PDA

View Full Version : Week Commencing 30th July

PeteyD
1st August 2007, 10:29 AM
Me again!. Monthly mug today. Played pretty solid for a 93/71. Might lose another shot off the handicap. Putting was a bit woeful with 37. 5 Gir, and only a couple of fairways. Lost 4 balls in water today :( hitting a bit longer than I am used to. A lot happier than I was on Sunday!

BrisVegas
1st August 2007, 10:40 AM
You're hitting it longer because you're making stronger contact. I think you better start getting used to your new distances. I was impressed with how you hit it sunday.

Courty
1st August 2007, 10:41 AM
Nice shooting again, PD. :smt023

Grunt
1st August 2007, 12:13 PM
Played @ Bankstown, if call what i did playing :roll:
23 points, would have to be the worst game of golf I have ever played :mad:, I know the score is not the worst but the golf was. Enough said, am off 19 once more now :(

Iain
1st August 2007, 07:05 PM
Played in the peninsular challenge today out at Redcliffe, played quite well for a 82/70. Had a really good front 9, with 39 (+4) and then reality hit on the back with a 43 (+7). Hit a lot of good solid drives, my cut is starting to work nicely!! My chipping was pretty poor, so will plan to work on that in the near future.

markTHEblake
1st August 2007, 08:43 PM
I got back to my comfort zone today, after the putting debacle at gailes, holed a noice 20 footer from off the green on the first for a bird.

Still only managed to play to my handicap though, mostly result of hitting the biggest block with a 6 iron you would have ever seen in your life, according to Google Earth it was 40m right - flipping heck where did that come from...... 75/70

Whats happening out here, we all chop around Gailes and then turn it on when we are on our own somewhere else.

The OzGolf curse is alive and well - obviously.

PeteyD
2nd August 2007, 09:20 AM
Whats happening out here, we all chop around Gailes and then turn it on when we are on our own somewhere else.

The OzGolf curse is alive and well - obviously.

Definately! Handicrap dropped to 21.6, new lowest ever mark. Beaten by 3 shots, curse those missed putts !!!!

dc68
2nd August 2007, 09:31 AM
Was sick Tuesday and the Dr suggested I have Wednesday off as well. Started to feel better by 1030 yesterday hence the decision to have a hit in the Wednesday club. Continuing the tradition I turned it around and had 40 points... Incuding back to back eagles on 11 and 12:shock:. That is a first for me.

PeteyD
2nd August 2007, 09:35 AM
What did you hit in on 12? Drive the green?

dc68
2nd August 2007, 09:39 AM
Yep hit it to 3 feet.

Courty
2nd August 2007, 09:41 AM
Nice one, sick-boy. :p

dc68
2nd August 2007, 09:55 AM
:smt078 :smt023

markTHEblake
2nd August 2007, 10:22 AM
yep - its a long way from having 14pts

Flowergirl
3rd August 2007, 12:19 PM
Haven't played for nearly 3 weeks due to my foot - but I really miss posting on this thread.:shock: Cna't think that I've had this big of a break from golf since I started playing. Funny thing is - I'm not really missing it either. That's a bit scary:-k

Courty
3rd August 2007, 08:52 PM
Today was the first round of the City of Cairns 54 hole Classic. I was cruising along ok (+1 nett after 12 holes), until we hit the traffic jam. A 15 minute wait on the 13th tee was where my reasonable form ended. A triple on that hole and then a string of bogies ended in an 86/78. 5 hrs 20 mins is unacceptable for 18 holes. :evil: I would have complained, but the line was already 10 deep.
Gotta try & dig deep tomorrow to claw back a few of today's dropped shots.

Grunt
3rd August 2007, 08:56 PM
Bad luck Courty, I hate slow play. Hate to say it but it make me feel better to know that it effects others too.

BrisVegas
4th August 2007, 11:59 AM
Yet another crap score. I've run out of excuses. I've just lost the plot at the moment. Too much going on I guess. Not sure when my next game will be.

