PDA

View Full Version : Week beginning Monday 27 September

goughy
27th September 2004, 05:09 AM
.......?

Jarro
27th September 2004, 12:54 PM
Had a hit with my good buddy Eag's this morning at Wantima (Par 70)

Eag's : 43/41 = 84
Jarro : 37/42 = 79

Both of us played Ok today, Eag's hit some monster drives.. once he sorted out where to aim :wink: The R7 went well for me today.. hit a few bombs... but more importantly found a lot more fairways than i have been of late :oops:

Both of us left some putts out there too. I had 33 putts and reckon i missed at least 4 from inside 1 meter :evil:

cazandpaul
27th September 2004, 01:57 PM
A struggling 31pts today - 34 putts again - warm and humid on the Coast today so the Goldies after tasted mighty fine. :D

jaster
27th September 2004, 04:24 PM
Well played Jarro and Eag's!!

drunken
27th September 2004, 04:38 PM
Played Murwillumbah today. Par 71 35-36

Went pretty well for 15 of the holes, 47-52=99

Had thee consecutive quadruple bogeys on the 11th, 12th & 13th. After hitting a bird on the 10th ](*,)

So 28 over with 12 of those coming from three holes...... :roll:

Ducky
27th September 2004, 06:22 PM
Well I went out for a casual hit with some friends today, eager to try out my new irons after a two week break.

I started off shakey on the first nine [10-18] with some mishit iron shots (which was to be expected considering I still had to become adjusted to them), but was able to get up and down to save par on the first three holes (much to my surprise). The next six holes were very much bitter-sweet: bogey, bogey, birdie, birdie, bogey, bogey. The result was a 37 (+2).

The second nine [1-9] saw me do some troubleshooting in relation to my ball striking. The results were instant, with me almost holeing out from 115m with my 52 degree wedge. My ball striking was now quite good, but my short game went downhill quickly, with a streak of bogeys only being broken up by two pars during the nine. The result was 41 (+5).

Overall, I shot a 78 (+7) for the round, and was pumped to play a few more holes. Unfortunately, the sun did not wish to stay up past 6:15pm. I remember why I love playing blades. Everytime I mishit a shot I would immediately know why, and the ball felt so crisp when I would hit it out of the center.

The other great thing about today, was that the course was in excellent condition! Two weeks ago, I was starting to think the worst of the course, but wow, what a difference two weeks can make. Golden grass became green, uneven greens became true, and the magpies were friendly! Amazing!

:D

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

shavey
28th September 2004, 10:16 PM
Played in a Battle of the Cities event between the Coast and Brissie Hotels at North Lakes on Monday 27th. Drove in the carpark, said hello to a few friends and then to the first tee.

Awful start with the wind up to 20 knots during the course of the afternoon. 6+ after 4 holes with three penalties and not looking like a fun. Regrouped with par, birdie, birdie and then gave it straight back with bogey, bogey. 42 at the turn and not happy about the last two holes.

Feeling confident on 10 and boomed a nice drive 280m to get started. Went par, par, par, par, par, par, par, bogey, double! 39 to finish. Horrible taste in the mouth to finish but with two chips hitting the stick on the back nine, who knows what I SHOULD have finished with. Anyway, nett 69 and considering the start, very happy with the comeback.

Jarro
29th September 2004, 12:22 AM
what's your handicap again Shavey :?:

that's not a bad score around Northlakes .. it's a pretty unforgiving course :shock:

AndyP
29th September 2004, 08:08 AM
what's your handicap again Shavey :?:

Simple maths, jarro. :razz:
If shavey had 81 and his nett was 69, his handicap is 12. :wink:

shavey, for a 12 handicapper that's a great looking scorecard. Consecutive birdies, and a long par sequence. :shock:
Well done!

Ona
29th September 2004, 05:32 PM
played my 3 round for the year, first since May, turned out pretty good :D

starting with five pars left me wondering why I dont play more. Then I started hitting big draws with everything, exept of course gap and lob wedge, fats were more their style. Anyway kept scoring alright, putter was rusty, but i was never a good putter, made some nice chips and worked the draw out of my swing by middle of the back. Course was in better nick than i'd heard, every know and then, thru no fault of their own, the greenkeepers manage to not skew the greens up. (public track, our good greens would be some of your worst)

So i shot 6 over and am maybe one step closer to ending my hiatus.

