PDA

View Full Version : Keeping golf stats - definitions

amanda
1st October 2004, 02:14 PM
Hi everyone,

I've been keeping golf stats for a while using GameTrak on FreeGolfInfo and wondered what other people use as the definition of these terms:

Up & down - must be a chipping shot + a putt (not a pitch shot) - some people insist that this is anything from 100 yards/metres in
Sand save - up & down from bunker - even if it's not for par (Brad insists it is for par)
GIR - I'm currently using conventional GIR - but would it be more useful if I used GIR for my handicap (or even better - for my target handicap of 18)?

The GIR one is confusing me the most & I'm wondering what would be best to help develop my game?

Choppa
1st October 2004, 02:39 PM
Very interesting questions Amanda.....

My 2 cents worth would be:

1. ??

2. I would consider a sand save whether it was for par or not. After all, the stat you want to use is how you are playing out of greenside bunkers I would think. If you are getting up and down from them no matter what the final score, you can feel comfortable about that aspect of your game.

3. I would personally consider GIR in relation to the course par, although I am sure this point will be split 50/50. For me, I want to see my improvement against a static baseline, ie. Course par.

I will be very interested to see what everone thinks though. :-k

amanda
1st October 2004, 02:41 PM
Thanks Choppa - maybe for guys standard GIR is achievable, no matter what your handicap. But physically, maybe us ladies of smaller stature will have difficulties.

Choppa
1st October 2004, 02:44 PM
Amanda, I am sure there will be many different opinions on that one.

I know in the Dr. Rotella books, he talks a lot about playing for your personal par rather than the course par. So perhaps that is the way to go. :?:

McMw
1st October 2004, 02:49 PM
Up & down - must be a chipping shot + a putt (not a pitch shot) - some people insist that this is anything from 100 yards/metres in

Sand save - up & down from bunker - even if it's not for par (Brad insists it is for par)

GIR - I'm currently using conventional GIR - but would it be more useful if I used GIR for my handicap (or even better - for my target handicap of 18)?

Up & down - I don't focus much on Up and Down, coz it's too broad...
Sand Saves - Again, not really anal abt sand saves....isit classified as an up and down stat as well???
GIR - I keep track of this...

# Putts - I keep track of this...
# Pars - I keep track of this...
# Strokes - I keep track of this...

AndyP
1st October 2004, 03:35 PM
amanda, at this stage I don't keep stats on up & downs, and sand saves. But I agree with Choppa that these stats are more useful if not compared to par, so they can give an indication of chipping and putting. As for the distance for chipping.... :smt102

For GIRs, I use the course par. I know there are a couple of holes on a course, that I struggle to reach in two. But it doesn't matter, as long as I am consistent in the way I keep my stats, because I am only comparing them against my own. Unless of course you want to compare your GIRs with Brad? :wink:
Maybe keeping GIR against your target handicap is a good idea, until you get there. :idea:

Ducky
1st October 2004, 05:04 PM
I currently record my stats as follows:

FIR: Fairway in regulation (yes/no)
FS: Full shot outside of 60m
CH: Pitch or chip shot inside 60m
PT1: Putts within 10ft radius
PT2: Putts within 20ft radius
PT3: Putts outside 20ft radius
GIR: Greens in regulation (yes/no)
TOT: Total strokes

It's quite a lot of stats to record, but ultimately if you want to identify which areas of your game need work, you will need to be as specific as possible with the stats that you do record for each hole (and the round).

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

Jarro
1st October 2004, 06:10 PM
what about we set up a Gametrack group, to keep track of how each of us are going :?:

amanda
1st October 2004, 07:00 PM
That's a great idea Jarro - do you know how to do it?

terryand
1st October 2004, 07:05 PM
Puter literate Jarro....Sure he does :? :wink:

Terry.

marcel
1st October 2004, 07:25 PM
amanda,

gir's, I'd suggest you work out your own possible regulation for each hole. e.g. if there is a long par 4 that even if you hit your best 2 shots you're not going to get home in 2, call it a 3 shotter. Then count your gir's on this criteria. As you develop your game you can then revisit this criteria.
I think gir's are a particularly relevant measure for me as I'm not much of a putter, if I don't hit at leat 9 greens I'm not likely to play to handicap.