Today was single stab - 25 points.
11 fairways
7 GIR
37 putts

Grunt
4th August 2007, 04:20 PM
A crap game but I am happy, shot 96. Could have been way worse with a 9 and 3X 7's. Highlights of the day were the 3 eagle attempts for the day, I failed to convert any but got one birdie out of the 3. Almost got my swing back on track, but on the whole I enjoyed my day.

Scoot
4th August 2007, 04:57 PM
Hey guys,

Will shoot 79 tomorrow.

Have'nt hit 70's yet. Feeling good, about due.

PS, Driver was woeful at the range today

Scoot
4th August 2007, 04:59 PM
with a 9 and 3X 7's. Highlights of the day were the 3 eagle attempts for the day, I failed to convert any but got one birdie out of the 3. Almost got my swing back on track, but on the whole I enjoyed my day.[/quote]

One of those days. Well done

Where do you play. Are they short par fives, or are you a monster?

Grunt
4th August 2007, 05:03 PM
Macarthur Grange Country Club, Shortish par 5's and the wind was helping, I am no monster.

Courty
4th August 2007, 05:19 PM
2nd round of the City of Cairns. They seemed to have addressed the slow play issue today, as we teed off on time (30mins late yesterday) and finished in 4.5 hrs. Not ideal, but a massive improvement.
Individually, I'm reasonably happy with my performance. On the 1st hole I put my ball straight into the lake, and walked off with a double thinking "here we go again". But I hit back straight away with several consecutive tap-in pars. To cut a long story short, I birdied the last for a 79/71 (Nett -1). Like any round, it could have been better, but I'll take it.

Effective tee-shots: 11/14
GIR: 12/18
Putts: 34 :evil:

markTHEblake
4th August 2007, 05:36 PM
Is that the lake on your course guide that is 120m off the fairway? maybe you should use a shorter club off the tee to take it out of play.

Courty
4th August 2007, 05:38 PM
Yes it is, I hit a block into a strong headwind. :roll:

I probably should have used a different club, but I was striping the driver on the range only minutes beforehand. :???:

Fishman Dan
4th August 2007, 06:22 PM
Medal today.

Nett +1 (66) with an 8 and a 7 on the Par 5's. The one on the 18th was safety golf gone stupid, with a 6-iron layup from the middle of the fairway to 100m out.... in the trees.

Who cares - I'm the Winner of the Winter Challenge plate for 2008 with an 8 shot victory over the bloke I was against in the playoff. :D

Grunt
4th August 2007, 06:24 PM
Congrats Dan, good to hear one of us is winning.

Grunt
4th August 2007, 08:53 PM
Saw a pretty rare/cruel/funny sight today. A mate of mine skulled his hybrid tee shot which got no more than 1 foot off the ground.
As it got to the ladies tees it hit a duck in the back of the head taking the duck's head clean of at the top of the neck:shock:.
There we had a head and on the other side of the tee box we had a headless duck running around for a little bit until it rolled onto its back.
Was a weird sight seeing an animal beheaded by a golfball,

BrisWesty
4th August 2007, 09:28 PM
Nice work Dan.

Played Stableford at Caboolture today. First round for 3 weeks. Was ready to walk off after 7 holes (and 5 points), but stayed and ended up with 27 points overall. 9/18. Had all sorts of problems with a sore neck over the first few holes and was hooking the ball anything up to 30 metres off line. But once I figured it out, started striping the driver.

Putted like a dog. Haven't kept track of numbers. The recent cold weather has made the greens lightning fast, plus it was the 3rd round of the ladies champs today, which made for some interesting pin positions. Some fairly long traffic jams on some holes, but nothing like yours Courty.

oz
4th August 2007, 10:22 PM
Monthly Medal at Thurgoona today. Reasonably solid start, ball striking OK, putting nicely. Solid 3 pars to start.... then cold topped a "safe" 3 wood off the tee on 13, and nearly rolled it OOB. Made birdie on 14, and was swinging well. Dropped one in the water on the par 3 16th (double-bogey). Sloppy scoring, despite swinging pretty well.

