PDA

View Full Version : Old School

BrisVegas
15th September 2007, 08:58 PM
I'm putting together a set of retro clubs for a bit of a laugh and I thought it might be cool to get a few of us together who've got some old sticks and have a game. See how much tougher it is without the advantages of modern gear.

I was chatting to Garry Calder at GCI the other day and he goes out occasionally and plays with the old hickory clubs. Now, I'm not that keen, but I reckon the 80's and prior was when the old school gear was at it's best.

ie. no titanium, no graphite, no cavity-backs, no lob wedges, no hybrids, no metalwoods.

Anyone else interested? Blakey - you could use your normal setup. ;)

Fyi, I've got some circa-70's Daiwa Chairman persimmon woods (1.5 & 4 with True Temper steel shafts) and my circa 1980 PGF Aristocrat Tour Blades 3 thru SW. I'm still looking for a suitable putter, but I'm keen on something like a Wilson 8802.

markTHEblake
15th September 2007, 10:10 PM
peripheral weighted clubs were common even in the 70's, ie Status Mk3 but not sure if that directly compares to cavity back.

I am still ropable that I gave away my Ziggy driver, that would have been perfect.

goughy
16th September 2007, 04:39 AM
My concern would be the money I'd have to spend to put together an old school bag! I don't think I have $28.75 lying around ;)

Moe Norman
16th September 2007, 09:02 AM
I have an 8802 Vegas.

I also have a Slazenger Masters putter.

I also have a set of East Bros blades that my grandad gave me ;)

Johnny Canuck
16th September 2007, 09:11 AM
i think this is a great idea. i have always wanted there to be a pro tourney each year that took this stance. it would be great to see how today's top players perform without the benefits of modern technology.

Webster
16th September 2007, 09:25 AM
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b271/gurngunja/Golf195.jpg

Happy to take you guys on with these sweet old baby's..

Bruce
16th September 2007, 09:32 AM
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b271/gurngunja/Golf195.jpg

Happy to take you guys on with these sweet old baby's..

Is there a 7W there?

terryand
16th September 2007, 09:39 AM
I think you will get most of your retro stuff from the $1/club barrel at Cashies :-s

terry.

Courty
16th September 2007, 10:07 AM
What year did the Tommy Armour 845s come out?

Webster
16th September 2007, 10:17 AM
Is there a 7W there?

Driver, 3 wood and 4 wood. They didnt make 7 woods back then...

Coffs_Hacker
16th September 2007, 10:28 AM
My dad still uses his firt set of clubs - Slazenger Skins 1982 model 1wood, 3wood, 5wood and brosnan bulls eye style putter which we used to colour in with marker pen when the paint faded :P

BrisVegas
16th September 2007, 01:27 PM
peripheral weighted clubs were common even in the 70's, ie Status Mk3 but not sure if that directly compares to cavity back.

I am still ropable that I gave away my Ziggy driver, that would have been perfect.

OK I believe you, you'd know better than me. I guess the sort of setup I imagine is persimmon woods and blades. Probably pre-ping putters too with their heel & toe weighting. What's a Ziggy, dare I ask?

Anyway, it's meant as a bit of fun so hopefully there are some others in SEQ that will be keen for a game.

Jack - those Tommy's are very nice. I had the originally persimmon 1.5,3,5 woods that came with my PGF's, but the driver cracked the first time I used it. Damn I wish I had them now, as they were mint.

Moe - how much for the 8802?

I've lost one of my irons, but saw a set on ebay. Almost cheaper to buy a whole new set than a replacement! http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270163067744&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=017

Jarro
16th September 2007, 01:47 PM
If you're fair dinkum, you'd have to use a ball from that era too wouldn't you ?

Might be a bit hard to source one of those puppies :(

mikezone13
16th September 2007, 02:14 PM
If you're fair dinkum, you'd have to use a ball from that era too wouldn't you ?

Might be a bit hard to source one of those puppies :(

I've got a couple of hot dotsin the practcie bag if any needs them? How about play it with a Spalding Tour Edition ball, or a Top Flite of some description... maybe a Titleist balata could get a run.

Jarro
16th September 2007, 02:16 PM
Titleist balata might be the pick of the bunch there Mikeyboy ;)

I've got one in my shag-bag and it feels like a friggin marshmellow :lol:

mikezone13
16th September 2007, 02:27 PM
Titleist balata might be the pick of the bunch there Mikeyboy ;)

I've got one in my shag-bag and it feels like a friggin marshmellow :lol:

Remember the days of 3 or 4 balatas per round... expecially after skulling a wedge through the green and they was a nice deep cut on it.

Webster
16th September 2007, 02:49 PM
What's a Ziggy, dare I ask?

The PGF Ziggy was a persimmon headed driver popular with touring pro's in the late 70's thru to the mid 1980's. They had a round sole plate that looked very funky at the time. Ossie Moore won the 1986 Victorian Open at Yarra Yarra (beating Vaughn Somers by a shot) with one of these drivers in the bag. They were great clubs, but for the good player only. Probably about 180cc in size.

I will see if I can dig up a picture of one of them.

markTHEblake
16th September 2007, 03:00 PM
Ziggy was the nickname of the clubmaker at PGF who singlehandedly made the driver. You couldnt buy one of these off the shelf, it had to be ordered.

There was no markings in the club except PGF on a very plain sole plate, and a Ziggy sticker on the toe, which is obviously lost when the club is refinished, which i did a couple of times. You might end up seeing something like this in a Vinnies for $2 and you would never know how good it is :-)

(after Ziggy retired mid 80's PGF did go into mass production for a short while, thus devaluing the product. But by that time loacl golf club manufaturers were shutting down and using asian foundries anyway)

I got mine in 1983 and the cost was $140. From memory a single golf club cost $50-100 at that time, so it was relatively very expensive.

As most golfers used predominantly Australian made clubs up to the mid 80's the Ziggy was pretty much the premium driver in Australia.

