolical action" would never have gotten this far without being corrected. So to those people who've never produced a great Australian off spinner and the coaches that produced the gun barrel straight antics of Shane Watson - thanks a lot :roll:

Jarro
16th November 2007, 07:23 PM
Hussey doesn't appear to have suffered much from a long layoff.

Precision strokeplay and placement from Mr. Cricket today 8)

OMG
18th November 2007, 09:18 AM
It's always going to be difficult for a bowler taking over from one of the best the game has seen. If Lee had come in when Billy was at the helm he wouldn't cop half the flak he has. He is certainly a worldclass bowler, maybe not in the class of McGrath, but he deserves his spot.

AndyP
20th November 2007, 07:12 AM
I'm not sure if I should have started a new thread for this or not :roll:, but how hot is Noffke's form at the moment. 6/33 and an 82 with the bat in the first innings against Vic, continuing on from his other great games this season.

3oneday
20th November 2007, 08:06 AM
I think SriLanka are a chance, unless Clarke gets a hatful ;)

AndyP
20th November 2007, 11:00 AM
How about now? 3 more down.
They bring the tiniest bit of life back into the series, and then snuff it out in half an hour.

3oneday
20th November 2007, 11:08 AM
How about now? 3 more down.is this in the right thread ?

AndyP
20th November 2007, 11:15 AM
Is there another thread? It must be on ignore.

And it's 8 down now. I can't believe I'm even bothering to take notice.

3oneday
20th November 2007, 11:19 AM
What time did this start ? be over pretty quickly it seems, unless Lee comes on to bowl at Murali :lol:

Jarro
20th November 2007, 11:22 AM
Is MacGill even 100% fit ??

He really looks to be struggling out there ..... bowling absolute crap :roll:

AndyP
20th November 2007, 11:36 AM
10:30a start your time, Pete. It will be lucky to see out the first session. Sangakkara is the only one resisting.

3oneday
20th November 2007, 11:48 AM
Kiss of death here, but Sangakarra is looking a moral for a double ton.

Jarro
20th November 2007, 12:11 PM
He's looking the goods.

However, if Malinga goes, the end is only another ball away ;)

Go Johnson !!!!

3oneday
20th November 2007, 12:14 PM
Go Johnson !!!!:lol: yep, taken off as deserved :)

AndyP
20th November 2007, 12:19 PM
The end is near. Sanga gorna.

markTHEblake
20th November 2007, 12:23 PM
If the fielding team can appeal for the batsmen to be out, then the batsmen should be able to appeal for a not out. Sangakarra's wicket is a perfect example.

Cant be too many people that didnt want to seem him get his 200, cricket is not see entertaining anymore, so we were robbed.

Jarro
:lol: yep, taken off as deserved :)

Obviously, it's Lee's job to clean up the tail isn't it :roll:

:p

3oneday
Wonder why they employ such old men as umpires ?

3oneday
20th November 2007, 12:28 PM
Brett bowling bouncers at the tailenders again ? :lol:

Jarro
20th November 2007, 12:31 PM
Clark getting tonked :shock:

3oneday
20th November 2007, 12:32 PM
So, do we still have the attack to survive without McGrath and Warne ? Maybe the loss of Roy hurt us ?

Jarro
20th November 2007, 12:36 PM
I'd have played Hogg instead on MacGill ... he's obviously not 100% fit.

Clark/Lee/Johnson are a good combo, but we are blessed to have handy "reserves" as Tait, Hilfenhaus and Co.

I think we'll be right for a while.

markTHEblake
20th November 2007, 12:38 PM
So, do we still have the attack to survive without McGrath and Warne ? Maybe the loss of Roy hurt us ?

nah we are fine, anyone can score 390+ in a 4th innings.

BrisWesty
20th November 2007, 12:51 PM
Nah, Boss. He's already got the nice white suit. Just needs to replace the 10 gallon hat with a baggy green.

scarfie1
20th November 2007, 12:54 PM
Roedy Kurtsen should be sacked, Kumar missed that ball by about a foot. I've always thought he's a useless umpire.

OMG
20th November 2007, 02:16 PM
Lee got the last wicket...hit for six the ball before, but he did set it up nicely I thought!

Grunt
21st November 2007, 04:33 PM
Gee the QLDers went well against the Vics today. Got done by over 200 runs.

