PDA

View Full Version : Ball advice !!

ddasey
3rd September 2007, 10:20 AM
Just hoping to gain a little advice. :-s

Currently I am using a ProV1. I really like the feel of this ball and the way that I seem to hit it compared to other balls.

Obviously the cost of these limits it to a now and then ball.

What I am hoping is that the learned members of this site may be able to make some suggestions of balls that have the same soft feel but won't cost me a second mortage.

Cheers

:smt023

BrisVegas
3rd September 2007, 10:26 AM
yeah, buy Near Mint ProV1's from brookwaterballs for $2.50 or the Praccy/X-outs for $1.50. Only way i can afford to play a decent ball.

Fishman Dan
3rd September 2007, 10:26 AM
Titleist NXT Tour.

ddasey
3rd September 2007, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the fast replies. :)

kpac
3rd September 2007, 10:33 AM
buy 2nd hand is the best advice you'll ever get!
that brookwaterballs guy seems a hit with other members - outside of that there are plenty on ebay

add to that i'd try hogan apex tours if you can track them down - i think they have a good feel

leighthebee
7th September 2007, 11:34 AM
heh. pro v's are pro v's for a reason. second hand is the way to go if you don't want to fork out for new.

Moe Norman
7th September 2007, 01:15 PM
I still prefer a new ball myself.

I've been using a variety lately, and have narrowed it down to a small rotation, depending whats going cheap.

Bridgestone B330S
Precept U-Tri Tour
Srixon ZUR C

if really desperate, Nike One Platinum.

None quite provide the ProV1 performance, but I've never paid more than $40 a dozen for any of them.

Jarro
7th September 2007, 01:19 PM
As was said earlier, Brookwaterballs suppliers mint 2nd hand Prov1's for $2.50 a pill ..... great value, and the balls are as new.

dc68
7th September 2007, 01:42 PM
Listen to Jarro he really knows balls.

scarfie1
7th September 2007, 02:31 PM
I get mint Nike Platinum for about $1.80 at my local shop, i like them better than prov's

Ducky
7th September 2007, 04:42 PM
=;

Courty
7th September 2007, 05:11 PM
I've been using some Srixon Z-URS I got from my proshop on credit (they don't stock ProV's) and have been suitably impressed. They are now my No. 2 choice after ProV1's.

Fishman Dan
7th September 2007, 07:17 PM
I played with a new Titleist NXT Tour again today after a spell... I don't know why I changed away from them. They feel great and there's no distance loss against the premium balls in my view.

Moe Norman
7th September 2007, 08:20 PM
probably noticed no distance loss because NXT Tours are small bits of concrete painted white.

PeteyD
7th September 2007, 09:20 PM
Harsh call Moe.

leighthebee
7th September 2007, 11:06 PM
probably noticed no distance loss because NXT Tours are small bits of concrete painted white.

LOL. That is too funny.

Seriously, and I'm not directing this at anyone in particular, but I wonder if anyone would play any other ball if the ProV was $3 a ball new. It is still THE benchmark when people compare balls.

Will Titty ever lose that mantle?

PeteyD
8th September 2007, 01:34 PM
If they were $3 I would use nothing else. But $30 a sleeve of 3 (at Reddy Bay Pro Shop) is just too much.

Moe Norman
8th September 2007, 02:47 PM
LOL. That is too funny.

Seriously, and I'm not directing this at anyone in particular, but I wonder if anyone would play any other ball if the ProV was $3 a ball new. It is still THE benchmark when people compare balls.

Will Titty ever lose that mantle?
I actually think the HX Tour 56 and the premium Taylor Made balls are just as good.

They are also just as expensive, so I don't use them either 8-)

Fishman Dan
8th September 2007, 05:42 PM
LOL. That is too funny.

It is? I'm taking wild stab here, but I'm guessing Moe wouldn't have lowered his standards to have ever used one. Moe - why not tell us what non-premium ball you would use, instead of constantly tell us what you won't? ;)

Not to worry PeteyD, more for us.

Iain
8th September 2007, 05:46 PM
Just get 2nd hand balls. Of all reports brookwaterballs is very good, so I will be getting somefrom him soon.

Jarro
8th September 2007, 06:12 PM
Just get 2nd hand balls. Of all reports brookwaterballs is very good, so I will be getting somefrom him soon.

Exactly.

... for $2.50 a pop, step into the real world for a change.

Except you Moe, i know you wont lower yourself to play used pills, no matter how good condition they're in ;)

Eag's
8th September 2007, 06:17 PM
The balls I got from Mark at Brookwater balls were the best 2nd hand pills I have ever seen :D I won't be wasting good money on brand new balls anymore ;)

markTHEblake
8th September 2007, 06:49 PM
but I wonder if anyone would play any other ball if the ProV was $3 a ball new.

I last purchased a new golf ball in 6 or 7 years, and still have 6 of those left - ever since I have only used 2nd hand ProV1s from various sources. So I guess if they were cheaper I would still only use them.

The only time I have used anything but a ProV is when I have been given another type of ball. Tried the Srixon Z-URS today and it seems pretty good, I am thinking that it might even have more spin that the ProV.

Titleist spends so much money on making themselves the #1 ball in golf I cant help thinking that if they use anything else they are losing ground. I have no idea if there is genuinely a better ball out there, nor if there is really a valid way to find out.

markTHEblake
8th September 2007, 06:53 PM
Except you Moe, i know you wont lower yourself to play used pills, no matter how good condition they're in ;)

I wonder what he did with the 2nd hand balls I sold him then - probably did a Kramer with em I guess.