I guess using Jacks description that made me a Tour ho at age of 18.

BTW Jaster has a lefty Ziggy in his possession.

Webster
16th September 2007, 04:13 PM
blakey they were truly a great driver, deep in the face and only for the better player - hard to hit well. Of course, if you had a set of cobra mild steel blades in the bag as well, then really did have the best money could buy back then.

andylo
16th September 2007, 04:25 PM
If more than 3 people are interest I will head down to my one of the Cash Coverter to score the Macgegor set I saw the other day.

markTHEblake
16th September 2007, 04:42 PM
blakey they were truly a great driver, deep in the face and only for the better player - hard to hit well.

All I remember was that it went much further than my previous driver a Status Mk V. I guess I must have been an exceptional talent. :)

Of course, if you had a set of cobra mild steel blades in the bag as well, then really did have the best money could buy back then.

I remember those well, my mate had them, but at that time i had the original Steel Eagles.

Webster
16th September 2007, 05:46 PM
blakey, in about 1988 i was in the Drummonds store at Ringwood and they had a brand new set of Cobra Mild Steel irons in raw finish, like the rusty wedges they made at the time. The most beautiful things I had ever seen, and I have never seen a set since. They wanted $400 for them and I only had $200 on me. I had to catch the train back to Hawthorn and raid the piggy bank, and by the time I got back there the next day they were gone. I have regretted not buying them every day since.

Norman played them for years and reckoned they were the best irons he ever hit. Ogle, Moore and plenty of others had them too. This is the sort of stuff the should re-release to the market.

3oneday
16th September 2007, 05:51 PM
I still have the putter from my first set, which was old when I got them. It is one of those old hockey stick shaped putters and has Reg Whitcombe (I think thats how it's spelt) on it.

I contemplated using today actually, as I found it when I was cleaning my shed yesty 8)

Jono
16th September 2007, 07:57 PM
I've just bought a set of Golfsmith Forged blade heads on Ebay ... I've got some Louisville persimmons at home ... Now, as for the putter ... I've got my dad's Ping Zing from the early 80's. Does that count as old school? Oh, and I suppose I have to leave my 73 degree wedge out of the bag, huh? :lol:

markTHEblake
16th September 2007, 09:43 PM
This is the sort of stuff the should re-release to the market.

I am surprised we dont see many of these old clubs on ebay or in the stores. Its not as if they are biodegradable

I still have the putter from my first set

I still use the putter from my first set. :-s

I've just bought a set of Golfsmith Forged blade heads on Ebay

How old are they, Golfsmith was still selling that model name up to about 2 years ago, but yeah I think they had a really old model as well, pics?

Jono
17th September 2007, 06:35 AM
Blakey,

It's the old model. The one that they used to sell 10+ years ago. Verplank used to play it when he was with Golfsmith.

This one.

http://img483.imageshack.us/img483/677/2048ij1.jpg

I used to own a set and thought they were one of the best feeling blades I ever played. Of course I sold them cheap because the chrome was too shiny ... or something like that. :roll:

When I saw a set of these heads on ebay, I knew it was destiny. :lol:

BrisVegas
17th September 2007, 06:50 AM
Now, as for the putter ... I've got my dad's Ping Zing from the early 80's. Does that count as old school?

nup, the ping zing is too forgiving. use the bullseye.

markTHEblake
17th September 2007, 09:15 AM
Jono, they were still selling those recently, but yeah they were around a long time, and blades really havent changed much for a long time. Not a lot different between those and the Maxfli Australian blades.

Obviously Golfsmith is one of those honest maufacturers that dont change the font on the logo every 6 months and call it a new product.

Brisvegas, read the article in the October Australian Golf Digest, called "The Demise of Shot-making" by Jack Newton. Its pretty much what your on about but from a different angle.

To take a leaf out of both yours and Jacks viewpoints, an 'old school' event may be more practical (and accessable) if we went along with something like this

- no drivers (unless made from wood)
- old balls
- no hybrid irons
- no lob wedges
- max of 12 clubs

BrisVegas
17th September 2007, 09:32 AM
Why 12 clubs? Otherwise, I said basically the same thing in the first post.

I don't think there's much availability of the old balls, so that could be a tough one.

poidda
17th September 2007, 09:39 AM
Why 12 clubs? Otherwise, I said basically the same thing in the first post.

I don't think there's much availability of the old balls, so that could be a tough one.

I've got a practise bag full of balls I haven't touched for 12 years! There's sure to be some beauties in there.

markTHEblake
17th September 2007, 09:43 AM
12 clubs - after you read the article you will understand better :-)
its about being more creative with shotmaking, which is an art lost in todays golf.

when I first started playing most golfers only had 13 clubs. A normal set was 3 woods, and 9 irons ( 3 to 9 + W & SW) and a putter. Anyone that had a 14th was either some sort of chipping club or utility wood like a Little Slammer. Good golfers had a 2 iron.

I figure most golfers will find it difficult to get a decent 1 Wood thats in good conditin and suits them without spending much money. Its going to be fairly labour intensive to reshaft a persimmon head, thats if the clubmaker knows how !. would be just as easy to make everyone use their normal 3 wood, distance should be about the same i think. Hence 12 clubs :-)

BrisVegas
17th September 2007, 09:45 AM
got a link to the article blakey? I'm not a subscriber.

markTHEblake
17th September 2007, 09:59 AM
nah, sorry my webcam is broken.

(I only got the mag for nix at the golf show)

terryand
17th September 2007, 11:12 AM
I'd love to compete here but I have no old shit in my posession.

Your swing counts 8-)

Terry.

dc68
17th September 2007, 12:51 PM
:cry:

poidda
17th September 2007, 12:55 PM
Call me after 3 x back operations and let me know how you're going !

Anyone got an old School one of these? :)

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/31/63093373_5bdc5db0ca.jpg

PeteyD
17th September 2007, 01:08 PM
Maybe need a smaller one of them Poidda!

terryand
17th September 2007, 01:57 PM
Call me after 3 x back operations and let me know how you're going !

