PDA

View Full Version : On the range or in the shop?

Bruce
1st October 2004, 01:49 PM
Not sure if my first post should be here on in the Equip Me forum.

I used to play only a couple of rounds a year and for that, the clubs my father handed down to me were just fine (some old Prosimmon Heritages). Now I find the bug is biting and it is time I had some clubs of my own. So I start scouting around to get a feel for what is around. And the answer is of course, plenty.

So I go down to the local range's demo day where they had Adams and Brosnan stuff. Hit a few different kinds and actually got the best results with the new release Brosnan gear (and I have seen the reputation they seem to have around here too). Then I head down to Drummond and they have a bajillion different options to try and so I hit a few of those into the net.

But it just didn't feel the same as at the range. I wanted to see the ball flight and relate the feel of the strike to the final result. I couldn't get that with the net and the launch monitor thing.

Am I right in wanting to see the ball all the way? Or should I trust what some machine and looking at the contact points are telling me without being able to know what my hands and eyes are telling me?

And where in Melbourne is a range that has just about everything to demo? I don't see myself turning into a Ho so I want to make sure I get the right set for me first time.

amanda
1st October 2004, 02:00 PM
Welcome Bruce!

I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to see ball flight etc when spending hard earned $$$ on clubs. I'm in Sydney, so I can't help you with where to go - we have only 1 driving range locally that has a House of Golf store on it to demo stuff. The other option is to schlep around to all of the demo days they have on at various places - The Golfer newspaper usually has a list.

I know you're not a fan of launch monitors and the practice net - but if you're game, give Tour Performance Golf a go (1123 Toorak Road Camberwell, 9809 4115). Ben is an excellent guy and does custom fits for about the same price as buying stuff off the shelf. He'll then tweak the clubs after you've played a few rounds with them.

Good luck and keep us updated with your progress :D

Jarro
1st October 2004, 05:21 PM
welcome Bruce :smt006

I agree with Amanda 100% .. do yourself a favour and go and see Ben at TPG ... he'll put you on the path to righteousness :roll: :lol:

... and tell him Jarro sent ya, you'll probably pay more then :smt003

goughy
2nd October 2004, 07:37 AM
I'll probably get a slap on the wrist for this but I've never demo'ed any of my golfing purchases. In a way they have all been on impulse. But I can say that my last 2 sets of irons were big mistakes, and I would have to say that trying to hit some beforehand, and preferably on the range would be a great idea. At least I got my iron purchase right 3rd time around :roll:

Jarro
2nd October 2004, 10:57 AM
GOUGHY :smt018 :smt075

gazgolf1
2nd October 2004, 11:35 AM
I don't see myself turning into a Ho so I want to make sure I get the right set for me first time.

Ve have vays of turning you into a ho. :wink:

Welcome Bruce. 8)

Flowergirl
11th October 2004, 04:17 PM
Welcome Bruce!!!
Take the advice of Amanda & Jarro and go and see Ben.
I got my new clubs from him five weeks ago and the difference has been unreal!!!!
I just trusted him and had faith in what he figured was best for me. I must admit I had reservations - but I am playing soooooooo much better. Hope this helps a bit :wink:

McMw
11th October 2004, 04:42 PM
I'll probably get a slap on the wrist for this but I've never demo'ed any of my golfing purchases. In a way they have all been on impulse. But I can say that my last 2 sets of irons were big mistakes, and I would have to say that trying to hit some beforehand, and preferably on the range would be a great idea. At least I got my iron purchase right 3rd time around :roll:

and one of those set were the TM300s weren't there??? :wink: