PDA

View Full Version : Changes to CCR for Women.

Flowergirl
17th September 2007, 01:22 PM
Thought this may be of interest to you.

A Forum attended by Australia's leading state and national handicapping and course rating officials has initiated a decision to suspend Women's Calculated Course Rating (WCCR) for a trial period of one year. This period will start on 1 October and is to allow for an intensive review of the WCCR process with a view to addressing the flaws in the existing formula.
The National Handicapping & Course Rating Forum instigated this move after agreeing to retain the framework of the current handicapping and course rating system for men’s and women's golf.
Attending the Forum at Yarra Yarra Golf Club, were representatives of each of the Member States, as well as representatives from Golf Australia, Golf Management Australia, and Golf Link.
The two-day review thoroughly analysed each component of a handicapping and course rating system. The aim was to identify the Forum's general preferences and outcomes that would be the basis for moving forward.
A key outcome from the Forum was that the Calculated Course Rating (CCR) option is likely to be the best way forward for Australian golf.
It was agreed that both the men's and women's CCR formulas will be refined and improved.
In particular, the Forum delegates recommended a suspension of the women's CCR process for one year. It was accepted that the current women's formulas were intrinsically flawed as they were not designed by analysing women's data but instead were the result of adopting the men's process.
(During this one-year period, research and analysis of women's handicapping data will be carried out on an unprecedented scale with a view to arriving at a formula which best fits the distribution of handicaps and scores peculiar to women’s golf in Australia.)
The Golf Australia Member State Associations were asked to vote on whether to suspend the CCR process for women’s golf for one year. This process has just concluded with the Member States voting in favour of the recommendation.
Further key details in Q&A format are as follows:
When does the new procedure come into effect?
1 October 2007.
Is it permanent?
No, it is for a trial period of one year.
What is the actual change?
During the one-year period, the AWCR (Australian Women’s Course Rating) must be used for handicapping all Australian women’s competitions.
I look after the handicapping at a club which is on Golf Link. Do I have to make any changes?
No, Golf Link will automatically make all the changes for you.
I look after the handicapping at a club which is not on Golf Link and we are unable to effect the change on 1 October. What should we do?
You will need to make the change as soon as possible after this time.
Does this change have any affect on men’s regulations?
No, it only applies to women’s golf.
Will the allowance for Preferred Lies 'through the green' and Tee Up 'through the green' still apply?
The following stipulation WILL STILL APPLY during the suspension period: “When Preferred Lies ‘through the green’ or Tee Up ‘through the green’ apply, the AWCR must be reduced by 2 strokes.”
This is a temporary change to the Australian Women's Course Rating System but is there any change to the Australian Women's Handicapping System?
This temporary change has no impact on the Australian Women’s Handicapping System (eg to components such as buffer zones).
What will happen at the end of the one-year trial period?
During this one-year period, research and analysis of women's handicapping data will be carried out on an unprecedented scale with a view to arriving at a formula which best fits the distribution of handicaps and scores peculiar to women’s golf in Australia.
If a viable WCCR formula option is devised, this will be presented to Member States for ratification. If a viable WCCR option is not able to be devised, other options will be considered by the Committee.
Who do I contact if I have any further queries?
You should contact your state association or Golf Australia.

AndyP
17th September 2007, 02:13 PM
Does this mean that they have assumed that the system used to calculate the AWCR isn't flawed?

miro
17th September 2007, 02:14 PM
No offence but f..k the women in golf annoy me. The fact that in omst clubs there is a womens committee and handicapper which are separate to the main functions of the club amazes me.

And the above decision -why put something on hold whilst its under review. Just keep it till you have something better the scrap it. This seems to mean no more course rating up or down by a few shots depending on the fields score for the day -just a fixed ACR. This makes no sense at all to me.

Bruce
17th September 2007, 02:32 PM
I thought the issues the girls always had to deal with was their fields not being big enough and so always having to compare via the ACR. Now they want to do that all the time?

It's bad enough they have women who can't play to 45 allowed on the course. 9 for 1 - get ****ed.

