PDA

View Full Version : Clash of the Contenders! who will unseat the 510TP??

BrisVegas
20th July 2007, 09:50 AM
At this very minute, our friend from FNQ, Courty, is staging a shootout between the TM Superquad and Titleist D2 to see which one will replace his faithful 510TP.

He's looking for a bigger, more forgiving version of the 510. My bet is he buys the Superquad, but he says he's keeping an open mind. He has, after all, demo'd a Cleveland HiBore of all things!

Any 510TP faithful out there tried either of these clubs? which one is most like the 510??

p.s. Superquad has stock Reax shaft. D2 has stock VS Proto.

PeteyD
20th July 2007, 10:08 AM
Feeling in the US is for the R5 TP. Seem to be a few going back to it after trying the Superquad and Burners.

3oneday
20th July 2007, 10:56 AM
Isn't the Superquad obsolete ? It's been out for what, 3 months... surely it's been replaced by now !

I heard Ping are bringing out a Rhapsody driver, sounds right up his alley :lol:

Moe Norman
20th July 2007, 11:30 AM
I've had a few shootouts recently in consideration of replacing my own 510 TP and so far nothing has measured up.

My budget limit is $300 however, and a 905R with V2 X flex is the only contender left.

Matt 3 Jab
20th July 2007, 11:34 AM
R510 TP is a really good driver, best ive hit so far

Jarro
20th July 2007, 07:56 PM
He's had a stiffy for a SuperQuad for ages, i reckon he'll go with that ... and keep his 510 as a backup which he'll end up going with again and sell the SuperQuad :roll:

Jono
20th July 2007, 08:06 PM
He's looking for a bigger, more forgiving version of the 510. My bet is he buys the Superquad, but he says he's keeping an open mind. He has, after all, demo'd a Cleveland HiBore of all things!

Since he's keeping an open mind, he should try the AURORA. Especially the foamed version. ;)

:lol:

rick3003
20th July 2007, 08:06 PM
Courty - You need to try a J33R 460. Closest in feel to the 510tp and more forgiving. Real cheap too.

BrisVegas
20th July 2007, 08:14 PM
Since he's keeping an open mind, he should try the AURORA. Especially the foamed version. ;)

:lol:

Didn't you ditch the Aurora for a D2 already? :roll:

3oneday
20th July 2007, 09:15 PM
He has 43 Auroras I think.. or is it shares in the company, can't remember.

As long as it has a smooth as silk NV you'll be fine 8)

kwantfm
20th July 2007, 09:46 PM
510 TP devotees really should try the Burner TP, similar feel, similar look (bar the graphics)... much bigger.

With a larger budget Japanese domestic market drivers start to come into the picture with the Epon 460 and Tourstage 430P probably being the lead contenders.

Jono
21st July 2007, 10:47 AM
Didn't you ditch the Aurora for a D2 already? :roll:

D2's sitting quietly in the corner, waiting for the NV to be inserted. It'll have to be pretty good to knock the Aurora out of the bag though ...

mikezone13
21st July 2007, 01:24 PM
D2's sitting quietly in the corner, waiting for the NV to be inserted. It'll have to be pretty good to knock the Aurora out of the bag though ...

Interest registered in the D2 ;)

BrisVegas
21st July 2007, 07:13 PM
geez mike, I'm gonna start calling you jarro soon. You've put dibbs in on a handful of D2's on here already! Just jump on ebay and buy one. Quit tyre kicking! :wink:

mikezone13
22nd July 2007, 03:07 PM
geez mike, I'm gonna start calling you jarro soon. You've put dibbs in on a handful of D2's on here already! Just jump on ebay and buy one. Quit tyre kicking! :wink:

I haven't played for 5 weeks due to the fractured wrist, so it's the only thing to keep me occupied at the moment :)

And being compared to jarro must mean I've really made it... ;)

Courty
23rd July 2007, 12:22 PM
Clubs tested:
1. Taylormade R7 Superquad with REAX shaft (weights set to Neutral)
2. Titleist 907D2 with VS Proto
3. Cleveland HiBore XL with Fujikura Fit-On Red

