PDA

View Full Version : Ebay problems - how should I deal with this?

Jono
24th September 2004, 03:30 PM
I've bought numerous stuff off Ebay (mostly golf related) and up until now, I've been satisfied with the products/sellers. I am experiencing my first problem with ebay transaction, and since some of you have experience with ebay, I'd like to ask for some advice as to what I should do in this situation.

I have just purchased a digital camera off ebay from a reputable seller.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3839872967&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

I chose Sony DSC-W1 because it's compact and has an excellent video capture facility (30fps and high shutter speed, ideal for capturing the golf swing). It retails for $700 to $790.

I bid up to $425.
Shipping FedEx $88, coming from Hong Kong. (subtotal $513)
GST $52 (expected. subtotal $565)
"Customs Clearance Fee" $49 (What the? Never heard of this before. Total now $614).

OK, I've still saved about $100. That's not too bad. Not as good as first thought, but still OK.

I open the box and am shocked to find a manual that is clearly not original. It is photocopied. The quality is so bad, I can hardly read the smaller print. But it's in English ...

It gets worse. I turn the camera on, and the menu is in Chinese! There doesn't seem to be any way of changing the language to English. I'm fumbling through the menus, referring to the menu to see if I can find the translation ... Impossible task. I'm totally stuffed.

I went back to read the ebay listing again, and there is no mention of the camera operating menus being in Chinese. This guy sells heaps of cameras on ebay and has received almost 100% positive feedback (although the seller has kept the feedback comments private). Am I the only buyer from this guy that is not happy?

I have emailed the seller about the situation and am waiting for reply. I am hoping we can work something out because I can not use this camera as it is. However, if he refuses to do anything about this, what should I do? Should I just cop it sweet and use the camera as best as I can (or sell it to a Chinese speaking person)? Should I contact ebay about this guy? Dept of fair trading/practices? (you can see that I'm getting pretty desperate ... :( )

McMw
24th September 2004, 03:39 PM
pretty sure there is a language menu - most digital cameras have this...I think...

did the camera look new???

all you just need is to find a mate who can read chinese, and get him/her to reset the langauge back to english.... :wink:

OR - get in touch with Sony....

it's like playing with your mate's mobile....and changing the language to french or spanish or chinese....it's a CRACKER!!! :lol:

3oneday
24th September 2004, 03:48 PM
Had a similar prob with a laptop for the boss, we solved it by going to the Sony website and entering product detail. You may even get a better copy of the manual there ??

Customs do charge a fee to interrupt their coffee, a part of life I am afraid.

Not sure about the copy stuff, he would probably get you on a technicality I would reckon, ie "I said the camera was new", can't argue if it is. Some people are shifty....

Pete

AndyP
24th September 2004, 04:15 PM
....and changing the language to french or spanish or chinese....it's a CRACKER!!! :lol:
:lol:
I've never done that.
I might do that to the missus. :-k :wink:

drunken
24th September 2004, 05:11 PM
I could call some "friends" in Hong Kong to go "Visit" the seller if you like...ummm better PM about this one :twisted:

markTHEblake
24th September 2004, 06:03 PM
Should I contact ebay about this guy? Dept of fair trading/practices? (you can see that I'm getting pretty desperate ..

Grasshopper; dont stress and give him benefit of doubt until you get a response from him. He might be a lovely bloke and you get to save some hair.

It gets worse. I turn the camera on, and the menu is in Chinese!

Hate to be the one to have to tell you this - your not exactly anglo-saxon.

amanda
24th September 2004, 06:09 PM
Jono - they say the products are brand new from the factory - if so - the instruction manual shouldn't be photocopied.

I'd say that alone would qualify as misleading advertising and the ability to take action under Trade Practices.

