PDA

View Full Version : Mornington Peninsular

mike
2nd October 2007, 08:55 AM
The missus is going to a teaching conference on the Mornington Peninsular in January and I'm tagging along.

Any decent golf courses there ?

mike
2nd October 2007, 09:02 AM
That's what I heard

Bruce
2nd October 2007, 09:21 AM
It's only St Andrews Beach that is at risk of closing down isn't it?

AndyP
2nd October 2007, 09:23 AM
Just about all of them are great, mike. The list is pretty long.

mike
2nd October 2007, 02:43 PM
I know, Andy.

What are the best public access courses ?

Can any mug roll up at RM or Moonah Links and have a hit ?

BrisVegas
2nd October 2007, 02:46 PM
no & yes.

RM is by prior arrangement and is big $$ to play.

Moonah Links two (public) courses make for a good day out. Many hate the Open course, but I enjoyed it. the Legends course was a bit more interesting and playable. I was there a few years ago and it was $150 to play both in a day.

The Dunes is a fun public access course too, with some strong holes. I think it was under $100.

You can also play the National courses by prior arrangement. At least I think that's still the case.

Andrew
2nd October 2007, 02:50 PM
Mike, there is possibly one or two other threads discussing this topic. None of the information would have changed over the last 12 months.

Your best bet is to work out how many games you are going to be able to play & how much you want to spend. There is something for everyone, whether you want brutal or strategic, old world or modern, expensive or cheap, or maybe you love gardens in the middle of your bunkers.

The 2 courses that may not be there in a few years time is St Andrews Beach & Portsea. (Portsea will still be there, but not in the form it is in now).

Other than that, National Moonah & Old are worth a hit. The Dunes is all right. Moonah Legend is reasonable, as is Sorrento & Cape Schank is like a short version of National Old.

If you get a chance play Peninsula North & South. Not as afr down the coast as the others, but even if you have to drive a bit, it will worth it.

BrisWesty
5th October 2007, 03:55 PM
Say G'day to Flowergirl and Johnny boy too.

Dunes is pretty good. Was about $60 to play in the comp at the start of the year.

mike
6th October 2007, 10:28 AM
Staying at Mt Eliza a stones throw from Mornington Golf Club. Wanting to have a hit there because of the proximity.
Know someone up here whose dad is a member at Portsea. Hope to get an invite there.
Want to play Mon Tue Thur and Fri.
Hey Flowergirl, what part of Melbourne are you at ?

AndyP
6th October 2007, 10:35 AM
FG is OS ATM. She's based in Rosebud, right down the bottom of the Peninsula.

I'd recommend the Dunes if you are down that way as well, if you are looking for more affordable options.

mike
6th October 2007, 11:57 AM
Just had a look on Google Earth.

Holy crap, golf courses every frickin' where.

mike
6th October 2007, 11:58 AM
...and they all look the same from 40 miles up

Flowergirl
7th October 2007, 03:30 PM
Hiya Mike:) Just got back from your way - Cairns is a beautiful spot isn't it!!!

My opinion - for what it's worth - would be to give Mornington a miss. It's good but you could do a lot better. The Dunes is excellent - my pick. Under $60 and a great challenge. Moonah Old Course then Moonah Legends. Portsea is not to everyone's liking - and January down here is very very busy so Portsea and Sorrento will be harder to get on to. All the Melbourne toffs will be down at their holiday houses and filling up the golf courses there.
Mt Eliza is a to spot to stay due to it's location. Less than an hour to Melbourne and about 30 mins to the golf courses you have mentioned.
Anything else you want to know just ask. Happy to help.:mrgreen:

When in January?

mike
7th October 2007, 04:30 PM
Hi FG, sorry I didn't catch up with you while you were here. Sounds like Courty showed you the good strip joints.

Why is Mornington no good ? I'm from the sticks you know.

My golf days are Jan 7,8,10 and 11 ( Mon,Tue,Thur and Fri ) I haven't organised anything yet, just doing some research.

Without inside knowledge it's hard to choose. So many courses. Everyone seems to like the Dunes. Cape Schank has been highly recommended. Moonah Links sounds good but a bit expensive. Still like the look of Portsea. Like to play Flinders as well.

Your thoughts ?

Flowergirl
7th October 2007, 08:32 PM
Don't get me wrong. Mornington is good - frustrating - but good. It's on a slope so the ball runs off the fairways all the time. You do a good shot in the middle of the fairway only to see it run into the scrub. And it has been so dry here that in Jan. it will be worse.
I really like Cape Schanck and Flinders also - but again it will be very very busy down here the dates you want to play. Just book in early and realise that you won't have a quick round.
If you want a game on a less prestigious course - and you want to catch up with me - we could have a game at my home course Rosebud Park ( not Rosebud Country Club). I happen to love it and the views over the bay are amazing. Let me know.
Also happy to invite you to dinner if you have the time. :mrgreen:

dc68
10th October 2007, 10:57 AM
Give Portsea a miss it is a goat track.

BrisVegas
10th October 2007, 11:29 AM
Yeah Portsea aint that great, but it's worth playing just so you can have an opinion. From what I've heard, Tony Cashmore is renovating it so it might not be the same again.

