PDA

View Full Version : Guitars

mike
9th August 2007, 02:04 PM
Any guitar heads out there? My 15 yo son wants a Fender Telecaster. ( not a Stratocaster ) I want to surprise him for his birthday but there seems to be a huge price difference. I could go new or through ebay, don't know yet.

5 questions;

1. Are they all built in USA or are some made in China/India/Kazakstan ?

2. What should I be paying ?

3. Are the old ones better than new ?

4. What should I look for in a second hand one ?

5. Can't think of a fifth question

Fanks

Mike

Courty
9th August 2007, 02:09 PM
5. Can't think of a fifth question

5. Any pop-ups? :lol:

Ducky
9th August 2007, 02:19 PM
Basically, the price will vary depending on where it is assembled and the quality of parts (generally the type of wood and electronics). America/Mexico seem to be the main ones for Fender, but other manufacturers favour Japan as well. Most guitars assembled in the Asian countries (apart from Japan) tend to have poorer quality control. Keep that in mind.

With Fender (http://www.fender.com) you have the choice of going with their budget brand Squier (http://www.squierguitars.com/) (which still produce good quality guitars). If your son has never played a guitar before pick up a Squier, if he has played before than a Fender may be the way to go.

Jarro
9th August 2007, 03:58 PM
Whatever you do mike, don't spend much on his first guitar ... once (if) he gets the bug, he'll wanna upgrade it pretty quickly.

kpac
9th August 2007, 04:01 PM
Whatever you do mike, don't spend much on his first guitar ... once (if) he gets the bug, he'll wanna upgrade it pretty quickly.

you don't upgrade guitar's... you collect! (similar to you with golf clubs :lol: )

PeteyD
9th August 2007, 04:09 PM
If you are looking for a reasonable budget guitar to start him off Squire make versions of the Tele and strat that are not too bad and a lot cheaper tha nthe US made ones.'

goddamn typing problems

Jarro
9th August 2007, 04:17 PM
you don't upgrade guitar's... you collect! (similar to you with golf clubs :lol: )

Not if you start off with a Killer-Whale you don't :roll:

mike
9th August 2007, 07:36 PM
Umm, I should've given more background here.

The boy in question has been playing guitar for about 6 years and he's so good it's scary. (When I put him on Youtube I'll post a link.)

He already has a Squier Strat and wants to upgrade.

Last time I counted there were 12 guitars in the household, including 2 Matons.

One more can't hurt.

glen
9th August 2007, 08:10 PM
Mike,I have just bought a squier telecaster for my daughter from muso's corner in Newcastle. They had a new Fender telecaster in there reduced to less than half price, I am not much of a guitar expert but from memory it was an antique burst colour and some type of limited edition. When I was looking for my daughter I found the music shops a better deal than ebay.
They will take off 25% of the retail price for cash if you ask them and that brought the prices down to what they were going for 2nd hand on ebay.
Hope this is of some help,it was a $4000 guitar down to around $1600 I think.

goughy
9th August 2007, 10:44 PM
My singer and I used to have this conversation all the time re: fenders and where they are made. American made will cost more, sometimes much more than mexican or Japanese. But we always said that the yanky one would have been made on a friday arvo when the guy couldn't wait to get out of the factory and is rushing. The mexican, while 1.2 the price was made by a guy who really took pride in his work.

Mexican tele's will be cheaper, maybe half or more. It's still a fender tele though!

Ducky
10th August 2007, 12:40 AM
I want to add one more thing to what I already wrote above.

What does your son want out of a new guitar? Better action? Better sound? More sustain? A lot of the time simple after-market upgrades (especially with the pickups) can make a huge difference to sound. In addition, if he learns how to setup a guitar properly (that's if he doesn't already know) he can customise any guitar to his liking.

Now, I am going to politely remove myself from this thread before I decide to buy another guitar.

Jarro
10th August 2007, 07:18 AM
Tell him to take up drums instead.

Much cooler instrument and all the chicks dig the drummers :p

PeteyD
10th August 2007, 07:31 AM
C'mon, drummers are only used to check if the riser is level. We all know that is when he drools out of both sides of his mouth.

Jarro
10th August 2007, 07:37 AM
We make you nancy-boys look good Pedro ;)

mike
10th August 2007, 07:54 AM
What does your son want out of a new guitar? Better action? Better sound? More sustain? A lot of the time simple after-market upgrades (especially with the pickups) can make a huge difference to sound. In addition, if he learns how to setup a guitar properly (that's if he doesn't already know) he can customise any guitar to his liking.

What does he want out of a guitar? I guess a part of it is that he just wants a Fender. We know the Squier can be tricked up to sound nearly as good, but me and the missus see musical instruments for kids as an investment in more ways than one.

We need to get him a decent amp too. Probably a Marshall.

But thats another story.

And one day I'm going to buy myself a Porsche 911.

mike
10th August 2007, 07:54 AM
Now, I am going to politely remove myself from this thread before I decide to buy another guitar.

