PDA

View Full Version : Week commencing 10th September

kpac
11th September 2007, 08:44 AM
Never started one of these - but there's no time like the present.

Played yesterday in Southport trainee-pro am - Excellent event. Trainee's tore the course up in the morning (trainee match - winner 6 under and others close behind) Wind picked up and grain of greens toughened up the shooting in the afternoon (Pro-am) with winning scores of 2 under and trainee pro in our group comming 2nd with 1 under.

Was a really good day i felt like i hit the ball well - just didn't score that well - got off to a very slow start - but collected 19point on the back to make me a little happier.

4 x 1 putts was the good news for me on the day - hitting new driver well aswell :smt038 <- it's surprisingly forgiving for off-centre shot which i like 8) (and with any luck i'll get .1 back and go out to 16 before the weekend :smt023

was a good warmup around the course before southport classic this weekend. :wink:

kpac
11th September 2007, 08:50 AM
Good to meet up with kezza out ther for at hit aswell - although i don't know how happy she was with her golf game...

Flowergirl
11th September 2007, 08:59 AM
I first read that as 41 putts - and that you were happy:shock: Ah - 4 x 1 putts - sounds more like it.:mrgreen: Well done;)

Getting to play in our Wednesday comp tomorrow. Second comp round in over 10 weeks. Woo hoo:smt023

kpac
11th September 2007, 09:04 AM
41 putts wouldn't be my worst day out either.... SCARY! ;)

oz
11th September 2007, 10:11 AM
OK, now the fireball thing is out of the way.... I played at Howlong on Sunday, stableford event.

Started OK, on the fringe of teh par 5 1st in 2.... but took 3 to get down. Then OB on the par 3 2nd... :( Double. :(

Anyway, round started to improve from there, and made a great birdie on #7, the 1 index hole. Back on track.

Short game stuff-ups on 11, 12 & 13 de-railled my round, and a sloppy bogey on 18 capped it off.

18 + 17 = 35 points.... another round full of wasted short game opportunities... seems to be my current theme....

No wonder Blakey iced me in the matchplay.....

Keza_G
12th September 2007, 06:13 AM
Good to meet up with kezza out ther for at hit aswell - although i don't know how happy she was with her golf game...

Good to catch up with you too mate !

Well I had an absolute peice of crap. I had invited my boss (Duty Manager) out for a game, We started with the usual schooner at the bar and then preceeded to persue some golfies (golfs equivalent to roadies but for the course) only to find out that southport doesnt allow alcohol on the course at all.... fair enough.... and so began the chopfest that was a hankering for a brew. My boss said he thought the course was great but the lack of beer put it behind the times.... Long story short i literally threw the clubs from the boot of the car to the garage floor when I got home.....

My boss (now to be known as Chillers) hits the ball alright for a bloke ! but I managed to keep him at bay all round ! we plan on having another bash at the next trainee pro am.

Kent, my daughter is a member there ($35 per year- juniour girls) and the guy that won both trainee rounds is her coach Chris Renouf, a top bloke and the 2nd year trainee there at Southport, for 2 rounds he shot 66, 69 !!

Stats:
Keza
10 Fairways :smt023
0 greens :roll: :lol:
42 putts :smt108 :roll:
95 off the stick ! :oops: :oops:

Chillers (the boss)
6 Fairways
3 Greens
40 putts
100 off the stick !

kpac
12th September 2007, 09:32 AM
Kent, my daughter is a member there ($35 per year- juniour girls) and the guy that won both trainee rounds is her coach Chris Renouf, a top bloke and the 2nd year trainee there at Southport, for 2 rounds he shot 66, 69 !!