Andrew
10th October 2007, 11:44 AM
Give Portsea a miss it is a goat track.

It's at this point that I shake my head & say nothing.:(

dc68
10th October 2007, 12:09 PM
Different strokes for different folks.

I was really looking forward to it when told I was playing there and most people I spoke to said it was a fantastic course. I got there played it and hated it. Simple stuff really.

amanda
10th October 2007, 12:37 PM
mike - if you and the wife are looking for a special dinner out - try the T'Gallant winery (think rustic Italian) or Montalto winery (mod Oz)

Both have delish food - a bit pricey - but I think worthwhile.

chappy1970
10th October 2007, 12:47 PM
Mike,
If I can wangle it and your prepared to travel 1/2 an hour the opposite way to the peninsula, I could host you at Southern if your interested?

Tentative at the mo.
www.southerngolfclub.com.au (http://www.southerngolfclub.com.au)
Chappy

mike
10th October 2007, 06:22 PM
If you want a game on a less prestigious course - and you want to catch up with me - we could have a game at my home course Rosebud Park ( not Rosebud Country Club). I happen to love it and the views over the bay are amazing. Let me know.
Also happy to invite you to dinner if you have the time. :mrgreen:

Mike,
If I can wangle it and your prepared to travel 1/2 an hour the opposite way to the peninsula, I could host you at Southern if your interested?
Tentative at the mo.

Chappy

FG and Chappy, that sounds good. Are you able to play mid week? I'll be hiring a car, travel isn't a problem.

Will let you know in the weeks ahead.

Flowergirl
11th October 2007, 10:57 AM
FG and Chappy, that sounds good. Are you able to play mid week? I'll be hiring a car, travel isn't a problem.

Will let you know in the weeks ahead.

Midweek is fine by me.;)

mike
11th October 2007, 12:17 PM
Different strokes for different folks.

I was really looking forward to it when told I was playing there and most people I spoke to said it was a fantastic course. I got there played it and hated it. Simple stuff really.

I could never understand how anyone can 'hate a golf course'.

Was the bunkering unimaginative? Wrong grass on the tees ? Wrong beers on tap? Ugly bar staff ?

Which of these relates closest to Portsea?

kev
11th October 2007, 09:40 PM
You might also want to consider Eagle Ridge (http://http://www.eagleridge.com.au/).

(presume the below will be the same for 2007/2008 )

SUMMER HOLIDAYS
26th December 2006 to 14th January 2007 - All Days $55
- Daily after 4pm $32

TWILIGHT SPECIAL
1st December 2006 to 28th February 2007
- Mid Week $25 - Weekend $31
Daily after 4pm

Flowergirl
12th October 2007, 11:35 PM
Kev - have you played Eagle Ridge? Personally I hate the course. ( Yes - you can hate a golf course) It doesn't know if it's a links type course or a parklands type - and it fails both miserably. They have tried to pretty it up with fancy water features and gardens but it still sucks.
Great looking club house though.

kev
13th October 2007, 02:49 PM
Played it 3 or 4 times. I actually don't mind it overall. Oh well, maybe I'm a bit weird.

Flowergirl
16th October 2007, 08:02 AM
Played it 3 or 4 times. I actually don't mind it overall. Oh well, maybe I'm a bit weird.

oF COURSE YOU ARE WEIRD - YOU BELONG TO oZGOLF!!!!;) :mrgreen: :smt023

dc68
16th October 2007, 08:12 AM
Which of these relates closest to Portsea?

Take your pick.

WBennett
18th October 2007, 07:34 PM
I'll be in Melb the week of 11 Jan as well - and understand that courses will be tough to get on. We will be staying out Lalor way - does anyone have any suggestions (other than lock your car)? I have played Growling Frog and enjoyed it, but is there a sandbelt course I am any chance of getting on?

Flowergirl
18th October 2007, 09:09 PM
I'll be in Melb the week of 11 Jan as well - and understand that courses will be tough to get on. We will be staying out Lalor way - does anyone have any suggestions (other than lock your car)? I have played Growling Frog and enjoyed it, but is there a sandbelt course I am any chance of getting on?

Toolish is down that way. But isn't he away getting married or something silly like that?;)

mike
31st December 2007, 03:10 PM
My week is nearly set. Dunes monday, Moonah Legends tuesday, Wednesday is a golf free day, Rosebud Park on friday. I had National booked for thursday but cancelled. Portsea f**ked me around. I booked a morning tee time about 3 months ago and they rang me last week to tell me I have to play in the arv. Doesn't suit.

Any suggestions for Thursday ? I'm leaving it a bit late I know. Mornington GC is right next to where i'm staying. Is it OK ?

AndyP
31st December 2007, 03:18 PM
Cape Schanck?

TS
31st December 2007, 03:48 PM
Mike.

When I played Moonah, they had a special deal where you paid extra $50 or $60 dollars and you can play both courses on the same day and with Cart throw in.

I prefer the Open course than Legend.

mike
17th January 2008, 11:52 PM
Played The Dunes on Monday in a howling gale . Tough course but a heap of fun. Struggled to score well but finished with the same ball I started with.

