PDA

View Full Version : Wollongong Golf Course

Jono
10th August 2007, 06:28 AM
I'm doing a 3 month stint in Wollongong at the moment, and looking out the windows of Wollongong Hospital, I can see the Wollongong Golf Club.

http://www.wollongonggolfclub.com.au/index.php?mode=7

According to their website, they've recently undergone renovations and course rerouting. Ross Watson design. Anyone played this course? I'll see if I can play in one of their open comps while I'm down here.

Moe Norman
10th August 2007, 07:05 AM
played it before the reno's and enjoyed it. By all reports the reno was a good one an its quite a decent track.

St. Andrew's from ISG is a member, I can flick you his details for a game if you like?

miro
10th August 2007, 08:01 AM
I am pretty sure I am a member there though I don't honestly know whether the membership is operational at this time. Whilst you look out your window you will notice a rather large development being built adjacent to the course. The land it sits on used to be owned by the club and in exchange for it we gave them a beautiful new clubhouse and enough cashola to do the course renos.

We are the developers, in partnership of that thing, and included as part of that I have membership but maybe it only kciks in when everything is finished?

miro
10th August 2007, 08:39 AM
G69 that is a shame. I must admit I passed on the invite to the opening of the first half of the reno's so haven't seen where they have gotten up to. I had also assumed that the balance of the work was just around the corner -I gather not from what you say.

dc68
10th August 2007, 09:18 AM
Look at the hairy lips.......................................... on those bunkers.

Jarro
10th August 2007, 09:53 AM
Good to see they know the right way to place rakes in the bunkers.

markTHEblake
10th August 2007, 09:59 AM
by the looks of the style of the thick grass on the lips of the bunker it appears unlikely that a golfer will end up there. So it just appears to be for presentation.

If anything they fluff stops the ball from going into the crap on that hole.

Very impressive Rich, give yourself and Ross a pat on the back.

Moe Norman
10th August 2007, 10:05 AM
nice garden beds.

Fishman Dan
10th August 2007, 10:22 AM
The grass is always greener to the north.

dc68
10th August 2007, 10:23 AM
oooooooooooooh you could hit seeds into the stadium and hit Gaz... I like it.

Moe Norman
10th August 2007, 11:55 AM
its a shame nice land like that is surrounded by crappy industrial areas and a football stadium.

could be quite a nice setting for a course.

Andrew
10th August 2007, 12:37 PM
It could have been worse. They could have made the 17th a dog leg around a featureless hotel.

Jono
10th August 2007, 09:23 PM
we gave them a beautiful new clubhouse and enough cashola to do the course renos.

I went there for a quick stroll this morning before work and I must say, the clubhouse looks impressive. Probably too impressive. ;)

The area around the practice green and 18th tee looks very nice and I walked up towards the old 18 tee (where the current chipping green is). Great ocean view ... 8)

I might try to tee up a game next weekend.

Jono
10th August 2007, 09:26 PM
This isn't a real good one of the course but is looking down the new 1st hole. How about that big arse fence on the right to protect the carpark and that wall of glass at the rear of the 1st green.
http://www.rosswatson.com.au/gong/gong2.jpg

I think that fence is there not only to proctect the cars in the car park, but also the adjacent road. Someone like Fishy would easily slice one out on the road if the fence wasn't there ... :twisted:

:lol:

Peter
10th August 2007, 10:54 PM
oooooooooooooh you could hit seeds into the stadium and hit Gaz... I like it.
Better aim for the stands - he doesn't seem to spend much time on the field these days!

Wollongong was a nice course. Really tough when the wind blows, especially around the back 9. Haven't seen the changes, so can't comment.

If you're in the area you could do a lot worse than to play Port Kembla (about 10 minutes down the road).

Scoot
11th August 2007, 08:56 AM
Have'nt been to Wollongong, but played Jamberoo lots when I was a kid with the grandparents.

Any of you guy's been there?