PDA

View Full Version : Week Commencing 9th July

Grunt
11th July 2007, 02:24 PM
Played at Campbelltown this morning, was not to bad a round with 34 points. Was one of those rounds where 1 or 2 poor shots really hurt. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and it may be the end of this slump. Hopefully it is not a train coming to flatten me though ;)

34 Points
90 Gross
72 Nett
9 Fairways
6 GIR
1/6 Up & Downs
0/2 Sand Saves

3 Pars
2 birdies :smt023
2 Wipes :(

mikezone13
11th July 2007, 02:47 PM
I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and it may be the end of this slump.

Mate, you've been saying that for months now, maybe years :D ... do you have a goal to work towards?

I notice your sig says "no handicap goal, just play smarter", however you keep recording your score here not whether or not you managed to "play smarter".

How about for your next few rounds you keep a mental stats scorecard and post that here?

For myself it would be something along the lines of...

- How many tee shots did I play "smart" (take water/OoB out of play, ensure I didn't put myself in a position to hit my 'weak' shot [50m pitch or less])
- How was my recovery play, what options did I try; HERO shot or safe play, and what was the outcome?
- From 25-30 feet and beyond on the green was I actively thinking of the hole as having a 1m in all direction buffer zone or just zonking it at the hole
- When chipping did I properly assess the shot and play the percentage shot or attempt shots outside of my "average repetoire"

Flowergirl
11th July 2007, 02:58 PM
Well I played at a beautiful course on Monday. Peninsula Country Club. Great course - beautiful pro shop and clubrooms. Great bar with a well designed indoor/outdoor eating area. It would be a great club to belong to if it wasn't so far away. I played with two lovely women..but played the worst game of golf I have played for over 4 years!!!!!!!!!!!! I had - gulp- 110 - gulp. I can't believe how bad I played. Could not drive for the life of me and had that many unplayable balls and so so many bunker shots that I stuffed up. So humiliating!!!!!!! The majority of the field came in with shockers so at least it wasn't just me.
We were supposed to play at Yarra Yarra yesterday but it was fogged out. We waited for 3 hours for the fog to lift but it didn't happen. It was so so cold - someone's car thermomoter showed 1 degree. Brrrrrrrrrrr.

Played stableford foursomes today with a lovely old lady. We had a handicap of 24 and came in with 33 points which was pretty ok for foursomes. Hit the ball really well - amazing the difference two days and the lack of pressure can do.:smt023

cazandpaul
11th July 2007, 03:55 PM
31 points (12-19) this morning - with apologies to all those south of Tweed Heads it is just too cold to play early at the moment - looking forward to some warmer weather.

Didn't have to pay for lunch which is always a bonus.

Flowergirl
11th July 2007, 04:12 PM
31 points (12-19) this morning - with apologies to all those south of Tweed Heads it is just too cold to play early at the moment - looking forward to some warmer weather.

Didn't have to pay for lunch which is always a bonus.

Cold......don't make me laugh ( or cry)!!!!!!!!:smt087

perci
11th July 2007, 04:59 PM
38 PTs 15/23 runner up in A grade, lousy 15 on the front "what could have been" oh well back to the Pro shop!

BrisVegas
12th July 2007, 07:49 AM
nice score perci. Did you play with the same set of clubs on the back 9?

Eag's
12th July 2007, 08:17 AM

:lol: ;)

Hey Perci, what your Hcp down to these days, you always seem to be playing under it?

perci
12th July 2007, 02:13 PM

Yea they were Dion i didn't get new ones until today.
I'm off 11 still Richard,but after a tip the Pro at Drummonds gave me today that may change.

3oneday
12th July 2007, 03:07 PM
Yea they were Dion i didn't get new ones until today.what's replacing them ???

:lol:

kpac
12th July 2007, 03:08 PM
but after a tip the Pro at Drummonds gave me today that may change.

shit perci what are you swinging now?? :shock: i think you've tried them all mate :lol:

Grunt
12th July 2007, 03:55 PM
Played Bathurst for the 1st time today, it was cold but it did not bother me. Wish I could putt today, had my worst putting day ever, 41 putts!!!! Could not get the pace of the greens today, one hole I would hit it too hard the next too soft. Breaks I would read would not happen and on other holes I would under read. Did not hit any consistency with the putter.

