PDA

View Full Version : What to do when there is a lightning storm?

Ducky
11th September 2007, 04:48 AM
=;

Courty
11th September 2007, 07:01 AM
Don't use your umbrella if it has a steel shaft. Don't stand under trees. The old saying was to lie flat on the ground away from any structures/ trees.

Ducky
11th September 2007, 07:19 AM
=;

terryand
11th September 2007, 07:51 AM
If the club is doing their job and sound the siren, hightail it back to the clubhouse.

Terry.

Toolish
11th September 2007, 07:56 AM
Don't lie on the ground, crouch on the balls of your feet, preferably in a valley away from trees and your clubs.

You want to be as low as possible but also minimise contact area with the ground.

kpac
11th September 2007, 08:01 AM
:shock: just go inside......

AndyP
11th September 2007, 08:05 AM
Try to harness the 1.21 gigiwatts to power the flux capacitor in your DeLorean time machine.

PeteyD
11th September 2007, 08:06 AM
The lightning could still have hit the tree and not damaged it. It is weird like that, particularly if the man or the clubs were touching the tree.

BrisVegas
11th September 2007, 08:17 AM
Those Pings look as good as new.

Flowergirl
11th September 2007, 08:54 AM
Lie down flat in a bunker - I think that's the advice in our club book.
Pretty scary stuff.:shock:

Fishman Dan
11th September 2007, 09:03 AM
Try to harness the 1.21 gigiwatts to power the flux capacitor in your DeLorean time machine.

That could be the nerdiest thing I read all day.

Swinging a club through highly humidified air can create some sort of negative ion field or something which is highly attractive to lightning. Some physicist among us might be able to elaborate on that.... or Jono.

pt73
11th September 2007, 09:05 AM
Lee Trevino was asked this years ago and he quipped "Hold your 1 iron in the air as even God can't hit a 1 iron".

PT

Choppa
11th September 2007, 09:11 AM
See, this is why I never play in the rain. It's far too dangerous ;)

Moe Norman
11th September 2007, 09:32 AM
just stand next to a tall bloke

Jarro
11th September 2007, 11:54 AM
See, this is why I never play in the rain. It's far too dangerous ;)

My thoughts exactly :smt023

I wouldn'te ven think of heading out on a golf course if i knew there was a chance of a lightning storm

mike
11th September 2007, 12:41 PM
just stand next to a tall bloke

This is why lightning doesn't scare me.

:mrgreen:

Jarro
11th September 2007, 12:44 PM
This is why lightning doesn't scare me.

:mrgreen:

Yeah .. shortarse:razz:

3oneday
11th September 2007, 01:33 PM
Make sure your clubs are insured ;)

mike
26th December 2011, 08:44 PM
Out for a social hit this arv with thunder and lightning in the distance and we stuck around a bit too long. On the 6th green I happened to look over to the clubhouse and saw a tree hit by lightning. It was pretty bizarre, the lightning bolt just seemed to hang there and the base of the tree ignited.
We had a nervous 500 m walk back to the car. I'll have to go out tomorrow and check the tree.

Scary shit.

PerryGroves
26th December 2011, 08:48 PM
Walk back to the club with my umbrella up, if it's my time, so be it. I have survived QLD drivers, lightening won't get me.

AndyP
26th December 2011, 09:49 PM
=;+1

WBennett
26th December 2011, 09:52 PM
Out for a social hit this arv with thunder and lightning in the distance and we stuck around a bit too long. On the 6th green I happened to look over to the clubhouse and saw a tree hit by lightning. It was pretty bizarre, the lightning bolt just seemed to hang there and the base of the tree ignited.
Scary shit.

I was playing softball a couple of years ago when a light tower 30m away from me was hit. I have never run so f*&king fast in my life.

Courty
26th December 2011, 10:46 PM
I'll have to go out tomorrow and check the tree pics?

mike
26th December 2011, 11:57 PM
pics?OK. I'll see if I can pinpoint the tree. We were on the 6th green and it hit one of the trees near the 1st tee, not sure which one. It should be all black and charred.

TheNuclearOne
27th December 2011, 02:47 AM
Many years ago a storm came, we were renting a flat. I just happened to look out as lightning struck the top of the powerpole straight across the road from our front door. Power went off immediately, quite a sight.

I still wonder whether my old VL Turbo was hit by lightning driving up a range one night. There was a big bright flash, all electrics in the car dies as it started to die itself. Then just as suddenly everything kicked back in at once including acceleration. Surely we were hit.

BrettM
27th December 2011, 07:46 AM
It doesn't just hit trees or other vertical objects. We had a bolt hit the 9th fairway at Sea Temple without warning earlier this year. The storm had already moved through and this came behind it:

http://seatemplecoursemaintenance.blogspot.com/2011/01/direct-hit.html

TheTrueReview
27th December 2011, 08:03 AM
The great Bobby Jones had a brush with lightning in 1930.

"On one occasion, when we were playing at East Lake," he recalled this summer, "we had quit the game on the 12th green because of a severe thunderstorm. While a friend and I were walking in front of the clubhouse under an umbrella, lightning struck the main chimney of the clubhouse and hurtled a large chunk of brick and mortar through our umbrella. A jagged edge of the mass ripped my shirt and put a scratch about six inches long on my right shoulder. A few inches more in my direction would have produced a very serious injury."

Sydney Hacker
27th December 2011, 03:10 PM
I was playing cricket once when we were hit by a lightening storm with the whole place being lit up.

While waiting it out in the sheds the opening bat turned to a mate and suggested we go out as we were batting and the lightening was more likely to strike our bats, and as we all know timber doesn't conduct electricity.

The opening bowler just looked at him and asked if he has ever seen what lightening did to a tree!

mike
27th December 2011, 03:23 PM
Our house had a direct hit about six years ago. Blew the antenna to smithereens and arced out through the gas line and set the bearer alight under the house. The flames were licking at the 45kg gas cylinders when I doused the flames. Pretty stupid of me, I should have just run like hell.

Courty
27th December 2011, 04:41 PM
Did you get any more this arve, Mike? Cracker of a storm down here a bit over an hour ago.

TheNuclearOne
27th December 2011, 09:54 PM
Another one i had was at the rocky golf club. I was as far away from the club house as i could be, down near 15 tee or close. Rain starts pouring and next thing it's on. Raced up to the dunny at 14 tee. Waited a bit then thought bugger it, i'm wet anyways. Little bit of thunder and lightning. Me not having a clue walked right under the tree line along 5. Halfway along lightning hit the course, looked a fair way away. turned out later it had decimated a tree around 7 or 8, only four or five hundred meters away. Next time i would just sit tight.

mike
28th December 2011, 01:18 AM
Did you get any more this arve, Mike? Cracker of a storm down here a bit over an hour ago.Nah mate. Went to Lake Eacham this morning and we drove through a ripper on the way home.