PDA

View Full Version : Fedex cup and tiger!

goughy
24th August 2007, 09:04 PM
So, I wonder if the tour management are excited that tiger decided to not play the first ever tournament of the fedex cup? Will he make it to the second. Can he even play the second if he misses this one? I'm guessing with the amount of points he has and if the eliminations are based on points standing that he will be able to play in the next one.

Any odds on tiger still winning the fedex cup yet missing, say, 2 of the tournaments?

scarfie1
24th August 2007, 09:23 PM
Basicaly he can play only the last tournament as he is gauranteed of being in the top 30 after 3 tournaments even if he does not play. Furthermore It is not a requirement that a player plays each round of the playoffs, but in doing so they are relying on their points to carry them through...i.e top 72 I think after the 1st Tournament and only top 30 for the last one.

goughy
24th August 2007, 09:38 PM
Ok, so he has enough points to make it all the way now. I do think they wouldn't be happy that the No.1 player in the world and fedex cup point leader (by a country mile) decides to miss out on the inaugural tournament.

scarfie1
24th August 2007, 10:12 PM
Yeah maybe they should have made it a requirement to compete in every one, much like a normal playoffs like the NRL or whatever

oz
24th August 2007, 10:24 PM
While there are a few obvious flaws in the inaugural event, I like the concept. Especially the re-positioning of points going into the first round. Really levels out the playing field.

I think Eldrick is psyching out the field.... he is saying to them "I can beat you all, and to prove it, I will give you all a weeks' head-start".... he is probably right, too.

Iain
25th August 2007, 11:28 AM
Tiger has never played 4 weeks in a row, and I doubt that he ever will. If they tried to force him to play in all 4, I think he wouldn't of played any....

peter_rs
25th August 2007, 04:50 PM
Goughy with the points rest tiger only has a 1000 (http://www.pgatour.com/r/stats/current/02395.html) point lead. If anyone in the top 46 wins they will have more points. Tiger has committed playing to the second week.

Ian within reason I don't think tiger would mis a major event because he was made to play 4 weeks in arow (I know he has not played 4 in arow for a while). but I think the fed cup title and $10 million cash would push him over the starting line.

The only thing I'm not sure off is if the fedex cup winner should be the points leader at the end or the winner of the tours champs. Once you get to the top 30 I think anyone should be able to win. it could take the edge of sunday if you have a 10m one putt for the win but two putt for the fedex win.

goughy
25th August 2007, 05:04 PM
I realise that the points system changes once the fedex cup starts - I was just saying that I would think that they would be disappointed that the leader at the end of the points season (by a country mile) isn't playing the first event.

Just my guess. He's the only player in the 144 who didn't play I think.

peter_rs
25th August 2007, 07:08 PM
i believe six are not playing.

mike
7th September 2007, 01:43 PM
Do Tiger, Phil and Ernie actually care about the money ?

Fishman Dan
7th September 2007, 07:19 PM
Interesting point made by Nick Faldo during the commentry - if a player goes on to win $10m in annuity until he's aged 45, where's the incentive to play in the Champions Tour?

goughy
8th September 2007, 11:27 AM
There'll be plenty of incentive to play the champs tour. By then tiger will have $150m in annuity's to collect. He's only 30 now.

goughy
10th September 2007, 07:38 AM
Tiger by two with a couple to play, badds in second with 2 to third. Scott may hold on to 4th.

Hasn't stricker pulled his finger out. He's playing some golf lately, and maybe could hold tiger off for the fedex cup win yet.

Eag's
10th September 2007, 09:23 AM
Is it just me or is everyone else bored with Tiger winning every week? :neutral:
I know he is the best golfer to ever walk the planet but his wins just become so routine, it lacks a bit of interest. :smt099

peter_rs
10th September 2007, 09:52 AM
It gets better.

even if phil wins next week tiger wins the fedex with a second.

on the coverage today they said unless tiger and phil with draw only people in the two 5 can win.

Grunt
10th September 2007, 09:53 AM
Also getting sick of the fact that a bloke can shoot 4 rounds in the 60's and still not get within cooee of the lead. 20+ under should not be happening, should it?

3oneday
10th September 2007, 09:55 AM
It used to be a big deal to shoot 4 rounds in the 60's, the top 5 in this tourny all did it !!!

Trung
10th September 2007, 09:57 AM
Also getting sick of the fact that a bloke can shoot 4 rounds in the 60's and still not get within cooee of the lead. 20+ under should not be happening, should it?

and why not Grant?

Grunt
10th September 2007, 10:03 AM
Well if the courses are playing that easy knock par down so that the good golfer still wins and shoots say 5 or 6 under.
We get handicapped so why cant it work the other way for them, If a par five is reachable make it a par 4. Look at what Newcastle did for their plate challenge.

markTHEblake
10th September 2007, 10:08 AM
It wont make any difference, they will still shoot 4 rounds in the 60's
par is meaningless to these guys, they play every hole/stroke on its merits, not par

Grunt
10th September 2007, 10:09 AM
I agree MTB, so why don't they just call the score as 252 after 72 for example.

markTHEblake
10th September 2007, 10:16 AM
so how do you compare someone who has played 72 holes against someone who has played 71

Grunt
10th September 2007, 10:23 AM
I don't know, why does have to be compared to par then? Why not go back to the old days and have it as Matchplay each week.