Bathurst GC
28 points
6 Fairways
6 GIR
3/12 Up & Down
0/4 Sand Save
41 putts (lots of 3 putts)

Grunt
13th July 2007, 02:53 PM
Played the Blue plate challenge today at Dunheved GC. Boy was it tough, a couple of holes had the markers 10m behind the plates!:shock:

Played pretty crap again, boy my short game sucks:smt013. On the 11th I hit pin high only to have the wind take it just off the green. It resulted into me having to flop it up and down in about 4 feet and it had to rise 4 feet too. Alas I was not good enough and resulting chip came back to my feet as it landed inches from perfect. I did it again and still stuffed it up. Guess I should have just chipped it up to the far side of the green and 2 putted for points.

Changed back to the Oddesey and the front nine was horrible(22 putts) could not judge how hard to hit the putts. Finally got the hang of it on the back nine and sank some great putts including a 35 footer to finish with par on the last:smt038

98 Gross
80 Nett
28 Points
7 Fairways
3 GIR
36 putts (22 front nine, 14 back nine) 6x 3 putts
5/10 Up & Downs
1/2 Sand Saves

Fishman Dan
13th July 2007, 03:08 PM
.....On the 11th I hit pin high only to have the wind take it just off the green. It resulted into me having to flop it up and down in about 4 feet and it had to rise 4 feet too.

Alas I was not good enough and resulting chip came back to my feet as it landed inches from perfect. I did it again and still stuffed it up. Guess I should have just chipped it up to the far side of the green and 2 putted for points.

Grant - why did you have to flop it up and down in 4 feet? In 2 paragraphs you contradict yourself. You should have had Plan B in mind as soon as you short-sided yourself.

Grunt
13th July 2007, 03:14 PM
Was a severe slope away to the other side of the green and the greens were quick. I know i shouldn't have, but I tried for the 1% shot, it never worked.

mikezone13
13th July 2007, 03:30 PM
I know i shouldn't have, but I tried for the 1% shot, it never worked.

That's not "playing smart" ;)

Grunt
13th July 2007, 03:32 PM
Guess I should change it then Mike, but could not give a **** is not a good signature.

mikezone13
13th July 2007, 04:32 PM
Guess I should change it then Mike, but could not give a **** is not a good signature.

Hahaha.... sounds like you've lost the 'fun' in your golf. Good luck finding it again, maybe buy some new equipment :D

Grunt
13th July 2007, 04:43 PM
No I have fun, but could not give a **** what others think is fun for me or not.

BrisVegas
14th July 2007, 12:11 PM
Windaroo today with poidda, rusty and choppa.

80 gross for 34 points.
12 fairways
12 GIR
35 putts

Hit the ball quite nicely off the tee. Couldn't buy a putt. Missed 8 birdie putts on the back 9! Even one would have been nice...

Grunt
14th July 2007, 01:26 PM
Played at Macarthur Grange this morning, yet another bad/slow start. Got to work out what to do to get out of the blocks. Wiped 3 out of the 1st 4 holes. Came back well to shoot 5 over on the back nine.

Gross 93 (52 front 40 back)
Nett 75
31 points
8 Fairways
4 Gir
1/11 Up & Downs
0/2 Sand Saves

Really need to work on my short game, chipping around greens is horrible. Left at least 5-6 shots out there, Putting was not good either but the poor chipping left long 1st putts (40-50 feet). Back nine was better but still did not have much confidence in chipping around the greens.

AndyP
14th July 2007, 09:47 PM
14/07/2007, Nambour GC, Monthly Honours.

6/12 effective T-shots.
6/18 effective approaches.
3/11 up & down successes.
37 putts.
----------------
7 pars.
5 bogeys.
2 doubles.
1 other.

Score 43-43-86 nett 75 (Par 34-34-68 CCR 68)

My short game is in a very dark place right now. First it was the chipping that disappeared, but now the putting is failing too.

I've been happy with my driving, my irons are going pretty well (especially off the tee), but without my former strength, it feels like I'm playing rubbish.

