PDA

View Full Version : New club

BrisWesty
20th September 2007, 01:57 PM
Received my subscription for Caboolture the other week. Has now gone up to $675. Given I only played 17 comp rounds that record on golflink (I try not to play 4 ball) at Caboolture in the last 12 months, I reckon I ought to look elsewhere. I'm playing a similar number elsewhere too.

Any suggestions folks? Woodford is about $385 at the moment.

Jarro
20th September 2007, 01:58 PM
Why not opt for the Robina mega-deal like a few others here have done ?

BrisVegas
20th September 2007, 02:02 PM
where do you live? Is that the nearest/most convenient club?

BrisWesty
20th September 2007, 02:05 PM
Live at Caboolture. Bribie is about 30 mins. Woodford about 15.
The beauty of Caboolture for me was being able to play a QUICK 9 or 18 before work 7-8 months of the year. That's going to be tougher at a different club.

Am thinking about Robina too. Dropped them a line this morning.

AndyP
20th September 2007, 02:09 PM
Robina or Woodford seem to be your best options. I'll be going to Robina, but haven't followed it up yet.

BrisVegas
20th September 2007, 02:10 PM
$675 is still pretty reasonable and it's the closest club to you. I think your drive times to Woodford and Bribie are ambitious. Bribie especially!

If you play twice a month at caboolture it's less than $30 a game. Pretty good considering you can "belong" to a club and participate in all the honour board events etc...

PeteyD
20th September 2007, 02:16 PM
can you put a value on the quick 9-18 before work? Main reason I am sticking with Redland Bay is the freedom to use the course and it is 5 minutes up the road.

markTHEblake
20th September 2007, 03:03 PM
Received my subscription for Caboolture the other week. Has now gone up to $675.

$675 is cheap, I am jealous, I pay $1000 for a course that is not as good.

Dont forget there is more to the golf club than the price, unless your planning on making Ozgolf your only golf club, dont do the Robina thing.

You cant be a real golfer if your not planted in a golf club. You can read all the golf books you like, but if your not active in a club you will be a lost soul on the golf course.

Grunt
20th September 2007, 03:17 PM
Have to agree with you MTB.
I seem to have trouble playing other courses. I have inquired about membership at Wallacia for next year. It will give me a club that I can play regularly and also a club that is on the improve. G69 has told me that it could be one of the best in a few years once the work is complete.

AndyP
20th September 2007, 03:22 PM
With my country/mega membership, I know that my handicap is global as opposed to a home course handicap like you find with some golfers.

BrisVegas
20th September 2007, 03:26 PM
With my country/mega membership, I know that my handicap is global as opposed to a home course handicap like you find with some golfers.

zing! :shock:

Fishman Dan
20th September 2007, 03:28 PM

You sound like a liberated man. How far ahead in the OzGolf POTY are you?

And how many club championships have you contested lately? I know what I'd rather participate in ;)

PS - Self-confessed home club golfer here.

markTHEblake
20th September 2007, 03:28 PM
Yeah Andyp, you definitely have an unfair advantage on Ozgolf days as your handicap already accounts for the curse. I propose that you need to play off a 3/4 handicap to make things fair

AndyP
20th September 2007, 03:40 PM
I wasn't bragging, I'm saying that my handicap isn't lower because of playing the same course all the time. CobraSS would confess that his handicap doesn't travel very well away from Woodford.

I've played 3 club champs in five years thanks, Fish.

oz
20th September 2007, 03:48 PM
I think it is important to play a variety of courses, but I do enjoy having a home club where I can always get a round, or sneak out for a few practice holes after work. I play most of my golf between 3 courses ATM, and throw in a "traveller" every couple of months, when I can.

FWIW - If you use the option of a few quick holes at Caboolture, BW, I reckon it is probably worth the extra cabbage.

goughy
20th September 2007, 04:40 PM
I haven't played much at my club this year at all. Maybe not even 6 times this year. But I love being a member of a club. Don't know why, just do.

