PDA

View Full Version : Taylormade Dual Type N and Cleveland Launcher 400 review

macleod
1st October 2004, 10:04 AM
see, i told you i was bored.

yesterday was back at the range with some sore bits to just smack some more balls into the horizon.

Taylormade Dual Type N 10.5, s-65 and Cleveland 400 Launcher S 9.5

TMDTN:
Less heel projection than the D type, square face, oddly less balanced feel to it heft.

Same pop and feel as the D type, not the r500 "szzmuck".

just couldn't get it to go as far as easily as the D, most likely shaft flex quotient, you could really pump out a lazy shot with the r-55 shaft and get wonderful hangtime.

TM's design guys say they've enhanced the gear effect due to the weighting and face marriage of lurve. could be nice trying to get them off the toe gave nice results drawwise. again surprised i could actually draw it...go figure...

i would assume for the pro drivers in the OZG patch they'd like this one since you can move it around.

just didn't feel as comfortable behind the ball as with the D, again most likely a mental effect of thinking my gay fade would be well back in play.

Cleveland horse apple:
Deep face, shorter toe to heel, toe bulge.

Was consistently longer than the N as i hit 5/10 alternates between drivers i had out.

i wasn't quite as comfortable begind the ball as the overall dimension made it look substantially shorter heel-toe. Good carry up with the D 220-230ish. flatter trajectory but you could actually get right under it with the deeper face if you had a think about it and get some cool Jarro style moonballs that stiull carried 200m.

Forgiveness wasn't actually a big factor for this baby, i still felt you could phone one in the with D type and still have a reasonable distance and direction. you can really feel the feedback of a bad shot with the 400 though. "ow my freakin' girly wrists'

It feels more solid than the others but in a non-responsive way. In my mind like a boiler plate vs aluminium cladding kinda different. Perhaps the 460 will have better feel.

The fuji stock shaft didn't really feel great to say the least. from memory it's a. 350 tip....again meaning not much to me. it was also interestingly sitting longer than the N type at about 45.5" at me guess from the other shafts i had with me. odd.

overall i wanted to go get the D type again.

To footnote the day, a guy came along with an R7 TP and whilst not accurate his good shots had a wonderfully deceptive mid/flat trajectory that was carry to the 240m easily. To look at the ball in flight and hear the 'exhaust note' of his drives it was hard to iamgine they were even going to get that far. just proves im a nong....

he was obviously a long driver, but was spraying it a fair bit whilst i was oddly planting in the same 'green' and hillock notch i aim for consistently. this is of course not reprentative of my current form or ability, just a result of repetition repetition repetition.....

Today's retest - Footlong Meatball with all salads, olives and jalapenos plus Horseradish and Southwest sauce.

it's a standard combo and normally only the meat content changes...so join me later for the full review

Nike Ignite 10.5 CC S flex to tell the trust and a Titleist 983K....