One positive from the round was that I hit the 17th green in regulation for the first time since April 2005. It was a quality three putt too.........

Next round: 29/7, Frank Foley @ Gailes.

BrisVegas
15th July 2007, 06:36 AM
I've been happy with my driving, my irons are going pretty well (especially off the tee), but without my former strength, it feels like I'm playing rubbish.

Next round: 29/7, Frank Foley @ Gailes.

Grow your hair again Samson. :wink:

AndyP
15th July 2007, 06:55 AM
Grow your hair again Samson. :wink:In my case, the opposite may be true. It has been getting a bit long.

Maybe spinach is the answer.

Courty
15th July 2007, 08:13 AM
My back showed no ill effects from last weeks little mishap, but it was the Palsy's turn to mess with my game. Being unable to blink meant that my right eye was constantly watering, making it almost impossible to focus on the ball properly. 26 pts.

I took out a HiBore XL demo yesterday. The few shots I hit on the range went like an arrow, but on the course, I think I hit 1 fairway with it. Damn thing kept leaking right. I don't think I was strong enough to handle the stiff tip in the shaft. Of course, when I went back to my own driver for the last 2 holes, I hit both fairways. :roll:

oz
15th July 2007, 01:08 PM
Played at Howlong this morning in a stableford event. Very heavy frost and -1* temps made for a brisk mornings golf.

Played reasonably well, but again continued to drop shots in bucketloads. Double bogeys on 2 and 3, and then on 10 and 11 were almost all put down to poor short game shots (including bunkers).

Drove the ball solidly, without being stellar, and my iron play was average. Finished with 33 points, with 3 wipes (see doubles) and a few 1-pointers.

Putting with the claw grip is a keeper for me. Putted beautifully for speed, and even canned a couple of long putts. Missed a 2.5m birdie on the last that would have won me the lions share of the skins pot, though.

If I can sharpen up my short game and wedge play, I will be happy with where my game stands. Back out to 7 after today, though. Time to start heading back in the other direction.

goughy
15th July 2007, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the laugh pete and shaz. Had a ball. Let's not talk golf!

Have you guys noticed how hard it is to give a guy shit about his golf when he takes the piss out of his own game first?? Leaves ya's no where to go eh!!

BrisWesty
15th July 2007, 06:38 PM
Played Robina Woods for the first time with Rusty today. Off the whites & 90 off the stick. I really like this course. Love the changes in elevation on some of the holes. Not quite as mountain goat country as Nambour though.

Hit the cart path on the first for some extra distance. At least it didn't fly off into the scrub. Must have been a good day for cart paths. Our playing partner put his ball over the back of the 18th after landing on the path in front of the green. Watched a guy in one group on the 18th bounce his ball 4 times on the cart path alongside the left hand water without falling into the lake short of the green, and ending up near the green.

Rusty played the 15th in a way that should be put into the course notes. "Hit driver left and skip ball across water up onto bank. Almost fall into water attempting to address ball for second shot. Lay up approx 30m short of green. Chip on to about 10m for 3. Sink putt for par."

Very pleasant day. Some good golf, some ordinary golf, lots of fun!

Stayed at the Radisson overnight. Turns out they were having a Bastille celebratory dinner, so much French music, food, dancing, (no kissing). The staff didn't get into the swing of it, they didn't turn into arrogant Gallic so and sos. Shavey, please let the staff know they were fantastic!

Moe Norman
15th July 2007, 07:46 PM
Dave Mullen Jug - Oxley Golf Club

FWRR: Putting rears ugly head

Well, what a day. I'll start with stats & score

86/80 (47-39)

7/14 Fairways
10/18 GIR
37 Putts
1/3 Up & Down
0/2 Sand Saves
3 Birdies
4 Pars
7 Bogeys
2 Doubles
1 Quintuple Bogey

In short, I putted like a retard. Missed short ones on the 1st and 2nd and lost confidence from that point on, missing putts of less than 3 feet on 1,2,4,5,12 & 14.

I hit a TC Chen on the first (double hit a chip) and after spanking my driver down the 7th to have a good shot at the green from about 190 centre fairway, I took on the corner tree with a 3 iron, struck it very well and it just clipped the very top branch and flew OOB. Ended up 3 jabbing for a 10, I can't actually remember the last time I made a 10!