Of course, my fees are like $370 a year so I can't complain.

If I lived in Brisbane, I'd consider one of the mega memberships, for the simple reason of cost and availability of clubs for open comps.

Courty
20th September 2007, 05:09 PM
Self-confessed home club golfer here.

That's been fairly evident recently. :p

Moe Norman
20th September 2007, 07:32 PM
Westy

1. Why do you avoid 4balls? They're great fun
2. You've had 17 comp rounds, but also sneak in a quick 9 before work often? Unless you're going to sneak on for that quick 9, the 17 recorded comp rounds aren't really represenative of the value you get out of your membership $

As for home club handicaps, playing the same course every week doesn't make you hit it any better.

BrisVegas
20th September 2007, 07:51 PM
As for home club handicaps, playing the same course every week doesn't make you hit it any better.

Amen to that brother! :smt023

AndyP
20th September 2007, 08:06 PM
It helps you hit to the right places and make the right decisions though.

goughy
20th September 2007, 08:11 PM
Maybe some of ya's. I'm not observant enough to even get the hang of my own course, many years down the track!

Grunt
20th September 2007, 08:36 PM
Also confidence at a club you play regularly does help.

Rusty
22nd September 2007, 01:07 PM
playing a home club often's gotta help with green reading. my Mum always knows exactly how hard and how much break when we play her home club Beerwah.

AndyP
22nd September 2007, 01:38 PM
playing a home club often's gotta help with green reading. my Mum always knows exactly how hard and how much break when we play her home club Beerwah.I never had any chance in that matchplay, did I?

Rusty
22nd September 2007, 01:55 PM
let it go, let it go...

i swear she never whispered in my ear at all.

markTHEblake
22nd September 2007, 03:44 PM
how much break when we play her home club Beerwah.

Its not difficult to read a lawn bowls green.

Grunt
22nd September 2007, 06:39 PM
Have to agree with you MTB.
I seem to have trouble playing other courses. I have inquired about membership at Wallacia for next year. It will give me a club that I can play regularly and also a club that is on the improve. G69 has told me that it could be one of the best in a few years once the work is complete.

Spoke with the club today and was told membership fees were being restructured to align with Panthers. The guy in the pro shop was not sure what that meant but told me the current rate was just over $500 a year.

Moe Norman
23rd September 2007, 04:31 PM
It helps you hit to the right places and make the right decisions though.
doesn't matter where you play, you still need to do this.

AndyP
23rd September 2007, 04:57 PM
I don't understand you argument against a home course handicap.

Moe Norman
23rd September 2007, 06:43 PM
there's no argument. It's a myth.

A handicap is an AGU handicap, its determined by a range of things such as CCR and ACR etc etc

Probably a myth thats perpetuated by nomad golfers ;)

AndyP
23rd September 2007, 07:50 PM
So you're saying that having knowledge like distances that you need to carry, sides of the fairway/green that are safe to miss, being used to the speed of the greens, etc on a course makes absolutely no difference to the score you shoot?

You know these things on a home course, and don't when playing away.

Maybe we should change our matchplay rules from playing matches at a neutral venue, since it doesn't make any difference?

Moe Norman
23rd September 2007, 08:20 PM
wasn't aware there were any matchplay rules.

Obviously all these things matter on your first visit to a club, but beyond that your handicap isn't 'better' just by playing your home club each week.

It might be better because you actually play golf every week, but there is nothing to suggest that a 10 marker who plays 30 games a year at his home club and 5 somewhere else isn't as good as a 10 marker who plays 35 games a year and 30 of them are at different courses.

goughy
23rd September 2007, 08:30 PM
I suck everywhere! Problem solved..

AndyP
24th September 2007, 03:44 PM
Robina Woods Mega Membership is up to a whopping $139 now.

PeteyD
24th September 2007, 03:54 PM
Ripoff!!