See post #38 ^^^

Terry.

mikezone13
17th September 2007, 08:05 PM
While not old old school... still a good set of old style blades...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/TAYLOR-MADE-TOUR-PREFERRED-IRONS-2-PW-STEEL-S300-STIFF_W0QQitemZ110170455566QQihZ001QQcategoryZ1152 80QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

kpac
17th September 2007, 08:14 PM
My mate has the oldest set of maxfli blades i've ever seen.

If anyone is interested let me know - good nick (his old got them off a pro shop when they closed down many years ago!) when i'm there next i'll take a picture they are classics!

BrisVegas
17th September 2007, 08:21 PM
While not old old school... still a good set of old style blades...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/TAYLOR-MADE-TOUR-PREFERRED-IRONS-2-PW-STEEL-S300-STIFF_W0QQitemZ110170455566QQihZ001QQcategoryZ1152 80QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Coffs_Hacker has a set of those for sale actually. He was using them up til he got the CG2's.

markTHEblake
17th September 2007, 08:32 PM
My mate has the oldest set of maxfli blades i've ever seen.

The 'australian blade' is more australian than Dame Edna and Don Bradman combined.

Moe Norman
17th September 2007, 08:36 PM
are they DP 30's kpac?

if so they're not that old, they just look old!

senecio
17th September 2007, 08:49 PM
I'm still looking for a suitable putter, but I'm keen on something like a Wilson 8802.

You're a Titleist man Dion. Surely this is the putter for you. It even comes with the original leather wrap grip.

I think I'll keep this one. It will go nicely with my Cobra baffler blades with their matching 1-1/2, 3 and 5 woods.

Does anyone else think that the modern day hybrids look very similar to an old classic 5-wood?

Ryan

http://usera.imagecave.com/senecio/Golf/IMG_0855_1.JPG

http://usera.imagecave.com/senecio/Golf/IMG_0857_2.JPG

andylo
18th September 2007, 12:01 PM
Okay! Got myself a PGF 1/2 set consist with a 3 wood, 3, 5, 7, 9 iron + a bulleye putter!

I hope this game will actually happen! :D

markTHEblake
18th September 2007, 12:17 PM
PGF what, there's hundreds of different models :-)

andylo
18th September 2007, 12:40 PM
Power Pact

BrisVegas
18th September 2007, 02:58 PM
good work andylo. My persimmons are in the post. Looking forward to it. Although I think I'll need to replace some 20 year old grips before I try and swing these things...

senecio - yep, I've sourced a bullseye.

kpac
18th September 2007, 03:06 PM
senecio: i've got that exact putter
moe: yeah i better check - they sure look vintage - but it could have me fooled

This round would need to take place on a traditional course aswell - no use putting this stone-age gear on some cocos-palm lined resort course....

markTHEblake
18th September 2007, 03:36 PM
This round would need to take place on a traditional course aswell -

Gatton!

senecio
18th September 2007, 04:55 PM
We could play it at The Hills. Lets see if anyone is good enough to hit blade 2-irons into par 4's all day.

Eag's
18th September 2007, 05:08 PM
I used to have a nice set of Brosnan blades but just can't remember what they were? I think they were classics or something similar.
I had the woods to go with them but could never hit the bloody driver well at all :(

Also had the Wilson 8802, loved that putter never should of got rid of it.

Coffs_Hacker
18th September 2007, 05:33 PM
Also had the Wilson 8802, loved that putter never should of got rid of it.

http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8002]

:) :) :)

mikezone13
18th September 2007, 05:37 PM
I'm sure Andrew would recommend a hit at Newcastle... Eags and g69 would be real keen :D

Eag's
18th September 2007, 05:38 PM
I'm sure Andrew would recommend a hit at Newcastle... Eags and g69 would be real keen :D

Oh, please stop Mike, my sides are splitting :roll: :smt075 ;)

andylo
18th September 2007, 07:08 PM
http://picasaweb.google.com/yanchilo/PGFPowerPact

Check out the photos of those balls :D

Most of them have a crack one way or the other.... majority of them are hotdots. They all have those round , distance dimples :) Very funny.

For the clubs themselves.... I still yet to find the sweet spots of the irons but I generally hit them... ok :-p

The wood acutally feel great!! Both off the tee and off the deck. Its probably the only 3 wood I can hit on earth :roll:

I played with those balls... thats the part I am not too sure....

I don't know its the ball are all stuff or what... I have a hard time to launch them with whatever club in da bag.... but when I use modern balls (ProV1 etc..) I have no problem to hit them high.

If its normal that the old ball are harder to hit it higher, I really surprised how the technology help the game easier to play (and majority of us still suck at it).

markTHEblake
18th September 2007, 09:11 PM
Andylo, style of clubhead appears to predate the Status Mk3 which was released in 1972.

Grunt
19th September 2007, 04:20 AM
Would my PING Y-blade putter be old enough?

BrisVegas
19th September 2007, 06:58 AM
Power Pact

Hey Andy. They were my first set of clubs! :smt023 I bought them from Bribie Island Pro Shop in (I think) around 1988. The blades were ok. the woods were plastic I thought. Still, I used to hit the 3 wood ok. It was my go-to club to carry the corner on the 9th at City (old tees obviously). I sold them to a mate and upgraded to the Aristocrats.

EDIT: just looked at the pics of yours. Mine must have been a newer model.

Grunt
19th September 2007, 01:37 PM
I should have kept my MacGregor Blades & Wilson 2 wood 4 Wood, that I had for my first set. Hang I could not have kept them, some arsehole stole them when our house was robbed in 1987

markTHEblake
19th September 2007, 04:40 PM
Andylo, here is the story of your new PGF Clubs, from an aussie collector, who knows all about everything, even more than me.

