PDA

View Full Version : Pro V1 - not the X

oz
11th July 2007, 10:45 AM
I've decided I should change golf balls..... for no reason other than I want to.

I bought a sleeve of ProV1's yesterday, which will hit the course this weekend.

I have used the V1x in the past, and liked them OK. Recent ball of choice has been the Srixon Z-URC. In between, I have used HX56's.

I thought I'd give the Pro V1's a try, as I haven't used one for years, and I am interested to see how this years model is. I remember the old one as being fairly soft, launching nice and high, with just enough spin (but not too much).

I will try and have a bit of a practice putt with them before the weekend, to get used to the feel.

miro
11th July 2007, 10:52 AM
I tried the prior model (i.e. the one before the one which was released in the last month or so) and hated it. Feels great, putts great BUT if find them hugely inconsistent when it comes to iron distance. I can't recall any other ball where for no apparent reason i suddenly hit say an 8 iron 20 metres further than expected. Very strange.

Jarro
11th July 2007, 01:02 PM
Great ball, you wont be dissapointed

BrisVegas
11th July 2007, 01:23 PM
I don't mind either ProV1. don't think I'm a good enough golfer to pick the difference. And now that I can get em for $30 a dozen, I'll probably stick with them for a while.

Johnny Canuck
11th July 2007, 01:50 PM
great ball. i sometimes get way too much spin with my irons though.

mikezone13
11th July 2007, 01:55 PM
ProV1x for me... although I do find the Taylormade TP Black to be a very good alternative and is currently the ball of choice due to having a couple boxes on the shelf.

For me (gut feeling) the Pro V1 doesn't play as well as the V1x... but I haven't tested them against each other enough to find out.

oz
11th July 2007, 02:19 PM
I had no qualms with the V1x..... a change is as good as a holiday....

If I decide that I don't like it, the x will get a run, or maybe the TP....

dc68
11th July 2007, 02:26 PM
Likewise I found I got too much zipperoo with the standard V1. The V1x imho is a better all-round seed.

Courty
11th July 2007, 02:50 PM
I prefer the V1s, only for the slightly softer feel around the greens.

Ducky
11th July 2007, 03:26 PM
I haven't tried the 2007 Pro V1, but the 2006 Pro V1 spun way too much for me (I am generally a high spin player anyway). As a result, on windy days (and it can get quite windy here) the ball would start ballooning. The 2006 Pro V1x was a much better fit.

Chris32
11th July 2007, 05:33 PM
I've went from V1x to V1 over summer to get some bite on the greens

Lately with a bit of rain, I have had a few spin off from 20ft on!

Might try some V1x's again soon, but I like the V1's too much for shots around the green. Maybe next time I get some pro shop credit I will give them a run

BrisWesty
11th July 2007, 08:11 PM
I have no idea how any of you can get the ball to spin back. I'm happy if I can just get the pill to stop near where it lands.

Grunt
11th July 2007, 08:13 PM
I have no idea how any of you can get the ball to spin back. I'm happy if I can just get the pill to stop near where it lands.

I hear you BW, spin is over rated!!!

goughy
11th July 2007, 08:19 PM
I once watched jaster spin a ball from the rough in front of a green back into the water. And it was spin, not bounce. We couldn't figure it out.

BrisVegas
12th July 2007, 08:48 AM
I tried a sleeve of the 07 ProV1x's and found little difference to the 06 model. Perhaps they are a touch softer, but hard to say. Still get stacks of spin. I had 3-4 come back off the front of greens last Sat. Admittedly, the greens are like lightning atm...

Matt 3 Jab
12th July 2007, 09:07 AM
Is it just me, or does anyone else not find any difference between any ball they use?

Sure, some do spin more e.g a $2 rock comapred to a $9 3 peice, but any ball for me seems to go the same distance and get roughly around the same spin, i never have a certain ball spin back heaps or run on heaps??

The only reason i play the tour ace is because i like the suits and not numbers and they are cheap! Strata has always been my brand but ive used titleist for many rounds and found no real difference between any of them...

rick3003
14th July 2007, 10:17 AM
The new V1X is softer for sure but not as long. I know alot of low markers that won't play the 07 model.

Personally I have switched from last years V1 to this years V1X and have found the 07 V1x is very close to the 06 V1 in terms of spin around the green.

oz
16th July 2007, 07:40 AM
Quick summary on the V1..... it's a damn good ball. No real shortcomings, IMO, but I wouldn't say that it is brilliant in any one area. Distance was fine, trajectory was nice - high but not ballooning - and it had enough spin to satisfy short game needs. Durability was good, only minor signs of wear after 18 holes with a few skirmishes with the timber. It feels very good, and that is probably this balls' strong suit. Putts beautifully, and feels nice of the clubface around the green, and on full shots. It'll be in the bag, for now.

3oneday
16th July 2007, 07:45 AM
nah, HX56, no better pill 8)