Yeah Chris had a day out - however was tell me yesterday of some luck he had on the way round.. 8)
Southport has two trainees this year - chris and daniel, by the scores yesterday your daughter has the pick of the coaches - i use daniel who had rounds of 79 and 76 :smt087 (Tops for lessons however)

Flowergirl
13th September 2007, 10:36 AM
Well my first comp day for a while - and boy did it show in the putting. I had 40 putts - ( kpac - I blame you for that;) ).
But my ball striking was great. Once I got into the groove I was playing some of the best shots ever - too good cos I overshot 5 greens.
Managed to come in with 33 points - all things considered I was pretty happy - except the putting. Seeing I haven't practised putting or played much for a while - and the fact I've never been a good putter - well - it can only improve.:mrgreen:

kpac
13th September 2007, 10:41 AM
Well my first comp day for a while - and boy did it show in the putting. I had 40 putts - ( kpac - I blame you for that;) ).

:smt087 oops... ;)
well the positive is that it would have been a handy round without the putts :smt023

Grunt
13th September 2007, 05:13 PM
Played at Liverpool this afternoon. Weather was great, pity the good weather meant the first good ol Hayfever attack of the year:(. No Clarinaise in the bag.:?
Started ok but soon the nose was running that bad it was dripping on the ball, it was over:smt108.

Had 24 points, one good thing was the putting only one 3 putt and 7x 1 putts.

Enough said, these thing happen. A little too regularly, but it was better to be playing golf than it would have been working:).

oz
13th September 2007, 07:38 PM
7 x 1 putts is solid Nice short game work, Grunt.

Chopper
13th September 2007, 07:47 PM
Played at Beverley Park today. Started out a bit shaky wiping the second hole and ended up with 16 pts after nine. Came out of the blocks on the back nine ending up with 25 pts to tally at 41pts. :) :)

I might have picked up a N/pin and shot par on 5 holes, must have 1 putted 4 or 5. Lost 1.1 off my handicap, all in all a good day out.:)

See how we cope in the Scramble at The Coast tomorrow.

Grunt
13th September 2007, 08:00 PM
Well Played Chopper. Not good timing to drop the shots the day before the scramble. Who is in your Scramble Team?

Chopper
13th September 2007, 10:12 PM
K.man and Coxy, 1 shot shouldnt make too much difference after it gets divided by 6.

leighthebee
14th September 2007, 01:22 PM
played Gailes in the Dingo day off the blues today. still getting used to the new swing (or say getting my head around it) and came straight off night shift to a 7.30am tee time.

not good. 102 gross, 94 net. probably won't get a ball. :-)

BrisVegas
14th September 2007, 01:54 PM
how was the course condition Leigh? Gailes looks pretty lush at the moment (from the train line)...

AndyP
14th September 2007, 02:08 PM
how was the course condition Leigh? Especially the greens? They have been pretty disappointing recently.

leighthebee
14th September 2007, 02:38 PM
fairways were good. nice and green.

greens however had more grain than the sahara. some of the worst i've ever come across. pretty tidy all up though considering.

pots were good.

not that i can comment really shooting ton +

PeteyD
14th September 2007, 04:53 PM
Snuck out to wynnum to play in a 4B today. Blew my chance to break 90 with a 7 on 17 after putting my drive on the road :(. Still a pretty good day for me, 4 pars, 9 bogies, 3 dubs, 2 triples to play a 91/70. and I did putt out every hole! 35 putts not so good. Did enjoy myself around a track that normally kills me.

ddasey
15th September 2007, 12:49 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Played in my first stableford competition today since obtaining a handicap (gee work really gets in the way of playing golf)

Anyway very :D 40 points.

Also kicking mysekf cause I had a wipe on the first, oh well.

BrisVegas
15th September 2007, 03:45 PM
Played 18 this morning with poidda at Brookwater. A couple of wipes and a couple of birdies and the rest was pretty poor.

85 gross for 30 points. (17 & 13)
8 fairways
8 GIR
32 putts

Interesting, Brookwater has re-index the entire course. I now get 5 shots on the front 9 and 2 on the back! If I drift out to an 8 hcap, I'll get yet another shot on the 9th. Crazy stuff.

Bruce
15th September 2007, 03:55 PM
Interesting, Brookwater has re-index the entire course. I now get 5 shots on the front 9 and 2 on the back! If I drift out to an 8 hcap, I'll get yet another shot on the 9th. Crazy stuff.