Courty
30th September 2004, 06:41 AM
Scored the afternoon off yesterday and played in the comp.
I had 39 points with a wipe and 2 1's. I was even par for 15 holes (2 birdies, 2 bogies) but had 2 doubles in the last 3 holes and an 'incomplete' just to round things off nicely. With a steady breeze blowing I managed to reach 2 par 5's in 2: One with a 4 iron and the 487m 18th with a 5 iron. Made birdie's on both.
Things are looking up. :P

Flowergirl
30th September 2004, 12:14 PM
Missed out by one stroke to win our Comp yesterday.....Net 71 (par is 71). Had five putts that I missed from 3 to 4 feet!!!! How annoying!!!!
Am playing in the first round of our matchplay elimination tomorrow. Looking forward to it. :D

( good luck AndyP...look forward to hearing about your game on Monday)

amanda
30th September 2004, 12:39 PM
Good luck in the matchplay FG!

AndyP
30th September 2004, 01:37 PM
Am playing in the first round of our matchplay elimination tomorrow.

I don't want to put any pressure on you FG, but if you don't come up trumps tomorrow, I don't know how I will be able to win. :wink:
Good luck! :)

Flowergirl
30th September 2004, 02:05 PM
But Andy........I won't be coming back to work until Monday so you won't know if I win or lose........so you just go out there and get em boy!!!! :P

Jarro
30th September 2004, 05:03 PM
Good luck FG :)

McMw
30th September 2004, 10:25 PM
haven't played at all since sunday...how proud am I??? :lol:

amanda
1st October 2004, 07:04 AM
quick Mau - get out onto a golf course before you suffer withdrawl! :lol:

Speirsy11
1st October 2004, 09:02 AM
One of the best weeks of golf ever......I love Uni holidays......I got my new driver, shafted it and have used it a few times.....brand new 540DF from the TOUR, shafted it with a Harmon FZX tipped 2", great combo, VERY accurate and plenty long..........

Monday: good short game session, worked hard on chipping and 20-50yd pitch shots......with my ball striking being so bad of late, these have been my bread and butter, the only thing keeping me under about a 15 hcp....

Tuesday: Solid range session, the swing changes feel like they have finally set in for the most part.....AND the new driver is really solid.....Finally have one that suits me again.....

Wednesday: 7am- Killara white tees.....I love this course, great design to either go low, or be really high.....lots of fun to play, with reachable par 5s and good par 3s......36-38=74 with a bit of a rough start, hit 10 fairways, 12 greens......not bad

Wednesday 2pm: Royal Sydney white tees (in the rain off and on)...I love this course. It is a joke that it is ranked outside the top 15 in the country, especially after the greens were redone. VERY difficult green complexes, and a great driving course. 49-38=77....pretty happy, since I only hit 7greens...could have been a disaster.....

I also played Thursday at 5:45am on a course that shall remain nameless since we weren't supposed to be on ahead of ladies day :twisted: but I'll say this, it was a really REALLY good course and I played REALLY well (11fw, 14 GIR, 33 putts for 37-35=72)....I love this new driver....and there is no better time to play golf then 6am ahead of everyone.....

Hope I can keep it up for the weekend.......

Speirsy

AndyP
2nd October 2004, 10:56 AM
Unfortunately I have let the Charlton Cup slip through my hands and will have to be happy with runners-up. I went down 3 and 1. :(

The guy I played against was solid all day (played off 7), and blew me away on the par 3's.
I never seemed to get any sort of groove going and am pretty disappointed with the way I played. Although I would have only played only 3 shots over my h/cap, it seemed a lot worse.
Irons were pretty bad, and driving was inconsistent. I played a lot of shocking shots (grubbers mainly), and gave up a few holes that I shouldn't have, including a par 3 that I got a shot on. I guess some chips, putts, and luck kept me in it, but I just couldn't turn the form around.

OK, time to concentrate on OZgolf Champs now. :twisted:

Jarro
2nd October 2004, 11:03 AM
bad luck AndyP :smt087

at least you made the final :smt023

gazgolf1
2nd October 2004, 11:49 AM
79 for a nett 71 :?
Lost the plot on the front nine but came back with a 1 over on the back nine.
Missed a few chances and yet again bladed one into the next suburb from a bunker but then hit a couple of nice splashes later so all is not lost. :D

jaster
2nd October 2004, 12:43 PM
Back luck AndyP :( Better to have been there to have had a go though than to have never had the chance ;)

3oneday
2nd October 2004, 12:50 PM
37 Points :smt020 , even with the card after 10, bled a little, doubled 17 to be 6 over then birdied the last.