3oneday
17th September 2007, 02:38 PM
YOu guys actually read it ? I'm impressed :)

markTHEblake
17th September 2007, 03:48 PM
You guys shoulda seen the womens handicap system before this one, it was a doosy.

Something along the lines of being handicapped according to your best round, and very very difficult for your handicap to go up, ie there was no .1 let outs.

In any case I am seriously concerned that these discussions will start a move towards adopting a slope system. That would be bad news for us, most people cant understand the ACR/CCR let alone introducing Slope as well. The regular whining letters to the Golfer magazine prove this.

Flowergirl
17th September 2007, 11:10 PM
I thought the issues the girls always had to deal with was their fields not being big enough and so always having to compare via the ACR. Now they want to do that all the time?

It's bad enough they have women who can't play to 45 allowed on the course. 9 for 1 - get ****ed.

Now that's a bit rough. What do you mean - not allowed on the course. Yes - they can hold things up a bit - but nowhere near as much as some of you gung ho men who slam ever second shot into the trees or water or out of bounds and you spend most of your time looking in the trees for their balls. That p#sses me off more.
I started off 45 and was happy to score my 9 for 1.

markTHEblake
17th September 2007, 11:32 PM
Women are not slow regardless of handicap, I played a round with mum, and another two ladies. One of them was off 45 and she wasnt slow, even though on the very first hole, she had at least 7 hits to reach my drive, and the other ladies had at least 3 each.

Had to laugh on one hole, she pulled out a wood from a spot closer to the green from where i just hit a sand iron, and flat duffed it nor no more than 10 metres. She then chipped the next shot - yet she had a full set of irons in her bag.... I wonder if she ever used about 6 of them

There is one thing about old women golfers that is a dead set certainty, they dont stuff around like old women.

In fact they should get some 40 handicap old crones into some of these junior elite squads and teach the little schmucks how to play properly.

miro
18th September 2007, 07:56 AM
Women are not slow regardless of handicap, I played a round with mum, and another two ladies. One of them was off 45 and she wasnt slow, even though on the very first hole, she had at least 7 hits to reach my drive, and the other ladies had at least 3 each.

Had to laugh on one hole, she pulled out a wood from a spot closer to the green from where i just hit a sand iron, and flat duffed it nor no more than 10 metres. She then chipped the next shot - yet she had a full set of irons in her bag.... I wonder if she ever used about 6 of them

There is one thing about old women golfers that is a dead set certainty, they dont stuff around like old women.

In fact they should get some 40 handicap old crones into some of these junior elite squads and teach the little schmucks how to play properly.

Agree completely we have a couple of old ducks who hit the ball within about 2 seconds of arriving at it. They know how far they it and they keep hitting until you are in range then stop.

To contrast this we have a few young guns who mark, line up, walk around, re line up etc etc every 1 foot putt they hit. Very annoying.

amanda
18th September 2007, 10:10 AM
FG - interesting reading! The problem when I was at New Brighton was size of fields - the AWCR was 73 - and the few times we had enough to calcluate CCR, it typically went out to 74 or 75.

Mind you - who knows if this new system will be any better!

craignq
2nd April 2009, 01:28 PM
flowergirl
when we adopt the usga method of measurement and slope you will be able to play against men and be competitive not as it is atm on most courses where your net is some 10 shots higher MY hope is this is done asap keep your fingers cross i really am so positive about the system our present system is just not related in any way to women and men playing together

3oneday
2nd April 2009, 02:24 PM
Oh goody, another one with half a keyboard at his disposal :lol:

sms316
2nd April 2009, 03:12 PM
flowergirl
when we adopt the usga method of measurement and slope you will be able to play against men and be competitive not as it is atm on most courses where your net is some 10 shots higher MY hope is this is done asap keep your fingers cross i really am so positive about the system our present system is just not related in any way to women and men playing together
A 73-word sentence. Must be some kind of record (outside of zigwah, that is). ;)

Webster
2nd April 2009, 04:25 PM
why do dem honky biatches need dem dare own rulz?

Russell
2nd April 2009, 11:44 PM

i agree.on saturday comp day i would much prefer to follow a group of ladies than most of the men in my club