PDA

View Full Version : Toolish vs Andigold - 15th July

Toolish
11th July 2007, 07:01 AM
Thought it best to break this out of Vic Matchplay thread.

Players : Toolish vs Andigold
Venue : Spring Valley
Date : Sunday, 15th July
Time : ??
Referee : Flowergirl

So Andi, what time are we teeing off? And is anyone else interested in playing...

dc68
11th July 2007, 01:53 PM
Here.

Flowergirl
11th July 2007, 01:57 PM
Here.
Thanks DC.:smt060

Ok - as i said in the other thread - is this a goer? I have another invite but this is my first choice.

Toolish
11th July 2007, 06:44 PM
I am in if andig is...earlier the tee time the better...

Bruce
11th July 2007, 07:37 PM
Me too. If it's on I'll be there.
I want to see if last year's form was a freak occurence or not.

Watch out AndiG. Toolish in matchplay tends to shoot the lights out.

andigold
11th July 2007, 08:52 PM
Got a group of 4 booked at 11.15 Sunday off the 1st at Spring Valley.

Bring your A game Toolish, I've only ever lost 1 matchplay match in my life.

From a total of 3 :D

Fishman Dan
11th July 2007, 09:22 PM
Careful guys. This Andy feller tried to bury me alive in the Spring Valley bunkers.

Toolish
11th July 2007, 09:24 PM
I am 2/2 in Ozgolf matchplay...pennant record is more 50:50...

What are you playing off andi...doesn't really matter, I will do a tiger and win with my B game anyhow!

andigold
12th July 2007, 08:05 AM
OK then, we've got

1.andigold
2.Toolish
3.Flowergirl
4.Bruce

For those of you not familiar with SV it's located here (http://www.street-directory.com.au/sd_new/mapsearch.cgi?SuburbID=13135&star=5&PCode=3169&heading=&x=145.12736857627723&RegionID=47&y=-37.95142964356741&level=5&CouncilID=584&StateID=1).

There's a grass tee driving range located between the 1st & 9th fairways, buckets of balls from the proshop for $4. There is also a practice bunker & chipping are there as well as adjacent to the 10th. The guest green fee is $35.00 for the p.m. field (I think 11.15 qualifies as part of the p.m. field, $50 if not)

I am staying at Crown Towers on Saturday night so will arrive only shortly before tee off (around 11.00)

Look forward to meeting you all then.

chappy1970
12th July 2007, 08:07 AM
Andi,
Watch out mate, Toolish takes on freakish skill in the Ozgolf Matchplay arena.

Flowergirl
12th July 2007, 08:36 AM
Thanks for planning this Andigold. It's been too long since we got together for a game. See you all on Sunday.:mrgreen:
What name is the booking under?

chappy1970
12th July 2007, 10:48 AM
Its a shame that i can't play, but i will be experiencing SV in all its glory the day before you guys.

I also would have liked to catch up with Flowergirl to see the waif thin figure she has sculpted

Give him hell Andi,

Flowergirl
12th July 2007, 11:22 AM
Its a shame that i can't play, but i will be experiencing SV in all its glory the day before you guys.

I also would have liked to catch up with Flowergirl to see the waif thin figure she has sculpted

Give him hell Andi,
Chappy.....I will NEVER be thin. Just never going to happen. I'm still a big heifer by any standards...just not a fat cow now. ( sorta feel like you are taking the p*ss:shock: )

andigold
12th July 2007, 11:33 AM
Thanks for planning this Andigold. It's been too long since we got together for a game. See you all on Sunday.:mrgreen:
What name is the booking under?

Booking under Andrew Goldfinch

Flowergirl
12th July 2007, 11:35 AM
Booking under Andrew Goldfinch

Goldfinch - what a cool name.:mrgreen: Andrew Goldfinch - sounds like a Bond villian.

chappy1970
12th July 2007, 12:01 PM
Chappy.....I will NEVER be thin. Just never going to happen. I'm still a big heifer by any standards...just not a fat cow now. ( sorta feel like you are taking the p*ss:shock: )

Taking the p!ss, hardly.