It is great to hear you and your mates are interested in collecting clubs. Keep it up. Regarding your mates Power Pact clubs, you are right Power Pact was a name used by East Bros pretty well from their inception. However the clubs your mate has are a later model bought out by PGF in the early 1980's.. They are an investment cast iron (unlike earlier forged power pact irons) The woods in that set are what we call Cyclo Wood which was a moulded plastic, PGF later used this in many of their cheaper models. You are right regarding the fact that they don't look as modern as the Status Mk3's. The MK3 and MK5's were years ahead of their time, after that PGF went through a stage relying on some antiquated designs. (this is only Ross' theory) especially with their cheaper clubs, such as the later Nagles and Power Pacts. Consequently PGF's popularity dropped during the 1980's & 90's.
You are right however the first use of Cyclo Wood by PGF was in their Slammer Range in the 1960's. Super Slammer, Grand Slammer, Little Slammer. These were top of the range clubs.. The little slammer holding the title of "the most sold club ever made in Australia." The slammer was the brain child of Tom Crow.. (Australian Amateur Champion) as I have mentioned before. I went looking for some early adds of East Bros Power Pact clubs which I know I have got, but couldn't find at the moment. Please keep in touch Mark, and I will endeavour to send you some more info. If you or your mates ever need any other golf club info please feel free to ring or email, only too happy to help. Regards Ross Baker.

One of the things Ross is referring to is that PGF went downhill in the mid 80's when it shut down its club manufacturing facilities and instead relocated to asia or just imported cheap stuff from asia, much like crappy brands like Titliest and Nike do now.

In anothe email from Ross, he said;

Not many people know that Australia was a leader in World Golf Technology in the 1960's & 1970's. We had some of the best golf club making factories in the world then, PGF (the merger of Chesterfield & East Bros)Spalding, Slazengers, Keith Knox and Carnegie Clark. Slazenger made the best golf ball in the world, the B51 Tightwind. Nicklaus used to take a gross of these B51's back to play the European Tour every year.

PeteyD
19th September 2007, 07:01 PM
Classic stuff Andy. Don't be so surprised at hitting the wood well, a lot of the old woods are great, even if they were plastic ???

andylo
20th September 2007, 06:20 AM
Thanks MTB. This is some great information.

Now I am going to source myself those MK3/Mk5 :D (retro HOing)

kpac
20th September 2007, 06:40 AM
Now I am going to source myself those MK3/Mk5 :D (retro HOing)

Boss has a set he is getting cut down TODAY for his son... bit of a shame. funny looking irons - very sharp front edge.

markTHEblake
20th September 2007, 07:54 AM
kp, I reckon the Mk3 were horrible looking things, but a lot of people used to say that they were the dogs bollocks, but I really liked my Mk5's.

Funny thing is, that they look a helluva lot like the irons i use now (at address)

BrisVegas
20th September 2007, 08:03 AM
The PGF Status Mk5 really were "the" club of choice weren't they. It seemed like everyone had them when I first started playing. In the late 80's, early 90's they came out with a cavity back iron set like the Titleist Oversize and they were pretty nice.

markTHEblake
20th September 2007, 08:09 AM
The PGF Status Mk5 really were "the" club of choice weren't they.

I didnt choose mine, i just grabbed dads clubs and started playing as he had retired. I do remember having people comment that i had a very flash set of clubs for a kid that couldnt get the ball off the ground.

The word Status was written very stylishly though, and they were shinier than the Mk3's

Grunt
20th September 2007, 08:20 AM
Heres a link to my old set of Golden Bears

http://www.globalgolf.com/product/golfclub/-/pid--1006918/iron-set/macgregor/jack-nicklaus-golden-bear.aspx?gd=3

BrisVegas
20th September 2007, 08:36 AM
http://www.pgfgolf.com/Company-Timeline.aspx

andylo
20th September 2007, 09:21 AM
So the so I thought "wood"... is actually made with 100% prastic??

PeteyD
20th September 2007, 09:26 AM
Found a link to my old Cobra Tour Model IIs. I have no idea how I ever hit those clubs ...

markTHEblake
20th September 2007, 12:04 PM
So the so I thought "wood"... is actually made with 100% prastic??

Yeah prastic. I dont see any problem with that, the Little Slammer was prastic and that was the best club ever made :)

You better forget my suggestion to refinish your woods, by sanding back, and relacquer with estapol, because i got mixed up which set you bought, i thought you bought the Mk3's that ws in the photo you showed me, and those were wood woods.

andylo
20th September 2007, 12:07 PM
Ok guys....

What is the "PGF Aristocrat tour model"?? I just picked up another 3 wood. And it has "Hand crafted American Persimmon" where the TP logo should be :p

Hopefully its something good.

Also picked up a Status Mk3 "W"... is it = PW or SW??

markTHEblake
20th September 2007, 12:08 PM
Aristocrats were a 90's club i think.

and W means Wedge as opposed to SW.

andylo
20th September 2007, 12:11 PM
Aristocrats were a 90's club i think.

Sugar, so that won't qualify Dion's requirement?!

Apart from the made of year, is this thing any good?

BrisVegas
20th September 2007, 12:13 PM
I bought my Aristocrats in the 80's and they were used when I got em.

markTHEblake
20th September 2007, 12:16 PM
Apart from the made of year, is this thing any good?

dunno, but they wont be any different to most of the clubs made today that are the same style. Golf clubs dont decompose.

AndyP
20th September 2007, 12:53 PM
Isn't this in the wrong forum?
I've heard no mention of dates, times or venues. :p

andylo
22nd September 2007, 10:22 PM
More.... retro HOing.... :oops:

http://picasaweb.google.com/yanchilo/RetroGolf22907

markTHEblake
22nd September 2007, 10:56 PM
Oh i got access to some Titliest Tour Balatas, about 2-3 dozen of them. Owner believes they are dated 1991. He also has a couple of dozen of the next Titliests the Professional 100's surlyn cover that came on a Bronze coloured box.

You can make an offer if you like.