First time under the handicap in about 4 months :smt026 .

Pete 8)

McMw
2nd October 2004, 02:30 PM
overslept this morning... :oops:

was spose to pick mate up for brekkie at 6.15, he smsed me at 6.45...
make a quick dash to the club - doubled the first... :lol:

anyway...settled in nicely after that... played the next 17 holes in -1 (4 birds, 3 bogeys)...
missed two shortish putts, hit 11 girs, new driver going well, and long... :mrgreen:

apart from that, it was a nice welcome return back to some sort of form... :lol:

and the best news of all, I got 1 stroke back on my hcp - WOO HOO!!! :D

drunken
2nd October 2004, 03:53 PM
mau what driver is in the bag at the moment??? 580XD???

Mine should be here early next week, then I'll just have to pop the NV in it :D

McMw
3rd October 2004, 09:31 AM
got the 580XD, but 8.5degree...
actually got two shipped - 540XD and the 580XD, but sold off the 540XD as I really didn't want another 9.5degree driver...

but also still have another 580XD with a mate who's testing it....slow sale.. :(

Jarro
3rd October 2004, 10:51 AM
Have you demoed an R7 yet Mau :?:

interested to hear your thoughts.

McMw
3rd October 2004, 10:55 AM
I had the 1 hit with an R7 hot face couple of weeks/months ago...

9.5, jpn stiff shaft...

wasn't impressed...
even at the low setting, it went higher than my "then" 983K...

straight...high...not long...pretty sure my K was just as long, or longer a tad...

not impressed...but it was a good hit... :wink:

Jarro
3rd October 2004, 10:58 AM
shaft in the "hot face" R7 was :?: :?: :?

McMw
3rd October 2004, 12:10 PM
I'll get more details later, I'm playing with mate again this arvo...

and yeah...I don't like the fact it sits closer than the 580XD.... :roll:

wayz
3rd October 2004, 04:47 PM
40points today... no one on the course and a beautiful day :) what more could you want!..
Actually, it does get better, i played with the lovely Amanda and her hubby Brad.. most enjoyable :smt109
:smt059 Or as Brad like to put it, angels were definately kissing my ass today :smt077

Thanks guys :) :smt023

Trung
3rd October 2004, 05:23 PM
Carnarvon both Sat and Sun.
Sat: 35 points
Sun: Even (Par)

jaster
3rd October 2004, 08:47 PM
Had +3 playing matchplay for the DDGA vs the BDGA, played a nice guy who Gaz probable knows (Mick Pocki or something, Kiwi bloke) who is the step father of Riki Bastabagi (I know this spelling is wrong;)), who is a really good junior. Had a good day picking his brains about what it's like to have such a talented young golfer in the family.
Matchplay finished all square, first time I have played Keperra GC and really enjoyed the track though it was bloody hot and the course was pretty dry! Also, the greens were so different to what I'm use to, full of grain and therefore I had NFI what some of the putts were doing..funny stuff :roll:

amanda
3rd October 2004, 08:50 PM
As Wayz mentioned - a great day for golf! The course held up quite well given the heavy rains we've had in Sydney - I hit a few shots fat because of soft ground, but not too many.

Wayz played a great round - won't be on that 23 handicap for long! Even his bad shots had lucky breaks :D

I had 34 points - some stupid putting by me caused me to blow out. I only wiped 1 hole, a PB given my recent form.

I also won my matchplay 4 & 2 (yes Blakey - not strictly to the rules) - I was playing a 15 handicapper (she had a 69 the previous day to drop from 17 to 15) and she had 20 points for the day. I was only down on the first hole, then gradually went up a hole, then a few halves, then up another hole etc until I was dormie 4 - but couldn't close it out! Won on the 16th hole. Not sure who I play in the next round - but I will have to get my driving game back on track - I'm hitting less fairways and putting myself into situations where I face a mandatory small chip - devastating for the scores.

wayz
3rd October 2004, 09:08 PM
what bad shots??? haha :twisted:

McMw
3rd October 2004, 09:41 PM
shot 75 this arvo...
after being 5over on the front, somehow 8) managed to played the back in 35 (which is a shocker since the back is my worse nine)...

decent weekend - welcome return back to the 70s... :D
and didn't lose any money to jean...we both ended up square...

jarro - the r7 has a stock jpn MAS Plus 55 shaft....different from the stockie that comes with the "legal" face...

cazandpaul
4th October 2004, 04:43 AM
We played the Burleigh proam yesterday - Caz 34 pts Paul 32 pts so nothing special - our pro Michael Craperi hit some awesome shots but was a bit inconsistent. He had a Ping G2 driver and could he make go - he told us there is a 400cc version on the way.

Flowergirl
4th October 2004, 01:38 PM
Well Andy............sorry to see you followed in my footsteps in your Matchplay event. I too am A LOSER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My opponent played better than her handicap and I struggled all day. I felt like I had to play "catch up" golf all day to keep up with her - which I didn't !!
She was a lovely lady who was very gracious in her win - and although I hate to lose - if I'm going to lose to anyone it may just as well be her. Also she's been playing golf for 20 years more than me - so hopefully in 20 years time I'll whip her butt!!!!
For the record she won the first two holes...........we squared the next three.........I won the next.........she won the next two..........oh gee ..who cares .......SHE WON!!!!

Well done to you Amanda..keep the Ozgolf flag flying girl!!

AndyP
4th October 2004, 01:56 PM
Bummer, FG. :(

The guy that beat me plays A-grade cricket and is a tennis coach, as well as playing off 7. So his hand-eye coordination ain't half bad. :shock:

Jarro
4th October 2004, 06:24 PM
jarro - the r7 has a stock jpn MAS Plus 55 shaft....different from the stockie that comes with the "legal" face...

thanks Maurice :wink:

Fishman Dan
4th October 2004, 08:49 PM
Kyogle GC 75th Anniversary - Stroke (Medal Round)

Nett 72 (par 70), after shooting 47/42. Pretty ordinary seeing as though half of the 47 on the front came on 7/8/9th holes (23 shots).

Greens were a little long because they had a big storm the night before, and i don't think they got mowed that morning. Mind you, the course is pretty much run by volunteers, so no arguments from anyone out there.

A massive 'Do' that night at the club house, about 200 people turned up to celebrate. Played with an 88 year old veteran, a bloke who remembers the course when it was a greyhound training facility. JD struggled on the greens, had 78 nett, and I teamed up with the father-in-law to take another 80c off him and his partner (we're 2-0 up on him now).

Awesome night. Go and play some country golf guys - they need the support and it doesn't matter who you are, they're always receptive - even if you're wearing a baseball cap with "CITY" on the front :P (check the Northern Star - should be in there!)

Andrew
4th October 2004, 09:18 PM
Played at Ariah Park GC on Saturday. It's a 9 hole course with sand & oil greens in the west of NSW.

I didn't score too well as sand & oil golf is a whole different game. The course is a par 70 at 5728m, & my partner (who basically runs the club) won the day with a 77 off a hcp of 12 (65 nett). This was a great lesson on how to play sand & oil courses.

I had an 86, but could probably improve about 8-10 shots if I knew how to play these courses.

Flowergirl
5th October 2004, 08:08 AM
Played at Ariah Park GC on Saturday. It's a 9 hole course with sand & oil greens in the west of NSW.

I didn't score too well as sand & oil golf is a whole different game. The course is a par 70 at 5728m, & my partner (who basically runs the club) won the day with a 77 off a hcp of 12 (65 nett). This was a great lesson on how to play sand & oil courses.

I had an 86, but could probably improve about 8-10 shots if I knew how to play these courses.

Andrew......what is a sand and oil course. :? I've played on sand greens before but oil. ???? Sounds a bit slippery :lol:

Andrew
5th October 2004, 10:01 AM
Flowergirl,

Sand greens generally have sump oil mixed in with them so the sand stays in the one place, otherwise wind would blow it away & walking all over it would spread it out.

The other reason is that it makes it possible to putt on them. If the oil wasn't there it would be just like putting in a bunker.

The oil is added at the begining of the season & merely raked in. A course that is open all year may add oil twice. It's the oil (& dirt sticking to it) that gives them the brown look.