Your hotstuff in my eyes sweety pie.:smt060

Flowergirl
12th July 2007, 12:22 PM
Taking the p!ss, hardly.

Your hotstuff in my eyes sweety pie.:smt060

You make me laugh:mrgreen:

chappy1970
12th July 2007, 12:51 PM
You make me laugh:mrgreen:

You make me.....ah better not continue with that one..take it easy gorgeous:smt060

Toolish
12th July 2007, 09:39 PM
Settle down you two...this thread is meant to be about me and the bond villian...

andigold
13th July 2007, 08:28 AM
There's always a love interest Toolish. :D

Bruce
13th July 2007, 09:13 AM
Hey Toolish - I assume you will be coming up via the West Gate. Is there any chance of you picking me up on the way past?

No drama if you can't but I will lose fewer points with the missus if she can have the car for the day.

Toolish
14th July 2007, 01:33 PM
Bruce...can pick you up, what is your address and how long from your place to spring valley? Need to sort out timing...

Bruce
14th July 2007, 03:45 PM
Awesome mate. PM sent.

Should be less than 40 mins from here.

See ya in the morning.

goughy
14th July 2007, 04:44 PM
Goldfinch - what a cool name.:mrgreen: Andrew Goldfinch - sounds like a Bond villian.

Just keep imagining the blond assassin in 'from russia with love'.

Bruce
15th July 2007, 05:28 PM
So who is gunna go first?

chappy1970
15th July 2007, 06:04 PM
Bruce, don't keep us in suspenders, what was the result????

Bruce
15th July 2007, 06:10 PM
Standard practice is the winner goes first. I'm sure he is home by now....

chappy1970
15th July 2007, 06:57 PM
Bruce, what did you think of the course, I had 71 nett there yesterday which I was happy with.

What did you and FG shot.

Toolish
15th July 2007, 07:15 PM
I won...

Just...

I had to give andi 15 shots....first hole he nearly chipped in from 50m, tap in par and went 1 up. I was thinking, shit, what am I in for here.

I won the 2nd with a par and the third with a bogey (one of the holes I didn't give shots on). 4th was a pair of pars to get the match back to square.

On the 5th andi lost a ball, so that got me back to one up. On the 6th andi had some trouble with his approach and a bogey got me to 2 up.

Come the par 5 7th and I put it in the fairway pot with 2nd, 2 to get out and a total of 7 means it is back to one.

8th a tour class up and down (if i do say-so) gave me a par and the win, 2 up through 8.

More bunker fun for me on 9th meant a pair of 6's got it back to 1.

A bogey at 10 by me and we were back to square...

The 11th was fun, think Bruce is still trying to work out how the fairway could go there! I chipped in for a birdie and andi made a great sand save par to halve it.

12 was a par 5, no shot given, par got me over the line after andi had some tree trouble off the tee. A bogey at 13 gave me a half.

14 is 180m par 3, a 3 iron to 3 foot and a birdie was just good enough after andi barely missed a sand save. So I was 2 up with 4 to play.

A 3 putt double at 15 got it back to 1, and a 3 putt bogey at 16 kept it at 1.

17 is a par 5, again no shot here. I hit one of my better drives of the day, andi missed it right. A 3 iron short left from me for the second while andi was pin high right with his third. I chipped to 8 feet and andi gave himself about 15feet for par. His putt slid by, I dropped the birdie and that was the match.

2/1 to Toolish...

I shot 81 (nett 73), 43/38, played solid but not great (3 x 3 putts didn't help) and andi was a great opponent and host.

Highlights of the day.

Andi's 3rd into the first, 50m out and chipped it to inches. The bandit calls began early. His sand play through the day was exceptional!

Flowergirls driving later in the round, she rips it!

Bruces general play, if he keeps hitting it like that the handicap will tumble, especially with his naked honeymoon belly-broomstick putter firing. His shot into the 180m par 3 14th was not the shot of a 20+ marker.

For me the shot into 14 was nice, chip in on 11 was a great one for momentum. Didn't rip it up like previous ozgolf rounds, but managed the oil leak pretty well...putter needs work though!

Thanks again to Andi for hosting, and to Bruce and FG for the company!