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/4996/pic000160bm8.jpg

Moe Norman
23rd September 2007, 03:29 PM
nice balls blakey

mikezone13
23rd September 2007, 03:55 PM
Quality those balatas... I remember baulking at paying $6 a ball for those in the early '90's, especially when you typically needed 2 or 3 a round due to tree scuffs, bladed wedges and gravel pathways

Don't think you could ever get a full round out of one of those babies.

BrisVegas
23rd September 2007, 03:58 PM
More.... retro HOing.... :oops:

http://picasaweb.google.com/yanchilo/RetroGolf22907

OMG! I've unleashed a monster! :shock:

Moe Norman
23rd September 2007, 07:43 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ping-Eye-2-1-3-4-Woods-Used-but-in-good-cond-RH_W0QQitemZ110173239948QQihZ001QQcategoryZ18952QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

BARGAIN!

BrisVegas
23rd September 2007, 07:54 PM
so anyway, this is the 1st tee after all.....

Where shall we play this old school game?

andylo
23rd September 2007, 07:55 PM
I guess it really doesn't matter right?

BrisVegas
24th September 2007, 06:46 AM
Wolston Park?

Jono
24th September 2007, 07:03 AM
This would have to be on a links course, right? 8-)

markTHEblake
24th September 2007, 07:05 AM
do they have distance markers? - you'd reckon its gotta be a course without em

andylo
24th September 2007, 08:15 AM
Wolston Park?

When? Next Saturday/Sunday?

BrisVegas
24th September 2007, 08:20 AM
first free weekend day I got is Sunday 14th Oct. Does that suit anyone else?

How about Sunday afternoon, just for something different....

andylo
24th September 2007, 08:47 AM
Sounds good to me.

990B Luva
4th October 2007, 08:03 PM
hmmm i have a set of Eye 2's (complete 1,3,4 & 5 woods, 3i-SW) and a daiwa putter styled on the 8802, close enough?

BrisVegas
8th October 2007, 12:00 PM
I'm not sure I can get out for a game this weekend now.

BrisVegas
25th October 2007, 07:05 AM
I played 9 holes this morning with the persimmon 1.5 & 4 wood. I hit them pretty good, solidly at least. The results were nice and straight, but very short. The 4 wood was probably only as long as my 3 iron and the 1.5 was shorter my 15deg 3wood. I hit driver on the 12,13,17 and they all found the fairway but were well back from where I'd normally be. 12 & 17 were uphill shots that carried around 190-200m. The downhill shot on 13 went about 240 in total with roll, but came up short of the right fairway trap (which are not normally in play with driver).

They felt great. A lovely solid thwack sound. the reg steel shafts were easy enough to swing and I didn't have any trouble getting them up in the air. I tried the 4 wood off the deck one time and it came out straight, low and went quite a long way. The deeper face would be the culprit there no doubt.

I have heaps of respect for the pros of last generation who played with this gear. To think that Jack could get 300 yards out of a persimmon driver is just amazing.

Eag's
25th October 2007, 07:23 AM
Dion, just goes to show how much we take modern equipment for granted these days. It would of been an interesting experiment that's for sure :)
Makes you appreciate just how good the players of the past were :smt023

Jarro
25th October 2007, 07:26 AM
Surely Jack would've had to have hit draws all the time to get such distances out of the old persimmon wouldn't he ??

BrisVegas
25th October 2007, 07:27 AM
Jack hit fades almost exclusively, which makes it all the more impressive. His was mostly carry distance!

andylo
25th October 2007, 07:40 AM
I have heaps of respect for the pros of last generation who played with this gear. To think that Jack could get 300 yards out of a persimmon driver is just amazing.

Becasue they are using tour issues ;)

(you know I am kidding, right?)

Any chance to come out for a hit? I already got 3 set of retros at home.

BrisVegas
25th October 2007, 07:43 AM
come out on the friday pre-champs mate. I'll play the old school bag if you do!

andylo
25th October 2007, 07:50 AM
Can't do the pre-champ. Used up all my holidays (sicky or not) Sigh....

dc68
25th October 2007, 08:04 AM
To think that Jack could get 300 yards out of a persimmon driver is just amazing.

Yes and to think Greg used to get 300 metres out of one.

Not to mention they were hitting marshmallows.

BrisVegas
25th October 2007, 08:05 AM
yeah i was using a (2-round old) ProV1 this morning and you could almost feel it sticking to the face. there were little bits of white plastic stuck to the screws on the face after a solid hit!

Jarro
25th October 2007, 08:09 AM
Yes and to think Greg used to get 300 metres out of one.

Not to mention they were hitting marshmallows.

You're never going to lose the weight if you keep talking like this ;)

dc68
25th October 2007, 08:12 AM
Sta-Puft..... Mmmmmmmmmmm

markTHEblake
25th October 2007, 08:29 AM
The old persimmon drivers go just as far as the modern titanium when hit in the sweet spot (IF the shaft length was the same)

A few of the older pro's have said this, Seve Ballesteros was one, he was one of the last guys to change to steel.

BrisVegas
25th October 2007, 08:34 AM
The old persimmon drivers go just as far as the modern titanium when hit in the sweet spot (IF the shaft length was the same)

A few of the older pro's have said this, Seve Ballesteros was one, he was one of the last guys to change to steel.

Don't believe what you hear from Seve. Everyone knows he's a fruitloop. I bet the COR on a persimmon head is a long way short of 0.830.

markTHEblake
25th October 2007, 08:36 AM
Ah, your right there, but he did say that long before COR was an improvement.

BrisVegas
27th January 2009, 01:40 PM
Interestingly, Tiger Woods is meant to be playing in the San Francisco Persimmon Open this April. From threads on golfWRX, Tiger uses a persimmon driver in the off season for practice. Hope this tourney makes it to TV. I loooove the sound and feel of persimmon woods.

http://www.traditionalrulesofgolf.org/sfopen.html

razaar
18th September 2010, 03:51 PM
Thought I would re-activeate this thread to see if we can organise an Oz golf outing playing retro equipment. It would be more of a social round on a shorter course. I would be up for it and I know Dion and Dave would be certain starters. Would Wolston Park GC be a suitable venue for such an event?

