PDA

View Full Version : City Golf Club Pro-Am 9 September

goughy
20th August 2007, 07:06 PM
OK, I usually run a day for this event, and we often get 2 or 3 groups for this. Shotgun starts at 7am and 12pm, though the 12pm time is often taken by sponsors etc etc so we've always played the 7am.

Depending on how long it takes to finalise the pro entries, timesheet appears 1 to 2 weeks in advance. Cost is usually around $25 from memory. Most groups have 1 pro, with some having 2.

This year, I'm not even sure I can put myself in pencil. But since some have asked about it/mentioned it I can arrange to get some times etc at the least. So do we have any takers for this day?

0.5 Goughy (lemon juice - will need to iron it for it to show up permanently)

Here goes!

Vegas 33pts
Goughy 31pts
Shazz 29pts
Pete Last

AndyP
20th August 2007, 07:14 PM
FWIW I've already stolen a few players for the Nambour Open that weekend.

goughy
20th August 2007, 07:27 PM
Das Kool Baby ('the Ladies Man').

It's on early this year - bastards. I love this game.... Will hate to have to miss it.

shazza_rs
20th August 2007, 07:28 PM
0.5. Goughy (lemon aid)
1. Shazza_rs
2. Peter_rs

goughy
20th August 2007, 08:01 PM
Many of the sponsors play at 12pm g-man! Should you check if this is the case with you - or do you wanna play with us slurbs!!

goughy
20th August 2007, 08:24 PM
There is a slight possibility that I will be gigging at a big pub in town on the saturday night. Otherwise we can get up to something if interested!

goughy
25th August 2007, 09:42 AM
Any group preferences??

Otherwise it'll be me, g69 and frank,
then the rest of ya's ;)

Time sheet it out so I'll be going down today. I'm aiming for starts on the 15th ;) ;)

goughy
25th August 2007, 01:09 PM
OK, well since g69 is a ""sponsor"" I didn't need to worry 'bout him!! He's got ""preferential"" treatment and is off the first at 7am with frank and 'vegas; I had to do nutting!

Pete, shaz and I are off the 4th. Best I could do as there were 2 pro's in a lot of groups and this was about the shortest walk I could get and the nearest to the others.

goughy
25th August 2007, 02:45 PM
Oh yeah, there were plenty of spots left if someone else does want to travel up. ATM I could switch the groups around ok.

shazza_rs
25th August 2007, 03:37 PM
thanks goughy!

peter_rs
25th August 2007, 04:52 PM
sorry goughy you will have to bring your A mental game.

goughy
25th August 2007, 05:00 PM
I always thought I was A mental!!

goughy
27th August 2007, 05:44 PM
You should be paying double to get that tee start. I'm not unhappy with the walk to the 4th. Though starting on a tough bloody par 3 is gonna be fun. I might lay up. Pin is bound to be in the back left quadrant.

peter_rs
27th August 2007, 08:24 PM
I did last year

BrisVegas
3rd September 2007, 08:27 AM
how long is the 4th now? I seem to recall hitting hybrid or 3 wood there last year (very close to the OOB fence) and making a nice double-bogey. Tough start.

goughy
3rd September 2007, 05:44 PM
From the tips on a still day, usually 4 iron, maybe 3 iron if I'm trying to get close to a back left pin, but that usually doesn't work too well ;) Plays about 180mtrs I think from the tips. And yeah, it's a tough starting hole. But what ya gonna do!

peter_rs
3rd September 2007, 06:23 PM
lay up :)

goughy
3rd September 2007, 06:48 PM
Seriously, was thinking that. 7i, then chip to the back left where they probably have the pin.

markTHEblake
3rd September 2007, 06:59 PM
Goughy, have you ever played at City since the changes? :-)

peter_rs
3rd September 2007, 08:19 PM
yes he has and so have a few others. (grips weekend)

goughy
3rd September 2007, 09:04 PM
Goughy, have you ever played at City since the changes? :-)

You've lost me! Is this a dig at the limited amount of golf I play or that fact that I take little notice in a course so would barely even know what city gc is like? :)

goughy
8th September 2007, 11:39 AM
Well, after the rain this week and with a nice day today the course should be shmicko tomorrow. Looking forward to it. Hope our pro's not an unconversational dick like some in the past! They do realise it's the troppo tour, not the pga don't they.

I shouldn't say that, many of them eat worse than me! It is their livelihood after all.

goughy
8th September 2007, 04:25 PM
Did you ring the club? What happens here? Is your mate playing (stupid question).