McMw
24th September 2004, 06:13 PM
amanda - if this was purchased in Aus...no problem...

seeing as how it's purchased off ebay, and from HK no less...don't like the chances of the FTA being much help...

jono, if the manual is not much of a concern, I wouldn't bother....as long as the camera is NEW...

jaster
24th September 2004, 06:23 PM
Thanks Jaster ;)

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/W1/W1A.HTM

Camera Modes and Menus

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/W1/ZDSCENES.JPG

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/W1/ZDSETUP.JPG
Setup Mode: This mode allows you to change a variety of camera settings. The Setup menu is automatically displayed upon entering the mode.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/W1/ZMENSET3.GIF

Setup 1:

* LCD Backlight: Controls the level of the LCD's backlight, with options of Bright, Normal, and Dark.
* Beep: Controls the camera's beep sounds, turning them on or off. A Shutter option enables only the shutter beep noise.
* Language: Selects among Italian, French, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, or English for the menu language.

Jono
24th September 2004, 09:47 PM
Jaster,

I know it's been said before, but I'll say it again.

JASTER, YOU DA MAN!! :lol: :lol:

Following your animated instructions, I was able to sift through the menus and get to the language option. It's so good to see plain ENGLISH ... :wink: (BTW, my camera only comes with English, Japanese, and Chinese options)

Thanks mate, I owe you one.

I guess I can live with the photocopied manual. I'd be interested to hear from the seller as to why the manual is photocopied when the camera is new. I just hope it's not something that had "fallen from the back of the truck". :?

Ducky
24th September 2004, 09:51 PM
How many items do you have to know that fall off the back of a truck and straight onto a photocopying machine?

:P

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

Jono
24th September 2004, 09:51 PM
Hate to be the one to have to tell you this - your not exactly anglo-saxon.

Really? I always thought I had blonde hair and blue eyes ... :shock: :lol:

Jono
24th September 2004, 09:55 PM
amanda - if this was purchased in Aus...no problem...

seeing as how it's purchased off ebay, and from HK no less...don't like the chances of the FTA being much help...

jono, if the manual is not much of a concern, I wouldn't bother....as long as the camera is NEW...

The seller is based in Melbourne but the goods are from HK. At least I can work the camera now the display is in English. The camera is new and it seems to be in good condition. However, I'll have to think twice before buying from overseas again.

damoocow
24th September 2004, 10:01 PM
Jono-
on the basis of what I have read here I would leave feedback that reflected the rubbish you have been put through - ebay feedback is too nice - need some people to put the boot in - let people know how shonky the deal was - use the words -'do not trust this seller ' etc etc.
damoocow

Jono
24th September 2004, 10:10 PM
damoocow,

This seller has kept the comments "private". You can see how many positive and negative feedbacks he has, but you can't actually read the comments. It would have been interesting to read what the negative comments were ... :roll:

I'm going to wait for the reply from the seller before I leave any feedback. The bad thing about leaving a negative feedback is that he can leave a negative feedback for me as well, even if I was prompt with my payment.

It was a good lesson for me. Next time, I'll spend the extra dollars and buy locally.

damoocow
24th September 2004, 10:26 PM
Jono - is it one feedback comment each ? - can you wait till he leaves his feedback before you leave yours ?
damoocow

markTHEblake
24th September 2004, 11:53 PM
Ebay sellers that leave feedback last are scabs. As far as that is concerned the transaction is complete once the buyer has paid, but some sellers always want to wait for the buyers feedback first - that is wrong.

Kee
25th September 2004, 06:10 PM
Jono, its pretty common for products in HK not have an English Manual. I've bought 2 digital camera's during my last 2 visits there and I had to specifically ask the sales guy to swap out the Chinese manual with an English one. Also, a lot of the cheaper electronics that are sold in HK are grey imports, coming from Japan rather then the "local" version of the product. You can probably tell from the power plugs you get with your camera.

AndyP
25th September 2004, 08:48 PM
I'm going to wait for the reply from the seller before I leave any feedback. The bad thing about leaving a negative feedback is that he can leave a negative feedback for me as well, even if I was prompt with my payment.
1. The seller should have already left you feedback. You have finished your half of the transaction before well before they have.

2. I would consider leaving a neutral feedback. You have received the product but ........