PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Canuck, 2007 Kennedy Bay Club Champ!

Johnny Canuck
11th September 2007, 04:19 PM
Hi Guys,

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, apologies if it isn't.

Anyways, I had my 36 hole match play final against our defending champ this past Sunday in our Club Championship. I was lucky enough to get over 3/2.

I am still exhausted from the entire ordeal, I don't think I have ever concentrated that much in my entire life. I even ended up chatting with the (small) gallery in between shots to try and stay loose.

It was a pretty crazy match. I ended up falling 2 down early when my opponent dropped a bending 50 footer on the 4th and a 45 footer on the 5th. I then hit a massive hook on the 6th to go 3 down. Twice I battled back to 1 down, only to immediately lose the next 2 holes to go back to 3 down.

We started the 2nd 18 with me 3 down, but I birdied one and two, and squared the match at three. A win at 5,6 and 7 put me 3up. I ended up dormie 5 and thought I had a sure win. WRONG! I hit the Par 3 - 14th green and sucked it back into the bunker. I could have won the match with a bogey, but instead decided to take 4 shots in the bunker to lose the hole (I knocked the 4th attempt to 4 feet:mrgreen: ). A bad decision on 15 put me 3 up. On the par 3 - 16th, my opponent knocked his tee shot to 5 feet and I thought I was done. I somehow managed to drop my 60 footer to win the match.

It was great fun, but I don't know if I could handle that type of stress anytime soon.

I'd like to thank the people that sold me my iron heads (Moe), My driver (3oneday), my shafts (reg320?), my wedges (Stoney). Being a member here has really turned me into a bit of a club whore. Thankfully we have people like Jarro around that make me look like a small time shopper.

JC

mikezone13
11th September 2007, 04:24 PM
Congrats good stuff mate!! and well written too :)

TS
11th September 2007, 04:25 PM
Congrat, John.

amanda
11th September 2007, 04:37 PM
congrats! sounds like a true ozgolf effort :)

markTHEblake
11th September 2007, 04:39 PM
congrats JC, thats a huge effort.

I am surprised that there are still clubs out there that finalise their club champs with a matchplay. Most clubs in qld stopped that around 20 years ago, and now run the Club champs and matchplay as seperate events.

NOt to mention 36 holes is a rarity as well

Eag's
11th September 2007, 04:50 PM
Well done JC :smt023 always good to here of fellow Oz golfers having some success :smt038

Johnny Canuck
11th September 2007, 05:06 PM
congrats JC, thats a huge effort.

I am surprised that there are still clubs out there that finalise their club champs with a matchplay. Most clubs in qld stopped that around 20 years ago, and now run the Club champs and matchplay as seperate events.

NOt to mention 36 holes is a rarity as well

We went to this format for the first time this year. Apparantely, there are a few clubs in WA that do this.
I am definately in favour of it, as I have always been a much better match player than a four round stroke player.

They were going to play 36 holes for the B & C grade as well, but decided against it at the last minute. I could see it for B grade, but 36 holes of C grade around Kennedy could have taken about 18 hours:D .

kpac
11th September 2007, 05:11 PM
top effort JC - stories / matches like that make you really want to play more golf. well done mate

Jarro
11th September 2007, 05:21 PM
Thankfully we have people like Jarro around that make me look like a small time shopper.

:-s Mate, you got me all wrong :smt087 I'm a smalltime operator compared to some of these hopeless folk here :mrgreen:

Congrats on the win, sounds like it was quite a match !

Have you told Rob yet ?

Johnny Canuck
11th September 2007, 05:41 PM
:-s Mate, you got me all wrong :smt087 I'm a smalltime operator compared to some of these hopeless folk here :mrgreen:

Congrats on the win, sounds like it was quite a match !

Have you told Rob yet ?

Actually that's a good idea. I have been meaning to drop him an email and see how the marriage went.