Bruce
15th July 2007, 07:25 PM
I quite liked SV. It reminded me a lot of "home" back in Mildura. Fairly flat, not a lot of real trouble and, of course, the heady aroma of the tip.

Reenie and I didn't really score and just meandered along with the match. I picked up a couple of times out of sheer laziness rather than try and chop my way out of some junk. But I still put up a pretty decent round, so I quickly toted things up once I got home here. Even with those pickups and one other wipe I would have had 39 points. I hit 7 GIRs today (not 8 like I was claiming earlier guys - I mistakenly counted 11 because I parred it) and the new flatstick played ok. I missed a few makeable birdies which I'm not going to kick myself too hard on - I am a chopper after all - so tap in pars are quite satisfying. I didn't find a bunker until the 18th green (What Fishy was doing to find so many I will never know).

And AndiG was a great host. We all had a great time playing golf with good people on a perfect winter's day. The $35 green fee made it excellent value too. It was a good day out.

chappy1970
15th July 2007, 07:29 PM
Well done Toolish, bad luck Andi....sounds like a great match and SV is a good test of golf..
What did the visitors think if the greens? Southern had their swap day there yesterday and the CCR ended up being 75. Everyone battled, but I loved the greens, had 27 putts with 9 - 1 putt greens.

Hopefully a great day was had by all.

Chappy

Flowergirl
15th July 2007, 08:16 PM
I agree - a great day out. The weather was perfect - the sun was shining and no wind.
A great matchplay battle - I was rooting for the underdog - which changed numerous times during the game. They both played a good solid game and Ozgolf was the winner. Congrats Toolish.
Bruce played very well - a huge improvement on when I first played with him 2 years ago. Some great drives and super iron shots. Keep it up you BANDIT!!!!!!! ;) :mrgreen:

I started off very very bad:smt093 - some shocking slices off the tee but I did manage a few good drives and some nice iron approaches which stopped me from looking like a complete wanker. :smt087 Was pretty happy with most of my short game except for the topped approach that almost went into the cafe for a half time latte. Oops.

Didn't mind the greens Chappy. Seeing I'm usually such a bad putter I'd actually say I had no trouble with them at all.

Thanks again for hosting Andigold - and he doesn't look like a Bond villian at all.

Toolish
15th July 2007, 08:21 PM
Chappy...the greens were fine, especially if you were below the hole.. although they generally broke less than I allowed for.

Bruce
15th July 2007, 08:24 PM
So now the cat's out of the bag I can give the rest of the story.

We were a bit rushed to get started thanks to some 'navigational' issues so we were still getting ourselves organised as we reached the 1st green. Andi had chunked his 2nd a bit and Toolish had missed it right. Then Andi played this magnificent running chip that kept on feeding, feeding, feeding to hole and almost went in stopping about 2 inches away. I looked at Toolish and asked him how many shots he was giving. I nearly choked when he told me 15.

There was a lot of Arkitekcha discussion. As we came down the 7th we wondered what the Arkitekt was trying to tell us with the cross fairway bunker. "Don't cold top it in here" seemed to be the message. Toolish ignored this and then had to drop out of the water in the bunker. The sunken ball probably contributed to the Adolf at that point and the eventual loss of the hole.

The 11th was a crucial hole. I had to be told twice just where we were supposed to be heading as I was planning on heading down to the 17th green. Lucky Andi was able to strongly hint (not advise - that would be wrong) that I should put the driver away. Toolish on the front edge, Andi in the greenside bunker to the left for 2. Toolish bins his chip for birdie. Andi splashed out to about 8 feet and then holes a tricky downhill putt to make a great sand save for par nett birdie and the hole was halved. Good golf from everyone in the group on this hole.

The 14th was pegged out at about 185m today. Toolish hit a towering 3I that dropped and stopped at about 4ft. Mine was a little lower and needed to run up a bit more to finish at about 8ft and was top shelf quality :D Andi pulled his driver slightly and ended up in greenside bunker on the left. But Andi gets a shot here and so things are not over yet. He splashes out well again (his bunker play was excellent all day) and he has about 10 ft for a par (nett bird). His putt is a good one and almost dropped finishing inches from the hole. The crowd (both of us) gasped - that would have put some pressure on the birdie putt to halve the hole. Toolish sinks his birdie putt and wins the hole, mine snakes by for the tap in par and Reenie almost made an excellent up and down for par. The golf had really lifted a notch here.