Whatcha got ?

Ducky
10th August 2007, 09:16 AM
Ibanez RG570 (1996 model).

Andrew
10th August 2007, 01:37 PM
Mike,

Can I suggest you do not surprise him by buying a guitar, but surprise him by saying, “Lets go out together & find the right guitar for you”. It will be a good ‘father & son’ activity, as well as allowing him to try a lot of different guitars.

I’ve been a professional guitarist for 23 years. These days I mostly compose & teach, but the first ½ of my career was as a touring musician. The main advice I give to my students (or their parents) when they ask about getting a new guitar, is to buy the best guitar they can afford.

I don’t know how many different guitars your son has played, but you should take him to a bunch of stores & try some in your price range.

At his age, you should try to get a versatile guitar as possible, as his requirements & tastes will change.

Don’t be scared of buying a 2nd hand guitar, but he would need to have a decent play of it before you committed to buying it.

In the late 80’s, I had an endorsement contract with Kramer guitars before they went into liquidation around 1990. During my time with them, they were making guitars in America, Japan & Korea. The American & Japanese guitars were virtually identical in regards to manufacturing quality & materials. Of course, the American models were dearer. All the guitars that Gary Kramer gave me were American, but the Japanese models I tried felt & sounded just as good.

The point I’m trying to make is that a Mexican Tele will sound & play just as good as an American, but will cost less.

I also own a per-L Fender Strat, a 1978 Strat & a Fender Tele from the late 60’s. Telecasters have a particular sound that can be limiting to some. If that is the sound your son is after, then he will not go wrong with a Tele, but as I said before, it is not as broad a sound as other guitars on the market.

If you do end up buying him a Tele, don’t buy a Marshal amp. To make the best use of a Tele, you would be better getting a Fender Twin or even a Line 6 amp or Pod. If he wants something heavy, go the ‘whole hog’ & get a Mesa Boogie.

goughy
10th August 2007, 05:26 PM
I've never heard a marshall that had what I would call a 'versatile' sound. Some also seem to have trouble sounding good soft enough. But some of those fenders - man!!! A guitarist in a band I was in had a retro fender (about 50 watts I think), and while it sounded like it could roar at high volumes, it had a nice full sound when at a whisper.

kpac
10th August 2007, 08:31 PM
as a son that was surprised with a guitar that was almost what i wanted for my 16th i can totally agree with Andrew - i appreciated the idea nd efort of mum and dad, but didn't have the guts to say to them at the time "can i put in another $300 and get the one i've found somewhere else?", HOWEVER i still have the guitar today and would not sell it for the world, at the time it wasn't what i really wanted - in hindsight (and not persueing music further) i wouldn't trade it for the earth.

PS - all acoustic based here :)

mike
11th August 2007, 10:41 AM
Thanks Andrew and Kpac. I'll take that advice.

We bought him a Maton CW80C a few months ago. He had to road test 50 or so guitars ( Matons, Ibenez, Martins, ColeClarks, Takamines ) at 5 different shops until he found the one that was just right.

So it's OK to buy a Mexican Tele and it's not a good idea to buy the Marshall.

Things are getting clearer

Johnny Canuck
15th August 2007, 11:32 AM
Hey Guys,

Jumping in on this thread for a little advice.
Thinking of buying an acoustic guitar, never played before. Was looking at a Washburn D10SCE. Comes with built in tuner and pick up.

Any thoughts on this brand? I can use any help on this matter.

Andrew
15th August 2007, 04:48 PM
Hey Guys,

Jumping in on this thread for a little advice.
Thinking of buying an acoustic guitar, never played before. Was looking at a Washburn D10SCE. Comes with built in tuner and pick up.

Any thoughts on this brand? I can use any help on this matter.

I don't know that particular model, but the few Washburn guitars that I have played have been reasonable, without being great.

If you are getting it for a good price, then I'm sure it will fine.

Deano
18th August 2007, 10:33 PM
Mexican Fender Teles are great value,certainly a worthy step up from a Squier.Drop in some Fender Custom Shop pickups and I reckon you'll get a better axe than USA Fender(for the $$).
Don't discount getting a G & L either.GREAT guitars,Leo Fender sold FENDER in 1965 and G & L represent his improvements over those original designs,designs he was refining and re-inventing up until his death.

Mesa-Boogie are awesome amps,most Fenders are fine also.I suggest you check out Peavey and VOX also if you looking for retro tones/sounds.
And yes, valve amps still sound much better than solid state/transistor.

We done on the Maton acoustics,great Aussie company and quality instruments.

Deano

henno
31st May 2010, 10:29 PM
http://imgur.com/SdCx3.jpg

KristianJ
31st May 2010, 11:03 PM

I can attest to this...although I did sell one last year to bring my total down to 6 (2 electrics, 3 acoustics and a bass). However I don't really have the urge to go out and get another one any time soon, even if it was a Wangcaster.

morgy
31st May 2010, 11:10 PM
I can attest to this...although I did sell one last year to bring my total down to 6 (2 electrics, 3 acoustics and a bass). However I don't really have the urge to go out and get another one any time soon, even if it was a Wangcaster.

