PDA

View Full Version : Too much practice?

AndyP
24th September 2004, 04:17 PM
My matchplay final is coming up. It is to be played on Sunday, October 3 in the afternoon some time.

So for practice I will be playing in the Saturday comp. I will also be having one or two range sessions during next week. But I'm not sure if I would be over-doing it, if I played 9 or 18 holes on the Sunday morning beforehand. I've never walked 36 holes in a day. Maybe a round of pitch-n-putt will suffice. :?

What are your thoughts?

Ducky
24th September 2004, 04:28 PM
I found when I started playing 12 holes each afternoon after TAFE, and 36 holes on my days off, I lost my rhythm and feel, and started playing like absolute crap. You would assume the more practice, the better you will play, but Golf is the exception in my case.

My advice would be to get as much practice in as you can without over doing it (so you remain fresh), and try not to change anything in regards to your game before your match. The last thing you want is to have to focus on swing thoughts or new techniques. Remember, you have to dance with who you brang (Who said that? Was it Arnold Palmer?).

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

Flowergirl
24th September 2004, 04:28 PM
My advice would be to put in a practise session on the range beforehand. Just go over all your shots and reinforce that you can reproduce them on the course during the game. A solid session of putting - so when you need to make that putt - you know that you did it in practise so you can do it now. Keep it simple and use it as a confidence builder.

I would be concerned that if you played beforehand and played badly - you'd only worry " what if I do that in the game".

You know you can do it - that's why you are in the final. Believe in yourself and stay focused without putting pressure on yourself.

I know that this is a very simple approach - and that I am a novice when it comes to golf but it's amazing how my acting training and experience can be applied to many aspects of life including golf. Best of luck to you Andy. :)

Fishman Dan
24th September 2004, 04:40 PM
I think you should take an 8 week break off - hopefully do wonders to my game ;) :roll:

jaster
24th September 2004, 06:30 PM
I would say pitch and putt could be a good thing, certainly the area where you will see the biggest benefit....some of the best matchplay games I have played have been when I have chipped and putted very well, also helps break your opponents confidence.

From what goughy tells me your driving is good at the moment so I would stay away from beating balls at the range and maybe play 9-18 holes to relax and certainly do not worry about the result too much, bad strokeplay games still could win at matchplay 8)

Most of all, get a routine and do not waiver from it. This way if the pressure hits then you just stick to your routine and the pressure will not be as bad.

Good luck mate and we'll be all rooting for ya ;)

AndyP
24th September 2004, 08:24 PM
Thanks guys.

If I did play at all on the Sunday morning, it would be a social hit with my brother, so I wouldn't be putting too much pressure on myself. But I'm thinking I should keep it to 9 holes maximum, as I wouldn't want to be buggered if the matchplay final went the distance. Or hire a buggy.

Chipping and Putting is definitely my focus for the week and a bit leading upto the round. I just finished Bob Rotella's "Putting Out Of Your Mind" and can't wait to get out on the golf course this Sunday to start using these philosophies.

my acting training and experience
I don't mind a threadjack on my own thread. More details please. Have you ever met Toady? :wink:

AndyP
24th September 2004, 08:41 PM
Just turn up on the day...few practice swings on the tee...no putts...sweet. 8)
Nah.
I'm out to prove I'm not a one-hit wonder. ;)

Jarro
25th September 2004, 09:24 AM
.. be sure to turn up still half pissed with less than 4 hours sleep in ya as well ...... beware the wounded golfer :wink: :lol:

Good Luck 8)

Golfgirl
25th September 2004, 10:22 AM
I think Jarro and G69 are onto something.... this approach has often worked for me.... :oops: :roll:

Maybe we should collaborate on a Rotella-ish book, guys?? :wink:

jaster
25th September 2004, 10:34 AM
.. be sure to turn up still half pissed with less than 4 hours sleep in ya as well ...... beware the wounded golfer :wink:

Especially if you are standing just off to the right of them :lol:

Flowergirl
25th September 2004, 11:12 AM
Thanks guys.

my acting training and experience
I don't mind a threadjack on my own thread. More details please. Have you ever met Toady? :wink:

Andy.......yes!!! Not too proud to admit I did have a gig on Neighbours.....like nearly every other actor in Melbourne!!!

jaster
25th September 2004, 11:20 AM
Spill the beans, bit part? Few episodes? Long running cast member? (Gabby maybe?) Come on...I am a closet neighbours fan :oops:

markTHEblake
25th September 2004, 11:28 AM
Formulae for Success at Nambour GC.

The night before go to a Nightclub, pass out in the toilet standing up. Get carried out by a mate, get thrown out of nightclub. Get carried into another nightclub by mate, pass out on couch waiting for mate to get beer, get carried out by a bouncer around 1am. Mate has no idea what happens to Golfer next.