AndyP
26th September 2007, 08:45 PM
Yet another OZgolfer joined Robina Woods today. Me! :cool:

I know that they processed the payment today and the membership card will be available by next week, but does anyone know (especially the other RW members) what sort of turnaround time is typical for them to have my handicap set up in golflink?

Eag's
26th September 2007, 08:48 PM
Yet another OZgolfer joined Robina Woods today. Me! :cool:

I know that they processed the payment today and the membership card will be available by next week, but does anyone know (especially the other RW members) what sort of turnaround time is typical for them to have my handicap set up in golflink?

Mine was all done and ready to go within 3 days when I first joined.
I only just payed me renewal yesterday :)

markTHEblake
26th September 2007, 08:52 PM
when we have the Gold Coast v Brisbane Pennant competition will Brisbane have any players left?

AndyP
26th September 2007, 08:53 PM
Mine was all done and ready to go within 3 days when I first joined.
That's good to hear. I hope it's the same for me, otherwise entering in this Caboolture comp in a couple of weeks time could be painful.

Moe Norman
26th September 2007, 10:01 PM
your old golf link # etc will remain active until your new one is activated, so you should be fine either way.

AndyP
20th October 2007, 01:20 PM
So much for getting the golflink history transferred across. :roll:
Old (http://www.golflink.com.au/HandicapHistory.aspx?golflink_no=4131802053)
New (http://www.golflink.com.au/HandicapHistory.aspx?golflink_no=4071369379)
This got done after ringing them too. No history and the old one still alive. ](*,)

Now I need to organise getting my last score put in.

If only we had a nice nationwide system that could do most of this automatically..........

markTHEblake
20th October 2007, 01:41 PM
i have never heard of anyones history being transferred over.

I wouldnt think the old one would die, until your old club did this.

Despite what we seem to think, handicaps records are still maintained by your home club.

AndyP
20th October 2007, 01:48 PM
i have never heard of anyones history being transferred over.
Click on Moe's. New club, but all the history.

markTHEblake
20th October 2007, 02:35 PM
Oh, obviously there is two ways of doing this, a transfer, or just start a new one.

Still its the bloke at the club that did it, not the system i suppose.

Moe Norman
20th October 2007, 02:49 PM
AP - wen I first joined Robina Woods they had trouble with the transfer concept.

Eventually after about 5 phone calls, they managed to fix it. But then a week later half my history randomly vanished. I wanted to keep it because I had history stretching back to 2001 which included a 69 off the stick on the East at Indoooroopilly !

AndyP
20th October 2007, 03:17 PM
I wanted to keep it because I had history stretching back to 2001 which included a 69 off the stick on the East at Indoooroopilly !But Golflink only shows 2 years, doesn't it?

BrisVegas
20th October 2007, 05:42 PM
mine has history on it from 3 past clubs, ie. City GC, Robina & Brookwater.

Moe Norman
20th October 2007, 08:07 PM
But Golflink only shows 2 years, doesn't it?
previously you could look at your entire history, not sure now.

shazza_rs
20th October 2007, 08:12 PM
golflink keep records for 5 years but only 2 years viewable

Andrew
20th October 2007, 09:02 PM
Andy,

Well done on making the change.

One problem you may have is that you now have 2 different Golflink numbers. This may mean you end up with 2 different handicaps.

How long has your old membership got until it runs out? You may have to call them & tell them that you have nominated RW as your home club.

AndyP
20th October 2007, 09:26 PM
The old one has ran out. Looks like I have some more calls to make.

Moe Norman
20th October 2007, 10:11 PM
now the old one is lapsed, your history is gone mate.

For the transfer to occur, it needs to be a live golflink #

Robina were too slow, while Nambour were too fast!

AndyP
21st October 2007, 08:12 AM
No, the old membership has lapsed, not the golflink....yet.

CobraSS
21st October 2007, 09:17 AM
$675 is still pretty reasonable and it's the closest club to you. I think your drive times to Woodford and Bribie are ambitious.

