PDA

View Full Version : Warne's Top 50

McCoy
1st September 2007, 09:16 PM
Here (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/columnists/shane_warne/article2364258.ece)
What a week for sport, the Johns saga and now this. It's not often you get such a display of petulance in a self congratulatory article but if anyone could do it, the one and only SK Warne could.
Basically it centers around Warne putting Steve Waugh at 26 in his list of top 50 players. Warne belittles Waugh's batting, doesn't mention his bowling or his ODI record, and basically claims Waugh's success as captain was solely down to inheriting Mark Taylor's team.

Hysterically funny for so many reasons.

kpac
1st September 2007, 09:45 PM
Pretty stupid list in general really... it's just warnes snapshot of his generation - blinkered!

Only highlight is some truths that pop out here and there - i don't mind what is raised about waugh... just saying he struggled against the short ball, and that he was handed the best team of all time <- that much i think is true, probably should have mentioned one of the greatest test innings of all time, in the WI's back in 95 Frank Worrell throphy

Courty
1st September 2007, 10:06 PM
Where do you reckon Warne rates himself on that list? :roll:

damoocow
1st September 2007, 10:31 PM
Top 4 seems ok to me BUT................... Healy at 10 ha ha ha / Brett Lee at 24 - Warne must have been high / Hayden at 17 , laughable ! / Mark Waugh at 12 - I guess self confessed cheats all stick together...........and for what it's worth I don't rate Steve Waugh at all - always played the game for himself and not for the team, was always more interested in his own persona and 'average' than his country

damoocow

Moe Norman
1st September 2007, 10:34 PM
Pretty stupid list in general really... it's just warnes snapshot of his generation - blinkered!

Only highlight is some truths that pop out here and there - i don't mind what is raised about waugh... just saying he struggled against the short ball, and that he was handed the best team of all time <- that much i think is true, probably should have mentioned one of the greatest test innings of all time, in the WI's back in 95 Frank Worrell throphy

perhaps it was the greatest team of all time because Waugh was in it?

Warney is still dirty on Waugh dropping him in the Windies for Magilla.

The Holy Grail was beating the West Indies in the West Indies, Waugh did alot more towards achieving that than SK Warne.

raidrboy
1st September 2007, 10:47 PM
Top 4 seems ok to me BUT................... Healy at 10 ha ha ha / Brett Lee at 24 - Warne must have been high / Hayden at 17 , laughable ! / Mark Waugh at 12 - I guess self confessed cheats all stick together...........and for what it's worth I don't rate Steve Waugh at all - always played the game for himself and not for the team, was always more interested in his own persona and 'average' than his country

damoocow

Warne stated that Waugh was a match saver and not a match winner is a statement that often comes up in cricket circles but, to rate Darren Lehman above Waugh makes me think Warney was out in the England midday sun drinking too much raspberry cordial.

Moe Norman
1st September 2007, 11:12 PM
When you bat #5 and #6 your whole career, you'll save more matches than you win.

I'm pretty sure he won us a few matches off his own bat in the 1999 World Cup. 1989 Ashes, 1993 Ashes, 1994 in South Africa, 1995 Frank Worrell, 1997 Ashes, the list goes on...

Stupid stupid comments, not to mention the fact that he wa the man brave enough to take it up to the great sides from the West Indies, having the courage to bounce Sir Viv as a 20 year old then cop the barrage in return.

Suggesting he was weak against the shortball is a joke. In his youth he was a happy hooker, he soon learnt his lesson and just copped them on the body. This looked awkward, but he never got out.

McCoy
2nd September 2007, 09:12 AM
I remember Steve Waugh getting out to the short ball in the 95 WI series. Kenny Benjamin bounced him, Waugh gloved it to slip and he was on his way. S Waugh ct Lara b K Benjamin 200

And the low rating of Gilchrist compared to Healy? No one would question that Healy was a better keeper. But Gilchrist has redefined the keeper/batsman role, won numerous tests and ODIs with the bat. Oh and he also captained the side that won in India for the first time in 30 odd years, the other Holy Grail of Australian cricket.
Then again it's well known that the 2 never got along that well and Warne was quoted as saying, "Australia should be captained by the Fonz (Warne) and not Richie Cunningham (Gilchrist)". Which is arguably one of the more hilarious quotes of all time.

jimandr
2nd September 2007, 05:57 PM
Warnie may have shown why the selectors were wise to overlook him as captain. He's picked some of his best mates rather than made a serious attempt to rank the top 50 since 1990.

I didn't read all the 'reader comments' but the few that appeared at the bottom of each article were interesting. You can see how patriotism affects people's judgement.