AndyP
21st November 2007, 04:34 PM
Gee the QLDers went well against the Vics today. Got done by over 200 runs.
A tribute to the Bulls: http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8452

Jarro
21st November 2007, 04:35 PM
Lap it up :roll:

goughy
21st November 2007, 07:26 PM
Considering they took first innings points, that's disgraceful.

Fishman Dan
21st November 2007, 07:30 PM
Boof playing his last innings as we speak.

Grunt
21st November 2007, 07:31 PM
Hows he going? He needs heaps the Warriors got plenty didn't they.

AndyP
21st November 2007, 07:32 PM
Doesn't he have the 4 dayer coming up, or did he just play that?

Moe Norman
21st November 2007, 08:43 PM
to be fair to the bulls, half their side was injured on Day 2!

BrisWesty
21st November 2007, 09:03 PM
Watson must be contagious!

Moe Norman
21st November 2007, 09:10 PM
he managed not to get injured, which is understandalble given he faced 8 balls and scored 0 runs.

Fishman Dan
21st November 2007, 09:12 PM
Hows he going? He needs heaps the Warriors got plenty didn't they.

Need 30 of about 35 balls. Boof and Elliot put on over 200. Both of them have tons. Glorious knock.

Grunt
29th November 2007, 10:03 AM
Aussies are starting to break down

http://foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22840664-23212,00.html

Bruce
29th November 2007, 03:41 PM
Holy shit! According to that article the Aussies play 21 tests in 2008!

Edit - looking at the fixture on crocinfo I think it is only 18 - but jaysus that is a lot of cricket to get through.
I think we might get to see some new faces on the team just through wear and tear.

Jarro
11th December 2007, 04:49 PM
So ....

..there's a 20/20 game on tonight .....

.. Aussies Vs Kiwis .......

.... anyone gonna watch it ?

3oneday
11th December 2007, 05:12 PM
What time ? Will I be home ? Is it live ? Is there beer in the fridge ? Will my daughter not throw up so I have to clean the sheets ? (well, hold her whilst the wife cleans the sheets ;))

I'll be watching :)

Jarro
11th December 2007, 05:14 PM
Starts at 7pm i believe ..... perfect timing, dinner will be done, kids belted and ready to quiet down for the evening .... missus will be watching some girlie crap on the other telly

8)

Grunt
11th December 2007, 06:51 PM
8pm here in Syd, not sure if I will last the whole game early start tomorrow.

Jarro
11th December 2007, 08:00 PM
Only goes for 3 hours Grant :roll:

Grunt
11th December 2007, 08:17 PM
Up at 4:30am for a 12 hour shift, finishing at 6pm. By the time I get home it is 7 and that is a long day.

Jarro
11th December 2007, 08:32 PM
It is if you actually do any work

:p

Jarro
11th December 2007, 09:21 PM
How the hell was Symonds not given out caught ???

goughy
11th December 2007, 09:42 PM
Was that the one they were just talking about. I heard them saying something about having control while still in the field of play, and that some kiwi guy just admitted that it wasn't out!

goughy
11th December 2007, 09:45 PM
Reasonably good start to the aussie fielding!

Jarro
11th December 2007, 09:47 PM
Great start for the Aussies :mrgreen:

Yeah Goughy, the fielder thought he was going to go over the boundary line .... so he released the ball.

Not out.

damoocow
11th December 2007, 10:54 PM
Very poor effort by the Kiwi's against Australia's medium pace attack....can't recall when I have seen more advertising on uniforms and what a uniform the Aussie's wear !- would be right at home at a Mardi Gras parade - ho hum another dull summer of cricket approaches.........

damoocow

goughy
11th December 2007, 11:58 PM
Can't the channel 10 news like watch the coverage on channel 9 to keep up to date? Sports tonight just announced the kiwis as 8 for!!!!! Game finished an hour ago...

AndyP
12th December 2007, 07:14 AM
That's because it's filmed in Sydney, goughy, and we get it an hour after. And you say I'm slow.....

Shit game that was over just a few overs into the Kiwi innings. That's meant to be entertaining?

3oneday
12th December 2007, 07:33 AM
Very poor effort by the Kiwi's against Australia's medium pace attack....can't recall when I have seen more advertising on uniforms and what a uniform the Aussie's wear Yep, Tait and Lee were terribly slow :roll:. Lucky the Kiwis were wearing black, anything else would have shown the brown stains !

Another Summer of repetition coming I see :roll:

Shit game that was over just a few overs into the Kiwi innings. That's meant to be entertaining?The game is here to stay, but keep whining, eventually you'll probably be a lone voice ;)

Jarro
12th December 2007, 08:03 AM
Shit game that was over just a few overs into the Kiwi innings. That's meant to be entertaining?

