PDA

View Full Version : Belly Putters

Pinglauncher
6th September 2007, 07:04 PM
I go through stages where my putting gets very ordinary and it is always decelerating as the cause.

I used to putt with a broomstick putter a few years ago when my back was bad and putted very well and decels never seemed an issue.

I have recently played around with the idea of getting a belly putter. I have hit putts with them in Golf Mart etc and it really seems to help with the release of the putter. Not too sure how I would go on course with one but I think practice wise it could be very good to help get my stroke back on track.

What sort of experiences have users of the "belly" had.

Jarro
6th September 2007, 07:09 PM
I've never tried it myself, but i know of at least 2 OzGolfers that have had great success with the belly-putting.

Just get yourself a cheapy to start with and take it out for a whirl, see what happens. I'm betting you'll probably start putting better right away, particularly as you said you used it successfully before.

Good luck 8)

goughy
6th September 2007, 07:29 PM
I've tried it like 3 times, but could never get the feel for it. In the end my putting stats were no better than when using a short putter so I reverted.

Ducky
6th September 2007, 09:39 PM
=;

3oneday
6th September 2007, 10:04 PM
Ever since trying a belly (well, several in fact :)) I have felt that whilst standard length for me is OK, nothing has been as solid as when I was using the belly putter.

I could roll them dead from 50 feet, but I was deadly with it inside 6 feet as well. As long as you get the right length, thats the clincher.

I'll lend you one of mine, just restocking again now ;)

Courty
6th September 2007, 10:10 PM
I'll lend you one of mine, just restocking again now ;)

:roll:

3oneday
6th September 2007, 10:23 PM
shudup

Ducky
6th September 2007, 10:53 PM
=;

3oneday
6th September 2007, 11:23 PM
Trial and error to some extent.

I am 5'10", started with a 43" and thought it was too long, then went to a 41" and felt it was too short :confused:

Then I worked out the most comfy spot for the grip, which was either in, or next to the belly button. This proved that 43" was perfect, bearing in mind you should be still taking a normal stance with eyes over the ball ;)

Ducky
6th September 2007, 11:33 PM
=;

andylo
7th September 2007, 07:22 AM
What 3oneday say.

3oneday
7th September 2007, 08:02 AM
I have used a DFX 2 ball, which was heel, and a Monza Corza Mid, which was centre.

Much of a muchness.

kwantfm
7th September 2007, 08:06 AM
I had an absolutely dream run with a demo belly putter... took it to Royal Sydney and putted the absolute lights out. I then got one custom made (around 41" and I'm about the same height as 3oneday) and couldn't putt with it. Totally lost the mojo!

Haven't used a belly since although I have a TM Monza Corza Mid sitting in the cupboard.

3oneday
7th September 2007, 09:09 AM
Haven't used a belly since although I have a TM Monza Corza Mid sitting in the cupboard.the Corza feel great off the face too, interesting that you used 41", different strokes for different folks I guess. I just couldn't seem to connect with the 41".

Bet you that's a big cupboard. :lol:

Pinglauncher
7th September 2007, 09:35 AM
I have a TM Monza Corza Mid sitting in the cupboard.

Mmmm that's a cupboard I would love to have 8)

kwantfm
7th September 2007, 11:08 AM
The cupboard is ridiculous at the moment... had considered taking some pics and putting them in a post labeled "When will the madness end?" but decided that it was all just too embarrassing.

billybaub
7th September 2007, 11:32 AM
Try getting a short belly putter and holding it like a hockey stick. Only way I can putt now.

Ive got a Cleveland Gutcheck at 41" and its great. Didn't have as much success with the Ping Anser B at the same length but the results wernt bad

Ducky
7th September 2007, 04:36 PM
=;

3oneday
7th September 2007, 04:55 PM
When I was first considering it I googled it.... I think I types "how to use a belly putter" I thought someone might know ;)

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-To-Use-Long-Putters&id=240192

Ducky
7th September 2007, 05:01 PM
=;

sms316
3rd July 2009, 12:52 PM
Never thought I would say this. A 2 ball mid-length is getting a start tomorrow.
:oops:

3oneday
3rd July 2009, 12:59 PM
Shame shame shame.

I had 29 putts with mine last weekend :lol:

Matt 3 Jab
3rd July 2009, 01:02 PM
Got 2 broomsticks at home

Golf is getting a 2nd life and the end of a long handle

Yossarian
3rd July 2009, 01:19 PM
Shouldn't this thread be called

"Belly Putters; Ghey or Really Ghey?"

