PDA

View Full Version : dont ever give up....

markTHEblake
10th October 2007, 01:44 AM
This is even better than David v Goliath, i can hardly beleive it.

On this Day (yankee time) 8 Oct 1918 a Cpl Alvin York was under fire from a 35 gun - machine gun nest from only 30 yards away, and had just lost half his squad and commanders, the remainder were not in a position to return fire, and he had NO cover.

The Germans didnt know what had hit them, everytime they raised their heads for a look - they died.

He alone killed 28 Germans from 28 shots, he simply picked them off one by one, including the 6 who charged him with bayonets. Talk about a cool head, he deliberatly shot the rear ones first, so the front ones didnt realise it and kept coming.

The Germans realising they were against insurmountable odds surrended, nearly 100 of them, including 3 officers :shock:. On the way back, he picked up another 30. Needless to say, he got a tonne of medals for this.

I know there are a few grunts around here who would be interested in this, http://www.alvincyork.org/Diary.htm scroll down to October 8th 1918.

If your ever up against the odds, don't give up!

Jarro
10th October 2007, 06:33 AM
Nice story Blake. I'll try and remember it when i play my next matchplay match :roll:

Tell you what, lets make it into a movie. I'll play the part of the Cpl York ... you can be one of the germans :)

Fishman Dan
10th October 2007, 08:31 AM
If he was that good I'm sure he would have tried to pot a couple of the hun with a single shot?