Out in 40. (+4)

Played steadily on the back (front9), making a bogey on 2 & 3, but pars aroudn to the 9th (my last). Lazy tee shot got away on the breeze, leaving me miles out, and back into the wind. Rifled a 4 iron to 8 feet, and made the birdie to finish.

Home in 37. 77 gross, nett 71 (par 72). Ballstriking was fairly solid, and my iron play is coming around.

FWIW - the medal was won with a nett 62 (that's -10). Bloody bushranger!

Coffs_Hacker
5th August 2007, 11:27 AM
First 2 rounds of golf since the birth of the young fella
Thurs a 4bbb 39pts but had 38pts myself - long and slow but played well and consistent- bit rusty around the greens

Sat was monthly mug 88- 76, started double, double and thought it was going to be a long day then par'd the next 7 and turned 2under nett. Back nine was the long day part - a triple and a quad on the first 2 holes wrecked it.

Not a bad return though - played well considering the time off.

gazgolf1
5th August 2007, 11:42 AM
Nudgee today I bounced back from my ton at Gailes with a +1 72 in a stroke event.
Birdied the 9th (our final hole) from about 20ft to get back to +1 which was pretty satisfying. :)

peter_rs
5th August 2007, 12:18 PM
St lucia,

73/89 (52/37)
33 putts
5 GIR
1.7putts/GIR

Nudgee
71/87(44/43)
40 putts
8 GIR
2.1 putts/GIR

Could have been better started with a 4 putt 8 on 1 and had a 8 on 17 after a unplayable 3.

BrisWesty
5th August 2007, 01:45 PM
Bridge to Brisbane - somewhere between 61 and 64 minutes. Clocked myself at 63'40" but it took a couple of minutes to get moving and even then it was a really slow jog most of the way up the bridge. The clock over the finish line said 63 flat.

Over 18 minutes for the first 3km, and then just over 45 minutes for the last 9km. Pretty happy with that.

Next year am going to break 60 minutes.

AndyP
5th August 2007, 02:01 PM
I reported mine in the weight loss thread, Westy. How close to the front were you at the start? I didn't cross the start line until about 20min after the start, maybe I got less crowd on the bridge.

Grunt
5th August 2007, 02:28 PM
Played at Camden Lakeside with Jono & Jimandr.
Played ok was not too bad to be honest.
Gross 93
34 Stab points
Nett 74
4 Fairways
0 GIR
35 putts

Next game is Blue Canyon Country Club - Phuket, Thailand

BrisWesty
5th August 2007, 02:53 PM
I think I crossed the line at about 2'30", I'd weaved my way up as near the front as possible while wearing a yellow 70-100 min label.

See neither of us won the car either.

AndyP
5th August 2007, 02:59 PM
See neither of us won the car either.
I didn't hang around. I did spot Thommo there though.

I forgot to mention
Andy running from Murarrie to New Farm - 64.5min
Return bus driving from New Farm to Murarrie - 82min FFS. There aren't too many ways out of that pocket of the river. :roll: (over 1hr from New Farm to Brunswick St)

Scoot
5th August 2007, 03:22 PM
Hey guys,

Will shoot 79 tomorrow.

Have'nt hit 70's yet. Feeling good, about due.

PS, Driver was woeful at the range today

Did I say 79?.

Continued the range work onto the course. Only hit four fairways, and converted three of them to GIR. (Two of those fairways were just luck - Terrible swings)

Followed that up with 40 (fourty) putts.

Inbetween the tee and the green felt allright though.

Solid 26 points. Firsy time under 30 in quite a while.

jimandr
5th August 2007, 04:21 PM
This is my first chance to post here for three weeks, and I did the best I could on a difficult course in a strong breeze. 30 points around Camden Lakeside in todays conditions wasn't too bad. I've played worse and shot 38 in the past.

Fairways = 8 of 14
Greens in Reg = 6 of 18
Putts = 33, one 3putt, no birdies
Up&Down = 4 of 10

It was nice to be back on the course again.

