PDA

View Full Version : R5 Dual D type demo at Vic Park

macleod
29th September 2004, 02:12 PM
although i don't really play anymore at the moment, momentary anger at work resulted in a driving range session. i haven't swung a club in anger for over 4 weeks now so what the hell, skymark someone else's i guess.

The R5 Dual's come in the N and D flavours, both 10.5* at vic park. D type R 55 gram shaft, N type S.

D is setup 10 heel - 2 Toe. Neutral has plain backweights only. N sits square from what i could see, i haven't bother to check the R5 site.

I went with the D given my gayfade past.

Look: The club head is substantially longer fore to aft than the Quad's, wider face toe to heel and comparable depth. Overall it looks like someone trod on an R580, big cc overall.

If you don't like a big club behind the ball...well too bad but as usual the black makes it's bum smaller overall.

New grips are a crossline style stock one, much better than the velvet ones of past but i sweat so.....

shaft is a la TP style, red an silver.

Feel: at impact the R5 is noticeably lower pitch than the r7's high "twinkkk", but not like the r500 series sort of powerful soft "schmunckk". Right on the sweetspot hits do retain that feel though from the older series. Powerful feel overall though and not thin sounding at all.

Tech: I haven't really hit many of the new weighted clubs, 3 hits with jarro's now passed over R7 were it. What can i say about the tech...from a professed gay fader....well i actually turned over ball after ball.

My own opinion is the increased visualisation a player gets with the belief the weighting system will produce X ball flight is a powerful catalyst and effector in one. (i say catalyst because lead strips tended fly off drivers eventually eh?...has anyone thrown a TM weight plug yet? :lol:) yes, i know the physics of weight required to change the actual flight but everyone here knows that a draw from me with a driver is like tiger showing humility in loss...it just doesn't happen period...

I haven't done much lately having lost a substantial chiunk of faith and interst in my game but i figured it's like when you don't go ten pin bowling for awhile...you shoot like 210 and then nothing over 80....

Long carry with the draw was almost heartening enough for me to retain my gailes membership.

For vic Park ho's, the preferred carry is oper the 220-230 green, this club was doing this with ridiculous ease. predictable with a solid swing, similar distance. 3 dunlop mobius that was in my batch had the privilege of going the 250 mark in one of those bizarre mega drives...non rangie effect? who knows unless you take you own or get lots o topflite in your bucket.

Forgive-me-i-have-sinned: I know the R series drivers have always offered a ridiculous amount of off centre hit forgiveness. crap swing, crap result, but heel hits going left still carried 175+, toe hits were spookily straight and still carrying onto the green.

i put one hilarious montgomery burns swing on one and it came directly of the tip of the face....soaring dead straight onto the green. Head skaking kind of results really....again remember this is me who cannot put it in the face on a deepbore. "Thas a huuuuge sweetspot" (said a la deuce bigalow)

Distance: As before, long, high carry like the R7. 200-230 carry but you can't see the on course style rsults with the geography..rolling uphill is encouraging though.

Overall: The fact that the weight positioning is more extreme in terms of the depth and length of the club has a few obvious bonuses from the physics POV. the weight plugs are well back and only at the rear companred to the R7.

I must say, if taylormade wasn't so obsessed with etching the faces of the driver so heavily they could go alot thinner a la smt...time will tell. money on when they go smooth face? ;)

I hit the R7 demo there as well but it was set to megafade...i got it straight and the occasional draw but i was enjoying the dual too much to really smack it around.

You want to try it, well off to vic park. Check the price tag, maybe they will go the reduction on the demo club eh?

As i've said before it's nice to just pony up the license and take as many clubs as you like there....and is the perfect solution if you don't have any of your own at lunch.

BrisVegas
29th September 2004, 03:03 PM
Scott!

You're working again??!! :shock: Where at? PM me if you prefer.

Dion

AndyP
29th September 2004, 03:22 PM
Yeah, C'mon Mac. Details.

macleod
29th September 2004, 04:47 PM
6 weeks temp so don't worry guys you can still consider me frictionally unemployed, i am a business anal-yst though...

Jarro
29th September 2004, 09:55 PM
nice review Mac :) makes me want to drive on over to Vic Park right now and have a whack with one of those R5 thingy's .... 8)

.. oh, and i still have my R7 :wink:

macleod
30th September 2004, 07:41 AM
well if anyone is bored at lunchtimes let me know.

i am completely flexible workwise and can come out every day.

also includes beers at caxton, normanby, brekkie creek etc....swan light of course.

gazgolf1
30th September 2004, 12:42 PM
Nice review Scott. 8)

I had a nice mental picture of your Monty Burns swing and you holding the finish and letting fly with a big "Excellent" (in a Monty voice). :wink:

jaster
30th September 2004, 04:38 PM
i am completely flexible workwise and can come out every day.

What the?? Come out...so is it official yet?

Ducky
30th September 2004, 06:03 PM
He's waiting for you to confirm your availability, Jaster.

:lol:

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

jaster
1st October 2004, 06:20 AM
Yeah :!:

macleod
1st October 2004, 09:42 AM
boys boys boys, no fighting over my package, there's plenty for everyone

damoocow
1st October 2004, 09:54 AM
So is this becoming an "adult ' site again ?- methinks we need a PANIC button.
damoocow

Jarro
1st October 2004, 04:48 PM
where's that damn anti-fag button :smt017