Daves
18th September 2010, 04:35 PM
Thought I would re-activeate this thread to see if we can organise an Oz golf outing playing retro equipment. It would be more of a social round on a shorter course. I would be up for it and I know Dion and Dave would be certain starters. Would Wolston Park GC be a suitable venue for such an event?

Certainly would Ray. It is a touch under 5000m and you could play it without a driver quite easily.

PerryGroves
19th September 2010, 07:20 AM

Could try these rules that they use for the US "old school" event

http://trga.info/trgabasics.html

Ferrins
19th September 2010, 07:45 AM
I'd play.

BrisVegas
19th September 2010, 03:34 PM

I'm actually playing Wolston Park this Sat, with oxy at 6.40am. Call the club if you want to join us.

MegaWatty
10th April 2011, 06:16 PM
Enter Blakey...

Of what vintage are Keith Knox? These in particular.

http://img1.classistatic.com/cps/kj/110410/215r4/9014n9f_20.jpeg

I'm looking to put together a vintage'ish set of clubs for a bit of fun.

razaar
10th April 2011, 07:01 PM
Those would be 1970's vintage. Didn't Keith Knox establish Prosimmon in the early 1980's. Pretty sure Peter Senior played Prosimmon clubs right up until the company folded in the 1990s. I have a set of Prosimmon woods (persimmon).

markTHEblake
10th April 2011, 07:15 PM
They look like the clubs Mum was using around 1980

Yossarian
10th April 2011, 07:18 PM
What's a Ziggy, dare I ask?

Hmmm.

Marto65
10th April 2011, 07:27 PM
Might have to drop in to Cashies to see what I can pick up ...

MegaWatty
10th April 2011, 07:33 PM
The Titleist Persimmon driver I got for 5 bucks is in pretty sweet condition. The Bulls Eye is a little dinged up with character marks.

Dcanto
10th April 2011, 08:56 PM
Might have to drop in to Cashies to see what I can pick up ...

There is a Salvo's shop next door to our local Noodle-Box which has an old Daiwa golf bag near that front window that appears to have a lot of old odds & ends in it - including a couple of Hogan irons.

Might have to check it out.

petethepilot
11th April 2011, 12:01 AM
The Keith Knox's date to 1973. In fact they may be my old set! They used to get it out at least 130 metres for me then!!!

Not much has changed.

Pete

Beno
12th April 2011, 04:59 PM
Keen on this

Will need to start from scratch though with a set. I think the only thing i have is a cobra baffler - it is wooden though :)

Side note - I am in the ipswich area, so wolly park, gatton, toogoolawah anywhere like that is fine - and old lol

razaar
13th April 2011, 06:18 PM
Belted a couple of 7 & 5-irons Wilson blades (circa 1965) today; the 7-iron averaged 115 metres and the 5-iron 130 metres.:shock: That means I would hit the 3-iron 150metres and the 2-iron 155 metres on a good day. I reckon one good session with these on the practice fairway and I wouldn't be able to hit balls for a fortnight. The new technology has turned me to mush.:)

MegaWatty
13th April 2011, 06:28 PM
Sounds even more fun! I think.

Ferrins
13th April 2011, 06:32 PM
I have a almost full set of Slazenger Hogans, so I'm good to go.

razaar
13th April 2011, 06:42 PM
I have a almost full set of Slazenger Hogans, so I'm good to go.
Me too..mine are the diamond muscle backs. Tried them also today and found them more difficult to hit than the Wilsons. The only Slaz. irons I had any success with was the "Off-set Power" irons.

MegaWatty
13th April 2011, 06:44 PM
You lads should fly a Bi Plane over to WA and join in on the vintage game!

ddasey
13th April 2011, 06:46 PM
Belted a couple of 7 & 5-irons Wilson blades (circa 1965) today; the 7-iron averaged 115 metres and the 5-iron 130 metres.:shock: That means I would hit the 3-iron 150metres and the 2-iron 155 metres on a good day. I reckon one good session with these on the practice fairway and I wouldn't be able to hit balls for a fortnight. The new technology has turned me to mush.:)

They were some fine looking irons Ray. My wrists hurt just thinking about hitting them.

razaar
13th April 2011, 06:53 PM
http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo283/bennie_065/Mail0006.jpg
Will you get dressed for the part MW?

MegaWatty
13th April 2011, 06:57 PM
Which one are you?

razaar
13th April 2011, 06:58 PM
First on the left.

MegaWatty
13th April 2011, 07:37 PM
That is awesome. You're a fine looking chap. I'd wear that gear for a vintage day if I could find it cheap and not smelling of moth balls.

Payne was truly on to something.

Outcast
13th April 2011, 07:39 PM
Hey, my clubs are over a year old; that'd make them old school on this forum wouldn't it??

My father has a set of Keith Knox he ain't using, wonder if he'd part with them?

Sent from the edge of insanity by an evil simpleton!

Ferrins
14th April 2011, 04:11 PM
I bought a set of Macgregor Golden Bear today 1,3,5, persimmon woods 3-sw irons. Will be using the irons tomorrow at Toowoomba.

Marto65
14th April 2011, 04:27 PM
I reckon you could pick up a set at Cash Converters for under $100 for this ..

Ferrins
14th April 2011, 04:29 PM
Mine were $20 with a vgc Topflite cart bag:)

Daves
14th April 2011, 04:29 PM
I bought a set of Macgregor Golden Bear today 1,3,5, persimmon woods 3-sw irons. Will be using the irons tomorrow at Toowoomba.

I have a set of these, but I am not playing them at City tomorrow. On a scale of forgiveness and small sweet spots these are just above Muiras!