What's in the bag mate? I've got a couple myself.. I'm sure there must be other guitar fans on here.

KristianJ
31st May 2010, 11:31 PM
In true WITB (or C for case) style - took this pic last year:

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/5008/img39502153113.th.jpg (http://img683.imageshack.us/i/img39502153113.jpg/)

Top row: Cort MR730-FX, Cort Earth 100F, Martinez something (it's my brother's)
Bottom row: Fender Strat '54 Reissue (Japanese mid 80's), Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus, Squier Telecaster Custom

I sold the Squier not long after and bought a Cort Earth 200/12F:

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/6808/img44432610024.th.jpg (http://img62.imageshack.us/i/img44432610024.jpg/)

And the bass is a cheapish black Fender Precision Bass copy.

idgolfguy
1st June 2010, 12:27 AM
Similar in number to my golf sets.
Yamaha SG2000S
Fender Strat Plus Deluxe
Gibson ES-135
Aria AP built for me out of the USA custom shop by one of the luthiers cause he liked my playing at the time
Paul Reed Smith SE
Ovation acoustic with cutaway
Yamaha small body nylon with cutaway
K Yairi handbuilt classical
Alembic bass that I have lent to mate in the early 90s
Daion bass with EMGs also lent to a mate.

goughy
1st June 2010, 08:50 AM
I should get a list from my mate! He had 25 the last time I remembered, including an old 5k gibson les paul which the guitarist in our band often borrows. Pity he's a much better pianist.

Bushka
2nd June 2010, 09:49 AM
I have an Epi Phone Les Paul triple humbucker black beauty (never liked epi phone but I don't play electric anymore so I got this just to keep up appearances)
Maton ES 325 that i traded the guys down at Maton for (send one of the old Maton electrics that sounded like poo but they wanted)
Maton ES 325 thats got a split in the deck from ex GF many years ago and necessitated above trade.
Lovely Admira Classical that I lugged around Europe/U.K after falling in love with in Barcelona
Assorted other rubbish guitars planted at parents/mates places for sing alongs..

I've lost or had stolen 3 fenders sold a heap of quad boxes and marshall heads at various times for Pot or paying the rent (back when i was playing in a band round Sydney) and I never really loved them as much as the Ephi Phone sound wise....odd.

dhills2
2nd June 2010, 08:35 PM
Similar in number to my golf sets.
Yamaha SG2000S
Fender Strat Plus Deluxe
Gibson ES-135
Aria AP built for me out of the USA custom shop by one of the luthiers cause he liked my playing at the time Sweeeeet... I'm no guitarist but my mate who was well on the way to becoming a studio guitarist had one of these & it sounded amazing!
Paul Reed Smith SE Sexy guitar... had a poster of Christina Aguilera with one of these in electric blue on my wall back in the day... no-one believed me when I said I liked the poster because of the PRS :)
Ovation acoustic with cutaway
Yamaha small body nylon with cutaway
K Yairi handbuilt classical
Alembic bass that I have lent to mate in the early 90s
Daion bass with EMGs also lent to a mate.

NICE :smt023

idgolfguy
2nd June 2010, 09:46 PM
Very much old school nothing new but then guitar playing hasn't changed much.

These were my work horses when I did it for a living for 15 years back in the 80s.

TourFit
2nd June 2010, 09:59 PM
Can you play all the 80's tunes id...??

mike
2nd June 2010, 10:46 PM
These were my work horses when I did it for a living for 15 years back in the 80s.:D Boy the 80s was a long decade.

idgolfguy
3rd June 2010, 12:16 AM
Still can play them...probably.

Late 70s to early 90s.

morgy
6th June 2010, 11:18 PM
I have a few guitars around the traps, most of them not worth a mention. My gamer is a Maton E525 slim line acoustic. I got it for my 18th a while ago now, had the pick-up played with by maton and the bridge lowered in 2005. Still the nicest acoustic I've ever played and I haven't seen too many of them around. Shame it gets minimal use these days but I'd never be able to sell it.

Back when I had the full setup I also had a telecaster, it was a nice guitar.... had to sell to pay my grog bill at uni, looking to pick another one up if anyone is selling :)

mike
6th June 2010, 11:41 PM
My gamer is a Maton E525 slim line acoustic. I got it for my 18th a while ago now, had the pick-up played with by maton and the bridge lowered in 2005. Still the nicest acoustic I've ever played and I haven't seen too many of them around. Shame it gets minimal use these days but I'd never be able to sell it.
My missus and son are nuts about Matons. She has an Australian and the boy has an Artist. Fantastic sound and quality.

KristianJ
22nd August 2011, 11:28 PM
Outcast, what's caught your eye that will set you back 2 grand? Just noticed your post in Pete's FS thread.