Does this match your percieved difficulty of these holes?

markTHEblake
15th September 2007, 03:59 PM
you think thats dumb, at emerald lakes when I am playing off 6 i get 4 of my strokes on Par 5's, two of which can reach in two shots with eyes closed.

oz
15th September 2007, 04:33 PM
Played the first round of the Club Champs at Thurgoona today. My short game was quite disappointing, but my ball striking and putting were solid enough. a pair of 39's for a 78 - nett 72 (par).

I think I just about made bogey on every green I missed, and after being pin high in 2 shots on 2 of the par 5's, I walked off with a par & a bogey. It was just not sharp chipping or pitching.

Otherwise, though, it was solid, and after round 1, I haven't shot myself in the foot, at least.

Fishman Dan
15th September 2007, 05:29 PM
My best worst round, or my worst best. I can't decide.

31 points included;

28 putts (including missing a 2 footer on the last).
No wipes.
No 3-putts
1 hazard

Hit the irons well, just not always in the right direction and not well enough when there was a tee underneath it.

BrisVegas
15th September 2007, 09:37 PM
Does this match your percieved difficulty of these holes?

Yeah, mostly. I now get a shot on the 3rd ( short, but tricky par 4) and the 6th (long par 4 with water that I always manage to find).

Unfortunately, I no longer get shots on the 10 (dog turd - Moe will explain) and the 13th (rollercoaster 550m par 5). The other holes are pretty right I reckon. The back 9 is definitely the easier of the two. Anyway, you can judge for yourself in a few weeks. 8)

mikezone13
16th September 2007, 10:26 AM
Played my home track yesterday early in the morning... the greens had been heavily sanded and were really fluffy and slow.

80 off the stick, nett 69 (all holed out) and 39 stab points
10 GIR
7/14 fairways
35 putts
1/7 up and downs
2 birds
8 pars
6 bogies
2 doubles

Just checked and my 39pts was good enough for a tie in A grade but I lost the 4 way count back, makes my chip and 3 putts on 12 look very expensive now.

All up happy with the score, but my ball striking was not as solid as it could be, back to 9.9 now.... single figures not far away.

Courty
16th September 2007, 11:11 AM
1st round of the 4BBB Stroke Champs yesterday (2nd round next Saturday). We set the course on fire with a blistering 70 nett. :roll: Weird day. On the front nine, the Superquad was simply awesome, and my irons were not far behind, but my chipping & putting was off. After the break, it reversed. I was hitting the ball off target, but chipping close and banging long putts in from everywhere. :roll:

goughy
16th September 2007, 12:09 PM
Played my first completely social round in years today. Just me and a mate. Hacked it around like a pro. Took over 4 hours for the 2 of us to go around; a group of 4 in front of us didn't feel like letting us through even though there was no one in front of them. We finished the 18th hole and they were still marking their cards. Bloody Middle Ridge snobs!!! ;)

Finally had some decent ball striking, and really got some drives away. Had driver/5i on the 6th to 30mtrs in front of the green. Had driver/7i to the 8th except the drive was in the trees and my cut 7i just ended up going further into the trees.

Gave the 1 iron a run. It may keep a place in the bag yet. I think it'll be good for when I need to hit a big slice out of the trees but also keep the ball low. My 3i still gets a bit high. It is a shot I have to play often during a round ;)

As most who've had a round with me lately will attest, I'm not a person who takes their golf too seriously. But today was even a new level of relaxation for me! I enjoyed it.

BTW, middle ridge was looking shmicko!!

And in case you missed it, that's two weekends of golf in a row for me... Might have to try and keep this ball rolling!

peter_rs
16th September 2007, 01:38 PM
played at st lucia yesterday with my bro in law, shazza and her bro for my b'day. 90 of the stick. it was just a bit of fun. on a good note no 3 putts

Played Southport today. 90 of the stick. it was a weird day. my driver was off/ my full swing was missing at times. I played the par 5's like a busted arse, 5,7,7,10. no 3 putts again ;) did have a 4 putt for bogie. :( I was shocked at the end of the round to find out I had only had 27 putts (including the 4 putt). its the first time under 30 putts in years. The new putter may have to say around.