Jarro
1st October 2004, 07:31 PM
That's a great idea Jarro - do you know how to do it?

let me check AW, i'll get back to ya :wink:

Jarro
1st October 2004, 07:36 PM
http://www.freegolfinfo.com/gametrack3/groups/group_report.asp?groupid=25331

Jarro
1st October 2004, 07:41 PM
.. does it work :?:

markTHEblake
1st October 2004, 08:08 PM
Mandy, the Up & Down stat differs for many stats programs, the important thing is for you is to find one method and just stick to it.
You will find that the 'standard' definitions as being more relevant to the scratch golfer than the average golfer.

Also if you attempt to record GIR for your personal par (which may well be bogey) it might stuff up the stats program, because in most of them it calculates GIR by Score - Putts compared to Par, rather than say ticking a box.

the solution may be to record the Scorecard in the Stats program as a Par 90 for example instead of Par 72, then that will work quite well for you, but you couldnt use that online system then.

If you go to www.magadraw.com you could ask the author Scot what his thoughts are for getting better relevance from high handicappers. He loves to talk to people.

Courty
2nd October 2004, 09:00 AM
Hi Amanda, I'll address your original question.

I classify an up & down as anything that gets the ball in the hole in regulation (gross or nett, whichever you feel is more suitable to your game) if the green was missed in regulation.

Generally speaking, I see a sand save as getting the ball out of the bunker and into the cup in 2 shots. How it relates to par isn't a big deal as it is more about how proficient you are from the sand. I stopped worrying about keeping this stat as there aren't that many bunkers on my course.

GIR - I'm currently using conventional GIR - but would it be more useful if I used GIR for my handicap (or even better - for my target handicap of 18 )?
As I said earlier, if hitting a gross green in regulation isn't realistic, then you should concentrate on nett greens in regulation. That's what handicaps are for.

Good luck!

AndyP
2nd October 2004, 09:50 PM
Not for me, but you probably have to be a member already. :?

Jarro
2nd October 2004, 09:55 PM
Not for me, but you probably have to be a member already. :?

yeah once you join FGI.. just go to the gametrack section.. search for private groups.. Ozgolfers... password is par ... and away you go 8)

Flowergirl
14th October 2004, 01:04 PM
Stats............ :shock: .......sorry don't get it. I KNOW that by keeping them you can improve by knowing your weaknesses and strenghs etc.........but gees.....I'm sorry but I couldn't be bothered. I have enough trouble keeping my bookwork up to date at work without creating more!!!

By hey guys - I'm not knocking you for keeping them - whatever keeps you happy :lol:

AndyP
14th October 2004, 01:15 PM
By hey guys - I'm not knocking you for keeping them - whatever keeps you happy :lol:
Yes, you are. You're judging us. :(

Mmmmmm, statistics. =P~ Now that's where the real joy of golf starts. :wink:

Flowergirl
14th October 2004, 05:47 PM
Now Andy.........don't you go getting huffy on me. :wink:

markTHEblake
14th October 2004, 06:35 PM
You make some good points Betty Boo.... For some people its not in their genes.

I have been keeping my stats since i started playing again in 1998, and rarely look them very closely. The one stat i find invaluable is to see on my home course which holes are my worst, and its quite often a surprise which ones they are.

Knowing this info, I can then start thinking about some conservative strategies to improve my score on that hole.

Another advantage about stats is that with Alzheimers setting in, helps me remember some of the better days on the golf course.

Also if your going to get lessons, produce the stats to your coach - there is much more to learn about playing this game than swinging the club.

For me I love my stats, but the GST return is something i cant bother about :-)

Golfgirl
15th October 2004, 10:00 AM
Hi Amanda,

If it is any help - I keep my GIR stats in relation to my handicap and ability, eg, should reach par 3 in 2 or less, par 4 in 3 or less, or par 5 in 4 or less.

Matt got me started with doing it this way as he said it was unrealistic for me to genuinely hit greens in regulation. Now when I really do hit a green in regulation, I put an asterisk next to the stat... they are slowly building up.... :wink:

I haven't been keeping stats this year, but did so religiously last year, and it really highlighted what I need to work on. Every now and then after a game I will jot down my stats to check whether the same problems are still occurring. I usually cost myself shots on the green or out of greenside bunkers. But I am improving because I know that is where I need to concentrate harder and refine my techniques.