I don't know about small time operator. I am trying hard not to buy anything. I gave in and bought a wedge off gaz last week. After club champs, I don't think i am going to kick my vokey out anytime soon so it is going to sit in the garage with the rest of the gear i am accumulating. it's always nice having options!

markTHEblake
11th September 2007, 05:57 PM
Johnny, when did you start thinking ahead that you were going to win?

Bruce
11th September 2007, 06:15 PM
Congratulations Johnny. An excellent effort and something you can hang your hat on for the rest of your life.

Fishman Dan
11th September 2007, 06:40 PM
Well done JC. Huge achievement.

Any popups?

gazgolf1
11th September 2007, 07:06 PM
nice work JC. :)

BrisVegas
11th September 2007, 07:12 PM
top stuff. Hope the various ozgolfer ho's got a mention in acceptance speech!

AndyP
11th September 2007, 07:21 PM
Super stuff, JC. I have no doubts that a 36 hole match would be very stressful.

Courty
11th September 2007, 07:36 PM
Wow, what a fantastic effort. Having experienced being torn a new one by that very course, that makes for an extremely impressive achievement. Congratulations!

Moe Norman
11th September 2007, 08:21 PM
Nice work mate, those TM 300's are a great set of sticks!

Blakey,

Indro, RQ and Brisbane all settle club champs with 36 hole matchplay.

PeteyD
11th September 2007, 08:30 PM
Very nice. Well done.

Ducky
11th September 2007, 08:32 PM
=;

3oneday
11th September 2007, 08:59 PM
Great effort... and using tm crap as well !!!

:lol:

Jono
11th September 2007, 09:38 PM
Congrats, JC. Fantastic achievement. 8)

Johnny Canuck
11th September 2007, 10:26 PM
Johnny, when did you start thinking ahead that you were going to win?

i actually don't think i did. i got a little stupid with the shot i tried to play on 15, but i have played enough match plays to know that anything can happen, and it usually does. even coming off the 12th, when i went to 5 up, i had to ask my caddy to confirm the score. i was just focused on hitting good shots and playing the same game i had been playing.

even on the 16th green, i was thinking, sh*t, miss this and we are going to 17, which he birdied earlier.

Johnny Canuck
11th September 2007, 10:29 PM
Well done JC. Huge achievement.

Any popups?

HAH! the week before in the first semi's i hit 5 wood, 5 wood on the 370m second when i popped the first one up and failed to make it to the fairway. i redeemed myself by hitting the second one to 15 feet.

to tell you the truth, i kind of popped it up on 1 as well and only hit it about 140.

no comments about the 5 wood please. i can't explain the club. i use x-stiff in my driver and 3 wood, but a regular shafted 5 wood that goes further than the 3 off the deck.

peter_rs
12th September 2007, 06:52 AM
congrats johny,

ps I'm back in perth soon I will check in with you. I'm thinking of trying to bring shazza over for a weekend before or after my work.

oz
12th September 2007, 07:56 AM
Great stuff, JC. Well done. Way to hang tough.... sounds like you both putted pretty well, and holed your share of bombs. Would have been a great match to watch. Congrats, champ.

Grunt
12th September 2007, 01:47 PM
Congratulations John. Hey AP why not make an honour board for all our fellow OzGolfers that make it to such a level. Cant be that hard.

Moe Norman
12th September 2007, 01:51 PM
JC is on a real honour board now, thats the reward!

AndyP
12th September 2007, 01:51 PM
I'm sure seeing his name on the honour board at his home club is satisfying enough. It is for me.

Grunt
12th September 2007, 01:55 PM
OK was just a suggestion.

Johnny Canuck
12th September 2007, 02:10 PM
thanks grunt.

peter,

let me know when you make it over and we'll set up another hit at kennedy, or somewhere nearby if you would like.

Flowergirl
13th September 2007, 09:31 AM
Well done Johnny - I'm proud of ya;)

Iain
13th September 2007, 11:31 AM
Well done Johhny, great win!!