nice course it would be good to play again now I have a idea of the course.

thanks to kent for the game. and my caddie shazza. kpac keep that driver its mint.

oz
16th September 2007, 02:05 PM
2nd Round of the Club Champs today at Thurgoona. Played solid. Hit plenty of greens early, but no great chances. Dropped a couple late with poor chips, and turned in 38 (+2). Started to roll some putts on the back 9, and made some birdies (11, 13, & 14). Home in 33 (-3)

38+33=71 (par 72) for a nett 65. That is a scratch PB (vs. par) for me in competition. :) Happy oz. :)

kpac
16th September 2007, 02:10 PM
thanks to kent for the game. and my caddie shazza. kpac keep that driver its mint.

Yeah - driver only positive for todays efforts.
Hot a cold no nobody's bussiness, started VERY slow - finished even WORSE - but a string of 5 pars then 2 bogey's in the middle help the scoreboard.

Really struggling now to play under handicap. Not due to bad striking or anything... just what i like to call f*(^ up's. 3 putts and not avoiding bunkers would be a good place for me to start.

LOVE the driver tho :smt023 this one is in the bag for good! :roll:

Cheers Pete and Shaz for the round - thanks for coming down - held up pretty well you two, after the worrying stories of the previous night on the first tee ;)

Courty
16th September 2007, 03:07 PM
Nice shooting, Oz. And in the Club Champs, too. How difficult were the tee & pin positions?

oz
16th September 2007, 03:43 PM
Thanks Courty. Tees were back on the plates, and some of the pins were tight. It got a bit windy over the last few holes, and it's still blowing a bit, so I don't know how the scores will finish up for the day. Putter kept me in the hunt all day. The Claw is king... :)

EDIT: Nett 65 was good enough on the day, which is nice. :)

chappy1970
17th September 2007, 01:49 PM
34 points on Saturday,
Not great, but not terrible....

Seemed like on every green I either lipped out or run the lip of the cup.

First round with the new putter and greens just coming back after being cored 2 weeks ago..

Not too disappointed, but alas another .1 out again.

Scoot
17th September 2007, 08:02 PM
Par event on Sat.

Managed to get to 3 up until the last 4 holes, were I lost a few, and ended up at even.

Best game since I got the new sticks though. Was pretty happy with the way I went.

Still had heaps of putts though.

mike
18th September 2007, 01:12 PM
Sunday 16th. Played better than my handicap would suggest for the first time this year. 40 points.

Golf is a great game.

:-s

AndyP
18th September 2007, 02:03 PM
15/09/2007, Town of Nambour Open Day 1

7/12 effective tee-shots.
3/18 effective approaches.
5/16 up & down successes (0/4 on one hole).
33 putts.
----------
5 pars.
10 bogeys.
1 double.
2 others.

Score (B9 1st) 41-46-87 nett 76 (Par 34-34-68 CCR 68 )

-----------------

16/09/2007, Town of Nambour Open Day 2

7/12 effective tee-shots.
6/18 effective approaches.
6/9 up & down successes.
33 putts.
----------
1 birdie.
9 pars.
5 bogeys.
3 doubles.

Score 37-41-78 nett 67 (Par 34-34-68 CCR 68 )

-----------------

Although I don't like making swing changes when playing, I never practice, so on Saturday I decided to try to bring my legs and hips back into my swing. It made my distances go a little wacky, but it wasn't a disaster. I don't think I was backswinging enough to increase distance though.

It was pretty scrappy play and I struggled to get the chips close enough to one putt enough on the first day, but improved on the second. The softer greens after some rain may have helped. Overall, I think I had way too many three putts on the weekend, and was inconsistent with the longer putts.

The drives were a lot better than the St Michael's effort, but there were still a couple of shockers in there.

Overall, I'm pretty happy to have comeback after the first day, and have a huge drop of 0.1 in my handicap for the weekend. My score was equal 2nd in A grade for the Sunday, but I probably got done on countback. I would have been around 5th for the two day nett score too.

Next Round: 28/9, Holden Scramble @ Gailes with kpac.