Yeah it is definately more like 16 minutes Caboolture to Woodford................
:mrgreen:

CobraSS
21st October 2007, 09:26 AM
Oh Briswesty 2008 Membership fees likely to be $410 $180 nom, nom $75 if you join in Dec, Jan or Feb.

CobraSS
21st October 2007, 09:37 AM
Also we are going to introduce pay by month (via direct debit authority) membership as well, dependent on being passed at AGM in late Nov.

AndyP
21st October 2007, 10:02 AM
Westy bit the bullet and gave Caboolture one more year to get their act together. I believe a nastygram was sent to the committee as well.

goughy
21st October 2007, 12:48 PM
So what do you do here AP? I'd be interested in the general opinion. Your golflink says 10.6, and I'm guessing that's what you club says. To me that's what it is until your club or golflink says different.

On the other hand you know it should be less if some clubs could pull their fingers out and do their job right.

I'm not picking on AP here. I'm just wondering what the opinions of the masses are in this case!

AndyP
21st October 2007, 08:22 PM
I'll be making sure it is reduced, because I want it lower. However, if I was a burglar, why wouldn't I just leave it as is?

goughy
21st October 2007, 08:30 PM
Oh, I know AP. Just wondering what people would think should be done say if your hc is not reduced by your next comp game! Just wondering really. I would say go by your golflink; if your club isn't keeping it up to date and another club isn't sending cards in what can you do? Especially if you are checking up on things.

And like you, lowering my hc is more important to me than winning. There was a time when that single figure hc was all encompassing to me.

AndyP
21st October 2007, 08:34 PM
I'll be pretty busy until after the Champs weekend, and mightn't get around to it, so I might just have to play off 11 until then.

BrisWesty
22nd October 2007, 09:21 PM
Westy bit the bullet and gave Caboolture one more year to get their act together. I believe a nastygram was sent to the committee as well.

I would not be so mean spirited as to send a "nastygram". Gave credit where credit was due. But did put them on notice, said that some members have moved, some are moving, and some are contemplating moving because of the ongoing fee increases.

Off 11. AndyP, you burglar!

markTHEblake
22nd October 2007, 09:36 PM
but if a bunch of members leave that will force the club to increase membership more?

BrisWesty
22nd October 2007, 09:55 PM
Could be a bit "law of diminishing returns" MTB. Kind of like taxation. How many feathers can you pluck off the turkey before it cracks it with you.

If they keep the price down, they run the chance of retaining members and potentially getting additional members. If they bump the price up they risk losing members at a faster rate.

I'm noticing that there seem to be far more gaps in the tee off sheets than there used to be. Certainly feels like less people on the course too. Even monthly medal isn't always booked out.

Moe Norman
23rd October 2007, 08:01 AM
and if they leave the fees low and struggle to keep the course in the condition expected by members, they'll also leave?

BrisWesty
23rd October 2007, 03:05 PM
I hear what you're saying Moe, but they may be able to get a bit both ways if they keep the price down. Additional members (who don't play every week) and larger fields. If they get more members who don't play, they still get the use of the fees.

OK here's a copy of the letter to the committee. What they do with it is their choice.

"I am writing to express my concerns regarding the continuing yearly incremental increases in membership fees.

Please understand I am not writing this letter as a complaint. I really enjoy being a member at Caboolture. It is an excellent course. I have seen improvements in facilities and course quality over the last 5 years, despite some challenging climatic conditions. The staff and members are very welcoming, and I have no qualms inviting family, friends and other colleagues here to play or dine. I've had no problems recommending Caboolture as a club to join.

Furthermore, I believe Caboolture should be congratulated for retaining Saturdays as a medley day as this allows couples to participate in a competition together should they so desire. I'd be thrilled to do this with my wife or daughters if they chose to take up golf. I understand we have actually gained members for this reason, as at this time there are few opportunities around Brisbane for mixed competition on a Saturday.

Paying $675 a year for membership when there are other alternatives available is however causing me to evaluate the worth of my membership, given that I can't play every week. The cost of membership appears to be rising at a rate higher than CPI.