If that leaves vegas on the sheet by himself I could rush down to the club and put myself in his group before the sheet goes to the proshop at 5pm.

Any thoughts?

goughy
8th September 2007, 05:51 PM
Shame you can't make it up. Despite the bad weather up here the course should be looking pretty nice with the rain over the last week.

Back's still in nasty shape eh? Do you think it's gonna get back in shape again, or will it always be causeing you trouble?

goughy
9th September 2007, 12:39 PM
Had another great day on the course today. Thanks Pete, Shazz and our pro Ty for the game.

Had a good chat with Ty round the course. He's from WA and this is his first year on the tour. He finished 15th in the tour school and has starts in a few of the big events this summer (NZ Open, I think the PGA and another) plus all the Von Nida's. Got plenty of the inside of his life on the tour so far. I've forgotten his last name so I'll have to look for it in the results. He shot par today but left a lot out there. He hasn't been having the best of runs lately so I think he was happy to shoot a par round. Plenty of potential in him though. Really nice ball flight!

goughy
9th September 2007, 12:49 PM
Played my usual weird round. I don't want the title of ogolfs worst putter anymore, since I seem to be putting well from long distance. But from 6 ft in, bugger if I ain't shite!!!!! I think all 4 of us were almost rolling on the ground laughing (I certainly was) after my missed putt on the 17th.

Oh, and sorry Moe! All day on the tee I'd felt I was standing a little far from the ball and was shuffling forward as a consequence. On my last hole I again felt I was a little far from the ball but didn't bother to move. Hence I now have a nice sky mark on the toe of my tm200 tour 3 wood :o :( Was pretty funny though to be playing my second from almost behind the 2nd green and still have a tap in for a 5.

Shazz and Pete were good value and good company as usual. I think Ty enjoyed the banter, especially the knee shazza gave pete on the 2nd tee. Good thing you turned to the left pete.

markTHEblake
9th September 2007, 12:50 PM
The odd part is that walking and hitting a golf ball isn't the painful part..sitting in the lounge chair or car gives me the most trouble.

Oh crap, exactly the same as me.

BrisVegas
9th September 2007, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the day guys. Bewdiful weather in Toowoomba and the course was mint. If only we had those greens down here. I played like a spaz as usual and blew my handicap in 6 holes. Had a couple of birdies on the back 9 and got back to a reasonable xxxx points.

I played with g69's two mates Frank and Bones? (Mark) Frank had a day out with the putter today and had 12 1-putts. It was just crazy. I've never seen anyone so "in the zone" before. The pro in our group couldn't believe it. Frank threw the anchor out on 17 and 18 to finish with 34 points. Mark had a shocker, including raising the bat. He was asking what the ozgolf record low score was, but I think I heard him say he had 17 points covered, so he was miles over it.

Thanks again for the shirts Richard. They're very nice. Yours is on ebay as we speak. The committee guys at City asked where you were and I just told them you refused to come back until they took to the 6th & 7th holes with a chainsaw. They'll be in touch no doubt.

markTHEblake
9th September 2007, 06:43 PM
Perhaps you could mention the Pro's names you played with?

goughy
9th September 2007, 07:20 PM
I did. I said his name was Ty and that I didn't remember his last name and that I would find it later. It was Van something...

goughy
9th September 2007, 08:08 PM
ccr was 72. And the pro in our groups was Tigh Van Leeuwen. He tied for 24th and took home $93.

BrisVegas
9th September 2007, 08:25 PM
I played with Graham Sheppard, who had a 73. He made NO putts all day. He put a nice swing on the ball and hit it pretty straight. He wasn't overly long, as we were hitting the same iron distances and his good drives were not much past me. Obviously he hit more "good" drives than me! He's based at Hyatt Coolum, but he's a Rocky lad who played junior golf with poidda. In the group behind me there was Paul Donahoo, who's based at Brookwater and who came second at Q-school last year.

For the bag watchers... Graham was sponsored by Bridgestone. He played J33 CB's with X100's, J33 hybrid and 3 wood with Aldila NV105 X. His driver (hiding under a Bridgey headcover) was a Cally FT3 with Grafalloy Blue X. He had Bridgestone West Coast Design wedges and a Yes! Emma putter.

shazza_rs
9th September 2007, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the day out Goughy..... it was fun.

Played like a spaz - 29 points..... bleh!

Played the par 3's in 1 over and i wont mention the rest of them. I did manage 1 birdie with a putt in from off the fringe.

