PDA

View Full Version : Macquarie Driving Range 26/9

amanda
26th September 2004, 05:45 PM
Brad & I met up with John today at Macquarie Driving Range to check out his swing speed meter and try out different equipment.

Speirsy was also supposed to show up but must have been kept at home by the missus.

The SS measuring thingy is very cool - but the tee is quite high - suited especially for the big-headed drivers rather than my 270cc baby - but heaps of fun to use. The swing speeds measured were:

John - 97 to 101
Brad - 41 (I think something happened with the device!) to 121
Amanda - 69 to 73.5

As much as I tried to muscle the ball, keep my hands and body relaxed etc, I still couldn't break 73.5. Some more gym work & T-bone steaks for me before our next meeting :lol:

John discovered that he quite likes my driver - a 14* 270cc Wishon head on an el-cheapo component L flex shaft. He and Brad were both teaching my club some very bad habits by sending balls flying 200m+ :?

Brad loves John's Wishon 2 iron hybrid - wants one to replace his 3 wood - maybe a Christmas gift! John found the flight of my 3w from the deck good - we have the same 3w but diff shafts (John - Nippon steel reg, me - Nippon graphite reg).

I also tested out John's irons - Ram heads with Nippon shafts - boy they felt heavy - but I think anything would feel heavy (they were swingweight D0) compared to my irons (swingweight B5).

I LOVE the Wishon PCF wedge - 52* & 60* - so easy to hit of fluffy or tight lies (well - fluffy grass mat or thin grass mat) and you can open the face heaps without raising the leading edge (I think this is the right terminology to use).

Towards the end we had a long-drive comp (2 shots each). John won convincingly with 2 drives down past the 200m marker towards a tree at about 250m. Brad failed to put one on the grid - he was getting a little tired after our 5 hour round today & smashing about 40 balls to try and beat his top SS of 121mph. My first missed the grid, my 2nd was good - but only 150m.

Thanks John for organising - we will have to make this a monthly thing - I like the downhill driving range - a big confidence booster :wink:

Jono
26th September 2004, 06:38 PM
Speirsy was also supposed to show up but must have been kept at home by the missus.

Probably recovering from the Saturday night booze ... :wink:

John - 97 to 101
Brad - 41 (I think something happened with the device!) to 121
Amanda - 69 to 73.5

I did manage to sqeeze a 103 mph in there :lol: ... with your 43" driver! :shock: I am baffled as to how I can swing your 43" inch lady flex driver fast as (if anything faster than) my 45" driver. Perhaps the shorter length suits my swing plane ... I don't know ... :?:

Brad's definitely got some clubhead speed. You can hear it at impact. If he can straighten out his drives a bit, he should be able to get it out there. I think the slice spin is robbing him good 20-30 meters.

As much as I tried to muscle the ball, keep my hands and body relaxed etc, I still couldn't break 73.5. Some more gym work & T-bone steaks for me before our next meeting :lol:

I find that I get most speed not when I try to, but when my technique is good. Full shoulder turn, good rhythm, staying in balance, etc. When I try to hit the hell out of the ball, I tend to lose both speed and accuracy.

Brad loves John's Wishon 2 iron hybrid - wants one to replace his 3 wood - maybe a Christmas gift!

He hit three shots with it and all three went dead straight, about 200 meters. I think that will play on most par 4's. Brad might want to consider the "1 iron" hybrid with 15 degree loft. The 2 iron hybrid is 18 degrees.

Thanks John for organising - we will have to make this a monthly thing - I like the downhill driving range - a big confidence booster :wink:

Monthly range session sounds good. It would be great if other Sydney Ozgolfers can make it next time. I'll bring my digital camera and perhaps we can get all our swings on video.