Woodford's membership is approximately $400 a year. Even with the initial nomination fee of $180, their overall yearly fee is less than Caboolture's. Other alternatives that still enable retention of an AGU handicap include the Mega membership deal with Robina Woods of $139 for a year (but a subsequent cost of $49 a round with cart when playing there). This enables a member of Robina Woods to play at other clubs at a visitor rate.

At this point I have chosen to retain my membership with Caboolture primarily because of the convenience of being able to play 9 or 18 holes before or after work, or bring my daughters out to the putting green. This would not be as easy at Woodford, or as a Mega member. If the price continues to rise beyond CPI, I'm likely to go elsewhere, despite the reduced convenience.

I'm aware of former members who have chosen to go elsewhere, not because of a falling out with the club, but simply because Caboolture is becoming less affordable. That way they could remain a member of a club, retain a handicap and use the balance of the money saved to either cover other expenses or play more golf. I know of other members who are seriously considering their membership options and I believe the committee needs to be aware of this sort of information.

I trust this letter will be taken in the spirit it is intended. Should you require any clarification about this matter, please contact me on ..."

Moe Norman
23rd October 2007, 03:10 PM
I would bin it.

You're a member, not a customer. Comparing it to Mega Membership would make any self respecting committee member toss it in the bin.

The Woodford comparison is fair, but nonetheless Caboolture is a better course.

Do you attend AGM's as a voting member when these price increases are floated?

Provided that you don't have additional fees, I personally believe $675 is quite reasonable to be a member at Caboolture, in fact I'm surprised its not more than that.

Don't mean to have a go, but its a golf club - when you start quoting hcp maintenance options at them, they would probably feel you are really no longer in thei target market anyway.

markTHEblake
23rd October 2007, 03:23 PM
I have been through this before, was paying $800-900 a year in the 80s & 90s and going up every year, and this was hugely expensive for a country course. Then the occasional levy to raise funds for stuff.

Managing the financials for a Non Profit club where the major revenue is membership is a really difficult concept for the general members to understand.

Not saying you dont, but most members feel that the club 'owes them' when in fact it really is the other way around.

BrisWesty
23rd October 2007, 04:33 PM
Moe,

Beg to differ.

I am a member. As a consumer of the club's services I am also a customer. It is recognised that membership has become a more competitive market. Much of the exclusivity of a golf membership (barring sandbelts etc) has disappeared over the last 20-30 years. There are other clubs who have lower membership fees. I could have referried to Pine Rivers but chose not to because Woodford is a better comparison.

I chose to stay, but in doing so provided the letter to flag the issues with the committee for their information. For example, with 500 members @ $675, total fees would be $337,500. If the fees go up to $725, they can get away with losing 34 members and not losing any money (CPI notwithstanding). Understand there's always the need to try to do more with less.

Blakey mentioned the difficulty of running a club. He's right, as a committee member, how do you enable the club to maximise bang for a buck?

I praised them on things I thought they were doing well.

If they choose to do nothing that's their prerogative. However it's better I say something and give them the opportunity to address the issue, than slink out the back door and leave them scratching their heads wondering where their members have gone.

I'm aware Mega membership is a different entity, but it is still an alternative product, so it got a mention. After all, even some Ozgolfers have it. ;-)

CobraSS
23rd October 2007, 04:48 PM
The Woodford comparison is fair, but nonetheless Caboolture is a better course.

bullshit

Moe Norman
23rd October 2007, 04:49 PM
you are a member, the club is run by members. Have your say when it counts.

Grunt
23rd October 2007, 04:51 PM
you are a member, the club is run by members. Have your say when it counts.

Most clubs are Moe, but not all.

Moe Norman
23rd October 2007, 05:31 PM
this one is.