Andi's driving started to let him down a bit towards the end. He was back to the spastic octopus instead of the more sucessful wounded helicopter and so he pushed himself into some trouble on 17 while Toolish used his superior length to get himself the birdie chance to close out the match.

Andi did a pretty good job taking it to 17. This is Toolish on an Ozgolf day after all. Toolish didn't mention above that he played the back 9 in 2 over. It's pretty tough for a bloke off 22 to hold it together in the face of scoring like that. I should know - that's what happened to me last year.

Well done Toolish - still undefeated.

[edit for clarity]

Fishman Dan
15th July 2007, 08:27 PM
Bruce / FG / Toolish - I'm not sure what the course looks like, but how did you find the bunkers? That's the only view of SV I had!

Bruce
15th July 2007, 08:29 PM
Was pretty happy with most of my short game except for the topped approach that almost went into the cafe for a half time latte. Oops.
Almost? I think that area, the ones with all the chairs and tables and stuff, behind the glass wall thing, the area you had to go into to pick up your ball. That bit is called - a cafe.

Thanks again for hosting Andigold - and he doesn't look like a Bond villian at all.

He's probably sitting in his spa right now, stroking a cat and hatching an evil plan.

Grunt
15th July 2007, 08:30 PM
Almost? I think that area, the ones with all the chairs and tables and stuff, behind the glass wall thing, the area you had to go into to pick up your ball. That bit is called - a cafe.

You're Bad Bruce, I like it.:smt023

Bruce
15th July 2007, 08:38 PM
Bruce / FG / Toolish - I'm not sure what the course looks like, but how did you find the bunkers? That's the only view of SV I had!

The one I was in was ok. But quite a lot of them had some pretty severe puddle in the bottom. You are lucky you were in them when you were - you would have had a shit time dealing with the casual water in half of them.

Flowergirl
15th July 2007, 08:54 PM
It wasn't a cafe - it was an outdoor eating area that looked a bit like a cafe.

I'm glad you said Andigold was sittingin a spa stoking his cat - I was a bit concerned.

And Fishman - no wonder you went in bunkers if you played with Andigold. He was in them all day and you probably thought it was polite to follow the host. I only found one fairway one and one greenside ( which I needed 2 shots to get out - I know - test with the feet - opps not allowed to say test - take your stance ( and test the sand with your feet shhhhhhh)

Fishman Dan
15th July 2007, 09:11 PM
And Fishman - no wonder you went in bunkers if you played with Andigold. He was in them all day and you probably thought it was polite to follow the host....

I found Andy to be very polite... but not that polite!!

Toolish
15th July 2007, 09:32 PM
I hit it in two bunkers for the day...both FW bunkers...1 I took two to get out after taking a drop from casual water (I hate that when playing wet bunkders, drops always plug!) and other was fine.

As bruce said there was a lot of water in some of the bunkers.

Now...if they can just get some bigger neon signs I might work out where not to hit it!

Toolish
15th July 2007, 09:34 PM
test with the feet - opps not allowed to say test - take your stance ( and test the sand with your feet shhhhhhh)

Take your stance while 'observing' the feel of the sand with your feet, much like you observe other things on the course....

Now, if you grind in 3 or 4 times people will start looking at you funny!

andigold
16th July 2007, 08:18 AM
As has been said we had a terriffic day, a stirring match with plenty of good golf, mostly from Toolish, but I had a few highlights to. His consistency over the 18 holes was the key, I felt like I was just hanging on all day and it was only a matter of time before he wrapped it up, glad I dragged it out to 17 at least.

My pitch on the 1st from 50 metres to about 2 inches was special, the look on Toolish's face was even better. "Nice chip", he says looking at me with BANDIT written in his eyes. "Thanks", I said completely deadpan, like I do this on the 1st every week.

Great to meet you guys and I enjoyed the match, the company and the nice winter afternoon very much.

Until next year Toolish. :D