Marto65
14th April 2011, 04:33 PM
Geez ... i think you win the prize for the cheapest set ..

Ferrins
14th April 2011, 04:35 PM
If I can get a run at The Mcleod Cup, then I'll play the whole set.

Ferrins
14th April 2011, 04:38 PM
Geez ... i think you win the prize for the cheapest set ..

My kit for last years OZGolf Champs cost me $40, so it will be $20 this year.

razaar
14th April 2011, 07:08 PM

One thing I failed to mention in my previous post was our local pro Tom Arnott belted the Wison 7-iron about 140 metres (near where ddaisy was collecting balls). His comment was "I could easly play with these". Look who finished in 18th place in the 1993 World Junior Golf Championships.
http://www.juniorworldgolf.com/pastpar.php?div=b1517&yr=93

ddasey
14th April 2011, 07:16 PM
One thing I failed to mention in my previous post was our local pro Tom Arnott belted the Wison 7-iron about 140 metres (near where ddaisy was collecting balls). His comment was "I could easly play with these". Look who finished in 18th place in the 1993 World Junior Golf Championships.
http://www.juniorworldgolf.com/pastpar.php?div=b1517&yr=93

Even from 100m away picking up balls it sound very sweeeett...

Some pretty impressive names in that top 20.

Courty
14th April 2011, 07:25 PM
My kit for last years OZGolf Champs cost me $40, so it will be $20 this year.

Depreciation? ;)

Ferrins
14th April 2011, 07:42 PM
$10 set for 2012.

Marto65
14th April 2011, 11:36 PM
When i first moved to Brisbane ... Tom Arnott was 17 or 18 .. had just won the Aus Juniors and was playing No 1 in our Pennant Team. We had a great team that year...

razaar
15th April 2011, 12:20 AM
When i first moved to Brisbane ... Tom Arnott was 17 or 18 .. had just won the Aus Juniors and was playing No 1 in our Pennant Team. We had a great team that year...
What club did you play for Marto?

Daves
17th April 2011, 07:55 PM

So how did they go?

MegaWatty
22nd April 2011, 02:40 PM
How's about these? Has anyone seen or heard of them before? Of what vintage would you estimate them to be from?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7570988/Ferret/Photo%20Apr%2022%2C%2013%2031%2037.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7570988/Ferret/Photo%20Apr%2022%2C%2013%2031%2038.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7570988/Ferret/Photo%20Apr%2022%2C%2013%2031%2039.jpg

razaar
22nd April 2011, 03:04 PM
1970's vintage at a good guess. That's when irons started appearing without the plastic ferrals. The putter is of the same vintage, maybe a little earlier - it looks like an aluminum Ray Cook mallet or it is a knock-off of that putter.

MegaWatty
22nd April 2011, 03:11 PM
Might have found me a set of vintage sticks then. ;)

Ferrins
22nd April 2011, 03:16 PM
There mine, got my name all over them.

henno
23rd April 2011, 06:55 AM
There mine, got my name all over them.

That's the first thing I thought.

dc68
23rd April 2011, 07:12 AM
You're up early.... Or did you just break in?

dc68
23rd April 2011, 07:12 AM
Oops I mean get home.

henno
23rd April 2011, 07:19 AM
I had a quiet(ish) one last night. After a couple of big nights in a row I was due. Not to mention that I've got three big nights ahead of me; I look forward to cleaning up the broken glass on Tuesday.

MegaWatty
25th April 2011, 10:23 AM
Oh yeah!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7570988/Ben%20Hogan/Photo%20Apr%2025%2C%209%2019%2014.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7570988/Ben%20Hogan/Photo%20Apr%2025%2C%209%2019%2015.jpg

MegaWatty
3rd May 2011, 06:46 PM
OK gents. How about these?

Ferrins
3rd May 2011, 06:50 PM
Oh yeah!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7570988/Ben%20Hogan/Photo%20Apr%2025%2C%209%2019%2014.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7570988/Ben%20Hogan/Photo%20Apr%2025%2C%209%2019%2015.jpg

I have the 11/2, 3 & 4

Marto65
4th May 2011, 05:10 AM
What club did you play for Marto?

Sorry Razaar .. just saw this.

I used to be at Oatlands in Sydney ... then moved to The Brisbane GC in 1993. Played about 4 years for Bris .. a few more for Oatlands ..

razaar
4th May 2011, 05:48 AM
I have the 11/2, 3 & 4
I have the BH putter for this set, which has a unique brass head, 36" fluted stepped shaft and the avon paddle grip (which is now illegal).

Daves
4th May 2011, 07:19 AM

Certainly would Ray. It is a touch under 5000m and you could play it without a driver quite easily.

We should get this outing back on the the agenda Ray.

I don't think I have posted any piccies of my vintage set in this thread yet. These were taken before they were reshafted, cleaned up and buffed.

razaar
4th May 2011, 07:43 AM
Nice clubs Dave. I'll be in it any time Dave, as long as the weather is fine and the conditions aren't muddy.

PerryGroves
4th May 2011, 07:48 AM
Daves, nothing like the sound of the ball hitting laminated wood. Might have to piss what looks like the 4 wood off to maintain cred.

dc68
5th May 2011, 05:20 PM
Anyone have spares? I am looking to put a deck together.

Ferrins
5th May 2011, 08:19 PM
Anyone have spares? I am looking to put a deck together.

Got the Ben Hogan Slazengers

3 woods 7 irons & putter - $25

dc68
5th May 2011, 08:25 PM
Done Ferret.

Moe Norman
5th May 2011, 08:45 PM
I have a nice set, but my arm is still busted.

Lets set up a game soon though, just make sure its a bit soggy and theres a bit of drizzle

Bruce Dickinson
5th May 2011, 10:03 PM
Rescued a jack Nicklaus persimmon driver today, still has the original grip

Ferrins
6th May 2011, 06:29 AM
Done Ferret.

Just went down to the shed to make sure there still there.