PeteyD
23rd October 2007, 08:32 PM
and here I thought Cobra was going to give us a management committee view on the argument ;)

AndyP
24th October 2007, 08:21 PM
So much for getting the golflink history transferred across. :roll:
Old (http://www.golflink.com.au/HandicapHistory.aspx?golflink_no=4131802053)
New (http://www.golflink.com.au/HandicapHistory.aspx?golflink_no=4071369379)
This got done after ringing them too. No history and the old one still alive. ](*,)

I rang them (spoke to a different person) at about 4 this afternoon, and it's all fixed. Old golflink dead, new one with the full history.:D

I guess I should get that last card in now. ;)

Jarro
25th October 2007, 06:43 AM
Did you ask them about the missing Nudgee Plate card ?

AndyP
25th October 2007, 08:13 AM
Why would I ask a club I wasn't a member at, at the time, about a card that Nudgee GC obviously didn't hand in?

Jarro
25th October 2007, 08:19 AM
perhaps i should've added a ;) at the end of my post to make it a bit clearer.

AndyP
30th October 2007, 10:10 AM
You'll all be happy to know that my handicap is fixed now, so it will be 9 for the Champs.

It's strange that I asked for the amendment last Wednesday, and it only went through now. Maybe the RW handicapper processes all the cards manually sent in on the Tuesday or something.

BrisVegas
30th October 2007, 10:14 AM
well, officially then.... Congratulations on making single figures Andy!

That's something that many golfers never achieve. :cool:

Eag's
30th October 2007, 10:32 AM
well, officially then.... Congratulations on making single figures Andy!

That's something that many golfers never achieve. :cool:

Yep well done Andy :smt023
I was once of single figures a long, long time ago :smt087 and I am going to get there again some day ;)

AndyP
30th October 2007, 10:38 AM
Thanks. I didn't think I'd get there for some time, and it's going to be tough to stay there, considering I've only played to 9 or less seven times in the last two years. And I'm only 2 rounds away from going out to 10, but I'll just keep doing what I'm doing.

Won't Ping irons knock another 2 shots off?

terryand
30th October 2007, 10:40 AM
Thanks. I didn't think I'd get there for some time, and it's going to be tough to stay there, considering I've only played to 9 or less seven times in the last two years. And I'm only 2 rounds away from going out to 10, but I'll just keep doing what I'm doing.

Won't Ping irons knock another 2 shots off?

Show off, I wish :oops:

Terry.

Courty
30th October 2007, 05:37 PM
You'll all be happy to know that my handicap is fixed now, so it will be 9 for the Champs.

If I play my cards right, so will mine. 8)

AndyP
30th October 2007, 05:45 PM
If I play my cards right, so will mine. 8)I can't wait to start giving you advice on all things golf. :roll:

Courty
30th October 2007, 05:47 PM
Feel free. Whether I listen to it will be a different matter. ;)

BrisVegas
27th November 2007, 09:17 AM
Are there any deals around at the moment for Brisbane club memberships? Looking for a more traditional membership, where I can play Saturday comps and possibly pennants later on if I improve...

Living on the westside of town, Gailes, Oxley, Brisbane, Ipswich, Wolston Park, Karana Downs, Hills would be the closest to me, but open to suggestions.

I have considered rejoining City GC as a country member, but the 1.5 hour drive for a regular game is a bit much.

PeteyD
27th November 2007, 09:35 AM
Lgan City is cheap, just dow nthe motorway and I think someone from here works there ;) I would think Gailes would be the best course of those, at least until oxley has some grass on it again.

BrisVegas
27th November 2007, 09:45 AM
Yeah, I'm not a fan of Logan. I wouldn't want to play there every week, that's for sure.

I like Gailes a lot, but not sure what state the club is in financially. I assume that since Labour won the election, the Goodna bypass won't be going ahead, so the course should remain largely intact.

AndyP
27th November 2007, 09:54 AM
Brisbane would be the best of those, not Gailes, but they are completely different price brackets.

Ipswich is probably drier than Oxley.
I don't think I'd want to play at Logan or Karana Downs every week.
I noticed that you left McLeod out of your options too. :p

If Gailes were forced to move, it would be to a swish newly built course I would imagine. So it could be worthwhile getting in early? It's definitely worth investigating though.