Sold out crowd, no doubt a very healthy TV audience, so i'd expect that the game is on the rise for sure.

I thought it was a pretty entertaining match actually... plenty of big hitting and fast bowling, along with the odd classic catch or two ...

.. it looked like a fun night out 8-)

markTHEblake
12th December 2007, 08:07 AM
Another Summer of repetition coming I see :roll:

a repeat of the Kiwis effort from last year would be great.

Jarro
12th December 2007, 08:10 AM
The Kiwis are missing their best (and one of the best in the world) bowler in Bond.

Without him, they don't stand much of a chance.

markTHEblake
12th December 2007, 08:28 AM
The Kiwis are missing their best (and one of the best in the world) bowler in Bond.

Without him, they don't stand much of a chance.

last year it wasnt their bowlers that won them the series it was the batting. They chased 300+ three times in a row and got it - remember :-)
(and two of them records)

I didnt see the game last night, but that Josh Oram has gotta be one of the biggest hitters ever.

Jarro
12th December 2007, 08:37 AM
Are you a kiwi Blake ?

markTHEblake
12th December 2007, 08:45 AM
No - worse, i am a victorian.

Cricket is boring because Australia have been winning so easily for so long. Its great to see someone stick it up them like last year.

Jarro
12th December 2007, 08:51 AM
You and MooCow must be brothers :roll:

markTHEblake
12th December 2007, 09:01 AM
Well put it this way. Winning 8/7 is great, but winning on the 21st is way more exciting.

Fishman Dan
12th December 2007, 03:43 PM
QLD 5/52 in the 19th over.

Watson out for another swashbuckling 2.

Surely NSW's first win in 13 starts?!

3oneday
12th December 2007, 03:56 PM
Nice Kiss

Fishman Dan
12th December 2007, 03:57 PM
I didn't mention anything about a bonus point win ;)

peter_rs
12th December 2007, 04:13 PM
Could be a wash out.

3oneday
12th December 2007, 04:15 PM
Well there you go ! :lol:

Fishman Dan
12th December 2007, 05:10 PM
Here we go, they're heading off. Umpire Reiffel pulls the stumps out and the groundsmen come out to place the covers on. Looks like some heavy rain. Match State: Delay - rain has stopped play.

Oops!

peter_rs
12th December 2007, 05:13 PM
rain only last 30mins but they recorded 35mm at wacol in that time.

Jarro
12th December 2007, 05:47 PM
Surely NSW's first win in 13 starts?!

Nice work Weatherman Dan :smt023

Fishman Dan
12th December 2007, 09:10 PM
15 overs bowled - NSW in the driving seat here!! :lol:

jimandr
12th December 2007, 11:04 PM
I couldn't be bothered starting a separate thread for this. After all, its cricket, and I saw it two days ago.

Did anyone see a "world series classics" on Foxtel a few days ago that showed the legendary Australia A v Australia game from 93/4. Young Warne and young McGrath had both just broken into the Australia team that year.

I had always thought that series was a low point in cricket, but those who didn't see it should googlesearch for the Australia A team and check out who was in it.

Every one of the bowlers was never heard from again (except for Gavin Robertson, and he was hardly a future superstar), but check out the batting lineup. From memory it was Hayden, Blewitt, Martyn, Langer, ?, and some young bloke called Ponting at 6. Most of them wouldn't have played a test at that stage. Goes to show we had some great batting depth back then.

Greg Rowell was one of the bowlers. What was his claim to fame? I can't even remember him at all.

markTHEblake
12th December 2007, 11:15 PM
Two things made that series a joke

1. Andy Bichel, fired for australia A throughout the series, was promoted to Australian team for the final and was made 12th man.

2. why would you call the 2nd team Australia A. shouldnt it have been called Australia B

AndyP
13th December 2007, 07:34 AM
I saw some of that, Jim. It was classic stuff. I saw Fleming bowl a couple of great balls to knock the stumps over.
Boony was looking beautiful as usual, and was actually bowling.

Bring back Australia A!

Fishman Dan
13th December 2007, 08:07 AM
IGreg Rowell was one of the bowlers. What was his claim to fame? I can't even remember him at all.

Queenslander? Pretty useful bowler actually, I think he toured to the UK but didn't play a test. Bowled stump to stump and probably would have done ok in the first XI.

