PDA

View Full Version : I.T. advice please.

wavemaker
27th August 2007, 06:52 PM
Gooday all, having a schooner after golf today and one of the bar staff asked me if I wanted her old computer. She reckons it's about 5 years old. She was concerned that there was stuff on it she wanted wiped off the comp before giving it to me. So the Q is, how do you wipe the C drive clean. I will prolly put another Linux distro on it so I'm not worried about cleaning it right out. What's the go? Thanks in advance. Regards, James

markTHEblake
27th August 2007, 07:32 PM
Forensic Software can extract data that has been overwritten 6-8 times (roughly).

There is software you can get that will overwrite the harddrive several more times to clean it.

Ask yourself the question, does she work for ASIO, is she a wanted criminal, is it possible she has her private nooky pictures on it.

Trust me, as she is novice enough to ask the question she will believe anything. Tell her you already wiped it and save yourself any hassles.

Like I mean, who really cares enough to look that closely at an old hard drive? :-)

McCoy
27th August 2007, 07:44 PM
Is she hot? Did she have access to a video camera?

During the install of your distro you should be given the option of what to do with the drive. Just blast it then.

peter_rs
27th August 2007, 08:31 PM
run in a cmd window-
-fdisk
or
-format c:

"just tell her to trust u"

wavemaker
27th August 2007, 08:52 PM
Thanks folks, pretty much as I imagined it would be. I think it was her internet banking details she was most worried about.

Fishman Dan
28th August 2007, 08:49 AM
Thanks folks, pretty much as I imagined it would be. I think it was her internet banking details she was most worried about.

Is that all? Everyone has a copy of that. Want me to e-mail it to you?

wavemaker
28th August 2007, 08:57 AM
C'mon Dan, don't do that to me.