Looks: as Dion said, I've been keen on the Superquad for quite some time.
The main reason for this is the shape. The Superquad is almost identical in shape to the 510TP, only larger (perfect for my eye). The 907D2 looks nice, but it's shallower face pushes the profile out making it look more like the 460cc it is. The HiBore XL is obviously the ugliest of the lot, and although that's slightly offset by the fact I have used them a few times before, it's still in last place. (Note: A HiBore XL Tour has a smaller profile, and would rate even with the D2 here)

Superquad: 3pts
907D2: 2pts
HiBore XL: 1pts

Performance: None of the 3 clubs tested performed exceptionally, due to the poor shaft matches for my swing. The Superquad & D2 were fine with easy swings, but poor when I went after it. The HiBore was very consistent in ballflight & trajectory, regardless of swing, but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't stop it from fading at the end of it's flight.

Superquad: 2pts
HiBore XL: 2pts

Feel: Again, all 3 clubs were let down by their shafts. So I'll ignore that side of things and concentrate on sound and 'solidness' :???:. The D2 had a pleasing 'ting' when struck, as did the HiBore XL (although a little louder). For some reason, I had a pre-conceived idea that the Superquad would be a little tinny, but was pleasantly surprised to find I was mistaken. Compared to the Nike SUMO Squared P.O.S. I tried a little while ago, all 3 of these drivers felt & sounded more than acceptable.

Superquad: 2pts
HiBore XL: 2pts

Results:
Superquad: 7pts
907D2: 6pts
HiBore XL: 5pts

With the advances in clubhead design (CoR/ MOI etc), I think that there would be very little to separate the main players (apart from sound). Most of it would likely come down to personal preference. In this review, that is certainly the case. The only reason the Superquad finished marginally in front is because it is the shape that I like.

Eag's
23rd July 2007, 12:26 PM
Nice writeup mate :smt023

Courty
23rd July 2007, 12:31 PM
Nice writeup mate :smt023

I had to justify the (unsurprising-to-some) result without just saying "TM rules, the rest suck". ;) :p

BrisVegas
23rd July 2007, 12:36 PM
so, at the end of all this, do you now have an appreciation of how vital is to find a shaft that suits you?

In the end, the head pretty much comes down to personal preference.

kpac
23rd July 2007, 12:38 PM
I had to justify the (unsurprising-to-some) result without just saying "TM rules, the rest suck". ;) :p

what about a comparison now of the super quad up against the 510.... i for one would be interested in that..

Courty
23rd July 2007, 12:42 PM
so, at the end of all this, do you now have an appreciation of how vital is to find a shaft that suits you?.

Of course, and I knew this before I started. And you know full well the extent of my search for a suitable shaft for the new driver. ;) The only reason I did the comaprison is because you kept bugging me about how good the D2 is. :mrgreen:

what about a comparison now of the super quad up against the 510.... i for one would be interested in that..

As soon as I get myself a Superquad, consider it done. 8)

3oneday
23rd July 2007, 01:13 PM
I had to justify the (unsurprising-to-some) result without just saying "TM sucks, the rest rule". ;) :psorry, just needed a small but vital correction done ;)

Jono
23rd July 2007, 06:35 PM
Since when did 1+2+2=6? ;)

So in the end, the only difference was the looks ... :roll: :lol:

Courty
23rd July 2007, 06:49 PM
Since when did 1+2+2=6?

:oops:

Ducky
23rd July 2007, 07:00 PM
My recommendation would be to wait until Taylormade brings out their new line of gimmick equipment that has no improvement over the previous generation. I personally cannot wait for the Super Mega Awesome Quad 460!

perci
23rd July 2007, 07:39 PM
My recommendation would be to wait until Taylormade brings out their new line of gimmick equipment that has no improvement over the previous generation. I personally cannot wait for the Super Mega Awesome Quad 460!

Or a 909 D13,Fusion Ft 28,Ping G44,or a Nike Octagon!

Courty
23rd July 2007, 09:36 PM
Clowns. :roll:

goughy
24th July 2007, 05:47 AM
Pod! (http://www.golfreview.com/cat/drivers/carizma/PRD_60953_2948crx.aspx)