BrisVegas
27th November 2007, 09:57 AM
yeah, I was hoping that our architect in residence would have the inside scoop on Gailes' future. McLeod is a chick's course. Not interested.

PeteyD
27th November 2007, 10:12 AM
I was considering that BV is a starving IT employee and would not want to fork out the noms fees for Brisbane. Besides we already have a resident member of Brisbane.

AndyP
27th November 2007, 10:19 AM
I was considering that he listed it as an option. ;)

Gailes have 'Try before you buy' for 3 months at $190. It would be a good chance to suss out the club, and maybe hear any rumours about their movements too.

Maybe billybaub could find something out too, since his work is based there.

PeteyD
27th November 2007, 10:22 AM
That's a pretty good option.

BrisVegas
27th November 2007, 10:28 AM
I was considering that BV is a starving IT employee and would not want to fork out the noms fees for Brisbane.

Spot on peteyd. Noms are the reason I won't be joining Brookwater any time soon. I believe it's $3k ish at Brisbane also, so is probably too much, despite the reasonable $1700pa subs. I have a hunch that Brookwater will completely change it's structure in a few years time, much like a few other courses that have tried to go high-end and private but ultimately don't get the numbers they want. So, I still think that I'll join Brookwater at some point down the track, maybe 3-5 years. It's just too convenient to go past.

I was all set to join City again until a few days ago. But then I thought i'd hardly ever drive back for a Saturday comp/monthly medal etc. So, I'd only be joining City for the chance to play in the Club Champs. One thing I've enjoyed about the past year or so at Brookwater is that regular Saturday game, so that's something that I'd like to continue with. I still want to play at least one ozgolf game per month (same as last year), but I do enjoy the regularity of a weekly game.

markTHEblake
27th November 2007, 12:18 PM
Are there any deals around at the moment for Brisbane club memberships? Looking for a more traditional membership, where I can play Saturday comps and possibly pennants later on if I improve

I suggest go visit them all, tell them you are looking for a club to join. You will/should get a grand tour of the place, and ask if you can play in the Sat Comp to see what the atmosphere is like.

In the 'old days' it would have been the club Captain that would host you and you would never pay a green fee.

Personally if the club had a great atmosphere after the main members comp I would join it. Lets face it, if your going to join a club just because of the course and not get involved, you are not going to be happy there.

Moe Norman
27th November 2007, 08:22 PM
If you are serious about Brisbane, get on your bike now. The noms are soon to go up, subs will remain the same apart of standard CPI increase each year.

Considering what the other two 'like' clubs charge for noms, get all over it.

(can be paid over 2 years also)

Moe Norman
27th November 2007, 08:24 PM
Oh, and as MTB said - the club is important. BGC is a good members club without, thats one of the reasons I gave RQ the flick for it at the last minute, along with cost and location.

We get in the 6:30 group each saturday and I'm home before 11, even with a stop in the clubhouse after the game.

BrisVegas
27th November 2007, 10:42 PM
That's a good deal Moe. I think the shortlist is:

City - cheapo option, play ozgolf open days and the City club champs,
Gailes - mid range option, play regular sat comp and honour boards etc.
Brisbane - same as for Gailes, but nicer club and course (probably out of my price range for now).

Moe Norman
27th November 2007, 10:53 PM
Vegas,

Think of it as an investment. If you join the club, its probably for life. When you consider someone like yourself will probably golfing for at least another 30 years - where would you rather do it?

I haven't regretted it one bit since joining, great bunch of members, the course is 'ok' once you get used to some of the pretty ordinary stuff, the facilities are good, there is no trouble getting a game and its 100% private. I haven't had one comp round get anywhere near 4 hours yet, even in a shotgun!

If you don't do it now, it will only get further away. Club whispers is that Noms will double in the next 18 months, to get more in line with other clubs. They were very understanding of the monetary situation - I chose to pay over 2 years which was offered straight up without me even enquiring - they may let you do it for longer...no idea.