NSW get the win - and the bonus point! :lol:

Jarro
13th December 2007, 08:11 AM
NSW get the win - and the bonus point! :lol:

You can thank the DL method for that one, we had you wankers on the rack !

Fishman Dan
13th December 2007, 08:12 AM
Greg Rowell (http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/australia/content/player/7400.html)

Fancy that, grew up in the neighbouring suburb from me and then defected north of the border. No wonder he never got a run for Australia!

jimandr
13th December 2007, 10:36 PM
I found the game. Thanks Fishy for the link. It was actually 94/5.

Toss: Australia 'A'
Umpires: DB Hair and SG Randell
TV Umpire: WP Sheahan
Match Referee: JR Reid (NZ)
Man of the Match: No award
Man of the Finals: SR Waugh

Australia 'A' innings (50 overs maximum) R M B 4 6
GS Blewett c Taylor b McGrath 64 122 91 3 1
ML Hayden c Slater b Fleming 4 12 4 1 0
*DR Martyn lbw b Warne 58 63 40 8 0
MG Bevan c Healy b McGrath 19 29 23 1 0
JL Langer c Healy b McGrath 14 30 26 0 0
RT Ponting c ME Waugh b Fleming 13 36 31 0 0
+PA Emery b Boon 10 26 20 0 0
GR Robertson b Fleming 4 10 8 0 0
J Angel not out 15 42 31 0 0
GJ Rowell c Slater b McDermott 8 20 17 1 0
SP George b Fleming 2 15 12 0 0
Extras (lb 10, w 4, nb 1) 15
Total (all out, 49.4 overs, 208 mins) 226

FoW: 1-12 (Hayden), 2-111 (Martyn), 3-144 (Bevan),
4-158 (Blewett), 5-174 (Langer), 6-191 (Ponting),
7-193 (Emery), 8-197 (Robertson), 9-218 (Rowell),
10-226 (George).

Bowling O M R W
McDermott 10 1 38 1 (1nb 3w)
Fleming 9.4 1 28 4
McGrath 10 0 41 3
Warne 10 0 55 1
Law 2 0 21 0
ME Waugh 3 0 20 0 (1w)
Boon 5 0 13 1

Australia innings (target: 227 runs off 50 overs) R M B 4 6
*MA Taylor c Langer b Blewett 50 101 69 2 0
MJ Slater run out (Bevan) 56 109 84 4 0
ME Waugh lbw b Blewett 3 15 11 0 0
DC Boon c Martyn b Angel 27 56 41 1 0
SR Waugh not out 56 84 64 2 1
SG Law not out 27 35 27 1 0
Extras (lb 8, w 1, nb 1) 10
Total (4 wickets, 49 overs) 229

DNB: +IA Healy, CJ McDermott, SK Warne, DW Fleming, GD McGrath.

FoW: 1-107 (Taylor), 2-111 (Slater), 3-116 (ME Waugh), 4-172 (Boon).

Bowling O M R W
Angel 10 0 55 1 (1nb)
Rowell 10 1 40 0
George 8 0 34 0
Blewett 10 1 44 2
Robertson 10 0 40 0
Martyn 1 0 8 0 (1w)

I also looked up Greg Rowell on Google. He was the losing candidate for the Lord Mayor of Brisbane early this year!

AndyP
14th December 2007, 07:34 AM
Umpires: DB Hair and SG RandellThere's a couple of umps who have seen a bit of controversy.

I also looked up Greg Rowell on Google. He was the losing candidate for the Lord Mayor of Brisbane early this year!We haven't had an election yet (next year), so he's still the ALP candidate.

3oneday
14th December 2007, 07:37 AM
So, will we see night Tests using Pink balls ? :lol:

goughy
14th December 2007, 07:45 AM
I don't think they could continue with the australia a concept as how often can you have a tri series final with both aussie teams? In fact, australia b would probably make the finals now days.

Bruce
14th December 2007, 09:51 AM
I may be mis-remembering - but didn't they pull Paul Reiffel out of the Australia A team and make in 12th man for Australia?

markTHEblake
14th December 2007, 10:05 AM
I may be mis-remembering - but didn't they pull Paul Reiffel out of the Australia A team and make in 12th man for Australia?

Thats what i said....., no wait i thought it was Bichel, but yeah pretty sure your right.

Wouldnt that piss you off, being No 1 bowler for the seconds, get promoted and carry the drinks.

They should have picked the squad for the two teams and not interchanged any players for the series. Dumbest thing i have ever seen in cricket (apart from bowling underarm)