PDA

View Full Version : Need help on travel bag

andylo
30th September 2004, 01:08 PM
Hi all,

Never thought of getting a golf travel bag so I think it's about time to do it.

Just curious if the Proline $40 one in GolfWorks will work well for me? I think it make with nylon and I don't really know how it works to save the life of my clubs and bag?!?! :?

AndyP
30th September 2004, 01:44 PM
A-Lo, can't really give you any tips on what bag to get, but I can highly recommend putting a broomstick or something similar in your golf bag to ensure there is no damage caused to your longer clubs (make sure the stick is longer than the driver).

3oneday
30th September 2004, 02:40 PM
Alo,

I have had a nylon one for 10 years ?? the same one, what you are doing is protecting your bag from damage and stains, and this does the job well.

Might have to ask Andippy to borrow his broomstick though :wink:.

Pete

andylo
30th September 2004, 02:50 PM
good suggestion, thanks Andy

AndyP
30th September 2004, 02:52 PM
Might have to ask Andippy to borrow his broomstick though :wink:.

I've given it back to the mother-in-law now. :mrgreen:

markTHEblake
30th September 2004, 03:36 PM
I have one of those Travel Covers that slides right over the existing bag. The number of scrapes and marks on it is justification enough that one is needed. I have even seen Pro's use Hard covers.

Also make sure its got a lock on it - you know what some of these baggage handlers are like.

amanda
30th September 2004, 03:57 PM
Andy - if you end up packing other things into the travel bag besides your clubs (e.g. towels for protection etc) the weight can add up - I'd also suggest getting a bag with wheels on the bottom.

I have a Bag Boy T250 - cost me $110 - but after 2 trips with it, definitely a great bag (http://www.bagboycompany.com/softcases.htm). The wheels on the bag saved me when I was travelling back from Alice with the golf bag and a suitcase.

But if you've got muscles - then no need for wheels!

Ducky
30th September 2004, 06:01 PM
Andy,

Just book an extra seat on the plane to sit your golf clubs in...

:D

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

Jarro
30th September 2004, 06:17 PM
A-Lo,

.. as part of my job, i load bags(golf-clubs) into the cargo holds of aircraft.

Whilst i take great care to make sure any clubs i handle don't get damaged, some of my work colleagues aren't as careful :roll:

if your budget allows, get yourself one of those hard-cases. If this isn't an option, at least try the old broomstick in the middle of the bag method.. with as many towels shoved in there as you can .... just to make sure :wink:

Choppa
30th September 2004, 08:17 PM
Andylo, just wait for Vegas to post on this topic. He's been all around the world with his clubs over the last few years....

Where are you Vegas :smt100 :smt100 :smt100

BrisVegas
30th September 2004, 08:44 PM
Andylo, just wait for Vegas to post on this topic. He's been all around the world with his clubs over the last few years....

Where are you Vegas :smt100 :smt100 :smt100

Yeah yeah, I'm here now. Was at the Norman Hotel eating half a cow... :lol:

Andylo - if you want a serious, unburstable case, get an SKB hard case. http://www.skbcases.com/sports/product/golf/hard.html
They're not cheap, but are the duck's nuts and have a worldwide replacement warranty on their locks/latches. I did a lot of o/s trips with absolutely no problems at all with mine (48" x 12" standard case). Only downside is they are pretty cumbersome and rigid, so can pose a problem in smaller cars. Sold it a few months back to golf91

For domestic travel, get a cheapie travel bag. I picked up a little Dunlop Travelmate case from Rebel Sports for my recent trip to Tassie. Beauty of it is that the hood is integrated into the bag, ie. all one piece, so it won't fall off or get yanked off. It's very minimalist, with only one pocket for golf balls and a basic shoulder strap, but does the job. I could just manage to fit all my clubs into it, but had to take the driver head-cover off due to the length. Pack it full of towels to prevent clanking of the heads. Just plan on worst case scenario.... What if it was dropped from 20 feet up?

The ClubGlove ( http://www.clubglove.com/user/ViewCategory.asp?CategoryId=2 ) soft cases are a great compromise option if you do a lot of travelling. They are tough, padded cases with tonnes of pockets for balls, shoes etc.. Some of them have cinch(?) straps to hold everything in place. Advantage of these is that they take up less space than the SKB ones once you have arrived at your destination.

There are also plenty of cheap nylon travel cases around. Some offer more protection than others. If all you want to do is hide your fancy carry bag or whatever, these will work fine.

Weigh up how often you'll travel and what sort of golf trips you'll make. There's a solution for every requirement! Good luck. 8)

markTHEblake
30th September 2004, 10:07 PM
Whilst i take great care to make sure any clubs i handle don't get damaged,

Jarro, I am quite certain it IS NOT in your job description to handle the clubs. You are SUPPOSED to leave them in the bag untouched. [-X

McMw
30th September 2004, 10:23 PM
as a golfing family, we travel a lot with our golf bags...

cover and lock is defn a must - hardcover if you can afford to 1) buy one, 2) pay excess baggage (if required)...

over the years - best thing I've learnt is to NEVER use a stand bag...the leg supports gets damaged too easily...
if you only have a stand bag, then best to tie them together....

JJJ
30th September 2004, 10:27 PM
Andy,

I have a hard case and don't use it anymore. It is cumbersome, bulky and a pain packing it in a car when you arrive at your destination. I've had a couple of the soft bags and destroyed them all (I do about 5 trips to the US a year and lots of interstate trips. Clubs get to holiday probably 8 times a year).

