PDA

View Full Version : American commentators - not the greatest

davidp
26th July 2007, 03:10 AM
I get Golf Channel over here in Kuala Lumpur through my cable TV service, with all the US PGA events covered.

I'm getting really jack of American commentators butchering golfer's names. Tell me, how can you pronounce Camilo Villegas' surname as <Vil-la-jay-gas>? I don't know how to speak Spanish, but surely it's got to be pronounced <Vil-lay-gas>?

They are also incredibly annoying in their over-analysis of absolutely everything during tournament commentary. It was a refreshing change to hear the commentary at the British Open (and all European PGA events for that matter). Sparser commentary, and usually very well informed.

Having now had my rant, it's nice to be able to watch coverage of the Nationwide Tour where quite a few Aussies are making an impression.

Ducky
26th July 2007, 03:28 AM
Tell me, how can you pronounce Camilo Villegas' surname as <Vil-la-jay-gas>? I don't know how to speak Spanish, but surely it's got to be pronounced <Vil-lay-gas>?
Actually, their version is closer than yours. It's pronounced like bee-jay-gus.

davidp
26th July 2007, 04:50 AM
Actually, their version is closer than yours. It's pronounced like bee-jay-gus.

Okay, I stand corrected on Camilo's surname. Researching the Columbian dialect of Spanish, that seems to be the go. Still, I would like to hear the American commentators have a go at a European soccer game, Les Murray style. :)

McCoy
26th July 2007, 04:47 PM
Les is a bit past it now, but at his peak he was in a class of his own. TISM did the song "What nationality is Les Murray?" and they won an ARIA for their album. Les got up to accept the award for TISM, took the piss out of himself on stage and bombed totally because no one in the audience had any idea who the hell he was.

"EllOeecee passes the ball to ViDooCAR, ViDooCAR chips the goalkeePAHHH. 1 Kneeeeeeeeeeeeeel !!!!!!!!!!!"

And all done is some hybrid English, Spanish, European, Richie Benaud style accent. Fantastic stuff.

Jarro
26th July 2007, 04:59 PM
Just once i wanna hear a yank say ALUMINIUM properly :smt093 :smt013 :roll:

davidp
24th June 2008, 04:58 AM
I'm getting really jack of American commentators butchering golfer's names. Tell me, how can you pronounce Camilo Villegas' surname as <Vil-la-jay-gas>? I don't know how to speak Spanish, but surely it's got to be pronounced <Vil-lay-gas>?

This, folks, is called karma. Karma moved me to Sth America so I could learn that Camilo's surname is in fact pronounced "Bee-jay-gas", as Ducky rightly pointed out.

I will keep my trap shut if I see an Icelandic golfer on telly. God only knows where I'll end up .... :shock: