PDA

View Full Version : Should I pay an extra $10 for the PGA tour?

jaster
26th September 2004, 11:13 PM
So I find out Austar (bastards!!!) have taken the PGA tour off Fox and put it on ESPN which is an extra $10 a month. Golf is the only thing I watch on Pay TV so is it worth an extra $10 a month?

Vote and let me know what you think?

The positive is that I will also get the Seniors Tour (sorry but they are not all champions :roll: ) on ESPN and some silly season stuff as well as a few other stupid extreme sport channels :shock: (who cares?).

Hmmm.... :-k

Iain
27th September 2004, 12:54 AM
It seems to be every year, towards the end after the majors, ryder cup etc, espn get's quite a few events, not sure why this is, but I think last year they had Disney also?

But definately worth 10 dolllars a month.

gazgolf1
27th September 2004, 04:31 AM
ESPN sucks :(

They have their own commercials and for some reason show a thirty second baseball package when they go to a break.........but its the same package over and over again :roll: .
So if you fork out the dough jaster be prepared for lots of baseball,basketball and seppo football. :x

markTHEblake
27th September 2004, 08:50 AM
Take it easy Jaster :-) Austar had nothing to do with the switch, as they neither own FoxSports or ESPN.

Foxsports is 100% owned by NewsLimited, so give Lachlan a call and ask him why the hell did he give up the broadcast rights to the PGATour.

If you have converted to digital then the extra $10 is not worth it, if you have stayed on the old packages its better, the extra channels you get are more value, like UKTV.

ESPN is a terrible channel anyway, they continuously change their schedule, and dont provide their customers (Paytv companies) with updates to inform the punters, nor provide any form of feedback or customer service.

If you didnt know a lot of tournaments are still shown on CNBC Asia on Sat/Sun afternoons, particularily the World Series events.

Boonie
27th September 2004, 03:29 PM
Iain is right Jast, it happens every year. ESPN have a couple of events near the end of the season every year. So you won't be missing out on 95% of the PGA Tour events, they will be on Foxtel again as normal next year. And I'm sure the Amex and Tour Championships will be on FoxSports soon, not ESPN.

ESPN have quite a lot of Senior PGA tour events during the year if you need some extra reason to pay the $10. Don't watch them myself.

AndyP
27th September 2004, 03:35 PM
My father-in-law paid the extra for the ESPN with Austar for a while. He didn't like it, and got rid of it. He doesn't watch golf anyway. More of a cricket man.

jaster
27th September 2004, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the replies....the voting is currently 4-2 to upgrade, I have not yet got digital as I like the news program on the Comedy channel ;) So the upgrade as Blakey says would include ESPN, UKTV, FOX 8 and some other crap. Iim thinking I might get it for a month or so and see what happens :!:

markTHEblake
28th September 2004, 08:43 AM
Are you forgetting that the LPGA is still on Fox sports?
they dont all have wide backsides like golfer69 y'know.

Trung
28th September 2004, 08:53 AM
Golf is the only thing I watch on Pay TV so is it worth an extra $10 a month?

nuff said :lol:

jaster
28th September 2004, 09:06 AM
Nope watched it on the weekend, but 6-8 hours a week of golf on telly is not enough for me :shock: :lol:

Jarro
28th September 2004, 09:08 AM
BAH :!: :!: don't be a tight-arse mate, just pay the full amount and get the Digitial service like i did.. then you don't miss a thing 8)

plus as well as all the sport you get these cool cooking shows and womans chat shows :roll:

awesome stuff :wink:

markTHEblake
28th September 2004, 01:28 PM
Speaking of Austar choice programming, was channel surfing late last night and came across this Old masterpiece "Hong Kong Phooey". Brilliant Stuff.