PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Driver Shaft

senecio
18th September 2007, 10:23 PM
I'm looking to experiment with a heavier shaft in my driver.

Anyone got any shafts in the 75-80 gram mark lying around the back of the cupboard they'd like to move on?

I'd be happy to try an old pull-out if there are any available as I'm not really sure how successful my experiment will be, so doing it on the cheap would be good.

As for specs, I'm no gorilla. Around the 100MPH mark with a medium tempo. So a standard stiff-flex is about right on the money.

Oh yeah. Its to go in a J33R (420cc) which is a 0.335 tip if I remember.

Surely someone in Ozgolf land must have something suitable.

Ryan

Courty
19th September 2007, 06:59 AM
I'll have the Fuji ROMBAX TP out of my new Superquad TP available as soon as my new shaft arrives. It's a 75g stiff flex as per here (http://www.taylormadegolf.com/product_detail.asp?pID=168&section=specifications).

BrisVegas
19th September 2007, 08:14 AM
that Rombax of courty's might work. Also, didn't perci have a couple of Japanese X-flex fancy shafts up for sale. They play to an S flex.

senecio
19th September 2007, 08:37 AM
I'll have the Fuji ROMBAX TP out of my new Superquad TP available as soon as my new shaft arrives. It's a 75g stiff flex as per here (http://www.taylormadegolf.com/product_detail.asp?pID=168&section=specifications).

Sounds promising Courty. Forgive my ignorance on Taylor Made equipment, but is this the same shaft that is in the R7 425TP? I've had a swing with one of those (it was definitely the 75gm version) at a demo night and it felt nice for an OEM shaft. In fact that trial was one of the reasons that lead me to thinking about trying a heavier shaft.

What are your thoughts. Would it suit a medium tempo swinger, I see it has a relatively low torque?

Let me know when it might be available and how much you're looking for.

that Rombax of courty's might work. Also, didn't perci have a couple of Japanese X-flex fancy shafts up for sale. They play to an S flex.

Yeah, I had a look at Perci's offerings and I know that everyone tells me that the Japanese shafts play a little soft to flex, but the X just scares me.

Ryan

BrisVegas
19th September 2007, 09:37 AM
Yeah, I had a look at Perci's offerings and I know that everyone tells me that the Japanese shafts play a little soft to flex, but the X just scares me.

The Japanese guys I know all say they're a full flex softer than stated.

Have you been on a launch monitor lately? I'd have "guessed" your driver swing at higher than 100mph. Your iron swing speed is definitely high to suit stiff shafts.

peter_rs
19th September 2007, 10:34 AM
I think I have a nv 75s you can have to try.

senecio
19th September 2007, 10:50 AM
The Japanese guys I know all say they're a full flex softer than stated.

Have you been on a launch monitor lately? I'd have "guessed" your driver swing at higher than 100mph. Your iron swing speed is definitely high to suit stiff shafts.

Last trip to GCI was about 6 months ago. I was consistently around the 100-103mph mark with the odd swing at 105mph when I was trying to wring its neck. For reference my 5-iron was about 87-89mph and I'm still playing R300's.

I don't think it is the swing speed that scares me away from a stronger flex/low torque shaft, its the tempo. Two of the more popular shafts at the moment (V2 and the VS Proto) feel like boards to me as I can't load them up.

senecio
19th September 2007, 10:54 AM
I think I have a nv 75s you can have to try.

Pete, does the NV75 play any different to the 65? That is what is currently in the Bridgey and I hit it too high. Therefore the experiment with a heavier shaft.

If it plays different to the 65 I might give it a go.

scarfie1
19th September 2007, 10:58 AM
I've heard the nv 75 is a completely different animal to the 65.

peter_rs
19th September 2007, 11:39 AM
the NV75 has a lower ball flight due to the stronger tip.

I will check where the shaft is and make use the tip is good.

billybaub
19th September 2007, 12:48 PM
ive got my bridgestone with a 70g vs proto in it

you can have that for a while if you like...i found the vs heaps better than the nv even tho similar weights.

playing with a macgregor mactec tour at the moment so if you want my to bring it out for you on sat, just let me know

senecio
19th September 2007, 01:18 PM
ive got my bridgestone with a 70g vs proto in it

you can have that for a while if you like...

Thanks for the offer Dan, but as I said earlier. I've tried a VS Proto and it just didn't suit me.

I might hit my driver too high at the moment but I reckon I'd struggle to get that driver of yours off the ground.:oops:

billybaub
19th September 2007, 01:21 PM
I had that issue at the start
Now its good...should be good thought becuase its a 10.5

You will have to try the mactec tour i have at the moment
it has a harrison mugen in it...the ball flight is fantastic

Courty
19th September 2007, 05:13 PM
Sounds promising Courty. Forgive my ignorance on Taylor Made equipment, but is this the same shaft that is in the R7 425TP?

I'm not sure, but on the TM site it gives the same specs as the 425TP.

What are your thoughts. Would it suit a medium tempo swinger, I see it has a relatively low torque?

My tempo is anything but quick, and I hit it fine, but the stiffer tip is keeping the trajectory lower than I would like. If you want to keep your ballflight down a bit, than this would probably work. I'm replacing it with an x-flex with soft tip (similar shaft to the one in my 510TP).

Let me know when it might be available and how much you're looking for.

I have an order in for the new shaft and some grips from the US, but the grips are on backorder, so I don't expect the order to arrive for a couple of weeks. I'll have the shafts swapped within a day or so of the new one arriving. I'm a little unsure what these shafts are worth, but I've been told $150 isn't unrealistic. That said, feel free to PM me if you want to talk turkey.