The set consists of

11/2 & 4 woods
3,5,7,9 & sw
putter

I thought there was more to the set or maybe they have been missplaced.

Got a Mizuno 3 wood you can put in the kit and I'll keep an eye out for the other irons. 90% sure there was a P/W with that set.

BrisVegas
6th May 2011, 07:41 AM
I have a nice set, but my arm is still busted.

Lets set up a game soon though, just make sure its a bit soggy and theres a bit of drizzle

I'm keen. Make it somewhere short though! I played my persimmons at Brooky and I couldn't hit them out of my shadow.

henno
6th May 2011, 07:58 AM
Make it somewhere short though!

Wynnum? I can't think of any impossible par 4s there.

Ferrins
6th May 2011, 08:01 AM
Ashgrove?

Ferrins
6th May 2011, 08:04 AM
Old putter head and an old ball mounted would make a good perpetual trophy. Me thinks, I can put this together.

Daves
6th May 2011, 08:05 AM
Wynnum? I can't think of any impossible par 4s there.

Ashgrove?

You could also add Wally Park, Mt Warren Park and Wantima as suitable shorties. Otherwise you could play a course like Reddie Bay, Nudgee etc off the whites or blues.

Moe Norman
6th May 2011, 10:14 AM
Jindalee or Wolly Park sound like good options.

Sandy Gallop.

Brisbane GC is Par 69 atm I think

markTHEblake
6th May 2011, 10:17 AM
If you wanna do it right find a course with proper qld blue couch greens.

razaar
6th May 2011, 10:43 AM
If you wanna do it right find a course with proper qld blue couch greens.

Good one Blakey - Kilcoy GC. It is not a long course (9 holes) with blue couch greens.

markTHEblake
6th May 2011, 11:01 AM
I suspect Warwick and Beaudesert and Canungra would be the same. I have not played on them but they all look to me to be exactly like the courses I grew up on.

Gatton also, but maybe only the back 9

razaar
6th May 2011, 01:44 PM
I learnt to play at WarwickGC (shared a house with the pro), it has always had bent greens and kik..fairways.

Moe Norman
6th May 2011, 01:59 PM
actually, I reckon Rosewood would be good

dc68
8th May 2011, 02:47 PM
No worries Ferrins.

kenny12
12th February 2013, 09:50 PM

Got a set of golf clubs today from the next door neighbour.

PGF Status MKV, I know its an old thread, but does anyone have anymore info ?

Is it worth getting it re-gripped and length increased to my length.

PerryGroves
12th February 2013, 10:00 PM
Very posh Kenny, I had the Status Mark IIIs.

My guess is the clubs are from the mid maybe late 70s. PGF are still around.

As for having them reshafted, of course, plenty of credibilty to be had at the expense of the GI brigade.

markTHEblake
12th February 2013, 10:50 PM
Status MKV, I know its an old thread, but does anyone have anymore info ?
My first set of clubs, inherited from Dad who retired from golf about the same time. I started playing in 1980, based on some anecdotal evidence that means he got them new anywhere between 77-79.

PGF are still around
Technically yes, but in name only, they died eventually out once all manufacturing moved to china and the yankee brands came onto the Australian scene, and have been rebirthed by a new owner. In the 60-70's PGF were highly regarded , But by the early 80's , I cant even think of a single dominant brand of clubs in that era, unlike comparing to now we have the trio of Callaway, TM, and Titleist. At this time It seemed to me that everyone had a different brand or model of clubs For example I knew nobody else that played the Mk V, and only one that played the MkIII. I think it might have a lot to do with golfers of that era keeping a set of clubs for a very long time, like 10 years plus.

An old club collector sent me this
"Not many people know that Australia was a leader in World Golf Technology in the 1960's & 1970's. We had some of the best golf club making factories in the world then, PGF (the merger of Chesterfield & East Bros)Spalding, Slazengers, Keith Knox and Carnegie Clark."

kenny12
12th February 2013, 10:58 PM
I'm going to give clubmaking a go and increase the length of the shaft by 1" and re-grip these

markTHEblake
22nd January 2023, 01:16 PM
15 Years have passed since this thread started and the event didnt eventuate - but a great discussions.
I recently joined a Facebook group PGF Golf Fanatics- lots of old skool info in there. Through them I have just today been gifted a set of Status Mk V's. I am keen to find out just how much different the are too modern clubs. Peripheral and toe weighted - they cant be that bad.

I am also getting some woods from somewhere else that needs refinishing then i have the full kit. Brisvegas - you could use your current set.

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=56772&stc=1

goughy
22nd January 2023, 01:57 PM
My dad always played pgf status clubs.

Ferrins
22nd January 2023, 05:51 PM
Picked up a nice set of PGF persimmons. 1,3,5

markTHEblake
22nd January 2023, 05:56 PM
Picked up a nice set of PGF persimmons. 1,3,5 How much you selling for ? 😀

Ferrins
22nd January 2023, 05:58 PM
In the pool room. Had to shell out $6 for them at the Southport tip shop. Mint with original grips.

markTHEblake
22nd January 2023, 07:18 PM
basterd! do you know which model PGF's they are? I dont recall they did many in Persimmon

Ferrins
23rd January 2023, 10:23 AM
No my parents were married.

PGF M.P.LAMINATED

markTHEblake
23rd January 2023, 12:12 PM
PGF M.P.LAMINATED Oh, Laminated? Does the face have lines as if there is layers of wood, similar to looking at cross section of plywood? If thats it, thats Laminated head. Persimmon has no layers and will have a spotty sandpaperish look

Ferrins
23rd January 2023, 02:07 PM
Well pretty sure my gas stove is not electric. However going by the head being called Laminated I would say it is also not electric.

BrisVegas
23rd January 2023, 02:14 PM
Brisvegas - you could use your current set.

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=56772&stc=1

pfft whatever! My setup is circa 2010 and is far removed from those fire pokers.

The PGF Status I remember from the late 80's early 90's were the cavity back style TPWs.