:)

sms316
3rd July 2009, 01:27 PM
Nah. Western Australians; 2 hours behind or just dumb as dog shit?
:mrgreen:

3oneday
3rd July 2009, 01:41 PM
It's about enjoyment at the end of the day, not what someone thinks of your swing or equipment.

If putting ruins your enjoyment, find something that gives it back.

Yossarian
3rd July 2009, 01:57 PM
It's about enjoyment at the end of the day, not what someone thinks of your swing or equipment.

If putting ruins your enjoyment, find something that gives it back.

I agree, tour specials rock.

3oneday
3rd July 2009, 02:25 PM
I agree, tour specials rock.true, but you haven't lived until you've hit a topflite ;)

goughy
3rd July 2009, 07:49 PM
Never thought I would say this. A 2 ball mid-length is getting a start tomorrow.

Our passed co-founder Jaster used on of these for a while. While he didn't find it exciting he had a long stretch without any 3 putts. More than 90 holes in a row with no 3 putts, including his stretch through to our clubs matchplay runner-up.

The only reason he benched it was because he felt he wasn't sinking enough of those mid lenght putts where the odd one will drop. They just weren't going in. After he got rid of it he regretted it because it was the most consistant he ever putted.

razaar
3rd July 2009, 07:52 PM
Well keep your belly quiet.
:lol:

sms316
4th July 2009, 08:44 PM
Well keep your belly quiet.
:lol:
The only surprise with this post is that it took that long for someone to say it. :wink:

Match report - had 31 putts with the belly putter this afternoon in really windy conditions, with 2 x 3 stabs. Didn't feel natural at all on the front nine. Then holed a 40ft bomb on the 10th and was all good.

The verdict - shocking from long range.

Will I use it again? Unlikely.

u8ergolfer
4th July 2009, 09:11 PM
The verdict - shocking from long range.

Will I use it again? Unlikely.

See now, I tried one or two, but sacked it for the opposite reason.. I was the other way with em.. Solid as with em 4ft and under, but in the wind, the long putting was dreadful..

sms316
4th July 2009, 09:15 PM
It was funny. It was once I made an effort to stand upright that the gut-putter felt like it had a repeatable stroke. Was OK, but no better than an average day with the normal putter.

u8ergolfer
4th July 2009, 09:19 PM
I have never really felt like you could set up comfortable with em if conditions dictated.. strong wind for example..and as for using it form the fringe, well theres another issue too..

daMANiack
5th July 2009, 07:43 PM
Hi,

Just converted my Odyssey XG Marxman 34" standard putter to 43" Belly Putter and it's working real well.

I used to be inconsistent with length as I tended to pickup the putter and drop onto the ball sometimes, make it shoot.

The belly has stopped the inconsistent strokes and from 12 feet in, a real chance of sinking,

Putts of 20 feet and longer are tougher to judge distance, but with patience you can do. Let's face it, even if you leave a long putt 6 feet short, the belly makes it easier to sink that one.

Cheerz :) :D ;)

razaar
5th July 2009, 07:46 PM
Putts of 20 feet and longer are tougher to judge distance, but with patience you can do. Let's face it, even if you leave a long putt 6 feet short, the belly makes it easier to sink that one.

:shock:

daMANiack
5th July 2009, 10:16 PM
Hi,

:D :wink:

:shock:

Yossarian
5th July 2009, 11:56 PM
Man you love emoticons.

oz
6th July 2009, 07:23 AM
I bought a broomstick this week, after an on-course demo in the Monthly Medal. Strangely, it is the consistency on long putts that drove me to consider one, and it closed the deal.

I made decent number of putts, and it felt good from long range - even from the fringe. Were it not for some poor ball striking, the 75 could have been a few lower.

Courty
6th July 2009, 04:30 PM
I was in Haysey's office this afternoon and noticed he had no less than 3 belly putters. :shock:

3oneday
6th July 2009, 05:24 PM
That Kombi belly is sweet 8)

Courty
6th July 2009, 05:26 PM
That Kombi belly is sweet 8)

Now that it's been extended, it's more like a chin putter. :shock:

;)

haysey
6th July 2009, 05:30 PM
Pffft. Midget:razz:

and there's twice as many ordinary putters as belly putters8)

3oneday
6th July 2009, 08:12 PM
and there's twice as many ordinary putters as belly putters8)

nice choice of words :lol: