PDA

View Full Version : Need help with xps document!!

goughy
17th September 2007, 10:10 PM
Can anyone give me a hand with my problem? I have an xps document on my laptop which I need to print. But we can not get our printer working from my laptop. The printer is connected to another computer, and it uses a serial cable so I can't just connect the printer directly to my laptop.

I've tried to open the document on our other computers but it just doesn't happen. IE7 on any other computer doesn't open it, though it does on my laptop.

I need to get this document printed and mailed in the next day or 2. Is there anyone who would be able to convert this to another format (pdf, msword, whatever) so I can print this out.

Thanks!

markTHEblake
17th September 2007, 10:40 PM
On the computer the printer is connected to, go to Printers, right click on the printer and choose sharing.

Now go to the laptop, and go to Printers, choose Add Printer, and select network printer and follow your nose from there to click through the steps.

BTW this assumes you already have File sharing working between the two computers, if not we gotta backpedal a couple of steps first.

p.s. what the heck is an XPS document goughy?

markTHEblake
17th September 2007, 10:43 PM
Ok, you can get a standalone viewer to run on your other machine too.http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b8dcffdd-e3a5-44cc-8021-7649fd37ffee&DisplayLang=en

goughy
17th September 2007, 10:49 PM
Buggers me blakey!

All sharing should be on because all 2 other computers on the network (not including the one conected to the printer) can print no probs. Tonight I can't find any other computers on the network. Yesterday they were all there, including the printer, but whenever it tried to print it stopped responding. I'm just about totally over vista right now.

When I tried to print the first time I didn't take notice of what printer it was printing too, and it turned out to be 'xps printer' or something. It created a document about 270kb. I can re-open it using ie7 on my laptop, but no other computer appears to be able to open it so far. When I open it I can't save it to any other format either.

When I try to open it using xps viewer, low and behold, the program just doesn't work!

goughy
17th September 2007, 10:53 PM
I also wonder if I'm having problems because I'm trying to get a vista basic machine to talk to xp machines! Dang it!!!!

markTHEblake
17th September 2007, 11:00 PM
News just in: XPS is a new type of PDF. Adobe wouldnt let MS include a reader on Vista.

Vista has some sort of network troubleshooting assistance thingy-bob. I suggest you find it and click on stuff. sorry, have never looked at vista except through the eyes of a nob jockey on the other end of the phone, so cant guide you much further than that.

And if yuo had bought a Dell like i told you, they have a 24/7 helpdesk for silly questions..... :-)

markTHEblake
17th September 2007, 11:01 PM
You mean its never worked? :roll:

check that the Workgroup name matches. In XP, thats Control Panel, System, Computer Name.

If it doesnt match the File and Printer Sharing doesnt work.

goughy
17th September 2007, 11:05 PM
The other computers did show up listed as networked. All of them, including the printer. The printer even indicated that it was connected to one of the other computers. But we still couldn't access anything.

And I would have bought a dell had that been an option. It wasn't this time! And I guarantee you it would have had xp on it.

Vista's trouble shootoing assistance thing doesn't work anymore. I shot it, piece of shit it is!!

markTHEblake
17th September 2007, 11:26 PM
Are you getting Internet access with this computer? If yes then go to Start > Run > and type: \\Computer (file://\\Computer)

replace computer with the computer name of any other computer on your network, something cool might happen.

if your not getting internet on this laptop you gotta go to the Control Panel, Networking, find the Local Area Connection Icon and click on stuff, somewhere you should get info regarding what IP address it has.

then call me in the morning. BTW mornng starts at 9am, not some stupid hour.

goughy
18th September 2007, 06:01 AM
Yes. Getting internet access. And as I said, sometimes the other computers on the network show up. And then sometimes I can access them, but not always.

And by 9am I've been at work for 2 hours, so sorry, won't be able to call.

goughy
18th September 2007, 07:33 AM
So I know I've asked this before - but if I make the recovery disk for my computer (vista recovery) then wind my computer back to xp, I can re-install vista at a later date no problems??

markTHEblake
18th September 2007, 12:06 PM
goughy if internet access is always working and your network sharing is intermittent thats kinda hair pulling out time.

what do other nerds think, netbios going berko? Vista trying to be the master thingy or something.

Goughy, turn all your computers off. then turn them on slowly one at a time wth the computer that has the printer attached first.

if this does the trick i know what you gotta do nex, if it doesnt we will do it anyway. got a pencil?

Courty
18th September 2007, 04:50 PM
:-#

;)

kpac
18th September 2007, 05:01 PM
:-#

Couldn't have said it better.

1. Goughy are you sure ther is no usb port in that printer???? if no - you may want to look at a new printer (i'm assuming it's just a basic printer...)
2. Put the bloody xps on a disk/flash drive/whatever and take it to a print shop, have a coffee and a bit of bun, read the first page of the paper and pay your $stuff-all A4 printing cost and avoid the stress mate.

Printers are designed to annoy - getting someone to print things can be worth every cent (and i don't think it's all that expensive...)

Hope that helps mate - i've tried working out printers and sharing and every other bloody option and have reverted to getting most of it done off site = no stress :smt023

goughy
18th September 2007, 06:45 PM
Rob found a way to print it at her work today. So that problem solved.

XP may be coming soon!! We have had zero problems with our network with all other computers. Some wireless, some not. All running through a router and all printing through the main desktop. Heck, even my palm pda has no probs with the network. And all of them set up easy.

The only computer with any issues is running Vista! Any surprises??

markTHEblake
18th September 2007, 06:54 PM
The only computer with any issues is running Vista! Any surprises??

if it is what i think it is, you will have the same problem.

do what i said to do in my previous post.

goughy
19th September 2007, 06:27 PM
goughy if internet access is always working and your network sharing is intermittent thats kinda hair pulling out time.

what do other nerds think, netbios going berko? Vista trying to be the master thingy or something.