Snuck in 9 holes at Mt Martha wednesday morning. Nice little course. Too crowded.

4BBB comp at Long Island on thursday. One of the best presented courses I've ever played on. Some of the tees were better than the greens on my course. Played my best golf of the week here, 23 points on the front nine. 13 on the back.

Played Devilbend on friday. Very surprised at how good a course this is. One of the lower ranked courses on the peninsula , but better than just about everything up this way.

Highlight of the week , however , was the Moonah Links Open course on tuesday. THE best golfing experience of my life. Course was just su-PERB. Tees , fairways and greens all beyond anything I've ever played on.

chappy1970
18th January 2008, 07:31 AM
Mike,
Agreed, Moonah Links Open course is an absolute joy to play, but it also one of the most brutal courses I have ever played. The legends course is also a fantastic track and a little more forgiving as well.

BrisVegas
18th January 2008, 07:41 AM
yeah I really enjoyed the Open course too. Don't go saying that too loudly around the architecture snobs though, as apparently it's a dog turd.

Andrew
18th January 2008, 07:56 AM
Well done, Mike, for having a great golfing trip. It sounds like you really enjoyed yourself.

yeah I really enjoyed the Open course too. Don't go saying that too loudly around the architecture snobs though, as apparently it's a dog turd.

Yes, but it's the best conditioned 'dog turd' in Victoria. :lol:

andigold
18th January 2008, 07:57 AM
Played The Dunes on Monday in a howling gale . Tough course but a heap of fun. Struggled to score well but finished with the same ball I started with.

Snuck in 9 holes at Mt Martha wednesday morning. Nice little course. Too crowded.

4BBB comp at Long Island on thursday. One of the best presented courses I've ever played on. Some of the tees were better than the greens on my course. Played my best golf of the week here, 23 points on the front nine. 13 on the back.

Played Devilbend on friday. Very surprised at how good a course this is. One of the lower ranked courses on the peninsula , but better than just about everything up this way.

Highlight of the week , however , was the Moonah Links Open course on tuesday. THE best golfing experience of my life. Course was just su-PERB. Tees , fairways and greens all beyond anything I've ever played on.

Mike, I've played the open course a couple of times and I find it overly penal. On superb land for golf TWP have dropped in bunkers in the middle of the fairway, huge dropoffs from the fairway to run a ball driven down the middle into the rough. They have used length and "difficulty" as a substitute for intelligent & elegant design (the complete opposite to Portsea & Sorrento for example). I'd still happily play it once a year I just think they let the whole "home of the Australian Open" thing cloud their judgement and it has become an opportunity lost.

I'm glad that you enjoyed it though, sounds like a great trip.

AndyP
18th January 2008, 07:57 AM
The Open Course doesn't even make my top 5.

How many fairway bunkers did you go in, mike?

Andrew
18th January 2008, 08:06 AM
The Open Course doesn't even make my top 50.

That's a bit rough, Andy! :lol:

AndyP
18th January 2008, 08:25 AM
It was either Nudgee or Moonah Links Open that I was going to slot into the 50th spot, and it was an easy decision in the end.

mike
18th January 2008, 06:14 PM
On superb land for golf TWP have dropped in bunkers in the middle of the fairway, huge dropoffs from the fairway to run a ball driven down the middle into the rough. .

I found it a work of art. The course flowed so naturally amongst the dunes .
Which holes have the 'huge dropoffs into the rough'? I played pretty good that day. I can't think of one well struck drive that ended up in the shit.
And what's so bad about bunkers in the middle of the fairway ?

How many fairway bunkers did you go in, mike?

I didn't hit a fairway bunker until the 8th. Found another on 9.
Another one on 18. That's 3. Found one greenside bunker on the par 3 5th. ( the furthest right ) And what a bunker that is.:shock:

I played smart. Had the course to myself. Studied the yardage book on each tee. There's plenty of room out there when you think about it, really.
FWIW I scored 34 points for the day.

The day I played wasn't that windy either. The same course on a blowy day would be a monster.

Best course on earth.

Just my opinion

andigold
19th January 2008, 08:55 PM
I found it a work of art. The course flowed so naturally amongst the dunes .
Which holes have the 'huge dropoffs into the rough'? I played pretty good that day. I can't think of one well struck drive that ended up in the shit.
And what's so bad about bunkers in the middle of the fairway ?

<snip>

Best course on earth.

Just my opinion

The land is good Mike, we agree on that. :)

There are bunkers in the middle of the fairway on 2, 4, 8, 10, 12 & 18. Like a tree in the playing line you can maybe get away with it once but this is lazy, uninspired design.

Also I find the par 3's are bland and have only about 30 mts difference in length from shortest to longest (around 170 to 200).

On 14(?) if you drive down the left side (10 mts off centre) and fail to reach the top of the shelf (about 220 from the black, 200 from the blues) the overly contoured fairway channels your ball off into the first cut behind the deep bunker cut into the hill. Yes, it's happened to me. :)

I think it's an ordinary course constructed on extraordinary land, so, while that adds up to a good course, I also believe it could have been so much better.

As you say they are just our opinions.