Gailes would be a good option for the possibility of a brand new course, but the condition isn't something I'd be prepared to play every Saturday and walking up that 2nd drives me nuts!

Of course, it's still a 20min drive for you, one of the main factors for me was that Brisbane is a 2 min drive and soon to be about 1min 45!

Have you considered Ipswich Golf Club?

AndyP
27th November 2007, 11:09 PM
Have you considered Ipswich Golf Club?When did you last play Ipswich, Moe? You can't write Gailes off for condition (fairways are fine, and greens are inconsistent but used to be good), considering Ipswich's poor condition at the moment.

Moe Norman
27th November 2007, 11:19 PM
Haven't been there in a while - but its probably cheaper than Gailes and maybe the same driving time/distance (?) from Vegas.

They have been bought out by blokes with alot of cash and they are redoing the back 9 as far as I am aware. I'd expect the condition to improve given the cash they are putting in and the work being done to create dams there.

Either way, my reccomendation would be Brisbane. Unless the $ is going to mean one of the kids goes without food - which I highly doubt for a fancy IT guy from the Quake building :)

BrisVegas
28th November 2007, 08:50 AM
IT salaries are often over-estimated by non-IT folks.

Ipswich is horrible and a 30 minute drive for me. Gailes is a much better golf course and is about 12 minutes door to door. I'd really love to join Brisbane, but I think we're planning to stay in the area we live now, so the 20-25 minute drive there would annoy me eventually. I wish we had bought in Yeronga when we had the chance 6-7 years ago....

I got 4 more months to decide.... But i can't stop thinking about the different options.

Moe Norman
28th November 2007, 08:46 PM
If Gailes is only 12 minutes drive - it's a no brainer.

Especially if they are still offering their no noms and $700 subs deal!

BrisVegas
28th November 2007, 08:49 PM
heard it was more like $1200 pa these days. But yes, at $700 it would be a no brainer. billybaub was looking into it for me. He's our "inside man" there now.

goughy
7th December 2007, 06:09 PM
Looked at the cost of joining middle ridge since they have no nomination fee atm. But it's gonna be double city gc's price, and with the amount of golf I play not worth it.

I'd look at one of those mega memberships too, but I'd feel a bit silly doing that when most of my golf is played at city or middle ridge. And 400bucks ain't too bad I spose.

I also like the feeling of being a member of a club.

damoocow
7th December 2007, 11:04 PM
never really considered joining a club until recently - probably instigated by my 10 yo who is golf crazy - is in the back yard before and after school most days doing pitching/chipping practice to the clothesline - he did the old Greg Norman RQ clinics and has been doing the Wantima kids Sunday clinics - so looked at him actually playing at a course [other than the local 9 hole par 3 or pitch and putt] - Keperra have a great juniors program of clinics and jnr comps and subs are $176 - Not bad I thought for a quality course and some decent teaching - looked into 7 day membership for me [would be cool to play lots of school hols with him] - subs are approx $1100 - nom $1000 - upfront payment gets you $250 back in pro shop / food credit or you can pay subs off over 4 years - have always had a soft spot for Keperra - an interesting mix of holes and always good nick - I guess having lots of school hols it would be pretty cool to spend some of that time playing golf !!- actually am enjoying the game more since Kooralbyn - where I realised that I could play a thinking game rather than a totally hacking game !!! - anyway would be keen for my son to spend his coming teenage years more on course than in some mall or running the streets - will make a decision in the coming week I think,

damoocow

Moe Norman
8th December 2007, 10:04 AM
I've been both a nomad and a club golfer on and off for about 10 years now.

I much prefer being a member of a club.

BrisVegas
10th December 2007, 09:38 AM
damo - that Keperra deal sounds great for your son. He'll thank you for it later in life I bet. Go for it.

If my girls show any interest in golf when they're a bit older, I'll be making sure they have the opportunity to belong to a good junior program.