Around 8am, arrive at Nambour GC have two practice swings, 3 dry wreaches, and Par the course to win the Nambour Open Championship.
(no it wasnt me, I was the mate in this story).

Ducky
25th September 2004, 11:55 AM
OMG!

You have to go to acting school to be on Neighbours?

:shock:

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

goughy
25th September 2004, 03:17 PM
Andy, your driving is fine mate. I'd forget about the long game and go for chipping and putting. I reckon you can make the regulation pars (and birdies) often enough to win holes. Get your chipping and putting going full bore to make sure you don't lose holes, and you'll win some extras along the way.

AndyP
25th September 2004, 08:15 PM
I'm pretty pumped about the final, but it is still a week away.
All the advice has confirmed that chipping and putting practice is my best bet for the next week.

mTb, if you want me to actually go clubbing in Nambour, I think I will pass. :shock:

Andy.......yes!!! Not too proud to admit I did have a gig on Neighbours.....like nearly every other actor in Melbourne!!!
Wow! And I was only joking!
Now I must know more. Describe the actual episode/episodes you were in? Are you a stunt double for Summer? ;)

markTHEblake
26th September 2004, 12:06 AM
mTb, if you want me to actually go clubbing in Nambour, I think I will pass. :shock:

The aforementioned nightclubs were the Stewarts Hotel at Alex, and another near Cotton Tree (probaly both dont exist now). I assume the only nightlife in nambour still is when they leave the lights on in the council carpark?

Flowergirl
27th September 2004, 09:09 AM
Not going to thread jack you Andy........another thread and I will reveal all :wink:

Jarro
27th September 2004, 02:27 PM
Not going to thread jack you Andy........another thread and I will reveal all :wink:

let me guess :-k

.. you had a guest role as the dominatrix chick that worked behind the counter at the snack bar :smt079

:smt112

Flowergirl
27th September 2004, 02:51 PM
Nup..........I played a vet!!!

AndyP
27th September 2004, 03:24 PM
Nup..........I played a vet!!!
Did you have to give Bouncer the breath of life? :mrgreen:

AndyP
1st October 2004, 03:18 PM
Well, so much for too much practice. As of 10 minutes ago, my matchplay is going to be at 6:30a tomorrow, instead of the Sunday afternoon round initially planned. When I rang my opponent he told me that Sunday was full with social bookings. (Thanks for ringing and telling me before we packed our bags to go back to the Sunshine Coast :mad: ) So to avoid having to go back to the Coast two weekends in a row, we are teeing off before the comp tomorrow at 6:30a (he plays cricket in the afternoon).

So that means no practice round, no driving range (not open by the time i get back tonight), and no pitch and putt beforehand.

I'm not sure that this is such a bad thing, as I didn't know how I would take the result of the practice round into my matchplay. I did go to the range on Wednesday, and I was relatively happy with the way i was hitting it, so it might be best to go into it tomorrow trusting my swing as it is. It will stop any doubts creeping in between now and the round.

I'll still be able to get there early (sunrise 5:30am, I checked :wink: ), warm-up, play a couple of the holes and practice some putting.

Thanks for your advice anyway, guys. 8)

So now I am available for a round in the Coast area on Sunday morning. :) Any takers? Damo?

amanda
1st October 2004, 03:24 PM
I'll still be able to get there early (sunrise 5:30am, I checked :wink: ), warm-up, play a couple of the holes and practice some putting.
Be careful not to DQ yourself by playing on the course the day of the comp (I think I'm interpreting the rule correctly)

BrisVegas
1st October 2004, 03:25 PM
Good luck AndyP. You can do it. I have faith in you. 8)

AndyP
1st October 2004, 03:37 PM
Be careful not to DQ yourself by playing on the course the day of the comp (I think I'm interpreting the rule correctly)
Matchplay amanda, that rule goes out the window.

jaster
1st October 2004, 05:10 PM
Your right andy, matchplay you can play as much as you want!! :wink:

Good luck mate and I hope you can do it!! Remember to stay patient as it is matchplay and a double bogey on one hole means nothing :lol:

Jarro
1st October 2004, 05:56 PM
Well, so much for too much practice. As of 10 minutes ago, my matchplay is going to be at 6:30a tomorrow, instead of the Sunday afternoon round initially planned.

good thing i wasn't able to make the hitout tomorrow then wasn't it :roll:

Good luck tomorrow APH ... just concentrate on getting your tee-shots in play, that'll rattle your opponent no doubt :smt023

terryand
1st October 2004, 06:50 PM
Good luck tomorrow Andy.

Don't worry too much about the lack of practice this week...its over rated :smt011 You'll be fine by going out and playing a few holes and getting the feel for the greens :smt023

Terry.