I am now the proud owner of a Club Glove Burstproof. Expensive but just the absolute best and almost indestructable. Quality Golf in Queensland now import them.

Here's a Golf Digest review of the better ones;

http://www.golfdigest.com/equipment/index.ssf?/equipment/gd200409hotlist.html

JJ

andylo
30th September 2004, 10:46 PM
Ah damn... all you guys giving me the best (also = expensive) idea....

At the end I just rush to Golfworks to get myself a $59 travel bag with wheels at the bottom...

Somehow make me think I should pray more to god in the normal days :roll: (so it will magically got no damage)

Anyway, I will a) just tuck in as much towels as I can and b) save up and buy one of those REAL travel bag... because I will go back to HK for a holiday this coming Feburary.

Thanks a lot guys :D

AndyP
1st October 2004, 07:51 AM
One other tip A-Lo. Remove the quotation marks (") from your signature. Your link should work then. 8)

Bruce
31st January 2006, 02:28 PM
Just resurrecting this thread to check if anyone has any further experiences to share. Looking at the calendar I see a few more travel adventures coming my way before the Champs.

Had a look at Drummond at lunchtime and thought the BagBoy T3 was the best looking one. $135 in there but I'm sure I can find a better price.

If I keep myself to the travel cover plus a carry on bag I reckon I'll even be able to avoid excess baggage costs.

Anyone seen/used anything better?

AndyP
31st January 2006, 02:34 PM
I just used a soft travel bag when I've taken my clubs on the road. It's nothing special, just covers it up.

You should be able to take normal luggage + carry on + golf bag, without incurring an excess baggage cost. I've never paid to take my golf gear with Qantas or Virgin.

amanda
31st January 2006, 02:34 PM
Bruce - I've successfully used the T3 to take bags to NZ, Alice Springs, Qld with no worries. We paid $120 each for ours.

Bruce
31st January 2006, 02:37 PM
What a fast, positive response. Thanks Mandy.

Any features you wish it had or didn't have?

Moe Norman
31st January 2006, 02:52 PM
I have one of these

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Brand-New-Ben-Hogan-by-Callaway-Golf-Travel-Bag_W0QQitemZ7213663269QQcategoryZ14105QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's been to NZ, Europe, Asia, the US. It's also been to Melbourne about 30 times. Still looks brand new and I've never had a problem with it.

From memory it cost me $100 brand new from the pro shp I used to work in.

I highly reccomend them. Mine is 5 years old now and honestly looks like I bougtit yesterday despite all the travel.

Bruce
31st January 2006, 02:55 PM
I think they sell those at Rebel Moe. I'll look there as well.

amanda
31st January 2006, 03:07 PM
Did the Ben Hogan bag have wheels? I've found wheels really useful - but that may be because I'm a featherweight who could never carry her golf travel bag the endless miles from baggage collection to the taxi rank!

Moe Norman
31st January 2006, 03:33 PM
yep, got wheels.

they're kinda like rollr blade wheels and it's an easy bag to wheel around. My minute wife wheeled it around one day for me when I was stuck carrying all her shopping loot in New York

BrisVegas
31st January 2006, 03:37 PM
i got a similar one made by Powerbilt!! We jammed 70 pounds worth of luggage in it when we moved back from the states and my wife could JUST move it. Very useful extra bag though, given that most airlines don't weigh golf clubs.

TS
31st January 2006, 09:39 PM
A-Lo, can't really give you any tips on what bag to get, but I can highly recommend putting a broomstick or something similar in your golf bag to ensure there is no damage caused to your longer clubs (make sure the stick is longer than the driver).

I did put a broomstick into my bag couple of times. The broomstick ended up breaking the bottom of my golf bag. If you do put a broomstick, make sure its bottom are well padded.

I have since travel more than 10 times, both domestic and international, I must be lucky because the clubs been fine.

Wheels on the travel bag is very helpful. I tend to stuff shoes, clothes into the golf bag and it get heavy on the shoulder.

Moe Norman
31st January 2006, 10:22 PM
i stick a postage tube thats about 30cm long between the top of my bag and the top of the golf bag. Stops the driver getting snapped and doesn't peirce a hole in the bottom like the broomsticks do.

terryand
2nd February 2006, 07:46 PM
Would anyone be kind enough to lend me their travel bag to protect my clubs for the trip to Sydney.

My Ogio bag has a zipperless hood that just flips open,bloody stoopid thing.

Terry.

AndyP
2nd February 2006, 07:50 PM
Tez, since I live close, you are welcome to use mine if you deem it suitable.

terryand
2nd February 2006, 08:00 PM
Tez, since I live close, you are welcome to use mine if you deem it suitable.

Thanks AP.That would be great.

Terry.

Moe Norman
2nd February 2006, 08:10 PM
mines available to you also if required.

i'm actually playing at indro tomorrow if you want me to leave it with tim or snapper.

Jarro
2nd February 2006, 08:10 PM
i'll borrow it if that's ok ;)

AndyP
2nd February 2006, 08:15 PM
I'm playing with ThomMoe on Sunday, so if he brings it along, I could have both bags available for Terry to pick up if that works.

terryand
2nd February 2006, 08:16 PM
I'm playing with ThomMoe on Sunday, so if he brings it along, I could have both bags available for Terry to pick up if that works.

Sounds like a plan.

Terry.

Jarro
2nd February 2006, 08:18 PM
thanks AndyP and Moe :smt023

Moe Norman
2nd February 2006, 08:19 PM
done.

I'll bring mine Sunday.