Birdie on 6 was a drive to about 10 feet short of greenside bunker, and knocked the chip to about 3 inches. Birdied 10 with a solid drive then wedge to about 10 fee, which was easily the longest putt I holed all day. Then chipped in on 11 to think I might actually be able to charge back and post a respectable score. That thought was soon gone when I 3 jabbed the 12th, 13th and 14th all from gettable birdie ooportunities!

Next game is Brookwater next Saturday, need to build some confidence with the putter in the mean time. I seriously lost the plot today and it was embarassing.

BrisVegas
16th July 2007, 06:49 AM
Played Oxley Sunday too. Didn't keep stats. Would have been woeful. I think Saturday's match against Rusty took too much out of me. I couldn't fire up two days in again. Everything was just a bit "off". Just missed a bunch of fairways, just missed a bunch of greens and burned the edge 14 times!

87 gross (47-40) 81 nett.
4 pars
12 bogeys
1 double
1 triple (4 putt)

peter_rs
16th July 2007, 07:52 AM
Middle Ridge
Sat-27pts (I had nothing)
Sunday stats-
34 pts (92) (off the plates due to pennants)
6 GIR
35 putts (avg 3 putts/GIR I was leaving the ball in the wrong spots... above the hole)
4/13 Up and downs.
1/1 up and down from the sand.

After 11 putts for the first 4 holes I changed grips and it helped a bit.

chappy1970
16th July 2007, 02:23 PM
Twice a year we have swap days between 3 local clubs, my club Southern as well as Kingswood and Spring Valley (Andigold's club). On Saturday we went to SV, SV went to Kingswood and Kingswood went to Southern.

Would you believe bloody SV had us playing stroke. Shotgun start had us start on the 7th par 5 and the fun began. This was first round for 3 weeks due to reasons beyond my control, it was also the last time I was going to be able to play with my dad for a few months as he is going in for a new knee on Friday.

Almost everyone struggled with the quick greens, although I absolutely loved them. They were soft but fast; if you know what I mean and I returned with 27 putts for the day including 9, 1 putts, this putting performance was in some assisted by missing too many greens albeit just. But with that said 27 putts is a good return in my book.

Anyway the Par was 71 and the CCR ended up being 75, I saluted with a 71 nett and a drop of .8 to bring me back into single figures which I was really happy with.

81/71
6 Fairways
4 GIR
7/7 Up & Down
0/3 Sand Save
27 putts (1 - 3 putt)

2 highlights for the day, on the 1st- hit a nice drive into the light rough on the left hand side followed up with a laser like 6 iron to 5 foot and nice birdie.
My last hole for the day was the 6th, which is a slight dog leg left from an elevated tee, in fading light I NUTTED the drive over a bunker past the rough onto the fairway leaving 45mtrs to the pin, chip on and 2 putt par (lip out birdie). Measured the drive at 310mtrs....

Chappy

miro
16th July 2007, 04:42 PM
Played only my second round in perhaps 3 months yesterday. The prior year's golf has consisted of 0.1 added to my handicap on a very consistent basis.

So what happens, 39 points -two over off the stick -however the comp today at the club was a "novelty" kinda day so no mens handicapping. Ah the golfing gods can be cruel.

Anyway, who cares about handicap, very happy with the ball striking after a "revelation" at the range (only the second time this year I have practiced). Hopefully, the revelation has an element of permenant cure to it instead of 1 week swing thought. We shall see as the wife and I are now back into our weekly golf game.

Flowergirl
17th July 2007, 07:47 AM
Lost - one golf swing. Lost over the past 4 weeks. Please return to Reenie via Rosebud. Played Portsea yesterday. Perfect conditions. .1. Say no more!!!!!!:evil:
Too much golf lately. Need a break.;)

Bruce
17th July 2007, 08:25 AM
Maybe my memory is selective - but you flushed a fair few balls on Sunday. Especially once you'd warmed up on the back 9. It probably isn't too far away. Have you tried looking behind the couch?

PeteyD
17th July 2007, 08:31 AM
It just flew north for the winter