PDA

View Full Version : Gailes 28/9 Holden Scamble Player wanted

kpac
30th August 2007, 06:49 AM
Good morning all.
Played a Holden scramble last month with my boss and one other - and enjoyed the new format so tracked down another one to play.
Gailes on Friday 28th of September.
The other player cant make it due to being on a friday - so i'm trying to track down a 3rd member to join us. It's a midday start if that helps anyone.
Check our the holden scramble website for the new format if you havent heard about it - much better this year with all three members teeing off each hole then the player shot taken drops out for the next shot only. Works out that you still get to play plenty of shots - but it's not a 6 hour round like the old ambrose format. Also suppose to limit the buglaries - however that is questionable...

If someone is keen to play please let me know.
ta

AndyP
30th August 2007, 09:13 AM
Friday the 28th?
Cost?

kpac
30th August 2007, 09:26 AM
Friday the 28th?
Cost?

my bad - updated date in post.

Cost - i think $30 for round and comp inc 6 balls but i'll check.

AndyP
30th August 2007, 03:30 PM
If all details are correct, then I think I could be the player you need.

I'm coming off a couple of pretty solid scores at Gailes too. It doesn't scare me anymore.8-[

kpac
30th August 2007, 03:40 PM
Yes mate details are correct - $30 including 2 sleeves - tee off at midday... you in?

AndyP
30th August 2007, 03:46 PM
Lock it in!

shazza_rs
30th August 2007, 06:16 PM
Lock it in!

I feel sorry for you already kpac..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

You'll find he'll stumble along nicely til you get towards the end of the round.... thats when he becomes a 'liability'. :twisted:

kpac
30th August 2007, 07:42 PM
I feel sorry for you already kpac..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

You'll find he'll stumble along nicely til you get towards the end of the round.... thats when he becomes a 'liability'. :twisted:

haha - thanks for the word of warning shaz...

AndyP
30th August 2007, 07:51 PM
Do you hit it short and right, kpac? If not, there shouldn't be too many problems.

kpac
30th August 2007, 07:59 PM
zing.....

AndyP
24th September 2007, 08:51 AM
Are we still on for this kpac? I hope so.

What's the handicap of our third?

I'll bring my course guide. ;)

kpac
24th September 2007, 10:01 AM
Are we still on for this kpac? I hope so.

What's the handicap of our third?

I'll bring my course guide. ;)

yep still a goer mate - Third team member is off 15. but i played the glades with him on saturday and he shot 77 :shock: off the black markers aswell :roll: hopefully he can bring that game on friday!

BrisVegas
29th September 2007, 08:30 PM
how'd you guys go in the scramble ?

kpac
30th September 2007, 11:24 AM
:roll: didn't really set the world alight....
Few bogies killed us, approach shots weren't close enough and as for the greens :smt013 :smt013 at a conservative guess there was another 3 shots off our score if the greens were true - but they're the breaks. Cheers to AP for the round - AP played the "safe" role well :smt038.
was an interesting format, not my favourite format of golf - but enjoyable all the same.

AndyP
30th September 2007, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the invite, k-man, it was fun.

It was an interesting format, but frustrating as you never have the chance to get any individual momentum going. I was disappointed with my irons form, but that's not where I get my 11 cap from. kpac was the dominant driver getting them out there and giving us good opportunities at greens. But those greens were really pissing me off. I felt my putting was in the zone on the back nine, and I had to constantly watch my nice online putts get jagged around by the cored greens.

Not enough greens, not enough putts sinking for us.
We had a nett 5 under, 68 off a handicap of 7 (11/15/16).

We had one guy behind us who was hitting the ball well over 300m. He rolled it onto the 8th green from around the ladies tee (330m-ish), into the bunker 40m back on the 14th, and to just short of the green on the 16th. So with that in mind, you'd think he'd wait until we were off the 17th green before hitting up. Nope! We got the call of fore only to see it fly the green, and end up a good way down the road OOB. Sucked in.

goughy
30th September 2007, 03:48 PM
They had cored greens for the Holden Scramble!!! Maybe the HS doesn't have the luster it did years ago.

peter_rs
30th September 2007, 06:04 PM
with the change in format I know a few clubs who have dropped it as a event.

Grunt
30th September 2007, 06:12 PM
Pete, the change actually is for the better in my opinion. Was Faster and it is now harder for the burglars to win it.

kpac
30th September 2007, 06:25 PM
totally agree, far better format for a structured competition, still prefer individual events but in so far as team events it's not bad.

AndyP
30th September 2007, 06:30 PM
Better format for fairness and pace. Worse format for enjoyment of play.

peter_rs
30th September 2007, 07:08 PM
It may be faster but I don't see it as a fairness thing. It makes it more a teams event. Any comp can have burglars. You could just view it as people have one more rule to break.

I think it limits the feild a little in that everyone in the team has to be a avg player (or better), its not worth having the high hcp female or male to increase the team hcp. and hope for a few good holes.

I dont have issuse with the ambrose format. You know you have to go low.

BrisVegas
30th September 2007, 08:25 PM
i played the holden scramble today at brookwater. We had an old guy as our 3rd who wasn't a bad putter, but didn't help with any tee shots or approaches. Makes it a tough day when you really only get one crack at the second shot...

We had 3 under gross, with a 5.8 hcap.