Goughy, turn all your computers off. then turn them on slowly one at a time wth the computer that has the printer attached first.

if this does the trick i know what you gotta do nex, if it doesnt we will do it anyway. got a pencil?

I turned everything off. Turned everything on one by one. No difference. Turned everything off. Turned my laptop on first, and it couldn't find our network or internet. Turned on my pda and it found our wireless network no issues. Turned my laptop on and off again and still no wireless. Turned on all the computers one by one and still nothing.

Left all the others on, then restarted my laptop. It found the wireless network this time, but still not the other computers.

Rob wants a go at it tonight. She thinks she can get it going.

I had no probs setting up the wireless network initially, and no probs with the other computers finding each other. Oh well.

markTHEblake
19th September 2007, 09:43 PM
try this,
there is a file called 'hosts' (doesnt have a file extentsion)

it is located win C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

right click on 'hosts' and chose open with notepad.

in the appropriate place enter IP address and the shared name of the computer that has the printer on it, for example

192.168.1.2 sharedcomputer

goughy
22nd September 2007, 02:10 PM
Vista is going in the bin. Putting xp on shortly and will see how that goes!

mikezone13
22nd September 2007, 02:31 PM
Vista is going in the bin. Putting xp on shortly and will see how that goes!

Before you do it make sure you have all the XP drivers for your hardware from the manufacturer... if you're lucky your notebook manufacturer will provide an XP driver bnundle for your model, if not, search on the net as other people may have made a driver bundle for you to download.

goughy
22nd September 2007, 03:08 PM
Was gonna check out the toshiba website shortly. I'm sure they'll be somewhere.

mikezone13
22nd September 2007, 03:28 PM
Was gonna check out the toshiba website shortly. I'm sure they'll be somewhere.

Don't be so sure... I nearly bought a Toshiba that the guy at Harvey Norman said would easily be able to have XP installed even though it came with Vista.

I then went online to a few techie websites and found out that for a lot of models (including the one I wanted) manufacturers are not providing XP support and some of the hardware in the Vista notebooks may not even have XP drivers available.

I did manage to find a package (not from the manufacturer) that had all the drivers but decided it was not worth the effort and bought a business focused HP instead with XP installed.

HP and a few other manufacturers that deal mainly with corporate notebooks are ensuring that particular models continue to be released with XP as many corporate environments will remain XP for a long time to come.

Hopefully with a bit of hunting you will find something... not sure of your chances with the Toshhiba website though.

goughy
22nd September 2007, 06:29 PM
If I have to I'll take pot luck with things. I guess I can always put vista back on...

goughy
22nd September 2007, 06:35 PM
OK, so the toshiba website only has vista drivers for mine. How important are all these drivers anyway? Dosen't xp have drivers that may work? Hasn't this turned into a fun topic...

Geeze, all I wanna do is have it network with the other computers!!!

mikezone13
22nd September 2007, 06:56 PM
The drivers are important if you want your hardware to work, display drivers, network (wireless and LAN) sound etc etc...

Search google for your model and xp drivers and see what you find.

goughy
23rd September 2007, 01:55 PM
OK, not a word..... Not a bloody word from anyone!!!! Your life may depend on it.

It took rob all of 3 seconds to tell me I had the wrong workgroup name!!! :oops::oops::oops:

I mean, wot's this workgroup name rubbish anyway. I gave it all the permissions. The internets no issue! Dang bloody workgroup name thingie!!!!

:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

One word, and I may lock this thread down :mrgreen:

btw, it's been 2 weeks trying for me so far. Now you all know why I don't do anything technical with the forum! You can all thank your lucky stars for AP and Clikchic!

mikezone13
23rd September 2007, 02:17 PM
three words....

"You bloody twat" :D;)

goughy
23rd September 2007, 02:52 PM
A much tamer start than I expected! :)

markTHEblake
23rd September 2007, 02:56 PM
It took rob all of 3 seconds to tell me I had the wrong workgroup name!!! :oops::oops::oops:

gee you would think that would have been the first thing someone suggested :roll:

check that the Workgroup name matches. In XP, thats Control Panel, System, Computer Name.

If it doesnt match the File and Printer Sharing doesnt work.

goughy
23rd September 2007, 04:14 PM
Oh shut up! In rob's defence she really hasn't bothered with it for me yet. She just kind of said it over her shoulder.

In my defence........................................... .............. I got nuttin'.

And she reckons she told me a week or so ago too. I don't listen so well, you kind of know!

clikchic
4th October 2007, 09:49 AM
Oh shut up! In rob's defence she really hasn't bothered with it for me yet. She just kind of said it over her shoulder.

In my defence........................................... .............. I got nuttin'.

And she reckons she told me a week or so ago too. I don't listen so well, you kind of know!

For what it is worth, the workgroup name was the FIRST thing I told you goughy and you ignored me... You just shrugged and said 'I don't know'. (which translates to, I have no idea what you are talking about so I will just ignore you and carry on my merry way, if that was, what was wrong the internet wouldn't be working....) :smt120

I was having a bad week or so when you got the darn thing or I would have snatched it out of your hands before you broke it. :lol: :lol:

markTHEblake
4th October 2007, 10:24 AM
Its the first thing i told him too, now thats a worry.

A good husband always respects what his wife says over his mates.
A good ol' aussie bloke always respects what his mate says over his missus.

dunno where that leaves Goughy now, somewhere between gay and divorced i guess.

goughy
4th October 2007, 12:52 PM
.................................................. ....... I got nuttin'.

See above!!