Trung
10th September 2007, 10:44 AM
Grant,

Are you on your period this week?

3oneday
10th September 2007, 10:45 AM
Why not go back to the old days and have it as Matchplay each week.everyone would pull out ;)

:lol: :lol:

Fishman Dan
10th September 2007, 11:14 AM
Is it just me or is everyone else bored with Tiger winning every week? :neutral:
I know he is the best golfer to ever walk the planet but his wins just become so routine, it lacks a bit of interest. :smt099

Not at all. I think someone so dominant in a sport is fantastic - remember, we are watching something out of the ordinary here. A few years ago we were all saying he was gone. He had injuries and there was a chance that the bubble has burst. I remember playing with Spiersy at Bayview at the time and he said that Tiger would come back, better than ever. Never a truer word said.

The 20+ shots under par has been a rarity this year. Every course seems to be auditioning for the US Open, with super-long rough to make the course tougher. The Nationwide Tour however is another story.

Every week going into rounds 3 and 4 there are generally 5 or 6 blokes who can win it. Of those players in the hunt, 1 of the spots has always been filled with the name Tiger Woods, the others pretty much change on a weekly basis. That's pretty special.

3oneday
10th September 2007, 11:31 AM
They also talked about redesigning this course, starting very soon, as it was too easy on bad shots. When they play it again in two years it will have sharper teeth ;)

Scoot
10th September 2007, 11:43 AM

Nup, it's just you.

markTHEblake
10th September 2007, 12:47 PM
Eags' I dont think its just that.

Was talking to John Noble at the golf show, he is one of those long driving freaks, (mate of Keza's hangs around Emerald Lakes a bit) and has consistently being No 1 or close.

He is organising a new Long Driving series, and working on the entertainment value of it. If you think about golf on TV what we see a lot of is, Tiger chipping in, Tiger sinking putts.

Dont most golfers look at that and sometimes think like this "well i have done that, i just dont do it as often"? My Old man said that to me when I was a kid, and thats also probably why I hardly ever watch golf on TV exept for the last hour of a major.

But go to a Long driving event or watch on Tv and see a 2m tall 140kg house trained gorilla hit a 380m drive, and now you are seeing something you cant possibly do. Its unbeleivable to you and therefore exciting.

Plus playing loud music etc all makes for more entertainment.

He bought Ian Healy to a recent event, and Heals said "This is the 20/20 of Golf". All they need to do is get a little of the right television coverage and they are on their way.

poidda
10th September 2007, 01:45 PM
Also, the good news is that Tiger will have a half decent pension to fall back on in case he spends all his cash.

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/news?slug=dw-pension090407&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Jarro
15th September 2007, 05:54 PM
Nice 63 from Tiger today.

2 rounds to go before he gets the Fedex Cup and the $10 million :shock:

goughy
17th September 2007, 07:35 AM
We calling this one yet?? ;)

3oneday
17th September 2007, 08:24 AM
By 8 :shock: where did Calc go ????

How about Ogilvys weekend, 62-74 !!!

miro
17th September 2007, 08:35 AM
Nice 63 from Tiger today.

2 rounds to go before he gets the Fedex Cup and the $10 million :shock:

The advertising for the Fedex Cup has used the line (or something like it)

"a prize so big it will change a life forever".

With Tiger winning this seems so completely irrelevant -its pocket money. US$10m is such a ridiculous amount of money for a single prize that even for a capitalist swine such as myself it does seem a little offensive. And yet with Tiger winning the value of the prize simply became irrelevant -something about this seems screwed up.

oz
17th September 2007, 09:24 AM
I tend to agree, miro.... I have nothing against people making good money for excellent work, but $10m ? It is kinda ridiculous....

3oneday
17th September 2007, 09:46 AM
Do the guys who only won $500,000 get it paid the same way, into a pension ?

Jarro
17th September 2007, 01:34 PM
Doesn't really matter what concept they come up with, looks as though Tigger is gonna win it regardless :roll:

Davemason
17th September 2007, 03:06 PM
I think that $10mil is to much for a first place they need to spread it around a bit more.

Even some of the week to week prise money.

When you look at some of the top players making to much money and the bottom players are just barely making ends meet.

goughy
17th September 2007, 06:10 PM
It is designed to be a retirement fund for pro golfers so they don't end up destitute isn't it? What is tiger gonna do with the 150mil extra he's gonna won over the next 15 years?

Scoot
17th September 2007, 06:52 PM
[quote=goughy; What is tiger gonna do with the 150mil extra he's gonna won over the next 15 years?[/quote]

Spot on.

As it turns out, he only had to play in two of the four to win it.

Flogs the feild during the season, and flogs them more in the finals.

Interesting stat that I heard on the TV. He's won roughly 25% of all tourn's entered since he turned pro, and has a significantly higher percentage over the past two years. (In the order of 50%).

75 under par in the last five games.

Time to join the European tour.