Courty
5th August 2007, 05:53 PM
3rd round of the City of Cairns.

Another 30 min late tee-time. Another 5.5 hr round. Another 0.1. :smt093

Those @#$%s couldn't organise a @#$%ing @#$% in a @#$%ing brothel. :smt013

Scoot
5th August 2007, 06:05 PM
3rd round of the City of Cairns.

Another 30 min late tee-time. Another 5.5 hr round. Another 0.1. :smt093

Wow. What's been the problem?

Grunt
5th August 2007, 06:20 PM
Have they got the same match officials as Macarthur Grange? Did not know they were up there too.;)

perci
5th August 2007, 08:07 PM
Bridge to Brisbane - somewhere between 61 and 64 minutes. Clocked myself at 63'40" but it took a couple of minutes to get moving and even then it was a really slow jog most of the way up the bridge. The clock over the finish line said 63 flat.

Over 18 minutes for the first 3km, and then just over 45 minutes for the last 9km. Pretty happy with that.

Next year am going to break 60 minutes.

How many BEERs?

Courty
6th August 2007, 09:34 AM
Wow. What's been the problem?

OK. Imagine you're on the match committee for arguably the biggest amateur tournament in regional Qld. So here's what you would do:

Allow more entries than can be fit on the course at one time... check.
Change half the field's tee-times without advising any of them... check.
Advise the greenkeeping staff not to mow ANY fairways for at least a week prior to the event... check.
Grumble & complain about slow play from the air-conditioned bar rather than getting out on the course and doing something about it... check.
Generally piss off everyone in the process of ruining a once-great event... check.

:roll:

Iain
6th August 2007, 10:15 AM
Monthly Mug on Sat, Played ok on the front for a 41, but came home with a 48 for an 89/77. Missed a couple of short putts I shouldn't of, hit driver ok again. Birdied 2 of the par 3's including the 200m 13th!!

markTHEblake
6th August 2007, 11:33 AM
what is it with the northern clubs and slow play. Was pretty bad at Townsville, Darwin 5-6 hour rounds were almost normal on the big days when we had around 300 on the course.

They gotta bite the bullet and spread the field a bit more and accept the fact that not everyone can play.

Jarro
6th August 2007, 04:23 PM
Just noticed a certain member of OzGolf won the Dudley Von Nida cup at Nudgee G.C. on Sunday, shooting a nett 65 off a 7 handicap 8)

Eag's
6th August 2007, 04:40 PM
Well done Gaz you legend :smt023

shazza_rs
6th August 2007, 04:43 PM
nice followup from the ton at Gailes Gaz... Well done!

gazgolf1
6th August 2007, 04:45 PM
Thanks doods. :)

Jarro
6th August 2007, 04:48 PM
Well come on ... give us a rundown of the round ?????

New driver working out alright ?

gazgolf1
6th August 2007, 05:00 PM
Well come on ... give us a rundown of the round ?????

New driver working out alright ?

New driver is pretty good.

I just made some putts for a change....5 birdies,9 pars,2 bogies,2 doubles.
I was 3 under after the back nine and then proceeded to blow it a bit but birdied the 9th to get back to +1.
Nice not to choke too bad...probably should have shot a couple under...doubling the 3rd hole did'nt help.

Jarro
6th August 2007, 05:05 PM
Nice shootin mate 8)

PeteyD
6th August 2007, 06:29 PM
Nice way to come back to form Gaz.

markTHEblake
6th August 2007, 06:40 PM
and here we all were thinking you had chopped it around for a 72 nett.....

BrisWesty
6th August 2007, 07:37 PM
No beers, Perci, I'm allergic to it. Seriously.

Turns out my dirty round at Caboolture on Saturday was not an isolated event. Heard of a couple of people 6 putted a couple of greens (and it wasn't me - I only 3 putted and did that 3 times - 4 if I include the one I putted off the green)! Ball run down to 32 points!