Got pecked on the hat by a bloody magpie, so good day out!!

shazza_rs
9th September 2007, 08:34 PM
And for the bag watchers.......

Tigh had 510TP with vista tour, cally steelhead 3 with prolite X, 2-9 RacTP irons X100's, Cleveland DGS wedges, Odyssey #5 white hot putter.

And a green dragon head cover.... mascot from his college golf in the USA.

goughy
9th September 2007, 09:26 PM
I wasn't bag watching - but his driver shaft was a tm badged mitsubishi shaqX shaft. I know that, because when he grabbed my 3 wood to check out the sky mark he looked at the shaft and commented that he used the same in his driver.

You must have been looking in my bag cause I have that shaft in my driver!

Tigh82
9th September 2007, 10:09 PM
Hey Dean (goughy), sitting here in my hotel room and decide to check out the site after you mentioned it today. Had a good day today and it was a lot of fun with you, Sharon and Pete. That putt was good for a laugh but not as funny as Sharon almost hitting the deck when those ducks came flying over ( mistaking them for the magpie that got her on the previous hole) :lol:. Thanks again for the day guys!

Courty
9th September 2007, 10:54 PM
Welcome Tigh.

That putt was good for a laugh but not as funny as Sharon almost hitting the deck when those ducks came flying over ( mistaking them for the magpie that got her on the previous hole) :lol:. Thanks again for the day guys!

Tell us more. :twisted:

markTHEblake
9th September 2007, 10:59 PM
dont tell me someone yelled out "DUUUUUUUCK"

goughy
10th September 2007, 06:12 AM
Hey Tigh, thanks for checking in! But I missed the whole 'duck' fiasco! I was in the trees remember (surprise surprise).

And we can't forget that that bird that got sharon in the back of the head flew directly over to you and got you in the back of the head too!

Have a godd trip back this week. Hope you get a bit of a break. And if you ever feel up to it I'm sure the guys here would like to hear what life is like for a pro on the sunshine tour etc.

Will be looking for you in those events later in the year. A couple of them should be on TV I'd guess.

Good luck mate, and thanks for the round!

Tigh82
10th September 2007, 07:59 AM
The duck fiasco and the PUTT all happened on the same hole so it was pretty eventful really. Lets just say Goughy's putt never went of line because the putt was that short it never could have got off line. We did have a good laugh about it when it happened :lol:. Like i said it was a great day and was good for myself just to be able to have a relaxed round with some good people. ( some people might think differently on this site but they are good people ;) ). My golf has struggled the last few weeks with not really being able to play much and a lot of the Sunny Coast events being post poned to late November. All though there were a few shots left out there it was a solid round and i was happy with the way a struck the ball. Happy to answer any questions that people might have a about being out playing and i will do my best to answer them. Tigh

peter_rs
10th September 2007, 09:09 AM
Hi Tigh

Welcome, this could be a good place to put up that bio and plan. I know a few guys here have the money to help sponour a young pro.

As for the golf. I made the mistake of trying to play golf. My Normal plan for city is just hit driver and if your going to miss, miss to the next fairway. But yesterday I was trying too hard to find the right fairway and found myself just off the fairway up the arse of a tree 8 times (even to kill any round).

Highlight bird on number 1, 4 putt (3 with a foot) wipe from 5m on nine after two good shots.

The new putter worked ok even if it did get kicked by mistake.

Tigh82
10th September 2007, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the welcome Peter, sponsors would be a handy thing and i have been meaning to get a proposal up but just haven't had the time really. Since i turned pro at the beginning of the year i haved been funding myself with the help of my very supportive family. Whatever money gets won goes straight into getting me somewhere else. I was lucky ( shouldn't say luck because i put in the work) to play well in May and June through WA stretch which made it possible to come over here and spend this amount of time here but the funds are running low and have to save for the end of the year for the bigger events. Hoping to get 3 walk up starts but still have to have the money to travel and Accom. It has been an awsome experience and i have loved every minute of being a Pro and really excited for the end of the year. I fly home on Thursday for a month to get ready but im also going to try and get some stuff together to try and show a few people my plans. One they are all done i will let people know and if they would like to have a look they can contact me. Once again cheers gor the welcome Peter. Tigh

BrisVegas
11th September 2007, 08:33 AM
Had a look on golfink and frank (golfer69's mate) had the lowest gross score of the amateurs with a 76. Probably explains the high CCR for the day.